SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-27-21, 04:07 PM   #286
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Impressive!
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-21, 10:31 PM   #287
Woozle
Swabbie

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickers03 View Post
NELSECO Diesel animation test
https://vimeo.com/650570471
Extremely impressive, I didn't even know this was possible in this engine.
Old 12-08-21, 09:32 AM   #288
vickers03
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 702
Uploads: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie
oooh-ooo-hoo.... very nice! Much of a hit on the framerate? How is the on/off going?

i found another way to control the engine. instead of "dialing" an endless animation loop
in and out of sight with a dial controller (engine rpm) i converted all the moving parts
of the engine to particle effect objects which i can now control with the state machine, this means the engine
animation will represent the actual rpm it is running on.
vickers03 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-21, 10:10 AM   #289
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3211

Quote:
i found another way to control the engine. instead of "dialing" an endless animation loop
in and out of sight with a dial controller (engine rpm) i converted all the moving parts
of the engine to particle effect objects which i can now control with the state machine, this means the engine
Awesome. Can't wait the release.

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-21, 04:33 PM   #290
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Oooh-ooo-ooohhh... noice! - we might have to "cop" a few ideas off of you later for FotRSU, with proper permissions, of course...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-21, 02:44 PM   #291
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

Quote:
Very Nice work Mate!
Old 12-10-21, 04:07 PM   #292
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

radar Re: Query...

Quote:
Ahoy, vickers03...

With that "other way", what does that mean, exactly...?

Does that, lighten the load & such... with regards to fps rate.... load time... (or perchance pray tell...) a mix/merge of those 2.?

Secondly... with that "other way" & if by chance that does indeed lighten the load & fps rate/ratio down... can that same process, be then applied to... SH3... perhaps.?

I ask this, in all seriousness... as I am truly interested... as I'm looking at ways, means, methods to slim down SH3 yet still have it load & not flat line... & on the flip side, of looking at that same possibility being able to be applied to SH4, as well.

M. M.
Old 12-10-21, 04:45 PM   #293
Nisgeis
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Ahoy, vickers03...

Using the State Machine controller you can assign custom animations to events triggered by 'states' of values in the game. For example, the electrical box sparks / steam damage effects are animations played when hull damage meets a certain criteria. I think they are a bit buggy, as the animation is meant to stop but doesn't. Anyway, you can take some value and if true, or over a certain value, trigger an animation. You can also trigger animations based on certain commands.

Quote:
Does that, lighten the load & such... with regards to fps rate.... load time... (or perchance pray tell...) a mix/merge of those 2.?
For a very simple example, you'd have one engine model that was stationary and another engine model that was animated to move. You'd attach a dial controller to both models, so that when the RPM was zero, the static model would be within the visible area and when the RPM was above zero, the animated model would be moved into the viewable area. Obviously you could refine this with more granularity on the dial controller to have a wider ride of animated objects based on RPM, but this would mean they were all 'running' and just not visible, but still being animated. With a state machine activating the animations, you'd only see the animations when the condition applicable was reached, so yes it would result in a drop in system resources, as the engine would not be being animated (off screen) unless it was running.

Quote:
Secondly... with that "other way" & if by chance that does indeed lighten the load & fps rate/ratio down... can that same process, be then applied to... SH3... perhaps.?
It would mean adding more graph states to the core game, with a StateMachineClass and would not help in slimming down (for stock).

Quote:
I ask this, in all seriousness... as I am truly interested... as I'm looking at ways, means, methods to slim down SH3 yet still have it load & not flat line... & on the flip side, of looking at that same possibility being able to be applied to SH4, as well.

M. M.
Old 12-10-21, 06:04 PM   #294
vickers03
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickers03

Very Nice work Mate!

thanks! using particle objects for machine parts is of course only the second best choice
but it works better than i expected! i wish sh4 would accept the .anm file format from sh3, that would be easy to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisgeis
It would mean adding more graph states to the core game, with a StateMachineClass and would not help in slimming down..
very well explained, thanks
Old 12-10-21, 06:54 PM   #295
vickers03
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan
my interiors are very fps-friendly and very playable even on my 10 year old laptop - but that's because i use many models with
only one texture channel (using the ambient occlusion as main texture) and the unified render controller.
Old 12-10-21, 07:39 PM   #296
vickers03
Grey Wolf

NELSECO sound check:

https://vimeo.com/655541949
Old 12-10-21, 08:24 PM   #297
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3211

Quote:
NELSECO sound check:

Very nice. Approved.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-21, 10:21 PM   #298
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
NELSECO sound check:

That is beyond cool, well done. So I take it they stop when submerged?
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-21, 03:03 AM   #299
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

radar

Quote:
Ahoy, vickers03...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisgeis View Post

Using the State Machine controller you can assign custom animations to events triggered by 'states' of values in the game. For example, the electrical box sparks / steam damage effects are animations played when hull damage meets a certain criteria. I think they are a bit buggy, as the animation is meant to stop but doesn't. Anyway, you can take some value and if true, or over a certain value, trigger an animation. You can also trigger animations based on certain commands.
Hmmm... Ok, have seen.. some of that bugginess, with certain damage animations... water spray in the control room &.. think what was supposed to be like.. sparks, I think.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisgeis View Post
It would mean adding more graph states to the core game, with a StateMachineClass and would not help in slimming down (for stock).

Quote:
very well explained, thanks
*sighs* Ahh well... hex bells...

Back.. I say... I say... back to the drawing board. Luckily, I keep all My tail feathers numbered, for just such emergencies...

Thans for the... dissection there, Nisgeis... & explanation...

M. M.
Old 12-11-21, 03:11 AM   #300
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

radar

Quote:
my interiors are very fps-friendly and very playable even on my 10 year old laptop - but that's because i use many models with
only one texture channel (using the ambient occlusion as main texture) and the unified render controller.
vickers03...

Don't doubt it... with what you said... just that... it got Me to wondering, if that couldn't be a possible means to an end, of trimming SH3 & possibly 4 down... while still retaining pretty decent looks, while speeding up load times... yet, without having the whole shooting match... crashing & burning in a sun sized fireball... in the process.

M. M.