SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-23-09, 09:39 PM   #121
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitdreamer View Post
i'm glad someone is finally doing this, and that it is finally being done well.

are you pretty set on releasing this for sh4? do you think you may move to sh5 as it nears release or create a version for sh3?
I am very flexible regarding the platform - almost everything I want to do can be done in SH3 as well. However, I like the better human figures, terrain, and other features of SH4.

By the by - I've been sick as a dog or working like a dog for several days now. I hope to have better news soon.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-09, 12:34 AM   #122
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
I am very flexible regarding the platform - almost everything I want to do can be done in SH3 as well. However, I like the better human figures, terrain, and other features of SH4.

By the by - I've been sick as a dog or working like a dog for several days now. I hope to have better news soon.
you gotta rest some, such a campaign is for the long run anyways.

keltos

keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-09, 02:01 AM   #123
Starforce2
Planesman

Downloads: 25

http://silenthunter.filefront.com/ne...19141918;44403

Here ya go! Good luck! If you want more updates, just pass me some pix and we'll do another one...or host the beta
Old 10-25-09, 02:23 PM   #124
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Thanks very much for the promotion and the photographs, people.

Will be working on several things in the coming days:

-Additional modifications to stock uniforms
-A selection of period merchant ships
-Work on large British units, like the "Lion" & "Iron Duke"
-Slight modification to the interiors - hydrophones need to be removed because to my knowledge all WWI subs used "carbon microphones" instead.
Old 10-26-09, 09:38 PM   #125
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

I noticed that some of the merchant hulls I designed have unusual dark patches on them when they are rendered by the game. Will use updated versions of the Merchant Fleet Mod hulls instead and add the more detailed superstructures & human figures I've been working on - then post the results.

Here's a sample of some of the sources I have (primarily, Duncan Haws's excellent books on old-fashioned merchantmen.)

Old 10-27-09, 02:05 AM   #126
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Preview picture of some changes to the land textures (being tested at the moment in SH3). They were creating by cropping and merging some aerial photographs. I also went into Terrain.cfg and made some very simple changes to the tiles per kilometre & image dimension sections.

While looking at the textures I noticed that Northern Germany seems to have quite a few palm trees - is this a stock bug, or is it from a mod that I'm using?

Old 10-27-09, 10:08 AM   #127
Admiral Von Gerlach
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 358

I am working on getting a copy of a Scapa Flow scenery that was done for another sim by a very talented Modder ..once i get a hold of it, i will pass it on.

Also do you need a Sampson Class US DD? just had a buddy make a 3D model of one, he is doing the US Fleet circa about 1912 ship by ship..has done a observation kite balloon towable by the capital ships too. Is in either OBJ or Poser file if you can use either. I can ask him about use if you are interested...might save some work. He has also done a good SMS Emden CL, and three early US BBs, a coatal monitor and a steam launch.

Last edited by Admiral Von Gerlach; 10-27-09 at 11:11 PM.
Admiral Von Gerlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-09, 12:30 PM   #128
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Von Gerlach View Post
I am working on getting a copy of a Scapa Flow scenery that was done for another sim by a very talented Modder ..once i get a hold of it, i will pass it on.

Also do you need a Faragutt Class US DD? just had a buddy make a 3D model of one, he is doing the US Fleet circa about 1912 ship by ship..has done a observation kite balloon towable by the capital ships too. Is in either OBJ or Poser file if you can use either. I can ask him about use if you are interested...might save some work. He has also done a good SMS Emden CL, and three early US BBs, a coatal monitor and a steam launch.
Thanks. I'd be very much interested in the scenery and the ships. If he has other vessels it's even better. Please do contact him! Of course he'll get all the credit he desires.
Old 10-27-09, 09:31 PM   #129
Admiral Von Gerlach
Seasoned Skipper

ok will do ..his name is Chris Schell, and he is doing some really nice ships. If they are OBJ format i figured you guys might be able to convert them into the mod...if he gives permision, he has given permission for people to use them as long as it is non commerical but i know we would all want to ask him about it directly.

so far he has done the USS Virginnia, USS Connecticut, USS Minnesota, USS Wilkes Sampson class DD and a monitor and a harbor defense ship and steam launch and the SMS Emden, here is his page:

http://www.sharecg.com/pf/theschell

he does really nice work i will e mail him tonight

UPDATE: Chris has replied and is open to considering the idea, he is honoured to have his ships thought of ..he said he thought SHIV looked like a wonderful game but probably too much for his comp I have PMd you his note iambecomelife

Last edited by Admiral Von Gerlach; 10-27-09 at 11:10 PM.
Old 10-27-09, 10:30 PM   #130
Admiral Von Gerlach
Seasoned Skipper

HEre is the reply from Chris Schell about possible inclusion of some of his ships, the WWI era US Dreadnoughts, support ships, and the German Light Cruiser Emden if they are compatible with the format here...and if things feel comfortable for him...re the attribtion and protectoin of his ships ....he has wanted to have them available freely .anyway..here is his note...

Quote:
Hey Chris...

Interesting offer... i checked out the site link you provided and it looks lik a wonderfull game... though i doubt my comp could handle it.. lol... old p4's just aren't up to snuff any more...

I would have a couple of concerns with your idea... first... i would need to be guaranteed both credit and retention of the rights to my models... as you know i've put alot of work into them and don't want to lose my own rights to my work... we'd have to set up some sort of agreement where in terms of use etc are set out word by word and binding... (i went through something similar when i agrred to allow my works for inclusion on the artist3d magazine cover disc)

second... would this be a free to download mod... or a paid add-on? if it's a paid item.. ie users would have to buy the mod then i may have some further requests/concerns... i've made my items free for everyone as you know and don't want them being resold (as per my readme's)... if you could give me further details i may consider the request in detail...

over-all i am honoured by the request and a little amazed... i really don't think my models are that great...lol... and i thank-you for the thought...

respectfully
Chris
two of Chris's ships:

USS Connecticut Dreadnought

SMS Emden Light Cruiser of the Far Eastern Squadron

Last edited by Admiral Von Gerlach; 10-27-09 at 11:04 PM.
Old 10-27-09, 11:07 PM   #131
theschell
Seaman

Downloads: 0

I just thought i would introduce myself... my name is Chris schell and i'm the modeller that Adm. Von Gerlach was refering... i also should mention that i've produced a lightship... i may be interested in helping out... pending further discussions on the matter... and thank-you for your interest...
theschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-09, 11:16 PM   #132
Admiral Von Gerlach
Seasoned Skipper

Ahoy there Chris, nice to have you Aboard!.

here is one of Chris' models i really enjoy, being a airship enthisisast...it would be great if we could enable observation balloons and even zepplins!

Kite Observation Balloon by Chris Schell
Old 10-27-09, 11:29 PM   #133
theschell
Seaman

Ty Admiral... it's a pleasure to be aboard... theschell reporting for duty and ready to haul anchor sir!... lol... and ty for your vote of confidence with my models... i'm still trying to figure out how to reduce the poly counts without losing details... ugh... it's a long process with a steep learning curve...
Old 10-28-09, 12:40 AM   #134
theschell
Seaman

I understand that iambecomelife is the guy to talk to about details for the possible use of my models etc... i beleive Adm. Gerlach was going to provide my contact information to him... feel free to email me so that we can discuss the idea in depth...
Old 10-28-09, 01:03 AM   #135
Admiral Von Gerlach
Seasoned Skipper

Yep I sent him your e mail