SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-12-21, 05:24 PM   #16
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 488
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjöbjörn View Post
What is the easiest way to find out? I downloaded it from the links here:
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=174225

Does that mean I'm still missing Stiebler's? Now when I googled I found this:
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=217396

The last link I have not downloaded or installed. Is that something that would improve my life?

If the mod you're using is from the first link, you are using H.sie's patch. I'm not sure what you have in the V16B1 mod folder; for his mod all you need is the Supplemental folder with the patched .exe in that. There is a gauge mod folder in his mod files that can be used too if desired. See his instructions for details.
But since you're not using Stiebler's patch, disregard my earlier mod order comment.
Also, Stiebler's patch (just like H.sie's) is optional; you don't have to use it if you don't want to.
I consider both must-haves myself, but others don't. All a matter of what one prefers.
Old 11-13-21, 06:16 AM   #17
Sjöbjörn
Nub

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pancoast View Post
If the mod you're using is from the first link, you are using H.sie's patch. I'm not sure what you have in the V16B1 mod folder; for his mod all you need is the Supplemental folder with the patched .exe in that. There is a gauge mod folder in his mod files that can be used too if desired. See his instructions for details.
But since you're not using Stiebler's patch, disregard my earlier mod order comment.
Also, Stiebler's patch (just like H.sie's) is optional; you don't have to use it if you don't want to.
I consider both must-haves myself, but others don't. All a matter of what one prefers.
Thank you for the feedback and clarification!
Yes, in regards of "V16B1" the only thing I did was patching the .exe and ensure I got the 4GB thing turned on as well as the other fixes. Then I also followed the instructions and (1) added the whole "Supplement to V16B1" folder to my MODS and applied as well as (2) manually adjust the en_menu.txt and "Campaign_SCR.mis" as instructed. (I spent couple of hours first seraching for CE Blank error until I realised I just missed one important instruction of the installation).
I also saw the optional gauge mod as well and got interested (feels a bit odd as it is now with the CE guy talking about oxygen levels but what I see is the CO2 levels). But decided to keep my fingers away from touching anything more as I already spent a working day with installing mods while what I really wanted to do was to play and enjoy a day at the sea in my U-boat!

I think, as I now have a game that I'm able to play and enjoy a couple of hours with, I will not try to challenge this by trying to install the Stiebler's patch. I also read in that thread that it's not recommended for users without "the knowledge and experience to adjust their own files as they wish". I feel like this is me.

On topic:
I played a bit yesterday evening and was able to keep my fingers away from the watch officer. This way it worked. I just use him from the lower-left menu (e.g. for estimating distance to nearest ship).
If anyone still can help me with how to adjust the camera settings in the cameras.dat or how to disable WO guy as "clickable", let me know. Otherwise, I will survive.

Thanks again everyone, so great to see these kind of niche forums still alive on the internet with great people out there supporting each other in these kind of very niche nerdery. Love it!

Sjöbjörn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-21, 08:15 PM   #18
WolfyBrandon
Frogman

Downloads: 105
Default A Possible Solution...

A possible solution for those with this issue...

I also had the bug when clicking on the Watch Officer where it changes the camera to looking up at the sky and positioned way above the conning tower.

There is a fix provided by DivingDuck for the Open Hatch mod, but can also be used standalone without the Open Hatch mod. The fix only changes the data/Objects/Turm(uboat)_hd.cam files, I'm unsure if that will conflict with other mods you might have but you can always enable via JSGME and check...

What the fix does is change the functionality when clicking on the Watch Officer. Instead of the camera moving and showing the Watch Officers options above his icon, he will just give you a report on the "Nearest Visual Target".

It's actually a nice shortcut to request info on the nearest visual target (if there is one).

The only minor quirk with it is if you click on him, and there is a visual target available, he will turn to face you when he gives you the report and will stay like that long after he gives you the report until you change to a different camera view. You can do this by simply scrolling the mouse wheel to use the binoculars for a quick second (which you will probably do anyway if he reports a visual contact to you), so it's not really an issue at all...

This has been the best solution I have found, and is what I am currently using, so I thought I would share it with anyone who is interested.

You can find the download link at the bottom of the first post in the link below, look for...

"DD_OH_V3.09_ConningDeckCam_Fix_20091210230737.7z"

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=104514

WolfyBrandon

[Current JSGME Mods Used In My Game] "Dave, you will always be remembered! R.I.P." U-759

Last edited by WolfyBrandon; 11-20-21 at 04:28 AM.
WolfyBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-21, 04:24 AM   #19
Mister_M
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 26

This bug is due to the fact that the mod (probably) enable you to have free move on the conning tower.

Open any .cam file in Objects folder with the Silent Hunter 3 Editor (S3D). Go in Focusable3DObj nodes. If Command = "Watch officer", then set Allow selection on "False". There will be the same little drawback as described above ("if you click on him, he will turn to face you and will stay like that until you change to a different camera view. You can do this by simply scrolling the mouse wheel to use the binoculars for a quick second").

Last edited by Mister_M; 11-20-21 at 06:00 AM.
Mister_M is offline   Reply With Quote