SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-22-08, 05:46 AM   #1
brandtryan
Engineer

Downloads: 122
Uploads: 0
Too Many Aircraft? Anyone agree?

Ok. I'm in a campaign after battle of Midway, and I'm diving from enemy aircraft the ENTIRE way to Honshu from Pearl. I'm no expert, but didn't we dessimate all the Japanese carriers at Midway? Where are these aircraft coming from?? I don't mind diving from aircraft when I'm in proximity to a Japanese airbase--but this seems a bit too much. Can someone educate me on this?
brandtryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-08, 05:53 AM   #2
Lord_FLB
Seaman

Downloads: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandtryan
Ok. I'm in a campaign after battle of Midway, and I'm diving from enemy aircraft the ENTIRE way to Honshu from Pearl. I'm no expert, but didn't we dessimate all the Japanese carriers at Midway? Where are these aircraft coming from?? I don't mind diving from aircraft when I'm in proximity to a Japanese airbase--but this seems a bit too much. Can someone educate me on this?
Ahoi,

I agree with you. And I feel like the KI of the enemy aircraft is in my small opinion too hard. And the gunmen of my boat are not sharpshooters... It's more than a lucky day to shoot down an aircraft. Long range aircrafts flying too high... and the only chance to shut down others: They comes directly ahead against you... ! Best opinion is to dive ...

Lord_FLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-08, 05:58 AM   #3
brandtryan
Engineer

Thanks for the quick response! I feel like Greg Luganis training for the freaking Olympic Games.
Old 03-22-08, 11:02 AM   #4
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

You need to look around the boards a little before asking a question like "anyone agree?". You will find that everyone agrees, that it was a problem with stock SH4 a year ago, and with stock SH3 three years ago.

Anyway, not just anyone, but pretty much everyone agrees, there are way too many planes in every out-of-the-box version of the game.
Old 03-22-08, 11:50 AM   #5
brandtryan
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve
You need to look around the boards a little before asking a question like "anyone agree?". You will find that everyone agrees, that it was a problem with stock SH4 a year ago, and with stock SH3 three years ago.

Anyway, not just anyone, but pretty much everyone agrees, there are way too many planes in every out-of-the-box version of the game.
I looked around the boards a little. I did a search under the expansion forum for "aircraft" and apparently, missed some relevant posts. I didn't notice this problem in SH3 or SHIV, at least not to this extent. At any rate, thanks for the reply--perhaps the developers will address it sometime.
Old 03-22-08, 12:00 PM   #6
tater
Navy Seal

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 2

There is a bug with the way the campaign deals with "scripted" mission files (battles).

When the CVs are placed in "scripted" missions, while they do not appear in the game world until their appearance date, the AIRGROUP associated with the CV does (at the spawn point of the CV). Since the campaign has to load the mission file for a period of time before and after the actual battle, there's the problem.

The fact that the CV airgroups are poorly done is another issue. They contain about the right number of planes, but they are virtually all "in the air" all the time. In reality, the CV airgroups need to be cut down to no more planes that would reasonably be over the CV on CAP at any given moment. Maybe 3 planes. Maybe.

That's been done already, BTW.
tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-08, 01:30 PM   #7
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Default And.....

If you're foolish enough to let yourself be spotted by an airplane, for instance, by being John Wayne and shooting them down, their last act will be to call in all their friends to help you celebrate. Flak guns are for shooting sampans.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-08, 02:48 PM   #8
tater
Navy Seal

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 2

Yeah, actually fighting aircraft with a submarine is an act of utter desperation, IMO.
tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-08, 09:59 PM   #9
brandtryan
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tater
Yeah, actually fighting aircraft with a submarine is an act of utter desperation, IMO.
I haven't fired around off at an aircraft--I'm just sick of diving all the time around Honshu.
Old 03-22-08, 10:08 PM   #10
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Downloads: 13

I always found SH4's Psychic Teleporting Aircraft Attacks a little strange, and more then a bit annoying...
Old 03-22-08, 10:49 PM   #11
Fortune
Watch

Downloads: 0

Are there mods which make the aircrafts more dangerous and lowering their number?
It's so annoying that sometimes up to 15 planes are attacking you on one day until you are 1000km off the coast.
I tried it and let an aircraft attack(torpedoplane). It flew 7(!) times directly over my boat without throwing a bomb. Than I shot it down
Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-08, 10:54 PM   #12
Doolittle81
Commodore

Downloads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortune
Are there mods which make the aircrafts more dangerous and lowering their number?
It's so annoying that sometimes up to 15 planes are attacking you on one day until you are 1000km off the coast.
I tried it and let an aircraft attack(torpedoplane). It flew 7(!) times directly over my boat without throwing a bomb. Than I shot it down
Reduced aircraft MOD:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=131709
Doolittle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-08, 11:47 PM   #13
edjcox
Engineer

Downloads: 61
Default Aircraft Numbers

Besides the inordinate amount of aircraft, the type employed and their unlimited numbers of bombs and depth charges needs fixin...

Also aircraft unless especially configured tended not to fly to far from base in darkness due to the lack of IF ability in early fighters. As John Kenedy's boy found out flying out there over water at night and in the wrong weather and lighting conditions you will end up in the drink... Attack aircraft almost flew a curfew and this of course was surface run and battery recharde time for submariners...

Aircraft realism is a poor element of the game in so far as tactics are concerened...

Still love the game...
edjcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-08, 03:34 PM   #14
Elder-Pirate
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 29

Since the aircraft has been discussed from Midway to Honshu in this thread I am wondering what this has to do with "SH4 U-Boat Missions" ? Have you people checked in what forum this thread lies?

Talk about HIJACKED. lol
Old 03-23-08, 03:36 PM   #15
brandtryan
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elder-Pirate
Since the aircraft has been discussed from Midway to Honshu in this thread I am wondering what this has to do with "SH4 U-Boat Missions" ? Have you people checked in what forum this thread lies?
Because I've only had this problem in the U-Boat add-on! Sheesh.