SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-15-19, 05:19 AM   #766
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0

I doubt it is sabotage as then GPS would also be offline as the more useful service.
Old 07-15-19, 05:45 AM   #767
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikalugin View Post
I doubt it is sabotage as then GPS would also be offline as the more useful service.
I agree, though i did not mean it too seriously

And i forgot 'incompetence', as a reason

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-19, 04:18 PM   #768
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

German Barracks Barbie von der Leyen will step down as fence ministress on Wednesday, no matter whether she gets elected in EU parliament tomorrow or not.

The popping noise that was heard from the German fence ministry were no test shootings with the new German automatic assault rifle for the troops, but champagne corks.

How much I hope she will bite into granite tomorrow, I just cannot stand this woman, she is a red rag for me. On the other hand, if she becomes commission head, she could do an awsomelot to turn the EU into even more of a joke, so maybe I should hope she gets elected for sure. She certainly has the blessings of Orban, Salvini, Kaczynski and many of the ultra-right in parliament - for right this reason.
Old 07-17-19, 05:04 AM   #769
Skybird
Soaring

Gunnar Heihnsohn on the German Geltungssucht when it comes to its military adventures in Africa.

https://www.achgut.com/artikel/deuts...im_afrikakrieg

The English translation by Google has issues, but for whatever its worth, here it is:
https://translate.google.de/translat...im_afrikakrieg

Empiricism can be so absolutely irresistable if done right. And Heihnsohn is a master of this profession. Often accused of not knowing the stuff - but claim was almost ever followed by evidence. While his returns to his critics usually are overwhelming. Because of this damn, politically incorrect thing idiots and ideologies cannot argue with: empiricism.

Gunnar Heinsohn, (* 1943) has been teaching war demography at the NATO Defense College (NDC) in Rome since 2010. In Stavanger in 2018 he gave the keynote speech on the 15th anniversary of NATO's Joint Warfare Center (JWC).
Old 07-17-19, 05:12 AM   #770
Skybird
Soaring

Thomas Rietzschel on why von der Leyen is the perfect pick for the top job in Brussel.

https://www.achgut.com/artikel/uvdl_...ichtigen_platz

Als die Ausgelobte nachher über das sprach, was sie außerdem vorhat, konnte sie es bei dem üblichen Wischiwaschi belassen, bei der Ankündigung die „Frauenquote“ zu erhöhen und die Rolle eines Parlaments zu stärken, über dessen Rechte man sich mit ihrer eigenen Nominierung eben erst achselzuckend hinweggesetzt hatte.

Auf die Spitze trieb sie das Schmierentheater schließlich mit dem haltlosen Versprechen, bis 2030 für eine Senkung des Ausstoßes von Treibhausgasen um 55 Prozent zu sorgen. Zu geben ist darauf so wenig wie auf alles, was sie als Verteidigungsministerin zur Stärkung der Bundeswehr in Aussicht stellte. Gerade damit aber hatte sie sich bei den übrigen Staatschefs der EU für das angestrebte Amt empfohlen.

Dass ihnen eine Frau, die die deutsche Wehrkraft zu erhöhen dachte, indem sie Spinde der Soldatinnen und Soldaten mit Schminkspiegel ausstatten wollte, nicht ernsthaft ins Handwerk pfuschen werde, haben Schlitzohren wie Emmanuel Macron oder auch Viktor Orban längst erkannt. Sie werden der Unbedarften keine Steine in den Weg legen. Frauen wie sie braucht eine Politik, die zur Klamotte verkommen ist, zu einem Theater der Laiendarsteller.

English Google translation, with some confusing flaws in it:

https://translate.google.de/translat...ichtigen_platz

Rietzschel's two books "Die Stunde der Dilettanten" and "Geplünderte Demokratie", are brilliant in argument, laser sharp in analysis, and a literary stylistic high pleasure. Still, angry. Very.

-----

Closely linked to the above is evil bad boy Thilo "the Boogieman" Sarrazin's merciless commenting on the quality of the political key personnel in Germany.

https://www.achgut.com/artikel/der_b..._schaudern_aus

Again, Google fumbles. Its confusing for me how miuch their translation qualties vary from day to day or week to week. Sometimes they are briliant, sometimes a mess, sometime so la la.

https://translate.google.de/translat..._schaudern_aus

Last edited by Skybird; 07-17-19 at 05:43 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-19, 05:47 AM   #771
Skybird
Soaring

Just in: Annnegret Kramp Karrenbauer (=AKK) is the new German fence ministress. Or so she thinks.

Worse, worse, worse, never worst: for that would mark an end point. But lesson to be learned is: things can always get worse!

In their defence I must admit: there is no political personnel left these days that could be trusted with giving them the boss seats. It reminds me a bit of my schooldays and the theatre groups there were. Excited lay actors everywhere.

Okay, so even more of German girly power. Moscow, shrudder! IS, beware!! The Germans are at it.
Old 07-18-19, 07:41 AM   #772
Skybird
Soaring

Our beloved leader and unfortunatly impeded SED state council chairman, the holy mother Angela of the Moral High Horse, celebrates her 65th birthday. I congratulate with these precious pieces of her unfathomable wisdom. Listen up world, learn and be healed!

https://www.publicomag.com/2019/07/e...ndsechzigsten/

https://translate.google.de/translat...sechzigsten%2F

The functional principle of corkscrews was invented by a Wendehals (flip-flopper/wryneck).
Old 08-05-19, 07:52 AM   #773
Skybird
Soaring

Scientists of the Physics Department of the University of Heidelberg have published an assessment of the German "Energiewende" - and cold-mindedly reveal how naive the politically wanted goals and ambitions are - and how misleading the officially published statistics are. It will not work that way, simply that. Its a hopeless overestimation of one's own capabilities, formulated by fools who have no clue of nothing, but have a wide heart, hooray.

The article is in German and can be found on the right side of the homepage, I post the separate link here.

https://www.physi.uni-heidelberg.de/...e_Web_2019.pdf

https://www.physi.uni-heidelberg.de
Old 08-05-19, 09:30 AM   #774
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Well, Germany is going to get rid of nuclear power soon.
Old 08-05-19, 01:50 PM   #775
Catfish

^ seems so, unless a new government changes its mind. I do not like the nuclear waste and the risk, but i wonder if something like the salt reactor or fusion becomes available anytime soon. The latter will also generate radiation of course, but it seems like a better methiod than just heating water to drive turbines, such a waste of energy.
The 'Otto Hahn' as a test bed was successful enough, but much too expensive for civilian trade.

Old 08-05-19, 02:25 PM   #776
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
^ seems so, unless a new government changes its mind. I do not like the nuclear waste and the risk, but i wonder if something like the salt reactor or fusion becomes available anytime soon. The latter will also generate radiation of course, but it seems like a better methiod than just heating water to drive turbines, such a waste of energy.
The 'Otto Hahn' as a test bed was successful enough, but much too expensive for civilian trade.
MSRs are not happening. Fusion is not happening before 2050.

Waste problem can be (largerly) solved by closed loop fuel cycle.

Reactor safety is vastly improved in 3rd generation designes which were, ironically, cancelled in favour of extending the lives of (less safe) 2nd generation reactors. 3rd+ and 4th generation reactors are too safe if that was ever a thing.
Old 08-05-19, 03:50 PM   #777
Skybird
Soaring

The document mentions it in the appendix, I think: the residual risk of new nuclear breeders are smaller than ever before, and the have reusable nuclear waste and so are indeed climate-neutral, and this risk then should be calculated against the risk of climate change and energy security. Its a typical, irresponsible and irrational Merkel manouver that after Fukushima she u-turned by 180° and Germany has given up its lead competence in nuclear powerplant design.

Once again, the Germans showed why I call them one of the most irrational and stupidiest people in the worlds.

Due to legal implications, the opting out costs billions. An opting in again woudl also cost billions in onvestemnt,k becasue the indistry would not do it by its own means anymore, they have earned theoir lesson and thus will demand the tax payer to pay for a revival of nuclear power. Thats why I am sceptacal that Germany is liekly to go back to nculear energy.

What the document does not list is that the Germans have destabilised the whole continental powergrid with their escapades. The number of incidents has raised by multiple factors in the past three years alone. And it gets worse.

High tech Germany gets rid of itself.

There are also gropwing proboplems with the windmills, the number of collapses of the opldest one snow exceeds the ressoruces for replacements and maintenance to delay the collapse. As a result, more and more windmills end up burning and collapsing.

Hysterical romanticissm. Not thinking smart and rational, no - but feel the world, feel the life, feel what is needed, feel what is best. One has to understand that. No other people suffered so dearly from Angst after Fukushikma, than the Germans.
Old 08-05-19, 06:52 PM   #778
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Some thoughts:
- Could the wind power kill more people per MW of installed power than nuclear power, including accounting for major accidents?
- Could the coal power produce more radioactive fallout per MW of installed power than nuclear power, including accounting for major accidents?
Sadly in my view Greens do not appear to be rational in their views on the nuclear power.
Old 08-06-19, 03:16 AM   #779
Skybird
Soaring

I dont know, I simply guess.

The first, windmills, could kill scores indeed if a major blackout happens due to the erosion of the powergrid and infrastrture, and if that blackout lasts longer than emergency PSUs in hospitals and vital tcncial infrastructures would hold. So far our oldest windmills sometimes catch fire without hurting somebody, afaik.

The second, coal causing radioactive fallout, I just do not know, not regarding mining, not regarding emissions. I never linked the two so far. Evidence?

I think reason would dictate the use of nuclear power. The Germans may make a relgion of saving energy, but internationally the demand will not grow, but explode, will go steeply upwards. The world does not stop to revolve around the sun just because some German Hobbits wish so. But we should shut down the old ones, replacing them with modenr ones. The big issue with nuclear powerplants is the enormous costs, usually to the tax payer, in dismantling old plants. Thse costs get carefulls hidden from the public, and get exlcuded from projective calculations when planning the construction. The lifetime of NPPs is finite.

The Green'S fight last but not least is a ideolgocially, cultural one, to replace the social order and society with something from their mind lab. In the end, its a mix of pure communism and romantic escapism from technology and industry and science (genetics) they dream off. That mass production is the indispensable precondition for the huge ammounts of populations in the world, they seem to not care for.

We are too many, however. Global population must drop by severlalbillions, else everything we could try will be in vein in the long run.Its like a rescue boat that has too many passengers and alread takes more water than can be baled out while still letting people climb aboard. Its not a thing of the heart, its a thing of mathematics. We are too many.

Last edited by Skybird; 08-06-19 at 03:26 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-19, 04:23 AM   #780
Catfish

We have to cut down enery abuse, but of course it will not do if Germany did it alone. Not that i really does.. see Pdf Sky linked to.

A real sustainable production of energy entirely relying on "green" (for lack of a better word) technologies is not possible now, but who knows what science and research are able to deliver. We cannot rely on that of course.

One thing is clear, we should not go on like before without sparing a thought about the consequences. China does it of course, as does Russia. And now also the USA.

I am not convinced that the 74-year old concept of nuclear fission is such a good idea. Using nuclear energy just to "cook water" and drive turbines indirectly with it, is technologically stone age.

While it is true that coal etc. also sets free radioactive gases, Chernobyl alone made "good" for centuries of operating coal-burning plants. No coal plant bears this kind of risk when things go wrong. And things do go wrong, everytime.

When someone tells me what to do with burnt or spent radioactive fuel (apart from using this as ammunition like this DU "depleted uranium", which is not what i consider as "recycling") or what to do with the irradiated scrapped building materials for the next some thousands of years to come, i'm game.
But not until then.

With the rising worldwide temperature, Russia can rely on burning methane instead.

Rising sea levels will cool German reactors just by flooding, easy! That has been tried out in Japan at short notice. Fukushima or something. The evaluation of this very spontaneous attempt is still running. The heavy load on concrete and steel at the nuclear power plant is seldomly discussed, keywords being microcracks/nuclear power plant/Belgium.
But you should not let that drive you crazy. We should rather focus on the real dangers of porous wind turbine rotor blades, infrasonic and poisonous wing material of the rotor

Last edited by Catfish; 08-06-19 at 06:10 AM.