SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-07-20, 07:36 PM   #1486
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
That is indeed strange... you have the needles and glass on some of the gauges, but not the actual gauge, then you have one notepad, but not the other, and no NavMap on the desk, so it's the "linked" things that are messed-up. Did you delete the Save folder?

If you would, de-activate the mod with JSGME. Empty the Save folder. Re-activate the mod with JSGME (don't forget that Patch), and check the LAA activation on SH4.exe again, then start a new career and see what your boat has in the Control Room... Be sure that you have the Windows display set to the Native ("Recommended") setting in the Windows Display Settings. Have SH4 set to the same thing in it Graphic Settings dialog.

I did delete the save folder, but I launched the game first then realized I should've deleted the folder, I exited the game and deleted the folder and then relaunched the folder.
I will do that and report back with the results.

EDIT: Nope, the issue is still there. Will I need to do a complete reinstall of the game? Or is it possible that my download of the mod is corrupt?

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!

Last edited by Texas Red; 07-07-20 at 07:54 PM.
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-20, 09:26 PM   #1487
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Corrupted downloads are rare these days, but you never know... We'll have to wait for s7rikeback to respond back about if I am looking at the correct numbers here:
14/05/2020 @ 19:40

100_FalloftheRisingSun_UltimateEdition_v1.1a_EN

Size = 1.41 GB

Current MD5 checksum value:

acb087157983e6de6b8413ac064810f5
I am not sure if that matches the upload on the SubSim server or not... But - what usually happens is that the base game gets corrupted. You might be best off making a new set-up of the game. If you have a known-good archive copy of the game, that is the way to go. Make a new "install" folder, copy the archive in and expand it, build the MODS folder, create a new MultiSH4 Save folder, activate the mod and Patch, put LAA on SH4.exe, and start a new career. Like I say though, be sure your video stream matches from end to end. You might have to mess with High DPI and Run as administrator, maybe even Windows 7 compatibility, all dependent upon the OS.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-20, 01:55 AM   #1488
gmetzo
Seaman

Downloads: 139
Uploads: 0

Ok I might be retarded so please don't get angry. How do I install this mod? I just finished installing Grey Wolfs for SH3 and I found it super simple as well as putting any other mod I wanted inside the MODS folder that GWX generated for me. What do I do with fall of the rising sun exactly? I tried creating MODS foler and unpacking everything in there but then when I click the jsgme it does not detect the mod to apply it
gmetzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-20, 07:19 AM   #1489
propbeanie

The first post of this thread has an abbreviated version of the install instructions just below the edge of your screen boundary, so you could scroll down a couple of paragraphs there, or use the Support folder in the mod's folder, and read some of the pdf files in there. GWX does a nice installer for a person, and we have not developed the FotRSU mod far enough to do the same here just yet. Maybe at some point in the future we will, but for now, no. What the installer does is unzip the mod, and then runs JSGME for you, activating the base mod. It cannot, however, uninstall things for you at a later time, so you have to be dedicated to GWX with that particular install of SH3. For Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate Edition (FotRSU), you can either run a current copy of JSGME that you have in the intended FotRSU folder to create a "MODS" folder, or make one yourself in Windows Explorer. The big thing is 'folder structure'.

You do NOT want to have your SH4 in a Program Files folder. If you do, Windows will interfere with everything you do, and rollback all cfg and select other files to their previous state, which will render at least the mod useless, and will sometimes ruin the game install itself. You want the game installed in a folder you create yourself outside of Windows User Accesss Control (UAC). A lot of folks, when they install the game will change the path of the install with the install dialog, such as the windows pop-up with a "Do you want to install the game in this path?" and it will have "C:\Program Files (x86) \Ubisoft \Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific" and folks will change that to "C:\Games \Ubisoft \Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific" or some-such. Maybe you have Steam, and it defaults to "C:\Program Files \Steam \SteamApps \common \Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific", and a person could eliminate that "Program Files\" portion of the path (unless Steam is already installed, and then you would need a 2nd hard drive to be able to make a 2nd Steam Library folder on that. Refer to "Moving a Steam Installation and Games" for more).

Once you have a "clean", "fresh" install of the game, you then either run JSGME, or create a MODS folder yourself, as mentioned above. Download the FotRSU mod, linked to on the first page of the thread above, and also download the "Patch" listed just below the full-mod link. The "Patch" will be eliminated with the next release. You can download the 7-zip files directly to the MODS folder if desired. You will need to download and use 7-zip to extract both the mod and the patch. Once those are extracted, then use JSGME to "activate" the mod and patch file.

Now, the thing of it with JSGME and the way it functions, all depends upon where JSGME is installed. There is a copy of JSGME v2.6 in the FotRSU mod, while if you are using the one that came in GWX, it is v2.2. Version 2.6 will "refresh" a mod list with any change, while with v2.2, you have to hit the F5 key to initiate a refresh. In either case, if JSGME is not in the SH4 folder with the MODS folder for FotRSU, you will have to navigate to the proper location. You are better off using JSGME v2.6 and have it in the game folder where FotRSU mod is in the MODS folder. That way, when you open that particular JSGME, it makes its own ini file in that and the MODS folder, and all it has to track then is the mods for that particular install.

After the mod is activated, you should have an LAA applet, and a MultiSH4 applet in the game folder. The use of LAA on the game with FotRSU is almost a requirement, since the mod will use as much RAM as it can get (Windows limits it to less that 2 gig otherwise - 1.6 gig max realistically - no matter how much RAM you have on your computer). Using MultiSH4 will allow you to change the default Save folder name for the game, which can make further modding easier, and helps keep this particular SH4 install dedicated to FotRSU. MultiSH4 oftentimes has to be used prior to LAA...

Any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. You are not retarded. There is a lot to wrap your head around just to get the game going properly on a 'modern' computer, and then you are trying to add a mod on top of that, which can make things really strange. Just look in the mod's Support folder, and you'll see a bunch of pdf files that might help a bit. Then again, if you're like me, when I see a bunch of text to read anymore, I begin to nod off... just don't do that with this post...

Old 07-08-20, 10:07 AM   #1490
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

Icon14

Hoi, Mr beanie.
Where did you get your version of FOTRS from, mine was downloaded from Subsim and my version + the patch is named differently to yours, could my version be the cause of this Gar SJ Radar problem I'm having.
100_FalloftheRisingSun_UltimateEdition_v1.1_EN
Size 1.41 GB (1,524,057,110 bytes)
101_prBetaPatch_v1.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Corrupted downloads are rare these days, but you never know... We'll have to wait for s7rikeback to respond back about if I am looking at the correct numbers here:
14/05/2020 @ 19:40

100_FalloftheRisingSun_UltimateEdition_v1.1a_EN

Size = 1.41 GB

Current MD5 checksum value:

acb087157983e6de6b8413ac064810f5
I am not sure if that matches the upload on the SubSim server or not...
Back in the Office and we have movement on the SJ Radar front.
Update: Submarine Improvement highlighted in Magenta.
10th February 1943 USS Grayling (SS 209) GAR.
Equipment Loadout,
Mk14 Torpedoes,
Twin 20mm AA Machine Gun
4" Bow Deck Gun,
SJ-I, Improved Surface Search Radar
Improved SD Radar, Air Search Radar
Half Cut Conning Tower
Well, shiver my timbers, fancy getting the Improved SJ Radar before the standard SJ Radar, that's an outstanding achievement Mr beanie.
We shall carry on with the Campaign until either the End of the War or until we are dead or every upgrade this Gar can have is on the boat. Me thinks it will be that borked Advanced Radar thingie, which won't be going on this boat I can tell you
Old 07-08-20, 10:26 AM   #1491
propbeanie

I have found a number of date issues with some of the boats, which are the sort of issues we thought had been "stamped-out" previously... There seems to be a mixing of dates causing issues. One file will say June of 1942, then find another saying August 1942, and a third set to September... This might be what prevented the SJ on the Gar / Tambor. I am doing some career tests right now, which are not easy to set-up, checking out the restoration of the guns back to how they were. We will most likely end up with putting "rings" around the sub ports on the NavMap, to remind a person to Save when coming back in to port, and to remove your gun crews, placing them back in with the Damage Team, so that they aren't lost when a gun upgrade comes along. I still lose the gun crew positions probably 1/2 the time, but at least can restore them in the usual manner with Coletrains, and others' solutions... Anyway, still noodling with the guns, then into the radars...

Old 07-08-20, 01:05 PM   #1492
Moonlight
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
Hoi, Mr beanie.
Where did you get your version of FOTRS from, mine was downloaded from Subsim and my version + the patch is named differently to yours, could my version be the cause of this Gar SJ Radar problem I'm having.
100_FalloftheRisingSun_UltimateEdition_v1.1_EN
Size 1.41 GB (1,524,057,110 bytes)
101_prBetaPatch_v1.1
You didn't answer my bloody question Mr beanie.
I have another question for you now old boy, is this NodeName=H01 thingie something to do with an Hydrophone, and is this NodeName=N01 thingie something to do with a Sonar.
If not, could you explain which NodeName= a Hydrophone and the same goes for a Sonar as well.

All done for now, we're going out on patrol again and we'll be giving this SJ Radar a good testing, if it doesn't work it'll be getting a good thrashing.
Old 07-08-20, 02:28 PM   #1493
propbeanie

That's what the "I am not sure if that matches the upload on the SubSim server or not..." was for. s7rikeback and myself post files, and build the results. The name with the "v1.1a" meant it was the "alpha" planned for release. I don't think we changed anything prior to release, but I'm not certain if the checksum would be the same. The version I have is from the SubSim site also, and the Patch, which since it is a Google page download, I cannot "name" the link, so I link to the post of it on

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...68#post2675868

which has it named as 101_prBetaPatch_v1.1.7z which would then extract to "101_prBetaPatch_v1.1", which goes on top of the v1.1 mod, and is a preBeta Patch... it has the PatrolObjectives fixes, which hopefully eliminates bad assignments...

... and yes, "H" is for Hydrophone, and "N" is for soNar... makes sense, eh? Since the didn't think when they use "S" for Secondary guns already... lol

Old 07-08-20, 05:14 PM   #1494
gmetzo
Seaman

Hey, thank you so much for taking the time to help me out with the instalation. It went smooth. However a new problem has arisen I am afraid. Once all is said and done and I click to launch the game i get some message popups for missing files. they are a lot, the first one that pops up is " File not found: data/menu/data/black80.tga ". Another popup has to do with pages. " There is a new (not implemented) page: <PageChooseLoadSave? ! " but it mostely has to do with files not found. Like an american skin or something about tdc metric. As I said they are a lot and once I close all of them the game shuts down. any ideas?
Old 07-08-20, 05:27 PM   #1495
Moonlight
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmetzo View Post
Hey, thank you so much for taking the time to help me out with the instalation. It went smooth. However a new problem has arisen I am afraid. Once all is said and done and I click to launch the game i get some message popups for missing files. they are a lot, the first one that pops up is " File not found: data/menu/data/black80.tga ". Another popup has to do with pages. " There is a new (not implemented) page: <PageChooseLoadSave? ! " but it mostely has to do with files not found. Like an american skin or something about tdc metric. As I said they are a lot and once I close all of them the game shuts down. any ideas?
You must have SH4 then, trying to load a 1.5 mod onto your SH4 installation will give you those errors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
Update: I'm still being offered the SJ-I, Improved Surface Search Radar even though I've got it, I think it needs looking into.
6th April 1943 USS Grayling (SS 209) GAR.
Equipment Loadout,
Mk14 Torpedoes,
Twin 20mm AA Machine Gun
4" Bow Deck Gun,
SJ-I, Improved Surface Search Radar
Improved SD Radar, Air Search Radar
Half Cut Conning Tower
Improved SJ Radar is working as it should be so no need to give it a damned good thrashing. Well well well, I'm starting to get to know what these abbreviation thingies mean, Its only took almost ten years.
Old 07-08-20, 06:00 PM   #1496
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1105
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielCoffey View Post
Bug Report : Incorrect cables on forward mast of NDD Fletcher

The cables on the Forward mast of NDD_Fletcher.dat don't reach down to the the deck. The two outer cables fall outside the deck boundary and the inner cables are too short to reach. It is not possible to lower the mast however as the cables on the back of the mast correctly make contact with spars on the sides of the funnel.

This one might be tricky to resolve.

Both outer cables have been deleted and reset into a better position.
See below.

As to the other "short" cables, they designed that way to connect to the different cabins at different stages of the war...

=============================

Quick coat of paint to sort out those texture issues seen above.

Last edited by s7rikeback; 07-08-20 at 06:09 PM.
s7rikeback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-20, 07:23 PM   #1497
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO Re: SH4 issues...

Quote:
Understand that you are having issues, even after following the advice provided by propbeanie.

Guess the most important place to start off with, would be to know some important factors, as follows:

1. What is the source you have for SH4. Is it Steam, Uplay, disk... carrier pigeon, perhaps.. sorry, My weird twisted sense of humor cropping up there, about the carrier pigeon.. Still, an important thing to know.

2. What version of SH4 do you have. Not sure about disks, on what there is available version wise, but.. BUT.. I do know that with Uplay, they offer up SH4 in Gold version, which is a complete U.S./German sub version meaning that you have access to either side, depending on how you want to play. The only downside that I have ran into is.. access to this SH4 through them, is to Me any way.. not able to be copied in it's vanilla unmodded state so as to allow for more mega modding. Others may know of the means to do so that are up to date, considering that Ubi keeps changing the rules without giving you notice of what they've done to date. Or at least that is My opinion of their actions to date.

As for Steam, their ideas on SH4 (which I have it through them, as well as Uplay, I know.. why do both, well.. it was to have more than 1 option open..) is to offer it in the original release which did NOT include skippering a Uboat, that would be tagged as version 1.4, with the updated offering by Uplay, also available through Steam, is by Steam tagged as version 1.5, which to utilize Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate (hereby known by the short name: FotRSU-EN v1.1) requires that you have this if you have it from Steam. Of particular interest, I did write up a walk through, which can be found here for any that would like to see it that use Steam as their source of SH4 install:

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...0&postcount=16

Note, that that walk through, is for those that get their SH4 through Steam & should be doable for handling both available versions offered up by them. I haven't tested that premise, since I only keep the later SH4 version through them to work with.

3. Where your SH4 is installed... It is considered important to NOT install it in C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86), as from what I understand is.. Windows 10, the UAC does NOT like to allow for changes to be made with programs installed there. That is My understanding of the reason... This is how I have it set up for the Steam access I have (It is important to note, that I have a 2 HDD set up & have Steam installed on D:\ drive, not C:\ , and have the library folder on C:\, located in a completely independent folder, well away from UAC, forever be they cursed to sail the 7 seas... ) :

C:\Games\Silent-Hunter\SH4-Steam\steamapps\common\FotRS-Pre Pearl Harbor Enhanced

I keep the original SH4 install, mod free in a separate folder there in common, so as to be able to copy the guts of it (after having initially ran it to allow for it to be set up & good to go from there) & drop it into a new folder, set up to what flavor I want to mega mod it to, i.e. FotRSU-EN v1.1 (Minus the v1.1 part, of course, since I know that that bit will eventually change when it updates, ergo just simply tagged FotRSU-EN)

From what you mentioned on seeing error messages saying that certain things could NOT be found, it sounds like you are using version 1.4, or a mod that is NOT set up to be used by version 1.5. In which case... it is NOT going to find things it needs to run, since FotRSU-EN, is set up to be used exclusively with version 1.5, which is the version/s as mentioned above in 2. above. Of note, is certain other mods, too, also rely on correct versions of SH4 to be there, for them to work as well, as I found out. I ran into some of those same error messages you have, due to later finding out the mod was only for use with version 1.4, so.. live & learn, as they say..

It is important to know that the mod you're using besides this 1, are compatible, as this will cause a load of other issues other than the 1's you've ran into thus far. Some are only usable by version 1.4 some only with 1.5 & again, others that can be used by either version. Then there is the whole does it play well with other mods... so be sure to ensure that any you consider adding into the mix, are correct for the version of SH4 & the mega mod you decide to play with. Can't stress that enough. I know through hard learned experience.

4. MultiSH4: It is important that no matter your source of SH4, it is vital that you use this (BEFORE, as I understand it of using Large Address Aware) so as to have a separate game save location, far away from the original install of SH4, unless you're using disk format.. (In which case you just may be able to allow for a separate install, fresh 1, of course.. dunno since I don't have a copy of 1 lying about.. sadly. ) or are just going to go with this mega alone. Of course, this doesn't preclude the inevitable process of changing your mind later on & deciding to utilize other mega's, such as Fifi's Operation Monsun Enhanced or Operation Monsun Enhanced: Dark Waters (for playing as a Uboat Kaleun ) Personally, I'd strongly recommend the later version, but.. that's just My personal preference...

5. Large Address Aware/4GB patch. There are those that swear by 4GB patch, but.. to be frank, I find using Large Address Aware (hereby known of as LAA) simpler to use, just run the app, point it out where your SH4.exe (as well as SH3 & SH5, I do believe... much less any other older game, to be frank as it works for them as well.) is located, ensure to check the box for allowing it to use more than 2GB of
memory or RAM then finalize all that by clicking on save.. easy peasy...

Don't want this to become a novella... and don't want to be considered hijacking the thread... so gonna end here...

Hope that what I have said here, helps... Good hunting, Skipper.

M. M.

Old 07-09-20, 12:12 AM   #1498
gmetzo
Seaman

Okie dokie here we go again, ... ok so I fixed the startup problem. It was most likely a version error. Thankfully someone that posted an SH4 review on steam let me know how to upgrade and so I did and the game opened up nicely. All is good until I start a career or single mission. After the " No mission impossible " message the game crashes..... Again the only mod I have is Fall of the Rising Sun nothing else that could perhaps create problems...

Last edited by gmetzo; 07-09-20 at 01:04 AM.
Old 07-09-20, 03:19 AM   #1499
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1105
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Okie dokie here we go again, ... ok so I fixed the startup problem. It was most likely a version error. Thankfully someone that posted an SH4 review on steam let me know how to upgrade and so I did and the game opened up nicely. All is good until I start a career or single mission. After the " No mission impossible " message the game crashes..... Again the only mod I have is Fall of the Rising Sun nothing else that could perhaps create problems...

Did you use the 4GB patch or LAA, as mentioned many times above and on the front page ?

Did you start with a new clean SH4 folder "new install" ?

Have you treid to download again, incase the first may have been currupted ?
Old 07-09-20, 03:01 PM   #1500
gmetzo
Seaman

4gig Patch solved all my problems, my apologies for not paying attention to it ( I was misled because TMO worked flawlessly without it ). Thanks and good hunting!