SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-03-21, 10:47 PM   #1
gacohen
Swabbie

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Icon9 Please help 😟😟

Hey guys! I'm new to the game, Im playing SH3. This is my first real playthrough after a loooot of tutorials, and I thought I was really understanding what I was doing. Anyway, Im chasing a ship with my Hydrophone with horrible weather, im really close to it, but im waiting the night because I can't see anything. The thing is, the moment I load the game I can hear my hydrophone perfectly, but, after a while my SO stops reporting any sounds (even tho the ship was at short range one second ago) and when I go to the hydrophone myself, instead of the ship, I hear whales (the notebook next to the hydrophone still says "merchant"). If I save and load again it all goes back to normal.

So I was wondering if this is a known bug and how to fix it, its really killing the game for me, I stopped playing because I can't spend an ingame hour before the hydrophone stops working.

Im only using GWX mod and ARB wide GUI.

Thanks in advance!

gacohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-21, 11:04 PM   #2
ivanov.ruslan
The Old Man

Downloads: 901

Hi, what you hear from the hydrophone are not whales, these are the sounds of a sinking ship
ivanov.ruslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-21, 12:40 AM   #3
gacohen
Swabbie

Oh thanks for the clarification, but why is the sound changing??? First it was the sinking ship and then the merchant again, this is happening a lot btw, not only with this ship. I've been chasing this ship for hours, and the sound changes, first I hear the merchant and then the sinking ship, I reload, and then again good ol' merchant
Old 11-04-21, 01:10 AM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard

gacohen!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-21, 01:14 AM   #5
ivanov.ruslan
The Old Man

Wich version of GWX
Old 11-04-21, 01:27 AM   #6
ivanov.ruslan
The Old Man

The ship was probably hit and sunk
Old 11-04-21, 01:37 AM   #7
ivanov.ruslan
The Old Man

It is very likely that the problem is due to archiving
Old 11-04-21, 02:42 AM   #8
pikke
Sparky

Downloads: 18

I'm using GWX gold and this happens when sea conditions are so bad it makes for difficult sailing (wind 15 meters per second more or less)

I take it the game consider the ship "sinking" due to that...it may be slow or dead on the water but it won't sink that often (I've seen it happens once in a while)
Just grab the chance, sink it yourself and thank the Mighty Sea!
pikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-21, 02:52 AM   #9
gacohen
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanov.ruslan View Post
It is very likely that the problem is due to archiving
I'm using version 3.0, what does archiving mean???
Old 11-04-21, 03:01 AM   #10
gacohen
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikke View Post
I'm using GWX gold and this happens when sea conditions are so bad it makes for difficult sailing (wind 15 meters per second more or less)

I take it the game consider the ship "sinking" due to that...it may be slow or dead on the water but it won't sink that often (I've seen it happens once in a while)
Just grab the chance, sink it yourself and thank the Mighty Sea!
Oh! This would actually make sense, the weather is awuful in my game, everytime I surface the boat i still got 10 on depth. Plus if I press f4 I can see that Im practically under water.

Only one thing Im not sure about, in this patrol I encounter a few warships, and I could hear them clearly through my Hydrophone, but then this same thing happened, I could hear the same sinking ship sound on the three bearings I located the ships. I had to reload the game again. What I mean is that those ships where giant, and were clearly far from sinking, could the game consider them to be sinking anyway?? They were going really fast.

Thanks for your help guys
Old 11-04-21, 03:04 AM   #11
ivanov.ruslan
The Old Man

Saved games is desirable to be on the surface, the camera to watch the central post, the boat to be not less than 5o miles from land, target, convoy, etc
Old 11-05-21, 03:18 AM   #12
pikke
Sparky

Downloads: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gacohen View Post
Oh! This would actually make sense, the weather is awuful in my game, everytime I surface the boat i still got 10 on depth. Plus if I press f4 I can see that Im practically under water.

Only one thing Im not sure about, in this patrol I encounter a few warships, and I could hear them clearly through my Hydrophone, but then this same thing happened, I could hear the same sinking ship sound on the three bearings I located the ships. I had to reload the game again. What I mean is that those ships where giant, and were clearly far from sinking, could the game consider them to be sinking anyway?? They were going really fast.

Thanks for your help guys

Yes, I experience the same.
When sea conditions are rough seems like the game "thinks" the ships are sinking when they are not.
I don't know the exact mechanic that leads to this behaviour...perhaps when parts of the hull goes under the waterline it triggers this.
Also since adverse sea conditions may sink ships there has to be a built in mechanic about that.

Just guessing here, but I noticed this to happen when ships are bobbing and rolling in the waves so...

Archiving means SH3 has sometimes issues when saving, most likely to happen when you do it in conditions like the ones described by ivanov.ruslan
pikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-21, 08:26 PM   #13
gacohen
Swabbie

Thank you guys for the help, I will probably just wait until the rain stops and follow the "sinking" ship. Pretty annoying bug tho

Thanks!!!
Old 11-06-21, 09:54 PM   #14
Krolm
Watch

Downloads: 17

What is the weather like ? press ctrl+w to find out usually in rough seas the ship will bounce up and down due to the high waves and you hear these sinking noises, Dont let it fool you stalk him and send him to the bottom
Krolm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bug, hydrophone, noob