SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-24-21, 12:26 AM   #1
Flaskegaard
Medic

Downloads: 847
Uploads: 0
Default Red distress flares

Greetings,
I have been playing FOTRSU for about a month now. When I watched videos of other people playing it, I noticed that when they torpedoed a merchant ship, it fired off a red distress flare. I have not seen any distress flares go up from ships I have torpedoed as of yet. I looked in the various ship's EQP files, but didn't see anything about a distress flare. Is that a standard feature with FOTRSU, or do I need to install a mod to see the flares?
Flaskegaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-21, 09:18 PM   #2
Zero Niner
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 69

It's standard with FORTSU.
Zero Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-21, 09:36 PM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

As Zero Niner says, they are part of FotRSU, thanks to a comment from fitzcarraldo reminding us about them. Not to give away all of our "trade secrets", but the flares are not a direct part of all of the ships, which is dependent upon the author of the ship and the way they did their damage zon file. Also, the flairs don't really reside with the ship, but rather are triggered as part of the zones.cfg file. What we like to think can happen, is a "ship" might fire it off entirely too early (depending upon the compartment hit and the damage inflicted), like they have an OOW that is a nervous nelly, and shoots the flare too soon, and then you have to put another torpedo into the ship anyway, and then other times, you have the old salt that won't give up the ship, so never does fire the flare... You usually won't see them in a warship either...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-21, 09:54 PM   #4
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

radar

As I recall.. only the merchie's had them... part of the convoy agreement between other countries & the Brits. Was a... signifier of them being attacked, as if the sight of a fireball from some, wasn't enough of a road flare sign of an attack...

Warships, wouldn't use that... their whole... purpose, was to sail into harm's way... merchie's, weren't. Theirs, was to deliver the goods...

Which, made them, prime targets for the U boats... but.. the U.S., went with unrestricted targeting, after Pearl got hit... & turned on Japan, what was Britain's (& Churchill's, worst nightmare of happening to them) into Japan's worst nightmare... being brought to their knees by being strangled out of resources.

That... & the A bomb.

M. M.
Old 10-24-21, 11:46 PM   #5
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Would love to have them in TMO, especially if could have them fire when submarine is detected? Signal to the group?
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-21, 03:52 PM   #6
Fish40
The Old Man

Downloads: 146

Tried installing the "Merchant Distress Flares" mod from the SH3 Mods forum. The readme is in German, but I kind of understood. Placed the files in the Library, and the lines in the Zones, but haven't seen any flares. Must have done something wrong. Was assuming that since SH3 and 4 use the same engine, and the folders where the files go are the same, that it would work. I would love to see these flares in my RFB install.
Fish40 is offline   Reply With Quote