SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-12-16, 04:59 AM   #1
Thoth_already_in_use
Watch

Downloads: 96
Uploads: 0
Default Questions about Realism and gameplay (GWX mod and total noob)

Greetings everyone)

I've discovered SH3, and I absolutely loved it. I started with LSH2015, but there are too much of targets, and thus less preparations and less enjoyment for hunting. Si I installed GWX mod -- now I have one sunk ship per patrol -- and even this is an achievement for me.

Strangely enough I enjoy more with playing with different tools and calculators than with game itself. But sometimes these tools looks for me like cheating.

1)So, how historically accurate is the calculator around the periscope in the OLC screen mod? And by the way, how estimate speed using it? As I understand, I meant to measure time of passing ship, knowing its length I got speed in m/s, and than convert it to knots (x1.95), using this I get kind of accurate estimations. However in multiple tutorials, people states that I must use different marks on AOBFinder disks following the zoom level. And I don't get how zoom influence measurements, additionally, existing marks gives non realistic results.

2)I developed a method to measure course of long-distance targets (at limit of visibility). Probably it exists, but I never seen this in tutorials and manuals. This method uses geometrical construction on map, and thus gives an perfect precision, if the optical measurements are perfect. With actual 1° readings on bearing I have around of ±10° of error (not that bad for target at ~11km). That was the historical resolution of bearing measurement with periscopes -- 1° is too large to my taste, there more than enough of space to fit more precise graduation.

3)That is the influence of crew and their expertise on each comportment? I get, that WO staff influence the distance of target detection. Mechanist influence the speed (and probably fuel consummation?). But that influence of the command room staff, and torpedo room staff (outside reload speed)? Do torpdists influence the precision, speed and misfire chance? Is there any need to keep them except for reloading?

4)Why in the periscopes all graduations are moved on the sides, and not near the center, where the angular measurements will be easier?

5)Is there a mod with ann alarm clock? Just for possibility to be aware than a certain time arrived? I tried to paly with fatigue -- but I always forget the time to change crew, and I arrive to attack with exhausted team.

6) With GWX mod, I have a small annoyance -- each time I rise/lower periscope when submerged, I get message "no officer at helms station". With WO on duty this message never appears. Is this bug, something intended or a mod conflict?

Sorry for long text, thse questions are accumulated over few weeks.
Thoth_already_in_use is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gwx 3.0