SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-27-21, 06:00 PM   #241
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
By default the AA guns are set to act as AA guns, if enabled the optional mod "AA to Deckguns+Radio" they will fire at surface targets, but not aircraft. To change back, the optional just needs to be disabled via JSGME to restore AA guns.

Unfortunately, the AA guns are not multi purpose with AI gunners as were in real life, since the devs did not bother to give us that capability. Very much a either or situation.

I have sought a way to make them multi purposes but have not not yet figured that out.
ok, i get it. we'll make it work.
thanks!

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-21, 06:46 PM   #242
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Default couple of questions

Hey BH,

i finally completed my Dark Waters career which allowed me to clear the decks and load up your new TMO redux. it has generated a couple of questions.

driving a Porpoise out of Pearl, December 1941.

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Ubisoft\TMO_BH\MODS]

100 TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5_UpdateBH Revised Final
110 Nav Map MakeOverTMOUpdate
120 NavMapMakeOverTMOUpdatePatch
130 AlliedShipsTMO
140 ShipsforTMO
150 EAX_Sound_Sim_SH4
160 TMO2_different_smoke_and_splash_effects
170 IJN_Radar_Fix_2
200 DecoysTMO
210 RestoreSDRadarFromStart
220 AAtoDeckguns+Radio
800 TMO_BH_Fixes_MTB

The surface radar will not operate. it's installed but no display and no detection of the enemy.

also, no decoys are available, even though i loaded the mod.

next, the 20 mm AA gun, which operated just fine in sub school, will not operate, will not even load its ammo.

lastly, (for now), will the 1.5_Optical Targeting Correction 031312 for TMO 2.5 mod work with your TMO-Redux?

Enjoying the play. thanks.

LAA enabled
Old 11-29-21, 01:06 AM   #243
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
Hey BH,

i finally completed my Dark Waters career which allowed me to clear the decks and load up your new TMO redux. it has generated a couple of questions.

driving a Porpoise out of Pearl, December 1941.

130 AlliedShipsTMO
140 ShipsforTMO
150 EAX_Sound_Sim_SH4
170 IJN_Radar_Fix_2
200 DecoysTMO
220 AAtoDeckguns+Radio
800 TMO_BH_Fixes_MTB

The surface radar will not operate. it's installed but no display and no detection of the enemy.

also, no decoys are available, even though i loaded the mod.

next, the 20 mm AA gun, which operated just fine in sub school, will not operate, will not even load its ammo.

lastly, (for now), will the 1.5_Optical Targeting Correction 031312 for TMO 2.5 mod work with your TMO-Redux?

Enjoying the play. thanks.
Yes, you are in early war when certain technologies were not yet in service.

SJ Radar (surface search) per history is not available until June 1942, so it is not active. I wish we could make the radar cabinets disappear until we have it, but we can't. Something the devs should have fixed, but of course did not.

SD(air search) is not available until late Dec 41 and it costs a lot of renown until around Mar 1943. This was changed because at time US entered the war, SD was a new technology and most boats (especially Asiatic boats and S boats) did not have SD at start of the war. This forces player to operate in a different manner, in a historical manner as early boats did since running on surface is risky. I included the SD from start mod, primarily so if player was operating one of the boats that did have it, they could have it. Some may not like playing without air search radar, so have it as well. I do advise giving a try without it, really is immersive and lets player see a real difference as time goes on when they have various technologies and can change tactics, as US submarines did in reality.

Decoys are not available until August 1944. They should have never been available from start of war, as were in stock and honestly JulyAugust 1944 is a little early as I do not believe anyone actually went on patrol with the SBT-1 until November of 44, but I did not change it in the first release. The mod increases the number, but you have to wait until they are available.

The AA guns will not work manually unless submarine is at General Quarters or have ordered the actual deck manned. This is because the AA guns, in order to shoot at surface targets are classified as deck guns now by the sim and are linked(I have no idea how to remedy this), and at this time there is no way to make them multi purpose. I am guessing in the training you were at GQ or had the guns ordered manned, so they become active and ability to fire manually.

So assuming you want them to shoot at surface targets, keep the AA to Deck Gun+Radio mod enabled. When you see a surface target, call GQ or order deck gun manned and you if desire can man and fire the gun manually then.

I thought I explained this in the README, if I did not or was not detailed enough, I apologize and will make sure next README covers this.

What is the mod TMO BH MTB fixes? I do not recall that mod...

OTC is not compatible with the TMO update as from what I understand, others who try have had CTD. The creator of OTC or somehow are welcome to try make it compatible with my TMO mod.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-21, 10:46 AM   #244
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Yes, you are in early war when certain technologies were not yet in service.

SJ Radar (surface search) per history is not available until June 1942, so it is not active. I wish we could make the radar cabinets disappear until we have it, but we can't. Something the devs should have fixed, but of course did not.

SD(air search) is not available until late Dec 41 and it costs a lot of renown until around Mar 1943. This was changed because at time US entered the war, SD was a new technology and most boats (especially Asiatic boats and S boats) did not have SD at start of the war.
this is documented and i misunderstood, mostly because i saw the displays. that's on me.

Quote:
Decoys are not available until August 1944. They should have never been available from start of war, as were in stock and honestly JulyAugust 1944 is a little early as I do not believe anyone actually went on patrol with the SBT-1 until November of 44, but I did not change it in the first release. The mod increases the number, but you have to wait until they are available.
i did not read the docs on this mod. i saw it and enabled it thinking that decoys would be available early.

Quote:
The AA guns will not work manually unless submarine is at General Quarters or have ordered the actual deck manned. This is because the AA guns, in order to shoot at surface targets are classified as deck guns now by the sim and are linked(I have no idea how to remedy this), and at this time there is no way to make them multi purpose. I am guessing in the training you were at GQ or had the guns ordered manned, so they become active and ability to fire manually.

So assuming you want them to shoot at surface targets, keep the AA to Deck Gun+Radio mod enabled. When you see a surface target, call GQ or order deck gun manned and you if desire can man and fire the gun manually then.

I thought I explained this in the README, if I did not or was not detailed enough, I apologize and will make sure next README covers this.
this one will take a bit of time to get used to. the situation i experienced within the career included being at GQ with the position manned and ready. when i attempted to man the AA gun manually, it would not operate at all, which was NOT the same behaviour when we were in sub school. that made it confusing.

Quote:
What is the mod TMO BH MTB fixes? I do not recall that mod...
that mod has fixes for all of the date, cfg, sns errors. it is easier to keep all of those in a separate mod. i sent you the error log via PM. Hopefully, they will be fixed in a future release and i can drop this mod from the list.

OTC is not compatible with the TMO update as from what I understand, others who try have had CTD. The creator of OTC or somehow are welcome to try make it compatible with my TMO mod.[/QUOTE]

ok. thanks for clarifying.

LAA enabled
Old 11-29-21, 02:04 PM   #245
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

The game only allows one player-controlled "Deck Gun", so if the AA guns are set to "Deck Gun", you might not be allowed to control them, since you already have control over the main gun. The "camera" might be the only reason you're allowed in the position. That would be a test to try, is a non-threatening enemy ship, such as an un-armed tug anchored nearby to the player sub, and then an airplane come by a minute later, and see what you can and cannot do. Of course, standing orders out of CenPac state that you should NOT be caught unawares by any airplane under any circumstances...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-21, 10:21 PM   #246
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
The game only allows one player-controlled "Deck Gun", so if the AA guns are set to "Deck Gun", you might not be allowed to control them, since you already have control over the main gun. The "camera" might be the only reason you're allowed in the position. That would be a test to try, is a non-threatening enemy ship, such as an un-armed tug anchored nearby to the player sub, and then an airplane come by a minute later, and see what you can and cannot do. Of course, standing orders out of CenPac state that you should NOT be caught unawares by any airplane under any circumstances...

Player can still man and control the AA guns when they are set as deck guns, i.e. for AI to fire at surface targets, I have used them with the mod enabled. However, can no longer use them at will. Basically, the guns have to be "active", i.e. the DECK GUN ordered manned by crew and fire command given, as long as the guns are manned or at GQ, player can fire the guns. However, once station is not manned, player can go to gun view but can not fire, if hit fire it will give a message saying position is not active.

I'd love to make them truly multip purposes as were, so target aircraft and surface targets, but I do not see a way to make that happen. Silly though, since the enemy AI ships AA guns fire at ships and planes.
Old 11-30-21, 11:38 AM   #247
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

The conn then is taken as a 2nd platform, I guess... If you have two AA guns on the conn, are you able to switch between the two then, or are you restricted to just the one?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-21, 02:55 PM   #248
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
The conn then is taken as a 2nd platform, I guess... If you have two AA guns on the conn, are you able to switch between the two then, or are you restricted to just the one?

Yes, can switch to the station view for all guns, even when they are not "active" (no AI crew manning, not at GQ, or guns not ordered manned on the orders bar) but if not "active" then cant load or fire. Once "active", can fire them, switch back and forth. Basically, the AA guns become linked to the main deck gun. The AA gun orders on the order bar at bottom of screen become useless.

Kind of a pain and wish had individual control with them being multi purpose, but do not and not sure how to make it so. However, the gunfire they can lay down really is great. The combined fire really cuts through the fishing boats lol and can save deck gun ammo and can save deck gun ammo for larger targets. Plus if find sub in bad situation on surface in night surface attack or have to surface due to damage, gives player some fighting chance to have AI firing at them instead of just sitting their waiting for player to fire.
Old 11-30-21, 03:29 PM   #249
gandyrail
Watch

Downloads: 117
Uploads: 0
Default time keeps chugging

my time compression keeps chugging along when I get a contact. At first I thought OK maybe they are friendly, but determined it keeps chugging for any contact, and if your compressed at 512 you can leave the area before you can react. Did my down load miss something?
Old 11-30-21, 05:28 PM   #250
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandyrail View Post
my time compression keeps chugging along when I get a contact. At first I thought OK maybe they are friendly, but determined it keeps chugging for any contact, and if your compressed at 512 you can leave the area before you can react. Did my down load miss something?

Well, that is just one of those SH 4 things I believe. I typically transit at 1056x time to and from patrol area, and 512 or less when close to and in patrol area. Typically at 512 will not miss the contacts. TMO uses stock time compression. Things can happen too fast for player sub sensors to catch one another and high TC will foul up weather and eventually the time of day, sunsets, dawn etc.

Typically will slow down for enemy contacts, friendlies and neutrals not so much.

From C:/UBI/CFG/Main

[TIME COMPRESSION]
TimeStop=0
RealTime=1
LandProximity=4
CriticalDamage=1
CrewEfficiency=128;1
AirEnemyDetected=1
SoundEffects=2
CharacterAnim=4
EnemyDetected=8
RadioReport=8
Particles=8
PrayState=8
HunterState=32
3DRender=32
Maximum=8192
Old 11-30-21, 06:45 PM   #251
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

radar

Quote:
Well, that is just one of those SH 4 things I believe. I typically transit at 1056x time to and from patrol area, and 512 or less when close to and in patrol area. Typically at 512 will not miss the contacts. TMO uses stock time compression. Things can happen too fast for player sub sensors to catch one another and high TC will foul up weather and eventually the time of day, sunsets, dawn etc.

Typically will slow down for enemy contacts, friendlies and neutrals not so much.

From C:/UBI/CFG/Main

[TIME COMPRESSION]
TimeStop=0
RealTime=1
LandProximity=4
CriticalDamage=1
CrewEfficiency=128;1
AirEnemyDetected=1
SoundEffects=2
CharacterAnim=4
EnemyDetected=8
RadioReport=8
Particles=8
PrayState=8
HunterState=32
3DRender=32
Maximum=8192
With TC, I have 2... (it may be 3, will have to roll back through the mod sets I have to definitely cross confirm this... ) that despite rechecking them, those settings, are getting bypassed & original values are being used. Which... doesn't make any sense... as the other parts of values there... are being adhered to.

Am including the base "[TIME COMPRESSION]" settings, that I have in each & every one of My, 9 mod sets I have... would be 10, but... am going through that set to make sure everything is there, before... I go for setting that 1 up. (Soviet Waterways SH4 mod set... would be # 10 )

[TIME COMPRESSION]
TimeStop=0
RealTime=1
LandProximity=8
CriticalDamage=1
CrewEfficiency=128;1
AirEnemyDetected=1
SoundEffects=2
CharacterAnim=4
EnemyDetected=1
RadioReport=1
Particles=64
PrayState=256
HunterState=256
3DRender=32
Maximum=512

My issue that, I'm running into... is I go for 512 TC, am expecting it to dead stop, once 512 TC is reached, but.. it's not.. it keeps on racking up. Is to the point, I have to keep My eye on the TC indicator & stop hitting the time compression increase key ( which is either "+" or "num. key +". Weirdly enough... reducing or pausing, no issues there... decreasing TC, soon as it hits pause, it dead stops.

Issue 2, is as with gandyrail there & what they are experiencing... on coming across other ships (including air targets... regardless of IFF status... ) sub, keeps chugging along when I am set to get hauled back to 1 TC. When it comes to land or radio message, however... as seen above, I get hauled out of high TC & back to 1 TC.

Am at a loss as to why it is doing that... is driving Me... insane. Ugh.

M. M.

side note:
your TMOverhauled v2.5 set, Bubblehead1980... is NOT one of those, 2 or 3 mod sets that have this issue... I am, using that same [TIME COMPRESSION] set up in it &... is working b..e..a.. utiful... in it, though.
Old 11-30-21, 09:41 PM   #252
gandyrail
Watch

Downloads: 117
Default time keeps chugging

Correct, the game drops to TC 1:1 when I get a radio message. It also drops to a I think 1:8 when in shallow water. I wonder if TC slows down if I encounter SH4 stock ships that have not been modded? I have not played enough yet to know ... The time chugs along no matter what compression I use I travel at 512 or in the 1000's. In the patrol area no more than 256 which does not go to 1:1 either.
Old 11-30-21, 09:43 PM   #253
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Well, that is just one of those SH 4 things I believe. I typically transit at 1056x time to and from patrol area, and 512 or less when close to and in patrol area.
you had better make it 1024x, If you make it 1056, you risk a CTD.

LAA enabled
Old 12-01-21, 05:30 AM   #254
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
you had better make it 1024x, If you make it 1056, you risk a CTD.

Actually meant 1024x. Although, have had no CTD at any rate of time compression in ages.
Old 12-05-21, 05:09 PM   #255
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Default SJ Radar still not working

ok, so, we survived until August 42 and SJ Radar was installed on our Porpoise.

we put to see and no radar.

what can be amiss?

130 AlliedShipsTMO
140 ShipsforTMO
150 EAX_Sound_Sim_SH4
170 IJN_Radar_Fix_2
200 DecoysTMO
220 AAtoDeckguns+Radio
800 TMO_BH_Fixes_MTB (date and eqp fixes)

LAA enabled