SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-09-13, 01:36 PM   #16
Vince82
Engineer

Downloads: 34
Uploads: 0

I don't think it's a starforce issue as you managed to install etc and did see the intro. More likely something to do with your settings and windows 7. so it's very well possible you get the game wont really start when you try the steam version. But you can always try it's not that expensive.
Vince82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-13, 06:10 PM   #17
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

Just a note here, Starforce does not install until you run/start the game the first time with the disk in the drive, like you had to do when the game first came out. That is why the nocd patch was made in the first place, so we could play without having to have the cd in the drive all the time.

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-13, 07:37 PM   #18
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146

I've got windows 7 and i was having the same problem a while back, there was a multi step process that had to be followed to make it work correctly... i never found the time to do it.

now i have recently moved and my SH3 disk is put away in a box, rather than spend the hours finding it... i downloaded it on steam for $9.99

the process for installing gwx was a little trying but it was only a matter of figuring out where steam installs SH3

(C: - steam - steamapps - common - silent hunterIII i think)

anyhow the steam version downloaded and fired up no problem on win 7
Old 03-10-13, 07:55 AM   #19
RhodyDave
Watch

Downloads: 0
Default That's good news

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenRivet View Post
I've got windows 7 and i was having the same problem a while back, there was a multi step process that had to be followed to make it work correctly... i never found the time to do it.

now i have recently moved and my SH3 disk is put away in a box, rather than spend the hours finding it... i downloaded it on steam for $9.99

the process for installing gwx was a little trying but it was only a matter of figuring out where steam installs SH3

(C: - steam - steamapps - common - silent hunterIII i think)

anyhow the steam version downloaded and fired up no problem on win 7
GoldenRivet, thanks for the info! That is a HUGE relief to know the Steam version works fine with Windows 7. I'll be getting it asap.
RhodyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-13, 08:55 AM   #20
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

The original CD does work with Windows 7 & 8, you just have to install it outside of the default location in Program Files (x86). I made a folder on the C drive, named it UBI, pointed the installer there, let it install but, not start, once it was finished installing took the disk out of the drive, installed the nocd patch, made sure it would start up, and it was ready to install GWX. That process works fine everytime. I have recently bought the SH2/SH3 release from Amazon $9.98 just to have around as a backup.

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-13, 11:27 AM   #21
TheDude107
Seaman

Downloads: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyDave View Post
Hi and thanks for the replies! In response to the questions you've asked me;

I'm trying to install an old version of the game on DVD that HAS Starforce protection.

I'm trying to install to the 'admin' (me) account.

My laptop is a Dell Vostro with i5 processor, 32 bit OS, Windows 7 SP1.

I did look through the 'Windows 7' support thread, but didn't see anything about not being able to actually install the game, only problems with running it AFTER install. I can't even get the installer to work.

A question I have about the Steam version - it was mentioned that the Steam version is without MOST of the compatibility issues. Can you provide more details on that please?
The steam version is $9.99(Not trying to cut out subsim, but digital isn't provided here?) and runs fine on a Vista system. Steam version is also patched to 1.4b. Another thing I like is that steam can verify the integrity of your game install afterwards to make sure it's 100% "clean". I've also tried it on my moms Win 7 laptop but not with GWX. GWX works fine in my experience as long as you have a clean install and install GWX as admin. Steam automaticly acts as admin and hates when you set it to run as admin!!!

DRM issues seem to be the problem so that disc will prevent you from playing unless you can fix the starfoce issue. An easy DRM workaround is to try an older disc drive. The speed of a modern disk reader when downloading older games, is usually un-recognized by the DRM. Also the speed at which your drive reads a disk will probably be recognized as a disk burner since the speed probably alot higher then disk drives of the era when SH3 was released.

I'd say try the DVD drive/other drive but I am assuming your computer only has one disk drive since it is a laptop. If you know someone with an older computer then try downloading the install files on that computer, and then burning the files onto a DVD cd with enough memory. (Protip: Your local Library probably runs with XP operating systems) This may help or you can atleast email the files to yourself from the other computer that succesfully downloaded the files.

If you go this route check the memory size of the whole game before buying the DVD's at the store. The standard ones come in a 715mb format which will force you to make two disk(and corrupt the install) for most games past 2008. And yes it is legal as of 2012 to make backups of items you legaly own, screw DRM.
TheDude107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-13, 12:24 PM   #22
ninja turtle
Frogman

Downloads: 249

Quote:
Well, I give up - I'm going to shell out the $9.99 and get it from Steam. I really really hope there are no issues with the Steam version and Windows 7.
Hi matey

I bought SH3 from Steam end of last year as it is more reassuring that it is updated to the latest patch IMO. I have had no real problems playing or adding mods (once I knew what to do).

Hope that helps

Happy hunting

ninja turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-13, 08:15 AM   #23
RhodyDave
Watch

Downloads: 0

The Dude/Ninja Turtle (and the rest too),

Thanks for the input. All helpful and after considering my free time and with the idea that less stress is always better, I'm going to get the Steam version.

I really appreciate the detailed instructions on how to get around the install problems. I am amazed at the tenacity displayed here by so many of you to get this game working. It's a testament to how great this game can be despite the problems. You guys rock!
RhodyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-13, 10:25 AM   #24
guntherprien
Hand rag

Downloads: 170

Golden Rivet has the solution right there.
Although it has been posted very recently by JimBuna,or was it Sailor Steve?
Both are equally a great help to noobs like me and you.
Singed is also a veritable mine of information regarding installation issues.
guntherprien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-13, 11:15 AM   #25
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Wasn't me. I don't have Windows 7 and I never use Steam.
Old 03-12-13, 12:07 PM   #26
ninja turtle
Frogman

Downloads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by guntherprien View Post
Golden Rivet has the solution right there.
Although it has been posted very recently by JimBuna,or was it Sailor Steve?
Both are equally a great help to noobs like me and you.
Singed is also a veritable mine of information regarding installation issues.
I concur

Quote:
The Dude/Ninja Turtle (and the rest too),

Thanks for the input. All helpful and after considering my free time and with the idea that less stress is always better, I'm going to get the Steam version.

I really appreciate the detailed instructions on how to get around the install problems. I am amazed at the tenacity displayed here by so many of you to get this game working. It's a testament to how great this game can be despite the problems. You guys rock!
You're welcome. I'm also very impressed with how friendly and helpful members are in this subsim
ninja turtle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, trouble, windows 7