SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-15-21, 07:48 PM   #1
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Default Increase damage control/repair times

How does one increase repair times for player sub? Things just get repaired way too fast. I've increased flooding times for compartments in subs, so it will balance out.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-21, 09:38 PM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
How does one increase repair times for player sub? Things just get repaired way too fast. I've increased flooding times for compartments in subs, so it will balance out.
  1. disable Special Abilities. not sure how to do this. maybe set all of their values to zero. or set them to negatives so that the highly skilled guys work against everyone else to repair things. (sorry, it was low hanging fruit)
  2. lower your crew skill levels in Quals and Ranks files as well as ActiveUsers.upc.
  3. keep more unrated seamen vs petty officers, which is more or less the corollary of number 1. don't promote anyone.
  4. keep section leaders with low leadership skill.

keep in mind that performance on the job and repair are proportional. if your crew can't repair things very well, they will not perform their ordinary duties very well. we have a term for that type in the Navy and it is not a very nice label. use your imagination because if i type it here, Neal will ban me

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-21, 12:04 AM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

I thought it was these guys, in each compartment, or piece of gear:

;DamageDescription1= Taken_DamageType, MinDamage, MaxDamage, MinMaintenance, MaxMaintenance, chancefactor, Message, Spawned_damage_HP, Spawned_damage_AP, Spawned_Damage_Type, EfficiencyReduction, repair_skill, repairtime_in_hours
DamageDescription1= NULL, 0, 0.2, 0, 1, 1, small malfunction, 0, 0, NULL, 0.3, 0.4, 4
DamageDescription2= NULL, 0.2, 0.6, 0, 1, 1, Misaligned Axis, 0, 0, NULL, 0.5, 0.4, 10
DamageDescription3= NULL, 0.6, 1, 0, 1, 1, Broken Axle, 0, 0, NULL, 1, 0.6, 15

Reading left to right, with the last number on each line being the time it takes for that particular damage to be repaired... ?? All the other stuff is multipiers, or "equation enhancers"...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-21, 12:08 PM   #4
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I thought it was these guys, in each compartment, or piece of gear:

;DamageDescription1= Taken_DamageType, MinDamage, MaxDamage, MinMaintenance, MaxMaintenance, chancefactor, Message, Spawned_damage_HP, Spawned_damage_AP, Spawned_Damage_Type, EfficiencyReduction, repair_skill, repairtime_in_hours
DamageDescription1= NULL, 0, 0.2, 0, 1, 1, small malfunction, 0, 0, NULL, 0.3, 0.4, 4
DamageDescription2= NULL, 0.2, 0.6, 0, 1, 1, Misaligned Axis, 0, 0, NULL, 0.5, 0.4, 10
DamageDescription3= NULL, 0.6, 1, 0, 1, 1, Broken Axle, 0, 0, NULL, 1, 0.6, 15

Reading left to right, with the last number on each line being the time it takes for that particular damage to be repaired... ?? All the other stuff is multipiers, or "equation enhancers"...
i forgot about this...probably because i have attempted to "fix" this feature many times and it is not only complex but exhaustive.
and i have put it aside for the time being.
i tried to change these factors in the submarine.upc modeling, pre-build stage, however there is another process that takes place at the time you "build" your boat and it complicates matters.

LAA enabled
Old 11-16-21, 01:24 PM   #5
propbeanie

Like most aspects of "documentation" in the game, it is not complete, and is rather cryptic - sort of like "documenting" code. It might help if you know what each "variable" does, but if you know that, you don't need the documentation...
"Eet's uh Catch-uh twenty-two-uh"

Code:
Use a spreadsheet and lay them out:
Taken_DamageType, MinDamage, MaxDamage, MinMaintenance,
... NULL ............ 0 ....... 0.2 .......... 0

MaxMaintenance, chancefactor, Message, Spawned_damage_HP,
...... 1 ......... 1 .... small malfunction .... 0,

Spawned_damage_AP, Spawned_Damage_Type, EfficiencyReduction,
....... 0 ............. NULL ................ 0.3 

repair_skill, repairtime_in_hours
 ... 0.4 ........... 4
It sure would be nice to have an equal-spacing font and formatting... I finally gave up. If it's legible, fine. If not, oh well...
- but each entry needs that, or else don't get lost in the data, like some other sufferer of "oldmanitis" I know...

propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-21, 08:27 PM   #6
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
i went digging in my notes and came up with this. this is part of a document that i created from posts and personal experience...quite a while ago. but it is still an excellent reference if i do say so.
so, combine this with PB's description table and your own personal goals and you should be where you want to be.

Damage
If you want to reduce damage to a compartment, you will need to adjust the Min and Max, the Efficiency Reduction, and the Repair time for each Damage Description. Yes, the task will be fatiguing. I attempted to do this for a whole boat once by eliminating DamageDescriptions 4 through 10. I kept getting CTD's after the first mission and gave up. But I was encountering a lot of CTD's and so it is difficult to say what the root cause was.

I must also point out that another critical part is the Pressure Hull for each Compartment. Those entries appear later in the Boat.upcge file as EquipmentSlots. However, they do not have DamageDescriptions there BUT they do once you create the Uboat in the game and inspect the ActiveUserSaveFile.UPC, which is the file that a Kaleun has to live with.
I do not know how the DamageDescriptions are generated.

So….that is most of what I know about damage. Anything additional has been lost to the ages.

Repair
This is what I know about repair.
The skills listed with each crewman, NCO, and officer determine their value to not only operate the boat but also to repair the parts that are damaged. If a player uses the Special Abilities feature and some of his crew have Special Abilities awarded to them, then during a mission, those crewman will the appropriate skills enhanced to a higher value than he has. For example, if I am in the Deck Watch crew with a Watch Skill = 80 and I am awarded the Special Ability associated with Watchmen, my Watch Skill during a mission will be much, much higher than 80. That multiplicative value is only applied during the mission.

For repair purposes the only skills that really matter are Leadership, Mechanical, and Electrical. Crew with high leadership skill in Leader billets will inspire their crews to work better. Crew with higher skill values in Mechanical and Electrical will repair damage faster.

There are two Special Abilities that really, really make a positive difference in repair. They are Master Engineer and Ability-Active-Quick-Repair or Repairman. Those two designations will greatly enhance their ability to fix things, as long as they are not destroyed. Contrary to documentation, they cannot fix things that are destroyed. I have never seen it.

LAA enabled
Old 11-16-21, 10:06 PM   #7
propbeanie

Kuhl.