SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-02-21, 07:09 AM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default MICROPROSE --- stop --- CARRIER COMMAND 2 --- stop --- THEY ARE BACK

August 10th. Steam.

Holy moly, classics as classic as it can get has anyone seen this coming (Carrier Command I mean, not MicroProse)...? Now I'm slobbering. Beside Speedball 2 and Dungeon Master and Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix , this is THE game of my Amiga 500 days...

Two versions for the price of one, one in 2D, one in dedicated VR.

Lets hope it is better than the Carrier Command attempt from ten years ago or so.

Last edited by Skybird; 08-03-21 at 09:08 AM.
Skybird is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-21, 07:32 AM   #2
Skybird
Soaring

Weired graphics at first sight. But the retro look has its charm, and it could work very well in VR. Voxels, if I am not mistaken. Many vids on Youtube available.
Old 08-09-21, 08:29 AM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

Old 08-11-21, 06:30 AM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

Grrrr, second time after Carrier Command Gaea Mission from around ten years ago that somebody claims to revive the old legacy - and seems to have spoilt it, and for the same reason again like Gaea: bad pathfinding, bad unit and wepaon AI. Careless mess of different package offerings in the shop do not impriove the first impression. I got some feedback on the developer's reputation, he seems to like leaving things in an unfinished state and mess up pathfinding AIs. VR seems to be really bad, namely bad interface. I would have expected the opposite, but apparently I expected wrong.

Too bad, I really wanted to like this game, but I am now in standby-and-overwatch mode, not buying. Will see whether they improve the game in the next months, but my hopes are very low. Also, for what is offered in looks and broken things, the price tag is way too high.

I hope it is no omen for its planned later titles that Microprose "Neo" offered its brand name for this publishing.

P.S. Reminds me of the various attempts there have been to recreate the original Amiga Speedball 2. Several games over the past 20 years, all failed miserably - and unneeded. Nobody got it and understood that all that was wanted to make it a big success was to just do an exact 1:1 visual and acoustic and gameplay carry-over from the Amiga to PC. No new stuff, no different looks, no nothing. People begged for right this. No developer ever understood. Every developer claimed to improve it so very much. All failed miserably. - When somethings' good, then its good. Don't "improve" it.
Old 08-12-21, 10:08 AM   #5
Sonarman
The Old Man

Downloads: 79

i bought the game and am hoping that the unit AI and pathfinding are improved, it is the curse of many games Sh2 and DC being other obvious examples. I have tried CC2 in VR as well and it not too bad but in need of refinement. Pathfinding was a lot easier for the original CC devs i suppose as all of the islands were essentially flat plains.

On price its really equivalent to what we would pay for an SH games when released and cheaper than AAA titles, actually it’s funny but we were paying the same price. For games like Red Storm Rising, Task Force 1942 etc as we pay today and that was 30+ years ago!

At least they had the sense to inculde multiplayer this time which Hostile Waters and Gaea Mission did not but the price and lack of a lobby may preclude this element from reaching its full potential.

Hostile Waters, although old, is definitely worth a look if you haven’t played it especially since its at a bargain price these days...

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2...ntaeus_Rising/

Last edited by Sonarman; 08-12-21 at 10:19 AM.
Sonarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-21, 02:08 PM   #6
Skybird
Soaring

I still have a distant eye on this (forgive me, but heck - its Carrier Command, that should suffice to forgive me !) , and I was stunned to see today that they have had two dozen patches since release, one patch practically every week, and mor eoften at times, and a major update is announced for mid-Novembre inclduing 500 suggesitons by the community, even featuring much wanted mod-content for some interface mod. It looks to me as if the developers are serious with their claim to be heavily engaged in supporting this game.

I will wait until that main update in mid-Novembre comes, scan the feedback from players, and then decide on the further policy of mine. The game actually gets predominantly positive ratings on Steam now.
Old 11-24-21, 06:19 PM   #7
Skybird
Soaring

I got it in recent sale. I have to give it to them, after the sub-optimal start they seem to stay dedicated and have improved the game significantly, it seems. It has a strong coop-MP component, players can team up and arm a complete bridge. The VR component so far shwoed to be better as in the beginning, and I read they movement of the player in VR ha sbeen improved, too.

On the negative side, the game does not make it easy to get into, there is no documentation or manual, and not many ressources on youtube, the ingame tutorial is more or less an alibi only.

At a price with a -30% tag on the price and in thsio status I do not regret it so far to have bought it, but I need to get deeper into it, so far usts cratched the surface. I see good potential.

Since this is a navy-related forum, give it a try in this video, bridge stations explained. Might get you an idea.

Old 11-24-21, 06:30 PM   #8
Skybird
Soaring

Also want to say that when I launched the game for the first time, the old famous all-too-familiar classical MicroProse logo appeared. It somehow touched something inside me, a memory, a feeling, a longing for times long ago. It was an unexpected emotional reaction it triggered just to see this black screen with the red MP logo. Are those times really this long ago right now? Time is fleeting.

Another good one: