SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-06-21, 04:32 PM   #31
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Places wehere I often cionbstruct, are Abernathy Farm, and two flat roof areas at The Commons, one in the south-west-corner that offers plenty of space but needs some tricks to deal with uneven surfaces there, and the other on the Eastern side that can be accessed through a parking house, a small place there is. The Abernathy Farm I have buk,d so many times it makies me dizzy by now. I usually deconstruct the site inside the tower mast completely and then build new, but there are a few places were invisible walls and obstacles remain, two or three such places in the upper floor. One has to know these, then one learns how to build new walls right in these places, and then the AI does not has people trying to walk through them anymore. I built small concrete hats there, I built wooden cozy farm houses there. I built three floor red stone buildings in that powermast there. I built modern institute module buildings there. One has to learn some tricks so to be able to melt the metal mast into the selfmade construction, its often a question of sequence in which new elements get added to make it work, while otherwise it would not fit. I think by now I am a base construction veteran.

Some of the buildings were so absolutely "gemütlich" and cozy that I would not have minded to move right in there.
Old 09-09-21, 08:06 AM   #32
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by les green01 View Post
you guys are giving me the urge to play fallout again

Everyone's doing it! Haha, why not?

Great shots Skybird, thanks for posting them. Your modded install looks great.

I have yet to take to the building side of the game. A few tactically placed walls, some turrets, beds and water and I call it a day. I treat settlements as crash pads, and a place to save my progress (survival mode).

I usually get in to that side of games, but so far it has not taken root with Fallout 4.

I hit level 33, and it's all going well. I'm past the 'hobo phase' and have lots of great perks, and weapons with modifications. I did ballistic weave on a set of army fatigues and a newsboy cap, together they provide 180/180 before any other armor pieces are put on. Seems a bit OP but there ya go. Having a great time with Fallout 4, glad I decided to give it a go.
Old 09-09-21, 07:04 PM   #33
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

downloading it now have to take look at the mods again
les green01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-21, 05:21 PM   #34
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

I like to take full advantage that the buildings I construct obey absolutely no rules of physics.

If the game allows me to do it, it ain't cheatin'
Old 09-13-21, 05:23 PM   #35
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threadfin View Post

I did ballistic weave on a set of army fatigues and a newsboy cap,

I like ballistic weave on the Silver Shroud outfit.
Old 09-15-21, 07:41 AM   #36
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
I like ballistic weave on the Silver Shroud outfit.

You're rollin' with style.

Still playing. Hit level 48 in Survival mode, no mods. Having a good time with this game. Survival mode keeps the challenge up, and past the point where I felt immortal in normal mode. My character can deal some serious damage, but the enemies can too. The NPCs deal +400% damage over normal, so even with a high armor rating and some DR bonuses there's a real chance to be killed, which honestly there was not in normal mode by about level 35. This increased lethality for the enemies keeps you on your toes and makes moving around the map fraught with danger, which is key to keeping me engaged.

One of the best parts of Fallout 4, and both FO3 and FNV too, is that the upgrade system and perk trees are fantastic. So many useful and cool perks, that even at level 48 there are still plenty I want to get. Compared to a game like say, Kingdom Come Deliverance, which had a decidedly uninspiring leveling system, FO4 is great.

I really like games that cause me to agonize over decisions and opportunity cost, and Fallout does this very well
Old 09-16-21, 02:44 AM   #37
Skybird
Soaring

Jedem Tierchen sein Pläsierchen.

For me, its all about nest-building. And having an occasional huge firefight with a whole crew against a full company of enemies.

If you look for challenges by stronger opposition, use the improved raider and improved gunner mod. But dont complain, because these mods - well, improve them. Tougher armor. Stronger weapons. Bigger numbers. Strongholds of theirs. Once in a month I call all my ladies to arms and band of six that we are we come over Quincy and clean the place up again. These mods make it a gunner stronghold. There are then two dozens of them, or more, I am not certain, and they have good equipment. The party is usually extraordinarily hot.

Last edited by Skybird; 09-16-21 at 02:52 AM.
Skybird is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-21, 08:31 AM   #38
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Thanks once again for the mod recommendation, but as I said I am finding enemies lethal already, and have no compelling desire to increase that.

It was between levels 30 and 35 that the game shifts in to a more deadly arena, with the random encounters and patrolling NPCs boosted to more robust composition. More behemoths, death claws, rust devils and that sort of thing. Survival mode is supposed to have a 30 day re-population cycle, but since around that time (level 35 or so) it seems to be much faster than that, with some places restocked the next day. Plenty of action and XP on the map.

You and I have very different approaches I can see. I'm more in to the role playing aspect, living the life of the loner stealth sniper. I travel alone, or with the dog, bed down in out of the way spots, such as the roof of the Red Rocket near the BoS HQ in Cambridge or at Taffington Boathouse, which has attracted no settlers and I aim to keep it that way

I've aligned with factions of course for the quests, items, vertibirds and XP, but have no desire to actually BE a part of their organizations, just using them for the trinkets and trouble.

I spend the bulk of my time patrolling, just out looking for trouble, exploring, getting in to fire fights. I'm nearly level 50 and I bet I have yet to see half of the game.
Old 10-04-21, 08:07 AM   #39
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Just a follow up. I finished the main quest, at level 76! I chose the Minutemen path, destroying the Institute, but managed to keep both BoS and RR as allies. It's great that FO4 has no level cap, and that helped to keep me engaged as the game went on. I think FNV had a cap of 30, before DLC when I played it.

I paid $10 for the GotY edition, and ended up playing nearly 350 hours. That was a shrewd purchase. I had a blast with this game, and I'm not done, but ready for a break.

I'm a big fan of FO3 and FNV, and while FO4 is different in many ways -- less RPG and more shooter for example -- it is a great game in it's own right. The game world is fantastic, it looks great, the gunplay is fun and the perks are strong, useful and varied. My character was obviously well-rounded with so many levels on offer, but Survival mode helped to counter this and keep the challenge level high throughout the run.

I dipped my toes in to all of the DLC, but interestingly none of it really grabbed me. Far Harbor is the one I did the most, but I didn't care for the terrain, the fog, the restricted sightlines. I never built a robot, and I went to Nuka World (the gauntlet is no joke on Survival mode) but having gone though so much to bring a brighter end game to the Minutemen I have no desire to now throw that away and lead the raiders.

All in all Fallout 4 is a great game and I'm happy I both gave it a pass at release and tried it now, with the game at its most seasoned and fleshed out with the DLC. It is a massive game experience, just stuffed with content and things to see and do. I had so much fun playing this I've reinstalled New Vegas for another go, this time with the DLC.
Old 10-04-21, 09:21 AM   #40
Skybird
Soaring

Imagine to roam the Commonwealth in pitchblakc nights, frightening radiation storms and rioanfall and thunder that leaves oyuj blind, and a green vegetation that has returned (and blocking your sight additionally).

I have started a new match recently, and deactivated all the enemy imrpvoement mods and additonal stuff, elft only the environment imprvements active, and play Survival mode again. Haven't done that for years.

This game keeps me going. When I have imroived my character and base so mucnbt hat it becomnes dull, I immediately feel tempted to restart from scratch again. No oher game has driven me that excessively, not even Skyrim which i also tremendously loved.
Old 10-04-21, 10:25 AM   #41
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

A survival run? Awesome, have fun, I sure did.

Yeah, I didn't apply a single mod, bone stock all the way through and while there were a few things I would have modded to tailor it to my tastes, the vanilla experience was still a lot of fun.

Survival mode ironically was not challenging due to the survival aspects. Matter of fact, I ended with just four points in Endurance (the other SPECIALS were all much higher at the end) and I only purchased one Endurance perk, spending an early point on Life Giver (+20 health). At the time that represented 20% of my health and probably saved me a few reloads. But by the end it was less than 5% of my health and I saw it as a wasted point really.

The only two points I regretted spending were that one and another in Mysterious Stranger, which I took at level 27 and by level 76 I had seen him three times. Three!

No the challenge in Survival mode is the boost to enemy strength. The fact they do +400% damage over normal is a big shift and that's primarily responsible for keeping the challenge level high enough to keep me engaged. That, and the restricted saves, which impart a sense of mortality that quick saves erase. Being an hour in to a long mission, knowing that any death now would render all that game time, XP and loot lost, does a great job of shifting me in to a self-preservation mode. Finally the weight restrictions, and ammo with weight, had a nice effect on inventory management, which I liked.

Good luck in your run, and I'll check to see if you've posted any updates as you go along.
Old 10-04-21, 01:47 PM   #42
Skybird
Soaring

Actually I use a mod named Cheat Terminal to allow savings. This is because occasionally the game crashes, like all Bethedsa games occasionally seem to do. Its a safeguard.

You really should check it out, it is an omnipotent mod that allows you to alter and tweak so many things, possibly hundreds, to your liking, while there is none you need to do. Possible you find things that you would like, since you also can reverse perk points spent, for example, and hundreds of other things.

Rejecting it you still can. But checking it out first you really should. Its the mother of all mods.

AFT (advanced follower tweaks) also is something one should check before rejecting it. And may it be only to diversify the outfit of your companion(s).
Old 10-04-21, 03:14 PM   #43
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

No one will believe me in all probability, but I had zero crashes through this entire run. Maybe the mods make it crash?

And thanks for the recommendation.
Old 10-04-21, 03:53 PM   #44
Skybird
Soaring

Instable mods can add to the likelihood of crashes. But Bethesda games back to Oblivion always occasionally crashed for me. Not often enough that I cared, however, its not as if they are completely instable. They run stable enough, and then some.

Mods like War of The Commonwelath however are known to destabilise the game, especially when users poush their options (for numbers of actions,acvitvities, events, enemeies) too far. It can take some experimenting. I always would recommend to start with lower settings.

Many mods do not affect stability at all, btw.

I assume default game options, especially graphics, also can add to the chances for a crash.

Never mind for the recommendations. We are here to talk about a game we like, aren't we?

I found these:

The auhtor of this video says it somewhere: htese four mods you need to make the survival mode complete.

There are many mods that make the enviuronment green again. The effects and atmpsheric chnages vary widely, spo this is just one maongst mayn options to choose from so that you get an idea what is possible.

Cheat Terminal

AFT

BTW, I get all mods via the ingame main menu, not via Nexus. Many authors also havce withdrawn their mods from Nexus due to their changed business policies.
Old 10-06-21, 12:09 PM   #45
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Thanks, those look interesting, and if I were to return to FO4 I will have a look. For now I've moved on to New Vegas believe it or not. I was pleasantly surprised to find the cloud still had my saves from 2013! After kicking it around I decided to just pick up where I left off, nearly a decade later!

My character was level 17 ( this was a second run and now level 20 already) and I had made a few regrettable build path decisions, ones which I would do differently if starting anew. And while the graphics show its age, the core gameplay is still as good as ever and it's been fun coming back to it after so much time.

We talked about how FO4 is more shooter than RPG, and New Vegas is the opposite, and perhaps more in my wheelhouse, even if I did find FO4 to be a great game. I prefer the system mechanics in New Vegas. RPGs are my jam and so it follows.

I only have one DLC, called the Caravan Pack, which I think was a pre-order bonus. I have no other DLC, and the fact it exists is part of why I came back. I'll get all of that and see the game in a new light, even if it still looks old