SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-30-19, 08:45 PM   #301
jlan5031
Swabbie

Downloads: 123
Uploads: 0
Default Museum crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Not getting the Museum to run is either a not-quite-right activation, or not enough RAM in the computer, or LAA is not activated on the SH4.exe file. Does the game run fine with FotRSU activated, or are you experiencing "stutter" after you get away from the home port? You will almost always experience some stutter near busy ports, what with all of the ships and airplanes around those areas.
Quote:

Go into your game folder and find the SH4.exe file. Right-click on it, and choose the "Properties" choice at the bottom of that context menu with a left-click. On the first "General" tab of the Properties window is the "Attributes" section. There is a little square tick box next to "Read-only". Is that empty? If it has a check mark in it, click on that to clear it, and then click the "OK" button. Now find the "Large Address Aware...exe" file. Yours might be "2_0_4", or it might be something different. Run that little applet. You will see a little ellipse box for "Step 1. Select an Executible" toward the upper-right of that little window, like [...]. Click on that, and navigate to the folder with your game and find the SH4.exe file again. "Step 2. Large Address Aware Flag" should now be active. If that little box has a check mark in it, you are good to go with LAA. If not, click in the box to "set" the flag, and then "Step 3. Commit Changes" becomes active, and you click the "Save" button and you're finished. Click the little [X] button in the upper-right to close.

If LAA was set, then post back with your computer specs, such as cpu, graphics card, how much RAM the computer has, how much RAM the video card has, your OS, and whether it is 32-bit or 64-bit. We'll see if there is any "weaknesses" there.

Now, other things to check: 1. The "Save" folder - did you empty that before you ran FotRSU? That defaults to "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \ SH4", unless you've changed it. The "UserName" is the name you log-in with, and "Documents" might be "My Documents", depending upon your OS. If you have WinXP, then it would be C:\Documents and Settings \UserName \My Documents \SH4". You have to delete the contents of that folder before you start to use FotRSU, else there will be issues with certain aspects of the mod not completely updating the game, and the Museum for sure would not work.

Let us know what you have there Pranne and - dote! cdrsubron7 beat me to it!... lol
The Ultimate update of FOTRS seems to work well except for the Museum feature.

I've done all of the above, and selecting "Museum," clicking on the "Yes" I have a ticket, the Museum window opens, the red line fills its space, and after a short wai8t, the game CTDs. I've a new Dell Game Computer with Windows 10. I don't know how to pass the performance data to you, but it's better than my old Windows 7 computer, and, as far as I know, everything worked well. As for the Museum, it works in my clean SH4 backup. The only thing that might be the problem, though my LAA completed as advertised, but it doesn't appear in my SH4 game folder. Is therre something else I might try?
jlan5031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-19, 01:12 AM   #302
Michael Wood
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 314

Same here. Activate LAA. Start game.Click on museum, answer "Yes", have ticket. Museum load screen appears and after 10 seconds or so, CTD. Have HP computer with 4 GB RAM and Windows 7.0.
Michael Wood is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-19, 09:01 AM   #303
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Zelda View Post
Historically, I don't believe US subs patrolled on the surface with a flag flying on the rear. I maybe wrong, but anyway, is there any simple way to remove the flag from the rear when surfaced? Can you point me to the correct file to make a simple text edit? Thanks
Changing the flag in FotRSU is not an easy thing - yet. Plans are in the works to make it that you can have a flag there when in port, remove the flag, and / or put the flag on the cigarette deck - maybe. No promises, but Nodes need to be changed to allow such, and it would involve the use of extra add-in mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlan5031 View Post
[LEFT]
The Ultimate update of FOTRS seems to work well except for the Museum feature.

I've done all of the above, and selecting "Museum," clicking on the "Yes" I have a ticket, the Museum window opens, the red line fills its space, and after a short wai8t, the game CTDs. I've a new Dell Game Computer with Windows 10. I don't know how to pass the performance data to you, but it's better than my old Windows 7 computer, and, as far as I know, everything worked well. As for the Museum, it works in my clean SH4 backup. The only thing that might be the problem, though my LAA completed as advertised, but it doesn't appear in my SH4 game folder. Is therre something else I might try?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Wood View Post
Same here. Activate LAA. Start game.Click on museum, answer "Yes", have ticket. Museum load screen appears and after 10 seconds or so, CTD. Have HP computer with 4 GB RAM and Windows 7.0.
FotRSU does not get released without it passing "The Museum Test", which is for the team members to all be able to load and run the museum smoothly - with ALL assets properly skinned. With that said, I will mention this: I have the weak-link computer of the group, with a quad-core Core2 Duo Q8350 (or whatever it is) that has multiple WD 2TB Black HD, 8 gig of RAM and an nVidia GTX 560Ti card, so I don't think we would notice if we had gone beyond a 3 gig size for the game's Museum. Your Windows OS system will eat at least 1 gig of RAM, unless you change the Boot ini stuff, which is NOT recommended, even for those with 4gig and a 32-bit OS, though it is possible to do.

Just to be certain though, and for others benefit, after you run LAA the first time (which I have in my FotRSU game folder from the mod activation), run the applet again, and do the "Step 1: Select an Executable" and choose the correct FotRSU SH4.exe file. Using the "Basic" screen, you should see this:

Notice that the "Step 2: Large Address Aware Flag" is already set. The Intermediate and Advanced mode of the applet will show "True". Just make certain of that. Generally speaking though, if the game runs and you do not have stutters or errors, then you have probably used LAA (or another utility) correctly on the SH4.exe, because the game will not run very well without it, especially when encountering much traffic or airplanes. Let me know, if you folks that do have trouble with the Museum would, how much RAM you do have. We might have to bump our "recommended" RAM from 4GB to 6-8GB, with 4GB as the minimum now...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-19, 09:06 AM   #304
james_nix
What's happenin' Cap'n'?

Downloads: 719
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Changing the flag in FotRSU is not an easy thing - yet.
Can't you just erase the line in the \Data\Submarine\ .eqp file?
Old 12-31-19, 09:07 AM   #305
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_nix View Post
Can't you just erase the line in the \Data\Submarine\ .eqp file?
Yes, you could try that, but I was talking about making it "variable" somewhat. Currently, there is only a flag node on stern.

Old 12-31-19, 11:20 AM   #306
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1105
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Historically, I don't believe US subs patrolled on the surface with a flag flying on the rear. I maybe wrong, but anyway, is there any simple way to remove the flag from the rear when surfaced? Can you point me to the correct file to make a simple text edit? Thanks
PM Sent.
Old 12-31-19, 11:30 AM   #307
s7rikeback
I break things

Quote:
Changing the flag in FotRSU is not an easy thing - yet. Plans are in the works to make it that you can have a flag there when in port, remove the flag, and / or put the flag on the cigarette deck - maybe. No promises, but Nodes need to be changed to allow such, and it would involve the use of extra add-in mods.

FotRSU does not get released without it passing "The Museum Test", which is for the team members to all be able to load and run the museum smoothly - with ALL assets properly skinned. With that said, I will mention this: I have the weak-link computer of the group, with a quad-core Core2 Duo Q8350 (or whatever it is) that has multiple WD 2TB Black HD, 8 gig of RAM and an nVidia GTX 560Ti card, so I don't think we would notice if we had gone beyond a 3 gig size for the game's Museum. Your Windows OS system will eat at least 1 gig of RAM, unless you change the Boot ini stuff, which is NOT recommended, even for those with 4gig and a 32-bit OS, though it is possible to do.

Just to be certain though, and for others benefit, after you run LAA the first time (which I have in my FotRSU game folder from the mod activation), run the applet again, and do the "Step 1: Select an Executable" and choose the correct FotRSU SH4.exe file. Using the "Basic" screen, you should see this:

Notice that the "Step 2: Large Address Aware Flag" is already set. The Intermediate and Advanced mode of the applet will show "True". Just make certain of that. Generally speaking though, if the game runs and you do not have stutters or errors, then you have probably used LAA (or another utility) correctly on the SH4.exe, because the game will not run very well without it, especially when encountering much traffic or airplanes. Let me know, if you folks that do have trouble with the Museum would, how much RAM you do have. We might have to bump our "recommended" RAM from 4GB to 6-8GB, with 4GB as the minimum now...

Just to confirm what Propbeanie has said, we extensively test each release phase via the museum, before we make any releases... I have now just tested mine and it fully works as expected.

Guy's, can you make sure you have enabled LAA / 4GB Patch and that your install is out of the "Program Files" file structure, I have mine in C:/Games, also make sure before you start a new game, that your saved folder is cleared, as files left here can and will conflict and cause problems with newer installs and possible changes we have made.

Also make sure you are only running mods that are included in the FotRSU download, as these may be effecting your game stability.

And lastly, please make sure you have used MultiSH4, so that each install of a mega mod has it's own save game folder.
Old 12-31-19, 11:38 AM   #308
Michael Wood
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 314

Quote:

User error. I had been playing RFB in a different installation. When I opened the LAA in the FOTRS installation, I forget to recheck step two, which ya have to do in each installation. Works fine, now.
Michael Wood is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-19, 11:56 AM   #309
propbeanie

Thank you for that Michael Wood. So you are fine with 4gig and the Museum then. Kuhl. I was worried that we had too much "bloat"... but when I got to thinking about it, and looked at the size of the mod and underlying ship / plane structures, we are nowhere near that much memory usage, just going by file sizes... phweww!

Old 12-31-19, 12:00 PM   #310
s7rikeback
I break things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Wood View Post
User error. I had been playing RFB in a different installation. When I opened the LAA in the FOTRS installation, I forget to recheck step two, which ya have to do in each installation. Works fine, now.
Thanks Michael, thats good news you are now sorted.
Old 12-31-19, 02:05 PM   #311
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Computer specs and Museum question

propbeanie,
My computer is a 10 year old, Toshiba laptop with Windows 7 Home, 64-bit, IntelCore 1.3 CPU 380@2.53GHz with 4.0GB, Intel HD graphics. I have installed LAA. The game plays very well on my laptop.

I've never tried the "Museum" until today. It took a long, long time to load but finally came up. The ships sailing on the ocean look really nice but I've got to say, in my humble opinion, it's an option I'd never look at again. The recognition book is all I'd need.

This Museum must take up a lot of memory and computer usage?

Is there away to delete it totally or partially from SH4 and FotRS? Game play is most important, not the Museum. Just one man's opinion. Thanks.
Old 12-31-19, 02:28 PM   #312
propbeanie

Quote:
propbeanie,
My computer is a 10 year old, Toshiba laptop with Windows 7 Home, 64-bit, IntelCore 1.3 CPU 380@2.53GHz with 4.0GB, Intel HD graphics. I have installed LAA. The game plays very well on my laptop.

I've never tried the "Museum" until today. It took a long, long time to load but finally came up. The ships sailing on the ocean look really nice but I've got to say, in my humble opinion, it's an option I'd never look at again. The recognition book is all I'd need.

This Museum must take up a lot of memory and computer usage?

Is there away to delete it totally or partially from SH4 and FotRS? Game play is most important, not the Museum. Just one man's opinion. Thanks.
I would be afraid to remove the Museum from the game. My guess is that it was a "test" area for the developers, and they thought it cool enough to leave it in the "game", somewhat like the Mission Editor, in that neither would be considered to be truly "complete". If an "asset" runs OK in the Museum though, it will run in the game. The same cannot be said for the ME... But these are just another "mode" of the game. Once you run any mode of the game, you should exit the game, and then re-start it before going into another mode of the game. Definitely not 2020-tech programming, but actually rather good for 2005 when it was developed for SH3...

As to your computer, a Dell first-gen Core i3 laptop is what I was using for a long while, until I had a catastrophic hard drive crash. Replacing the hard drive got me a few more months out of it. We had already cannibalized another similar computer for its RAM to boost the one working laptop to 8gig of RAM, otherwise, it would be very similar to yours. You might be able to limit the onboard graphics to 512k in order to free some more shared RAM, but my Dell did 1024 and only 1024, so with 4 gig, there was only 3 gig available for the computer itself, of which, the OS would eat another 1gig, which left only 2 gig for the game... - You might be able to find some RAM for a bargain basement price. Then again, it might not be available any longer...

Edit: Just one last little point - When you are playing the Career mode, only certain files load. The rest of the game is "idle" on the hard drive, not used and not in RAM. When you play the SingleMission mode of the game, a different set of files is loaded. Some of the career files come in, but not all of them. Similarly to when using the career, the rest of the game is "idle" on the hard drive. Same with the SinglePatrol "mode" files. The Multi-Player portion loads almost a completely different set of files, with none of the career coming in, and mostly only the ships, planes & subs and other similar "assets" come in, along with the LOC and NMS files. In all of the above "modes" of the game, all "assets" only generate (aka: "spawn") into the game when within the "spawn range", which is somewhere around from just beyond the horizon (18-20km), guessing about 24 to 32km away. You will at times see the "stutter" of them generating in the game as their 3D asset is drawn. When you run the Museum, every last ship and plane involved in the game is run through and generated, which is what makes it a useful "trouble-shooting" tool. The Career and other modes do the "checks" on-the-fly (very difficult to tell what caused a CTD), while the Museum does it prior to display. This is not to say that if the Museum loads that all is well... You still have to click through the list to find any "problem" assets, which will usually crash the game. Then you can run through the list to find which one crashed you. But in all cases, the game apparently does not release its 'buffer' RAM, or maybe Windows doesn't feel the need to release it, since this is a 'legacy' app, but either way, you will usually have to exit completely from the game so that such RAM is properly released, then re-start the game to play the other "mode". As such, the Museum might take up some minimal hard drive space, but most of it is the actual game parts...

Last edited by propbeanie; 12-31-19 at 02:54 PM. Reason: By The Way...
Old 12-31-19, 02:54 PM   #313
jlan5031
Swabbie

Downloads: 123
Default Museum

Well, the problem solved itself. I was aware I had two versions of SH4/FOTRS/Ult enacted in their respective game folders. One was in D Drive, the other in C. D worked and C didn't. So I deleted the C version changed the address of the D version to a C address. All works well. I have no idea why D worked better than C. I suspect it might have LAA, but both games were enabled.
Anyway, all's well that ends well. Thank you for your input.
jlan5031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-19, 03:01 PM   #314
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlan5031 View Post
Well, the problem solved itself. I was aware I had two versions of SH4/FOTRS/Ult enacted in their respective game folders. One was in D Drive, the other in C. D worked and C didn't. So I deleted the C version changed the address of the D version to a C address. All works well. I have no idea why D worked better than C. I suspect it might have LAA, but both games were enabled.
Anyway, all's well that ends well. Thank you for your input.
Were you using MultiSH4 with the different copies of the game and two FotRSU activations? If not, they each interfere with the other, because they would both use the "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4" Save folder. This would make your "Save on entering..." and "Save on leaving" auto-saves fight with you, as well as, if you have one little slight difference in the files, such as changing the map icons, you could possibly crash out both copies as they each look for a different set of files. Read-up on "MultiSH4 1.5" and how to use it. It is actually rather simple, but there is a set "procedure" to use it. After you have your "pristine" install of SH4, you use MultiSH4 first then, to create a new Save folder. Then you can use LAA to flip the SH4.exe header bits. If you try it the other way, MultiSH4 will usually not recognize the SH4.exe file, and report a "FileManager" error back to you. After correcting that (if necessary), activate your mod, and play the game...

Old 01-01-20, 07:02 PM   #315
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Light Cruiser Katori ASW vs Light Warship Katori w/scout planes?

propbeanie,
I went through the Japanese and merchant sections of the "Recognition Book" (not the Museum) to make a alphabetical list with draft measurements for myself.

I found what might be a duplication and/or error: the Light Cruiser Katori ASW with a draft of 18.7 feet vs. a Light Warship Katori w/scout planes with a draft of 34.4 feet. I believe the 34.4 foot draft if obviously wrong. Something minor you might wish to look into?

Update on my CTDs: My campaign is now on June 17th, 1944 patrolling area 4 just off the coast of Japan within a couple hundred nautical miles of Tokyo in a Gato sub. I've had no ships of any kind to deal with but numerous aircraft to evade. They either passed out of visual sight or we would dive to allow them to pass.

The very last aircraft (moments ago) was probably 10 to 15NM away, heading straight for me but not yet in visual range; I made a "Save" and then resumed the game to begin a dive. I watched its radar course on the Nav Map to see it make a very odd semi-circular 180-degree turn away from me. Too far away to have launched a torpedo or bomb. No other enemy aircraft had done this, and there have been many, maybe 50 plus encounters in this patrol area so far, but in none of the other encounters did I make a save. I immediately had a CTD as these thoughts crossed my mind. Well, maybe another clue to ponder? Any progress?