SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Special Projects > Subsim Events & Activities > Best of Subsim > Previous year Best of SUBSIM Nominations
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-22-22, 06:01 AM   #31
GrenSo
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 578
Uploads: 8

GrenSo has made a Best of SUBSIM nomination.
Category:
Quote:
Most Helpful
Post: Found a good solution for a problem with Win 11 and TWoS and described its implementation in detail.
Forum: SH5 Mods Workshop

Posted by: JerseySeven
Nominated Post: Link
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikos View Post
Just wanted to say that i have the exact same problem here. Also win11. Also blank identification book and suddenly missing charts. You are not the only one with this problem. I am also totaly frustrated because i tried so many different things for hours :confused:
It's got to be something that all of us Win11 users have in common. I'm most suspicious of Windows Defender. Since the v22H2 Win11 update, it even flags Intel drivers as problematic. I've turned off "Reputation-based protection" but need more information on "Exploit protection" settings.

Meanwhile, try this it may help:
1. Make a fresh install of SH5 and TWOS and, as insurance if you need to re-copy any files, backup the newly installed folder somewhere before running the game!

2, Run JSGME and add any mods you plan to use. Then set everything in the TWOS-parts folder (except TWOS-parts/jsgme.ini) to read-only.

3. Set everything in the data folder to read-only, except data/automation and data/cfg folders.

I've been running this way for a week, without losing any user charts or getting UZO corruption. Only problem is that the image in the recognition manual is frozen and doesn't change. I haven't yet discovered what file or files I can safely change without losing the charts again.

Please reply if it works for you!
GrenSo is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-22, 10:25 PM   #32
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Onkel Neal has made a Best of SUBSIM nomination.
Nomination Category:
Quote:
Most Helpful
Nomination basis: Helpful tip on moving a dll to get DW running, nice!
Forum: DW Mod Workshop

Nominated Member: Ghost Dog
Quote:
Look for a Windows 10 folder in your DW dir....there's a d3d8.dll or something like that. That goes in main dir....it will help. Still at a ton of other minor bugs though.....
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-22, 11:48 PM   #33
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Onkel Neal has made a Best of SUBSIM nomination.
Nomination Category:
Quote:
Most Helpful
Nomination basis: Nice and thoughtful response to encourage a new player.
Forum: Modern Naval Warfare

Nominated Member: FPSchazly
Quote:
Just play, have fun. Read stuff that sounds interesting, play stuff that looks interesting. Submarine books and movies can be very exciting to read and watch but I don't think they taught me much of anything of how to play these games (that's not their point). Anyway, Modern Naval Warfare is going to be so much more detailed than any other modern sub game out there that we're all going to have a bit of a learning curve when we start :03:
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-22, 01:09 AM   #34
russman
Nub

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

russman has made a Best of SUBSIM nomination.
Nomination Category:
Quote:
Most Helpful
Nomination basis: very helpful got the same problem
Forum: Silent Hunter III

Nominated Member: WolfyBrandon
Quote:
Welcome back to Subsim phoenixegmh!

Usually save games can break if you add/remove/change mods or files mid-patrol, that's why is best to only do that when your back in base before mission.

If you didn't do any of the above, then sadly i'm not sure. I know in the past I have encountered a bad save that refused to load... that's why I make up to 5 different saves per patrol. If one is bugged, I can load a previous one (lose a bit of progress) to see if it hopefully works, which has actually happened to me before. If its not your first patrol of your career you should have more than one save, you might lose the progress of your current patrol by going back to in base before/after mission, but it's better than losing your entire career. You can backup your entire save folder first, if you want to "test" loading an earlier save which will delete your current saves... that way you have an option to get them back.

Browse to your save folder (mine is located here)

C:\Users\(USERNAME)\Documents\SH3\data\

Make a copy of the "cfg" folder and keep it in a safe location.

It's not a bad idea to keep backups of your saves especially if you have a serious career you want to keep continuing, or even if you want to load it on another computer, just keep in mind for the saves to work you need to have all the required mods etc when you made those saves. This is why I actually take a screenshot of my JSGME mod list before each patrol, and keep it with my saves that I backup after each patrol.

Also if you are running on Windows 10, it can sometimes crash when loading saves... You can fix this by finding the "SH3.exe" then going to properties, and setting "Run As Administrator" & "Run In Capatibility Mode for "Windows 7".

Hope this helps.
russman is offline   Reply With Quote