SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-19-20, 07:40 AM   #1651
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
This is a new install just for the revised v1.2. Deleted game from my G: drive; deleted v1.1; deleted SH4 folder; copied pristine version of SH4 v1.5 to my game drive G:; applied new v1.2 and selected extra mods; turned off read only; applied LAA; reset game options, and started a new Fleet Boat Campaign with USS Tambor , Dec. 9, 1941 out of Midway to Area 7 for 10 days:

Before leaving port, I thought I'd move the deck gun from Bow to Stern (I like to be going away from possibly armed ships I've already torpedoed). It was only after going out to sea and reaching the Patrol area that I found I have no crew slots for a rear mounted deck gun! It let me swap the gun from bow to stern alright, but then failed to create the deck gun crew slots.

I have since deleted the game progress, gone back to the office, and allowed the Bow deck gun to remain as originally assigned. Can't go to sea without it, especially early in the war. I will restart the patrol with Bow gun in place.
OK torpedobait, I have tried to break the Tambor at Midway, December 9, 1941 also, and have failed... here's my list:
Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[F:\Games\FotRSUv12\MODS]

100_FalloftheRisingSun_UltimateEdition_v1.2_EN
399c_NoScrollNavMap - Same Sized Dials
454c_EasyAOB_InputTargetDistanceOnTBT
650_OriginalFOTRS_Dudz
901_Strategic_Map_Symbols
GE37MMsoclu
I do not have a camera mod in my mix, due to issues on this desktop with it (for whatever reason - which we'll try to dig into later). Here is a series of boring screen grabs:

In the Captain's Office in-base, prior to departure

Crew page in the Captain's Office in-base, prior to departure

Swapped the guns...

Double-check of crewing page...

Leaving for patrol, gun crew positions empty...

Crewing the gun, still sitting in the Midway area...

Pre-save Battle Stations called, still sitting in the Midway area... note the machine gun manned, deck gun is not

Post-save Battle Stations called, still sitting in the Midway area... note the machine gun and deck gun are now manned

"OK for departure, sir!"

Now, I have tried three times now, and the result is the same all three times... Can you try a new career with a new skipper's name (be sure you use a new skipper's name!) for a test please? If anyone else has started from Midway, can you let us know, please?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-20, 08:35 AM   #1652
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184
Uploads: 0

I started at Midway in my new 1.2 Gar career and I also cleared out the Mods folder and the Documents folder, I also checked the game files with that JSGME thingie.

I started with a Gar on the 15th January 1942 and I also went with a bow Deck Gun, its now May 10th 1942 and the upgrades so far are the Half Cut Conning Tower, 20 mm Machine Gun and the SJ Radar, no submarine problems here Mr beanie.

About those 2 sonar line files Mr beanie, as you've downloaded them they now belong to you, do what ever you want with them.
1 more thing, I've been all over the Northern Pacific and I've never ever seen the Shinano.

Last edited by Moonlight; 08-19-20 at 08:46 AM.
Moonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-20, 11:23 AM   #1653
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
I started at Midway in my new 1.2 Gar career and I also cleared out the Mods folder and the Documents folder, I also checked the game files with that JSGME thingie.

I started with a Gar on the 15th January 1942 and I also went with a bow Deck Gun, its now May 10th 1942 and the upgrades so far are the Half Cut Conning Tower, 20 mm Machine Gun and the SJ Radar, no submarine problems here Mr beanie.

About those 2 sonar line files Mr beanie, as you've downloaded them they now belong to you, do what ever you want with them.
1 more thing, I've been all over the Northern Pacific and I've never ever seen the Shinano.
Good. Thanks for that... We'll test and number, add some documentation, then include your private fone number for tech support.

A couple of questions about what I did in "Orange" above. The Shinano was a one-trick pony in its day, and was only useful as a fireball when it encountered the Archerfish. It was enroute for final fitting, including proper ventilation systems as well as water-tight compartmentalizations. Just happened to catch it at the correct time, else the story would be different. Under normal circumstances, no one would encounter the ship, unless in the Museum... We do NOT have this mission in the game, and the ship may well be deleted due to not only skinning issues, but construction issues...

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/ins...g-shinano.html
watch out for the ads!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japane...arrier_Shinano

http://combinedfleet.com/ships/shinano

A most interesting set of circumstances. Anyway, you also mention the Northern Pacific and Midway starts... I am curious if you ever were assigned a "Polar Circuit" mission (you too, torpedobait), and if so, what was the traffic like during your journey, to, during and from the patrol area(s)? Thanks.

Old 08-19-20, 11:27 AM   #1654
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I used the Tambor as the "template" for all the others, since the Tambor boat was the one that I ~always~ had function correctly after adding back in the fore and aft guns... I do know this though about the whole thing:

1. While in the Captain's Office, you can swap ends with your gun, ~BUT~, always go to the crewing screen to be certain crew positions followed. If they did not, then put the gun back the way it was. Make certain the original positions came back in. You can go on from there, or if you want to try again, exit the area, the Captain's Room, back to the Main Menu and try again with another new career, or exit the game and come back, lather rinse repeat...

2. If you get your gun where you want it, and you have crew positions, you can leave on Patrol. Once on patrol, beyond the home port area, crew up the guns. Then Save the game, exit and return with a reload. Your crew should now show at Battle Stations when called. If you do not Save, exit and Load, they usually do not show at the guns, though they are on the crew page. This only happens when you move the gun.

3. Once you move the gun, it will be weird whenever you dock (the Save data is different), and the "upgrade" to the next gun is a 50-50 crap shoot of retaining the gun positions. Most times when that happened in testing, it did at least put the crew back in the Damage Team, but not always - hence the reminder green circle when coming back in, for the player to Save and move their crew off the guns.

4. With the current set-up, I was able to use the wolfeinsamer method of removing the "AdditionalRepository" text from the crew positions. However, now the gun was ~really~ strange (in the Save data) if trying to move it again, and then the crew positions usually did NOT follow... Use of the Coletrains method, where you completely re-build the section might be better, though definitely more involved in FotRSU than Stock, due to the differences not only in crew size, but the crewing itself.

5. Silent Hunter 4 is one strange beast when it comes to modding... that actually goes without saying... but all of this is back to the way it happens in Stock now, and the Coletrains & Others method do work....
Ok, I give up. First, I don’t believe it is a FOTRSU issue, per se, after running about six tests. With the first career, I could never get the crew and/or gun to position properly where I wanted. But when I tried a new career under a new name and swapped the gun it was fine! Before trying that I did delete the Save and Rich Save folders and used a new captain. So I went back, deleted both save folders and tried again with the original captain. It let me move the gun to the stern and the crew slots with it. So I got what I wanted and am done messing with it.

Can’t tell you enough how much I appreciate the time, thought and effort you and the FOTRSU team put into the mod and working the bugs, real or imagined. I was a real programmer back in the day (a little 1401, Assembly-F, and COBOL, plus a smattering of DOS when I got my first pc) so I get how difficult debugging can be. Original programming (not coding) is MUCH easier than debugging, no matter the language. I wonder how many end-users get that.

Anyway, thanks again. I’m off on my first patrol in Thresher (SS-200, Tambor Class) out of Midway on Dec. 9, bound for Bungo Suido for 10 days, rear deck gun installed and crewed.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-20, 11:38 AM   #1655
propbeanie

Oh-ho-ho, the ~stories~ we could both tell of programming! Indeed, original programming is easy, especially compared to being a person 10 years after-the-fact trying to alter undocumented "black box" code and scripting... you have no idea where to begin... lol - If I would have only known Jeff-Groves back then, I could have called him and said "Jeff, I need some help!" and he would have said "Oh, that's easy! All you do is..." - But I find that trying to refresh myself in C (for Linux & DOS) is much easier than trying to re-acquaint myself with the 'modern' Visual Basic or C#... I just do NOT grasp some of the arcane (to me) methodologies employed... memory management is much easier I suppose, than the old days... lol - and about the only thing more difficult to comprehend is this spiderweb of intrigue inside the SH4 text files, trying to relate one file to another without any form of documentation (sound familiar??), which is where ETR3(SS) came in to the rescue and helped walk me through the files, else I'd still be thrashing about... lol - I think the programmers had ideas of what they wanted to have in the game, and some "names" and IDs are just there for an intended "future use" that never happened...

Old 08-19-20, 12:51 PM   #1656
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO

Quote:
I tried to break it, but could not:

but everytime out:

That is a December 8th, 1941 start, as in FotRSU by itself. My 'spicion is the "Started off earliest on, as is possible just for the record, via fred8615's pre-Pearl mod, 01/12/1941"... you cannot add untested mods to FotRSU and expect it to be FotRSU anymore... Something in the edits to Fred's excellent mod is 'killing' the deck gun, possibly a SubName.upc, or lack thereof. Also, note that most of the Campaign traffic is NOT active that early in the FotRSU-modded game, to prevent bad spawns encountered once the game does its "normal" start.
Looked into the mod itself... the only subs there in it are:

Tambor

Tench

That's it.... & both of those do have subname.upc's in the folders for them...

Before the update from v1.1 + the v1.1 patch to v1.2, it ran fine... with no issues... just general info...

M. M.

FLASH TRAFFIC... Edit.. edit... edit...

Disregard previous postings... per BuPerRec office investigation, issue regarding the deck gun, or lack thereof, has been corrected.

Unhitched mod list back to Pre Pearl career mod, made copy of the Submarine folder in it, pasted that to desk top, then proceeded to make new folders, renamed them accordingly to those in the same folder found in the FotRSU-EN v1.2, copied the .upc files from those & pulled the original Pre Pearl Submarine folder & replaced it with the FotRSU-edited Subname.upc files folder... end result is...

missing deck gun is now as it should be, crew slots, like wise... and all is well in the Cavite sub base.

Last edited by Mad Mardigan; 08-19-20 at 02:59 PM.
Mad Mardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-20, 02:28 PM   #1657
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

Quote:
Good. Thanks for that... We'll test and number, add some documentation, then include your private fone number for tech support.

A most interesting set of circumstances. Anyway, you also mention the Northern Pacific and Midway starts... I am curious if you ever were assigned a "Polar Circuit" mission (you too, torpedobait), and if so, what was the traffic like during your journey, to, during and from the patrol area(s)? Thanks.
Tech support eh, I'll get my secretary on the job as she likes typing out boring tech reports, be warned though, it'll probably take her a coupla years, she'll put it on the market for 80 bucks per copy, but you can have one for ninety.....

I only remember doing 1 mission up by the polar wotsit, it was somewhere in the Kuril Islands and it was something to do with Hokkaido supply or something similar to that, are the Kuril Islands in the polar wotsit?, I've no idea and I'm not going to look it up......Mr beannnnnnie.

If I remember right there was only a couple of destroyers I sunk, waste of a good mission me thinks as it could have been fleshed out a bit more and could have been made in to a Humdinger of a one.
As for getting up, down and around there, I've rarely encountered anything beyond Hokkaido, me thinks you're missing some golden opportunities up there Mr beanie.
Old 08-19-20, 05:26 PM   #1658
QuincyBad
Swabbie

Downloads: 157
Icon14 Thank you!

Hello again!

When you told me all I have to really do is disable TMO and it will work, Im fine with that, I had no idea that was my problem.. thanks!

Like I always say, YESS MATEEE!!!
QuincyBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-20, 06:43 PM   #1659
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Disregard previous postings... per BuPerRec office investigation, issue regarding the deck gun, or lack thereof, has been corrected.

Unhitched mod list back to Pre Pearl career mod, made copy of the Submarine folder in it, pasted that to desk top, then proceeded to make new folders, renamed them accordingly to those in the same folder found in the FotRSU-EN v1.2, copied the .upc files from those & pulled the original Pre Pearl Submarine folder & replaced it with the FotRSU-edited Subname.upc files folder... end result is...

missing deck gun is now as it should be, crew slots, like wise... and all is well in the Cavite sub base.
You still have to be careful with that... the hand and glove analogy fits... but hey, if it works, leave it until it breaks (if it does)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
Tech support eh, I'll get my secretary on the job as she likes typing out boring tech reports, be warned though, it'll probably take her a coupla years, she'll put it on the market for 80 bucks per copy, but you can have one for ninety..... If you're thinking to hire Doris, the one we had doing ours for a time, she pockets half of what comes in - just warnin' yah...

I only remember doing 1 mission up by the polar wotsit, it was somewhere in the Kuril Islands and it was something to do with Hokkaido supply or something similar to that, are the Kuril Islands in the polar wotsit?, I've no idea and I'm not going to look it up......Mr beannnnnnie.

If I remember right there was only a couple of destroyers I sunk, waste of a good mission me thinks as it could have been fleshed out a bit more and could have been made in to a Humdinger of a one.
As for getting up, down and around there, I've rarely encountered anything beyond Hokkaido, me thinks you're missing some golden opportunities up there Mr beanie.
The traffic is what contributed greatly to the lack of sinkings up that-a-way - that and the weather... nasty stuff... we were thinking of doing an "icicles" skin for the S-Boats up North out of Dutch Harbor, but haven't gotten around to trying that yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuincyBad View Post
Hello again!

When you told me all I have to really do is disable TMO and it will work, Im fine with that, I had no idea that was my problem.. thanks!

Like I always say, YESS MATEEE!!!
You do have to empty the Save folder also, either by deleting it, or by moving its contents. The game will make a new one when you next run the game, and that is the only way to bring the new data of a mod into the game... else you will end up with a half stock, half TMO and half FotRSU, and we all know what happens when you have 150% of something... the sack is not big enough!

Old 08-20-20, 01:32 AM   #1660
Strykr
Mate

Downloads: 1076

I would like to say, thanks again to the Team for your hard work and dedication
to this Mod.
It is appreciated !!!

Strykr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-20, 08:26 AM   #1661
QuincyBad
Swabbie

Downloads: 157
Icon14 Thank you!

Hello there!

Thank you for your help, I got FOTRSU working like a beauty. One of the things I was exited for was using the mission editor with the SH3 converted ships, And its great fun.. Though I don't know why I hear dolphin noises in the ambiance of the sub, But i'm sure its for the feel for it.

Thanks again!

Like I always say YESS MATEE!!!!
QuincyBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-20, 08:34 AM   #1662
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strykr View Post
I would like to say, thanks again to the Team for your hard work and dedication
to this Mod.
It is appreciated !!!

Glad you like it, and that is why we do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuincyBad View Post
Hello there!

Thank you for your help, I got FOTRSU working like a beauty. One of the things I was exited for was using the mission editor with the SH3 converted ships, And its great fun.. Though I don't know why I hear dolphin noises in the ambiance of the sub, But i'm sure its for the feel for it.

Thanks again!

Like I always say YESS MATEE!!!!
We're glad that you're going! Just be careful with the SH3 converted ships. There are some slight differences between their construction and an SH4 ship's, but definitely workable. As for the dolphin noises, those are supposed to be whales... - I can't remember off the top of my head which wav file that is in the Sounds folder, but it has like "interior ambiance" in its name. Someone else changed theirs out not too long ago, and maybe they can point you to their replacement file. The ambiance files are a sound effect file, and are not as restricted as some of the other sounds. Depending upon their designations, they might have to be under 10 seconds, other have to be under 15 seconds. That is where some of the sound mods that replace files ad hoc go wrong, and is what contributed to the original FOTRS "The Sound" issue that about drove us batty trying to track down a couple of years ago... Some might say we were already batty, and I can assure you, it was a pre-existing condition, and was a short drive...

Old 08-20-20, 09:56 AM   #1663
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Default Propbeanie - Your question re: Polar Route

I have yet to be assigned anything other than off the Japanese home islands, either in v1.1 or before. Have had only one patrol in v1.2, and that was to patrol Bungo Suido for 10 days.

Would like to see a Polar Route mission - might be interesting!

BTW, my "nickname" on one of my major projects was "OC7". Got pretty good at reading dump and data maps!

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-20, 07:25 AM   #1664
propbeanie

The "window" for assignments is rather small, some boats with maybe a total of 28 days or so between two sets of two weeks to be sent there, and those are generally off Kiska in the shipping lanes, or off Paramushiro, near the shipping lanes. Historically we've got about twice the level of traffic they had up there, and most skippers did not like trying to go up there, especially in light of the weather, magnetic field effects on the compass, ice floes, etc., with weeks between good navigational fixes. The Icebergs are in the game up there, but not too many of them, else a player would be ticked about being sunk while doing TC of anything above 32x and not using the external camera... the crew is rather odd about reporting their sightings, also... so they were dialed back quite a bit... We might "open" the possibility a bit more then, for a larger chance of being assigned up there. Thanks.

Last edited by propbeanie; 08-22-20 at 07:33 AM.
Old 08-22-20, 10:47 AM   #1665
wzartz
Watch

Downloads: 37

i clicked more than three times (

welp, I'm gonna back to this game again after such a long hiatus, and always thanks to Mr. propbeanie and Friends for making this wonderful mod, well there might be some bugs here and there but tbh i think this is the best mod for SH4 so far
wzartz is offline   Reply With Quote