SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-14-21, 07:52 PM   #1
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Default HMS Barham Explodes (color footage)

Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-21, 07:30 AM   #2
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 3

Tried to recreate this in SH5 once but couldn't get ammunition to explode at right time

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=240613
kapuhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-21, 05:51 PM   #3
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130
Uploads: 0

Years ago, I did effects for the Atomic bomb drops.
That rig was brought to it's knees and would CTD!

Even tried the Volcano eruption in Italy for SH3 once.
Again CTD on that rig.

A new ammo effect and zone would get the effect but at what cost?
Old 11-16-21, 02:40 PM   #4
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
Years ago, I did effects for the Atomic bomb drops.
That rig was brought to it's knees and would CTD!

Even tried the Volcano eruption in Italy for SH3 once.
Again CTD on that rig.

A new ammo effect and zone would get the effect but at what cost?
An ancient prophecy says that one day a gaming rig will appear that will be able to run atomic bomb explosion in SH3 in 60 fps. No one knows when this will happen though

As far as effects go, thing I'd like to see (or make, if I will find time to learn editing fx someday) in SH5 is steam effects: first, venting steam from damaged boiler room and then, if boiler zone is destroyed (or gets a critical hit perhaps) a steam explosion. This should be doable, and would add a lot if correctly implemented.
Old 11-16-21, 03:11 PM   #5
Mister_M
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapuhy View Post
An ancient prophecy says that one day a gaming rig will appear that will be able to run atomic bomb explosion in SH3 in 60 fps. No one knows when this will happen though

As far as effects go, thing I'd like to see (or make, if I will find time to learn editing fx someday) in SH5 is steam effects: first, venting steam from damaged boiler room and then, if boiler zone is destroyed (or gets a critical hit perhaps) a steam explosion. This should be doable, and would add a lot if correctly implemented.
Why does a boiler explode ? Wasn't it an ammunition room which exploded while Barham was capsizing ?
Mister_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-21, 04:56 PM   #6
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_M View Post
Why does a boiler explode ? Wasn't it an ammunition room which exploded while Barham was capsizing ?
Yeah, went a bit off topic there, sorry. On Barham it was ammunition explosion. I mentioned steam venting/explosion in general as an effect that is lacking in SH5 and I'd love to see it added. As to why boilers explode, from Wikipedia:

"Boiler explosions are common in sinking ships once the superheated boiler touches cold sea water, as the sudden cooling of the superheated metal causes it to crack"

As for venting, it occured when boiler room was flooding and crew knew it might soon explode - they vented steam from boilers to reduce pressure and avoid explosion. Some U-Boat KTB's I've read mentioned when venting steam by torpedoed ship was observed through periscope, as this was a sign flooding inside is severe. If the effect was added to game, it could be similarly used to estimate damage done to target.

Last edited by kapuhy; 11-16-21 at 05:09 PM.
Old 11-17-21, 05:00 AM   #7
Mister_M
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapuhy View Post
Yeah, went a bit off topic there, sorry. On Barham it was ammunition explosion. I mentioned steam venting/explosion in general as an effect that is lacking in SH5 and I'd love to see it added. As to why boilers explode, from Wikipedia:

"Boiler explosions are common in sinking ships once the superheated boiler touches cold sea water, as the sudden cooling of the superheated metal causes it to crack"

As for venting, it occured when boiler room was flooding and crew knew it might soon explode - they vented steam from boilers to reduce pressure and avoid explosion. Some U-Boat KTB's I've read mentioned when venting steam by torpedoed ship was observed through periscope, as this was a sign flooding inside is severe. If the effect was added to game, it could be similarly used to estimate damage done to target.
Very interesting read !

Probably they vented steam throw the ship's funnel, or a pipe along the funnel ? This reminds me the film "Titanic" of James Cameron.

Last edited by Mister_M; 11-17-21 at 05:16 AM.
Mister_M is offline   Reply With Quote