SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-05-21, 11:09 AM   #1
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

radar Re: Battery drainage...

Am wanting to find out, just what files it is, that sets/controls how fast they drain when submerged. Have a mod set up, that I believe the drainage rate for batteries... has been altered/affected & am looking to see of correcting the issue.

The mod set, in question is...

We dive at Dawn.

I did some tweaking to the T class sub, in getting it to look right, thanks to some work that JapLance did & the tweaking I did, also includes the dazzle mod (authors name for this mod, escaped Me right off... ) for the T class, as well.

After some time spent on this... have the T class looking as it should & includes having the appearance of the sub & the gun/crew slots being there, as well.

Any info on this... would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

M. M.
Old 11-05-21, 12:14 PM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Am wanting to find out, just what files it is, that sets/controls how fast they drain when submerged. Have a mod set up, that I believe the drainage rate for batteries... has been altered/affected & am looking to see of correcting the issue.

We dive at Dawn.

I did some tweaking to the T class sub, in getting it to look right, thanks to some work that JapLance did & the tweaking I did, also includes the dazzle mod (authors name for this mod, escaped Me right off... ) for the T class, as well.

After some time spent on this... have the T class looking as it should & includes having the appearance of the sub & the gun/crew slots being there, as well.

Thanks.

M. M.
i have also searched for that file but have never found it.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-21, 02:22 PM   #3
JapLance
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post

We dive at Dawn.

Thanks.

M. M.
Hi there M.M. ,

Since you told me about that in your last PM I took a look. In the .sim file there's a controller called unit_submarine which has fields for ranges. I understand that changing the range for submerged range will do it.

Currently the submerged range is entered as 96 miles (nautical miles I guess) at 2 knots. Wikipedia lists an underwater range of 48 hours at 2.5 knots for the T-class boats, which equals to 120 nautical miles at 2.5 knots.

Wiki also states that at the maximum underwater speed of 9 knots batteries would last just 1 hour. You could test those values and see if this max speed endurance is also close.

Hope this helps
Old 11-05-21, 02:53 PM   #4
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapLance View Post
Hi there M.M. ,

Since you told me about that in your last PM I took a look. In the .sim file there's a controller called unit_submarine which has fields for ranges. I understand that changing the range for submerged range will do it.

Currently the submerged range is entered as 96 miles (nautical miles I guess) at 2 knots. Wikipedia lists an underwater range of 48 hours at 2.5 knots for the T-class boats, which equals to 120 nautical miles at 2.5 knots.

Wiki also states that at the maximum underwater speed of 9 knots batteries would last just 1 hour. You could test those values and see if this max speed endurance is also close.

Hope this helps
I noted that same info about the 2.5 knots @ 48 hours run time... just was sitting here, trying to figure out the range limits those figures would translate down to... so yeah, that does help.

Now, the next thing to look at, is figuring out... just how to get into that particular file, to cross check the setting there.

Will see of running a test at 2.5 knots submerged & then for a full bore run at 9 knots... & see what the time value is, if it comes close or misses that info marks, on those speeds.

Thanks for the info.

M. M.
Old 11-05-21, 02:57 PM   #5
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

You will have to do quite a bit of "testing" (which can be fun), and not just of the battery drain, but also the re-charge rate as well as other aspects. All of the sim settings seem to "bleed" into other seemingly unrelated settings and affect those a bit also.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-21, 03:15 PM   #6
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
You will have to do quite a bit of "testing" (which can be fun), and not just of the battery drain, but also the re-charge rate as well as other aspects. All of the sim settings seem to "bleed" into other seemingly unrelated settings and affect those a bit also.
Good question there... which also led Me to consider & ponder... if after testing just as a base rate... drainage at 2.5 knots submerged...

if after that testing & the follow up, of doing a test run @ 9 knots submerged... & the end results are matching or as close to those of the source info... if perhaps the speed settings for the tele, may not got gotten skewed...

will also see of testing that & seeing what the top speed is after giving the 1/3 ahead order...

What led to all this was.. I gave the 1/3 ahead order & had the batteries drained out after only 8-9 hours run time, submerged. Which, being used to the... U.S. (& of course... the Uboat arm of subs as well... :yep) of batteries NOT draining out, nowhere near that fast.

Only thing I can contemplate as being the... likely culprit, is either the battery file controls or... on retrospect, the speed settings... 1 or the other.. unless there is more than just those 2 areas.

M. M.
Old 11-05-21, 04:03 PM   #7
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

radar Re: Battery drainage... tests... results...

Hmmm...

Curiouser... & curiouser...

Did 2 tests, (submerged, no less ) & found the oddest end results... which I shall out line.

Test 1:

Before engaging engines... I brought the sub to a complete halt. No forward motion.. submerged & proceeded to order 1/3 ahead...

In the attached snap, note the speed registered on the telegraph...

Boats, kicking close to 4 knots on the tele... what is curious.. is.. & noted, when I gave the order further on.. to engage going 9 knots... is that I had to click on the tele... .5 knots faster, to get the Helmsman(?)/Chief(?) of the boat, to confirm the order given... of 9 knots forward motion. This also held true on the .5 knot extra, on the tele... when I gave & got confirm from the Helmsman(?)/Chief(?) of the boat, to confirm the order given, to go 2.5 knots ahead... strange.

Can't recall when tooling about in either the Uboats or the U.S. boats, of having to do so... at least, NOT that I can recall of here.

Strange fact # 2....

On running a full bore speed run... submerged, no less... boat took to 9 knots, reported on confirm (same conditions as outlined above, of a .5 additional click on the tele... ) of the boat taking to the commands... until the battery got drained down to 50%... after that point, the speed kept dropping, despite My repeated clicking on the tele.. ordering for 9 knots. At this time, had run submerged at full bore.. for about an hour... hour & a half... end result was batteries drained down to 30-35% remaining charge left.

At this point... am unsure of or unclear... as to what would need to be done, to get that set of oddities, ironed out.

Old 11-05-21, 04:57 PM   #8
propbeanie

The SubName.cfg in the Submarine folder has the settings for the Ahead 1/3, etc., by the use of the decimal fractions (my brain seems to tell me that one of those is backwards - Slow??)... those are for surfaced & submerged.

Usually speaking, if you get odd behavior from the crew though, it can be anything from improper attire for your crew (seriously - misspell anything for the crew, and they go blind and cannot comply - strange), to something similar being misconfigured with the equipment, so you do have to double-check everything. In CMN some time ago, I changed something, and then the sub would not move until I submerged, and then it was fine... s7rikeback found that one, but I do not recall what exactly it was... A mind is a terrible thing to allow to grow old...

Old 11-05-21, 07:34 PM   #9
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

All I can add here is the obvious, it is a real pain in the...stern. lol

In TMO I am quite happy with engines, fuel, performance, ducimus did an excellent job, so have not tweaked it much but did play around with settings out of curiosity and to learn some thing. I feel for anyone trying to really tackle these issues. lol
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-21, 10:46 PM   #10
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
All I can add here is the obvious, it is a real pain in the...stern. lol

In TMO I am quite happy with engines, fuel, performance, ducimus did an excellent job, so have not tweaked it much but did play around with settings out of curiosity and to learn some thing. I feel for anyone trying to really tackle these issues. lol
as PB said, a mind is a terrible thing to grow old.
when i read this thread at first, i read battery but processed oxygen.
don't ask me why.

so, back to the topic of battery usage, yes, the .SIM file for the boat controls the battery charge but NOT the re-charge.
recharging is a function of engine use on the surface and is hard-coded.
battery life is function of range and speed. SH4 will take the values input into the .SIM and calculate the battery charge for your boat. the greater the range and speed, the more battery life you will have. also, if you enable Special Abilities, there are some specials that will extend the battery life even more.

have i experimented with this feature? yes, i have. have i come up with a magical set of values. no, i have not.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-21, 11:23 PM   #11
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapLance View Post
Hi there M.M. ,

Hope this helps
Thanks for that info, about the range section JapLance... have no way of taking a look... under the hood there, on that aspect, nor the knowledge of what I'd be doing that'd make Me.. confident to go poking abut in that section. I know My limitations... & that's.. an area I don't feel confident to go poking about...
Old 11-05-21, 11:37 PM   #12
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
as PB said, a mind is a terrible thing to grow old.
when i read this thread at first, i read battery but processed oxygen.
don't ask me why.

so, back to the topic of battery usage, yes, the .SIM file for the boat controls the battery charge but NOT the re-charge.
recharging is a function of engine use on the surface and is hard-coded.
battery life is function of range and speed. SH4 will take the values input into the .SIM and calculate the battery charge for your boat. the greater the range and speed, the more battery life you will have. also, if you enable Special Abilities, there are some specials that will extend the battery life even more.

have i experimented with this feature? yes, i have. have i come up with a magical set of values. no, i have not.
Recharging, was not the issue... but rather instead, the drainage of the batterie's when order was given to go at x speed setting on the telegraph KM.

On that note, what Propbeanie said in their last post, gave Me the clue to know where to look & to note something.

Seems the T class, shares bones with... the Salmon, or was that Sargo... & based on that, was able to get the speed settings for 1/3 ahead... 2/3 ahead & full standard, to more in line with where it should be...

Have it where when the order for 1/3 ahead, while submerged, the sub starts off at 2 knots.. which... was able to go well over past 8-9 hours running into by dark (used the nav test in the mod set to base the tests from... as a baseline ) & started at 08:02 hrs, & made it to 19-20:00 hrs, with a bit more than 50% battery in reserve by that point... which... would be close enough to hit or be near to a 48 hr run @ 2.5 knots submerged...

Before now, running submerged, @ 1/3 was netting only 8-9 hrs running... batteries being drained down to 0%.

With using the subname.cfg speed set from the sister sub(in this case... Salmon/Sargo), was able to get that run submerged, @ 2 knots to where it would be possible to go for a full 48 hrs run submerged before the batteries would be exhausted to 0%...

as they say, close enough for Govt. work.
Old 11-05-21, 11:42 PM   #13
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

radar

Quote:
The SubName.cfg in the Submarine folder has the settings for the Ahead 1/3, etc., by the use of the decimal fractions (my brain seems to tell me that one of those is backwards - Slow??)... those are for surfaced & submerged.

Usually speaking, if you get odd behavior from the crew though, it can be anything from improper attire for your crew (seriously - misspell anything for the crew, and they go blind and cannot comply - strange), to something similar being misconfigured with the equipment, so you do have to double-check everything. In CMN some time ago, I changed something, and then the sub would not move until I submerged, and then it was fine... s7rikeback found that one, but I do not recall what exactly it was... A mind is a terrible thing to allow to grow old...
propbeanie, ol' chap... Thanks for that tid bit of info...

Was enough there, for Me to crack the issue & resolve it, close enough that it's better than what it started off as.

To every one else, I appreciate your taking the time to chime in... warmest regards for that.. it is very much appreciated.

M. M.
Old 11-06-21, 04:07 PM   #14
propbeanie

Excellent! Glad you have found the ballpark and are able to knock it out of there!!! or at least got a triple with a couple RBI...

Old 11-06-21, 04:25 PM   #15
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO

Quote:
Excellent! Glad you have found the ballpark and are able to knock it out of there!!! or at least got a triple with a couple RBI...

M. M.