SUBSIM Radio Room Forums



SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2019, 05:04 AM   #16
PanzerDan86
Seaman
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 33
Downloads: 40
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
Exactly the same setup but no CTD...
Vecko, this may be a stupid question..but how exactly are you ordering the upgrades? Is there a trick to it?

Here's how I do it - I end a patrol, save in the bunker, exit to main menu, load the save. Then I talk to the upgrade guy first, select the extended conning tower and exit his dialogue. Then I go to the mission guy, ask him for a new mission, select the mission (BCW for example) and then click in the top right of the map to exit the map. Then I click on the mission guy again, and say "let's start the patrol".

When I follow these steps, the game will start to load but then will always CTD. I've also tried saving the game after doing all of the above steps except for "let's start the patrol". Then, reloading the game and just doing the last step of "let's start the patrol" and it still CTDs.

If I do EVERYTHING the exact same way EXCEPT selecting the conning tower upgrade...everything works fine. I'm now on my 3rd patrol in this VIIB and I've re-tried the upgrades between the 2nd and 3rd patrols and got the same results..CTD if I select the conning tower. So at this point I'm afraid I'm just going to have to keep using the "stock" VIIB until I get the VIIC.

Am I missing a step in the process somewhere? Am I doing something obviously wrong?


Also, how does it eventually work to get the VIIC? When will that happen? And how does it happen? Do you get the VIIC eventually via the upgrade guy? Or does it just automatically come sometime in 1940 after I end a successful patrol? Will I need to disable the VIIB mod in order to get the VIIC? I'm starting to worry that I'll be stuck with this VIIB and unable to upgrade it for the entire war if I'm not careful.

Last edited by PanzerDan86; 11-17-2019 at 05:16 AM.
PanzerDan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 06:20 AM   #17
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully
 
THEBERBSTER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Dibden Purlieu - Southampton
Posts: 9,610
Downloads: 1100
Uploads: 0


Default

Hi PD
When I end a patrol/mission I always exit back to the desktop and start the game again so I know all the data has been cleared.
PM sent.
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:14 AM   #18
vdr1981
Navy Seal
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Србија
Posts: 6,069
Downloads: 573
Uploads: 13


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanzerDan86 View Post
Vecko, this may be a stupid question..but how exactly are you ordering the upgrades? Is there a trick to it?

Here's how I do it - I end a patrol, save in the bunker, exit to main menu, load the save. Then I talk to the upgrade guy first, select the extended conning tower and exit his dialogue. Then I go to the mission guy, ask him for a new mission, select the mission (BCW for example) and then click in the top right of the map to exit the map. Then I click on the mission guy again, and say "let's start the patrol".

When I follow these steps, the game will start to load but then will always CTD. I've also tried saving the game after doing all of the above steps except for "let's start the patrol". Then, reloading the game and just doing the last step of "let's start the patrol" and it still CTDs.

If I do EVERYTHING the exact same way EXCEPT selecting the conning tower upgrade...everything works fine. I'm now on my 3rd patrol in this VIIB and I've re-tried the upgrades between the 2nd and 3rd patrols and got the same results..CTD if I select the conning tower. So at this point I'm afraid I'm just going to have to keep using the "stock" VIIB until I get the VIIC.

Am I missing a step in the process somewhere? Am I doing something obviously wrong?
Actually, save and reloads in bunker at patrol end are quite irrelevant in latest TWoS version since it's quite stable. One save/relaod in bunker is only mandatory at the campaign chapter start.


Quote:
Also, how does it eventually work to get the VIIC? When will that happen? And how does it happen? Do you get the VIIC eventually via the upgrade guy? Or does it just automatically come sometime in 1940 after I end a successful patrol? Will I need to disable the VIIB mod in order to get the VIIC? I'm starting to worry that I'll be stuck with this VIIB and unable to upgrade it for the entire war if I'm not careful.
Type VIIC will become available for you in Western Aproaches/Mare Nostrum campaigns but only if your ratings are positive...
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 10:37 AM   #19
PanzerDan86
Seaman
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 33
Downloads: 40
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
Type VIIC will become available for you in Western Aproaches/Mare Nostrum campaigns but only if your ratings are positive...
Ok cool, but how are ratings determined? Does it have to do with the number of ships I sink? I would assume so, but it would be good to have this confirmed. Whenever I exit the game after saving, the screen says "Rating: Promising". Does that mean that I'll get the upgrade once I select a new campaign?


Another question for you:

On my second patrol I selected BCW because it was the only one available. Once I was already at sea, the "Breaking the Fortress" mission became available so I never actually got to select it directly. However, I entered Scapa Flow and sunk a large battleship while I was supposed to be doing the BCW mission. I think I sank it on October 9th. After sinking the battleship I returned to BCW and kept sinking merchants and made sure to remain at sea until the deadline for breaking the fortress passed (October 15th) and the mission was no longer visible. I then ended my 2nd patrol on October 16th. Did I get credit for completing Breaking the fortress? Or was I supposed to end the patrol before October 15th to get credit for it? I don't see any of the Iron Cross emblems across the top of my map where the different missions are available. I don't even see them for the BCW mission either...even though I sank some ships within the zone. Now I'm on my 3rd patrol doing the Northern Approaches mission. Have I messed up my campaign progress? Do I need to keep sinking ships in a mission until I see the Iron Cross emblem? Are Iron Cross emblems the way to tell if you've "passed" a mission?

Last edited by PanzerDan86; 11-17-2019 at 10:50 AM.
PanzerDan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 07:34 AM   #20
PanzerDan86
Seaman
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 33
Downloads: 40
Uploads: 0
Default

I realize Vecko must be busy. Is there anyone else that could answer my questions in the above post about obtaining a positive captain rating and knowing whether I finished the individual missions in the Coastal Waters campaign?
PanzerDan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:08 AM   #21
vdr1981
Navy Seal
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Србија
Posts: 6,069
Downloads: 573
Uploads: 13


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanzerDan86 View Post
I realize Vecko must be busy. Is there anyone else that could answer my questions in the above post about obtaining a positive captain rating and knowing whether I finished the individual missions in the Coastal Waters campaign?
I general, 1000 renown points (per patrol!) will bring you 1 rating point. 100 renown and less (again per patrol) will give you -1. This means that you don't want to skip patrols in order to "speed up the war", always sink at least 1-2 "normal" ships before you decide to go home.
Every ship in the game has it's own specific renown values. For example, medium freighters have 120-150 points, tankers ~200-250 and some rare and valuable ships can have 500 points and even more...
Maintaining positive rating (1 and more) will bring you regular equipment upgrades and new U-boat offers. If you go negative than you may use your current sub type indefinitely...

Use KSDCommander to track your rating and renown points. You will also see realistic awards and medals there. Check it out, it's really a cool program. IN-game medals system is not historically accurate.

Don't think much about secondary missions and flotilla objectives, just be efficient and you'll be OK captain...

You can also take a look at this article... https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...postcount=3816
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 03:01 PM   #22
PanzerDan86
Seaman
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 33
Downloads: 40
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
I general, 1000 renown points (per patrol!) will bring you 1 rating point. 100 renown and less (again per patrol) will give you -1. This means that you don't want to skip patrols in order to "speed up the war", always sink at least 1-2 "normal" ships before you decide to go home.
Every ship in the game has it's own specific renown values. For example, medium freighters have 120-150 points, tankers ~200-250 and some rare and valuable ships can have 500 points and even more...
Maintaining positive rating (1 and more) will bring you regular equipment upgrades and new U-boat offers. If you go negative than you may use your current sub type indefinitely...

Use KSDCommander to track your rating and renown points. You will also see realistic awards and medals there. Check it out, it's really a cool program. IN-game medals system is not historically accurate.

Don't think much about secondary missions and flotilla objectives, just be efficient and you'll be OK captain...

You can also take a look at this article... https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...postcount=3816
Hey Vecko, thanks for this info! Very helpful! I can already see that my rating is positive which is great. On my latest patrol I actually stumbled across a task force with a Queen Elizabeth class battleship that I sunk and got away clean from her destroyer escorts! Another 31000 tons to my credit! I'm sure BDU will be pleased!

On a side note, I'm still a little disappointed that I can't upgrade my conning tower without the game crashing. I don't have any AA armament as a result. I hope this wont' affect the VIIC in later campaigns as well....

Have you stumbled across anyone else with the same issue I'm having? It's really strange because literally everything else works smooth as butter! The mod is extremely stable apart from this issue.
PanzerDan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 05:22 AM   #23
PanzerDan86
Seaman
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 33
Downloads: 40
Uploads: 0
Default

Hello Vecko,

I hope you've been doing well! I wanted to just ask again if there has been any development or fix for the conning tower issue? I recently upgraded to TWOS version 2.2.18 and I'm still having the same conning tower CTDs even on a new campaign. Every time I try to upgrade the conning tower and start a new patrol...CTD. When don't upgrade the conning tower everything is working fine. Any ideas?
PanzerDan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 10:26 PM   #24
sonar112
Bilge Rat
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 1
Downloads: 84
Uploads: 0
Default Info

Hi,i am having the same problem, has anyone come up with a solution or workaround ?
cheers, top site by the way lads.
sonar112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 01:10 AM   #25
les green01
Seasoned Skipper
 
les green01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Freeman Missouri
Posts: 1,107
Downloads: 1234
Uploads: 0


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonar112 View Post
Hi,i am having the same problem, has anyone come up with a solution or workaround ?
cheers, top site by the way lads.
what version and are you using any other mods with TWoS
les green01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 04:51 PM   #26
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666
 
Aktungbby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: where I'm at presently
Posts: 23,049
Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0


Default Welcome aboard!

sonar 112!
__________________
"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human stupidity; And I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 05:37 PM   #27
fitzcarraldo
Argentinischer Kaleun
 
fitzcarraldo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina. Arrived in U-977 after 60 days below
Posts: 4,468
Downloads: 2521
Uploads: 0


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanzerDan86 View Post
Hello Vecko,

I hope you've been doing well! I wanted to just ask again if there has been any development or fix for the conning tower issue? I recently upgraded to TWOS version 2.2.18 and I'm still having the same conning tower CTDs even on a new campaign. Every time I try to upgrade the conning tower and start a new patrol...CTD. When don't upgrade the conning tower everything is working fine. Any ideas?
The latest version is 2.2.24. I don´t have problems passing chapters.

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo
__________________



My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.


Too old to rock'n'roll, too young to die!
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 05:33 PM   #28
PanzerDan86
Seaman
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 33
Downloads: 40
Uploads: 0
Default

So it looks like I'm still having the same issues related to both conning towers and types of submarines crashing the TWOS mod.

I completed the Happy Times campaign and tried to do the automatic transfer to Western Approaches. Here's what I've noted:

1. When the popup occurs asking whether you'd like to upgrade your submarine, every time I select "Yes" it will take me to the new campaign select screen, I choose Western Approaches and then hit next/start...and the game will crash every time.

2. When the popup occurs and I instead choose "no" to upgrading the sub, the game will not crash and I'll be able to start the Western Approaches campaign (albeit with a type VIIB).

3. When I use the type VIIB I still cannot upgrade the conning tower otherwise the game crashes when I start the patrol. I can only use the generic small conning tower.

3. After being fed-up with the crashes I looked up the mod information on "alternate campaign progression" and followed it perfectly, thinking it would fix the issue. I manually ensured that I have the type VIIC by following the instructions. However, when I load the game I still have the type VIIB according to the captains log/sub-systems info screens.

4. It appears that for whatever reason, I am only able to use the type VIIB sub with no upgrades to the conning tower. The type VIIC refuses to load altogether, and any modification to the conning tower on the type VIIB results in crashes.

5. I am playing on version 2.2.22

Am I doomed to play the entire war with an entry level type VIIB? Has there been any workaround for this problem identified? Am I the only one with these issues? Would updating to version 2.2.24 help the issue? When updating to that version, would my saved games become incompatible?

Thanks for any feedback!
PanzerDan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 06:21 AM   #29
vdr1981
Navy Seal
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Србија
Posts: 6,069
Downloads: 573
Uploads: 13


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanzerDan86 View Post
So it looks like I'm still having the same issues related to both conning towers and types of submarines crashing the TWOS mod.

I completed the Happy Times campaign and tried to do the automatic transfer to Western Approaches. Here's what I've noted:

1. When the popup occurs asking whether you'd like to upgrade your submarine, every time I select "Yes" it will take me to the new campaign select screen, I choose Western Approaches and then hit next/start...and the game will crash every time.

2. When the popup occurs and I instead choose "no" to upgrading the sub, the game will not crash and I'll be able to start the Western Approaches campaign (albeit with a type VIIB).

3. When I use the type VIIB I still cannot upgrade the conning tower otherwise the game crashes when I start the patrol. I can only use the generic small conning tower.

3. After being fed-up with the crashes I looked up the mod information on "alternate campaign progression" and followed it perfectly, thinking it would fix the issue. I manually ensured that I have the type VIIC by following the instructions. However, when I load the game I still have the type VIIB according to the captains log/sub-systems info screens.

4. It appears that for whatever reason, I am only able to use the type VIIB sub with no upgrades to the conning tower. The type VIIC refuses to load altogether, and any modification to the conning tower on the type VIIB results in crashes.

5. I am playing on version 2.2.22

Am I doomed to play the entire war with an entry level type VIIB? Has there been any workaround for this problem identified? Am I the only one with these issues? Would updating to version 2.2.24 help the issue? When updating to that version, would my saved games become incompatible?

Thanks for any feedback!
Hi PanzerDan86 and welcome back
Did you try to backup your gamesaves and reinstall the game/mod completely? Did you by any chance edit some game files by your self with custom mods or by using goblin editor?

Please upload your last HT gamesave, prior the campaign transfer....

And yes, 2.2.24 gamesaves should be compatible.

Last edited by vdr1981; 12-24-2021 at 06:29 AM.
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 08:31 AM   #30
PanzerDan86
Seaman
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 33
Downloads: 40
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
Hi PanzerDan86 and welcome back
Did you try to backup your gamesaves and reinstall the game/mod completely? Did you by any chance edit some game files by your self with custom mods or by using goblin editor?

Please upload your last HT gamesave, prior the campaign transfer....

And yes, 2.2.24 gamesaves should be compatible.
Hey! It's good to be back!

I haven't tried to backup may game saves or reinstall the game/mod completely. I did all of that a couple years ago when I wanted to get back into SH5...complete uninstall, wipe everything, start from fresh (followed all instructions). At that time (2019 I think?) everything ran smoothly (and still does) apart from the issues I've described in this thread. My current install of both game and TWOS was after a clean wipe.

I also do not edit any files on my own, I don't use any custom mods and have no idea what goblin editor is! hahaha! I have literally just SH5 and TWOS installed over it.

Here's a link with the savegame folder - https://www.mediafire.com/folder/clhj09mhsbpb0/0000015b

Also - my Generic Mod Enabler (v2.6.0.157) has the following mods active:
TWoS Env Settings - Brighter Nights
TWoS FX_Reduc. Fires and Expl._ Incr. Flooding via Zones
TWoS Neutrals Illuminated Only_until [Date]
TWoS Remove Map Plastic Cover
TWoS UI cmd_Auto Target ID

Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help! I appreciate you taking a look!
PanzerDan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 1995- 2022 Subsim®
"Subsim" is a registered trademark, all rights reserved.