SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-01-21, 12:35 PM   #16
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 490
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubootmate View Post
Ah...and how am I going to get enhanced patrol logs with ships names and use crew management like custom names ?
Is this possible without installing the SH3 commander?

I don't know about patrol logs without commander but the crew names/info. are in the crew_config*.cfg files found in path game\data\cfg.
They'll also be in the documents section folder once you start a career.
Old 12-01-21, 12:44 PM   #17
ubootmate
Watch

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pancoast View Post
I don't know about patrol logs without commander but the crew names/info. are in the crew_config*.cfg files found in path game\data\cfg.
They'll also be in the documents section folder once you start a career.

Seriously, why would I do all this when I can have it simplified by just installing the commander? Just because I'm not interested in playing a major mod, doesn't mean, I am againt the use of the Commander.
So where exactly do you suggest to install SH3 commander( folder/subfolder etc.) ??
ubootmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-21, 01:19 PM   #18
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Seriously, why would I do all this when I can have it simplified by just installing the commander? Just because I'm not interested in playing a major mod, doesn't mean, I am againt the use of the Commander.
So where exactly do you suggest to install SH3 commander( folder/subfolder etc.) ??

Exactly; just use Commander instead. Install Commander in your c:\silenthunter3 folder. It should then have the Commander folder listed along with the game folders of data, documentation, etc.
Old 12-01-21, 01:59 PM   #19
ubootmate
Watch

Quote:
Exactly; just use Commander instead. Install Commander in your c:\silenthunter3 folder. It should then have the Commander folder listed along with the game folders of data, documentation, etc.

Well, I have done that as well.
Like you stated: the SH3 Commander folder is now inside c:/silenthunter3 next to the mentioned game files!

solid work and thanx so far.

So now I would like to know how and where I can adjust the parameters for additional ranks like "Kommodore" and "Konteradmiral" as well as the values when you get these promotions (renown) - same for the medals...
Are you familiar with that too...??

reference:
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=174120

this thread here, I'm not sure if this is up to date since its from 2010. Maybe there a present day version somwhere in this forum?
Old 12-01-21, 02:15 PM   #20
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Well, I have done that as well.
Like you stated: the SH3 Commander folder is now inside c:/silenthunter3 next to the mentioned game files!

solid work and thanx so far.

So now I would like to know how and where I can adjust the parameters for additional ranks like "Kommodore" and "Konteradmiral" as well as the values when you get these promotions (renown) - same for the medals...
Are you familiar with that too...??

reference:

this thread here, I'm not sure if this is up to date since its from 2010. Maybe there a present day version somwhere in this forum?

I've never bothered doing that, but the file that controls it is the basic.cfg file found in path game\data\cfg.
Note that Commander also can change that file via the static settings.cfg file found in it's cfg folder. That can be disabled if not wanted.
Old 12-01-21, 02:43 PM   #21
CapZap1970
Sea Lord

Downloads: 259
Uploads: 51

There is a mod: Wreford Brown's SH3 Cmdr Extra Promotions.
Not too long ago I asked if it would run OK with the newer mods like Onealex, GWX or GWR, but regretfully nobody replied...
Old 12-01-21, 03:04 PM   #22
ubootmate
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapZap1970 View Post
There is a mod: Wreford Brown's SH3 Cmdr Extra Promotions.
Not too long ago I asked if it would run OK with the newer mods like Onealex, GWX or GWR, but regretfully nobody replied...

Greetings CapZap and welcome to our little conversation.
Interesting point since one single mod (if its works that is) could safe time and the risk taking tinkering of things people like me don't truly understand...

But since you haven't gotten any response, this question will remain unanswered, I guess.

Regarding the answer from Mr. Pancoast:
Well, then somebody else - who might have bothered or even tried and gotten any results - can answer my question about the renown values editing for medals and promotions . If sombody could even tell, whether the steps suggested by Tessa in the linked thread are safe and sound and represent the latest state of knowledge in this topic, that would be awesome...

U-Mate
Old 12-01-21, 03:26 PM   #23
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Well to answer Cap's question, most any mod can be made to work with most in install.
Just a matter of how much tinkering would be needed. Without knowing the mod mentioned, I can't imagine it would be difficult to adapt to an install as it's probably based on the basic.cfg file which is easily moddable.
Old 12-01-21, 03:33 PM   #24
ubootmate
Watch

Quote:
Well to answer Cap's question, most any mod can be made to work with most in install.
Just a matter of how much tinkering would be needed. Without knowing the mod mentioned, I can't imagine it would be difficult to adapt to an install as it's probably based on the basic.cfg file which is easily moddable.

I assume, Cap read this piece here:
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=197424

It's the same with the thread I was refering to.
You have no idea if it works or if there are later or better options anywhere out there....
Old 12-01-21, 03:53 PM   #25
ubootmate
Watch

Okay fellas, doesn't seem to be the case that anybody here (at least at the moment) can help out on tweaking ranks, promotions and medals when playing basic game with SH3 commander...

Links:
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=134306
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=197424

Questions remain the following:
1.) Are these threads valid and is the information than can be taken out of them regarding
- adding extra ranks to the vanilla game
- editing and adjusting the renown value settings to make it harder to receive the upper echelon medals like GC and KC with higher versions like swords and diamonds
up to date and latest state of the art (knowledge)?

2.) Are there any mods out there, who take care of these issues without having to tinker every single code line myself?
3.) Are there any "how-to", manuals or tutorials to better understand the basics of these issues in case there isnt a mod available?

Any aim-driven, solution-discovering help is well appreciated!

Greetings from

U-Mate

PS: I am - for now - going to fullfill my academy duty so I get my basic renown when starting a new career and check back frequently to see if there are some new developments...
Old 12-01-21, 04:31 PM   #26
FUBAR295
Krusty Krab

Downloads: 439

Here's the link to WB's SH3 Commander mod that corrects the ranks & etc. I found this to be more realistic.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/qbi3gs8331jgi76/WB%2527s_Extra_Promotions_%2528SH3_Cmdr%2529.7z/file

Good hunting,
FUBAR295

FUBAR295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-21, 05:23 PM   #27
CapZap1970
Sea Lord

Downloads: 259
Uploads: 51

ubootmate:

That's exactly what I was talking about!

FUBAR295:
Thanks a lot for the link.
That's the mod I posted some months ago and could get a reply if it worked as is with Onealex or GWR. Anyway, will see what can be done. I will test both the mod and the editing of files...
Old 12-01-21, 05:47 PM   #28
FUBAR295
Krusty Krab

Downloads: 439

Glad I could help.

It's what I use.

Good hunting,
FUBAR295

FUBAR295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-21, 07:05 PM   #29
ubootmate
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapZap1970 View Post
ubootmate:

That's exactly what I was talking about!

Cograts, Cap!

At least one of us has been served and is happy....
Maybe within the next days I get good news too and somebody can help me out as well...
Enjoy!

Greetings from

U-Mate