SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-04-20, 06:07 PM   #1
Hazelwood
Bosun

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0
Default A Fix for Windows 10 Blocking SH4 Executable

Ahoy Colleagues,

It's possible I'm the only person on the planet to have run into this problem but if any of you also have done so and are still struggling, the following may prove helpful...

Inexplicably, a couple of days ago Windows started blocking SH4.exe from execution. It would show a seriously red headlined pop-up with a warning and the disappointing advice that it would not launch SH4. This may have to do with a recent Windows security update. My anti-virus and anti-spyware confirmed no intrusions. I spent a highly frustrating day trying various Internet solutions including disabling the "hidden" UAC - all to no avail. What finally worked was to create an "elevated" shortcut with full privileges for SH4.exe, using the Task Scheduler as nicely described at the link below. There are quite a few steps but it's really easy. The author is to be commended for providing complete instructions:

https://winaero.com/blog/create-elev...in-windows-10/

This may be one of the few (or only) solutions that doesn't involve shutting down or otherwise compromising Windows security. It's specific to the application which is just what you want. The new shortcut has some mysterious useless icon but really, who cares? I'll figure out how to replace it one day.

Best wishes,
JHzlwd
Hazelwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-20, 11:43 PM   #2
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

thank you for this, im sure it will help many

progress seems to be more trouble then its worth sometimes
Old 03-08-20, 10:29 PM   #3
ironkross
Lieutenant

Downloads: 64
Icon9

My windows 10 just upgraded. I had played SH4 just today. Now, using Steam, the game won't start. I don't get a warning window, or anything else. It just does not start. Other games on Steam still work. It's just SH4.
Old 03-09-20, 12:31 AM   #4
wade88
Swabbie

Downloads: 31

run it directly from the directory and see what happens.
Old 03-10-20, 10:00 PM   #5
ironkross
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade88 View Post
I tried that with same result.
SH4 1.5 with the FotRSU mod was running on steam Windows10pro 64bit OS, in the steam directory. Everything ran great, everytime. Until the last Windows update. After that SH4 1.5 would not start. However SH4 1.4 which was also on steam listed as a separate game did run.
I uninstalled 1.5 and reinstalled. Somewhere in that process I reinstalled 1.4 version. Now neither game runs. On the Steam box it says the game is running. If I click on cancel nothing happens, the cancel button remains. Task mgr shows the game exe running. I have tried since to start the exe from the directory. I have tried to run it with Windows 7 compatibility mode. No change, and it ran fine previously not in compatibility mode.

Thanks, for the response, and any further help.
Old 03-10-20, 10:11 PM   #6
ironkross
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironkross View Post
I tried that with same result.
SH4 1.5 with the FotRSU mod was running on steam Windows10pro 64bit OS, in the steam directory. Everything ran great, everytime. Until the last Windows update. After that SH4 1.5 would not start. However SH4 1.4 which was also on steam listed as a separate game did run.
I uninstalled 1.5 and reinstalled. Somewhere in that process I reinstalled 1.4 version. Now neither game runs. On the Steam box it says the game is running. If I click on cancel nothing happens, the cancel button remains. Task mgr shows the game exe running. I have tried since to start the exe from the directory. I have tried to run it with Windows 7 compatibility mode. No change, and it ran fine previously not in compatibility mode.

Thanks, for the response, and any further help.
OK, maybe it was a compatibility setting, I ran the windows troubleshooter and got the SH4 1.4 version going. DL Uboat missions now and (fingers X'd) maybe it will play. OMG this has been 2 days of stress.
Old 03-11-20, 01:00 AM   #7
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

Why are you running 1.4 if you have 1.5?

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-20, 06:07 AM   #8
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

It is probably actually the v1.3 of the SH4 game from Steam that they have ETR3(SS). Steam has a little "gotcha" in that the v1.5 of the game is actually a Uboat Missions Add-on, so a player has to purchase the v1.3 of the game, and the v1.5 add-on, installing both, in order to run the v1.5 of the game...it's like 2008 all over again - Ground Hog Day, etc... In either case, a Steam player like ironkross has to be careful not to install the game into the default "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam \SteamApps \common \Silent Hunter..." folder structure, and like the other versions of the game, install it into a folder of their own creation and naming, that is outside of the Windows' protection racket of a "Program Files" folder structure. In Steam, this entails creating a new "Steam Library" folder, as per Moving a Steam Installation and Games on the Steam Support site. Also, when re-installing the Steam game, a player has to make certain that the "DirectX v9.0c" and "Windows Media Codecs" are also installed, along with the Steam game, else you will not get a window for it to run in... The v1.3 of the game is basically useless to a player, and there are very few mods made for it, but is necessary to have so that the Uboats v1.5 will run, especially if a player wants to add mods to the game, since most of them are made for v1.5 only...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-20, 09:11 AM   #9
ironkross
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
It is probably actually the v1.3 of the SH4 game from Steam that they have ETR3(SS). Steam has a little "gotcha" in that the v1.5 of the game is actually a Uboat Missions Add-on, so a player has to purchase the v1.3 of the game, and the v1.5 add-on, installing both, in order to run the v1.5 of the game...it's like 2008 all over again - Ground Hog Day, etc... In either case, a Steam player like ironkross has to be careful not to install the game into the default "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam \SteamApps \common \Silent Hunter..." folder structure, and like the other versions of the game, install it into a folder of their own creation and naming, that is outside of the Windows' protection racket of a "Program Files" folder structure. In Steam, this entails creating a new "Steam Library" folder, as per Moving a Steam Installation and Games on the Steam Support site. Also, when re-installing the Steam game, a player has to make certain that the "DirectX v9.0c" and "Windows Media Codecs" are also installed, along with the Steam game, else you will not get a window for it to run in... The v1.3 of the game is basically useless to a player, and there are very few mods made for it, but is necessary to have so that the Uboats v1.5 will run, especially if a player wants to add mods to the game, since most of them are made for v1.5 only...
Thanks, yes this is correct. I was incorrectly referring to 1.4 when I should have said v1.3.
I had to buy the basic SH4 on Steam before I could run SH4 Uboat missions(aka v1.5). I actually had v1.5 on DVD but could not get it to run on my Windows10 pc so Steam was my only recourse. At least it was on sale.
Old 03-12-20, 03:49 PM   #10
Hazelwood
Bosun

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade88 View Post
No dice. Only the "elevated" shortcut works.

Best wishes,
Hazelwood
Hazelwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-20, 06:21 PM   #11
ironkross
Lieutenant

I am running SH4 right now from the Steam install, in the default Steam folder.
I have split my D drive and made a new E drive and put the new Steam library there. However, when I started reading from the link above, about moving the existing Steam folder into the new drive, that's where I get hung up. Step 3. says " Delete all of the files and folders except the SteamApps & Userdata folders and Steam.exe." This seems too extreme! There are a lot of files there. 98,498 Files, 9,123 Folders. I am very hesitant to delete everything except SteamApps and Userdata and the exe.
This is where I am, and as I said the game runs ok in the default folder.
So... how important is it to run in another drive/folder structure?
Old 03-12-20, 09:50 PM   #12
propbeanie

It's not important at all if you don't use mods. The alternative method is to install the game to the new E: drive Library folder, but you might have to un-install it first. No matter which way you go, it does take a while to accomplish... that is just the nature of Steam. Those files that you delete in the "manual" method of moving everything, are re-created after the move, so you do need a lot of hard drive space. Steam stays in the Program Files folder (for the most part), but the game and necessary Steam files for the licensing are in the new Library folder.

Old 03-12-20, 10:42 PM   #13
ironkross
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
It's not important at all if you don't use mods. The alternative method is to install the game to the new E: drive Library folder, but you might have to un-install it first. No matter which way you go, it does take a while to accomplish... that is just the nature of Steam. Those files that you delete in the "manual" method of moving everything, are re-created after the move, so you do need a lot of hard drive space. Steam stays in the Program Files folder (for the most part), but the game and necessary Steam files for the licensing are in the new Library folder.
Thanks for the info and clarification PB.
I may leave as is for awhile. I just spent 2 days just making SH4 work again. That was enough tinkering for this week!
I'll move after my current mission is over.
Old 04-05-21, 03:20 PM   #14
Sosondowah
Watch

Downloads: 20

Starting today, I am encountering the same issue (see attachment). I wasn't even able to take a screenshot, I had to do a picture with my phone.

When I try to start the game normally, nothing happens and this message appears when I try to run the program as an administrator. I have the 1.5 version of the game, the "old" version, not Steam.

I've tried to take privileges, to drop security and so on, nothing helps. Did anyone found a solution for this? I mean a real solution, not a workaround.

https://ibb.co/XVsrdLP

It's funny, I am supposed to be the administrator of my PC, good or bad, but it seems there is a some big brother in a higher plane watching over my safety.

Sosondowah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-21, 05:24 PM   #15
propbeanie

Windows 10 and the 'modern' computing world demand a bit more of a person seeking to run 'legacy' software these days...

Read through this, and change the Properties setting of the SH4.exe file:
SH4 won't start after recent Win10 update