SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > Crash Dive & Crash Dive II
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-27-19, 03:28 PM   #31
PanicEnsues
Dev Team

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by swellfella View Post
Ya kiddin' me! Did that just fly by in passing...You do that? 1 dev? TGC is in my estimation one of the classic underrated mobile Air-sim shooters...
Hey, thanks! There seems to be very little cross-over between CD and TGC players, so it's very cool to see someone on this forum who has played both!

-Scott
Old 02-14-20, 02:40 AM   #32
Rya989
Nub

Downloads: 44
Default Crash Dive 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanicEnsues View Post
Greetings SubSimmers!

For the past few months I've been working on a sequel to Crash Dive (something I've been wanting to do for years).

It will still be WWII, but this time in the South Pacific, with the player in command of a U.S. Navy Gato-class submarine. The core gameplay will be very similar to Crash Dive, but with significant improvements.

Below is a partial wish-list of new/upgraded features; some of these are done, some are in progress, and some I have no idea how to accomplish yet:
  • Crew management/assignment
  • Story/campaign mode
  • Detailed damage control
  • O2
  • SJ Radar
  • Land masses
  • Ocean floor/bottoming
  • Ships/sub can run aground
  • Armed cargo ships
  • Enemy torpedoes
  • Enemy aircraft
  • More realistic ship movement
  • Better enemy AI
  • Better ship-to-ship collisions
  • Notification history
  • Weather (clouds, fog, rain, lightning)
  • Time of day (sun/moon cycle)
  • Crew spotting when surfaced
  • Navigational waypoints
  • Upgrading of sub (tech tree)

If you have suggestions/additions/feedback on this list, sound off and let me know! I'm also going to have questions that this community is uniquely suited to answer, so I'll be posting those in this forum.

Thanks!

-Scott
Sounds great as first game was very playable and had lots of nice touches such as the missions and reallife photos to empathsise the atmosphere. There are numerous games that get the basics down with varying degrees of success, but where nearly all if not all single player submarine games fail is the feeling that your crew are actually real people who are sharing the campaign / boat with you. Silent Hunter 5 did have some very nice touches in this regard and I haven't played Uboat to see how that handles this aspect of things. If you could have a development of your original title but capture that feeling of not being alone onboard with drones and command back at base actually knows your there and communicates rather than just issuing the mission and odd report, you could have a real winner that attracts a wider market. Who wouldn't want that feeling of being part of a crew working together through victories and the hard times.
Also building in the engine room and torpedo bays and the ability to interact - how long before repairs will be done ? For example or patching up damaged battery wiring, could also add to the atmosphere greatly. Main thing is to keep the playability the first one had but draw you in more, in my opinion. Good luck regardless, will follow progress.
Rya989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-20, 12:47 PM   #33
PanicEnsues
Dev Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rya989 View Post
...where nearly all if not all single player submarine games fail is the feeling that your crew are actually real people who are sharing the campaign / boat with you.
Great feedback, thank you! In Crash Dive 2, each of your 50 crewmen has a rank, name, age, and city/state where they're from. They have specific and general skills, and can improve those skills over time. They can be injured, knocked unconscious, or killed.

But how attached the player gets to the crew is completely up to you; You can completely ignore them and let the XO (AKA the AI) handle all crew assignments, or you can micro-manage where each man is assigned to and for how long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rya989 View Post
Also building in the engine room and torpedo bays and the ability to interact - how long before repairs will be done ?
CD2 has a much more detailed damage control screen, where you can monitor each compartment's flooding, damage, and crew state. Just like with crew management, it's down to each player's preference how much you want to manually manage the repairs; you could specify exact orders for the repair crew, or just let the XO handle it.

Here is a screenshot of the current state of the Damage/Crew management screen:

Old 03-11-20, 10:25 AM   #34
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

Rya989!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-20, 05:02 PM   #35
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > rya989
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
SH3 – 4 - 5 Tutorials > Downloads > Other Useful Information > See Links in My Signature Below
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-20, 03:41 PM   #36
DaveyJ576
Officer

Downloads: 20

Default Looking forward to it

I am eagerly awaiting this game. I have been having withdrawals from playing SHIV on my old Vista computer and I would like to play again. SHIV crashed again (hard this time) and I don't have the patience to mess around with it any more.

I have been away for a while, but I was once regarded on these forums as something akin to a technical expert on USN fleet boats so if you have a question ask away!
DaveyJ576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-20, 02:32 PM   #37
Sonarman
The Old Man

Downloads: 79

The damage/ crew management will be a great addition, I’d suggest making your screens dark theme rather than light though( as many subsimmers play in darkened rooms to heighten the atmosphere and switching to a blinding white screen will be hard on their night vision, perhaps put a vignetted red filter over the screen during night hours etc. Looking forward to grabbing this on release
Old 09-27-20, 03:46 PM   #38
PanicEnsues
Dev Team

Thanks, that's a great suggestion on the dark theme for the management screens, I'll look into adding it.
Old 09-29-20, 04:28 PM   #39
PanicEnsues
Dev Team

Per Sonarman's great suggestion, there is now a "Night Mode" where you can invert all menus/UIs for preserving your night vision:

-Scott
Old 10-06-20, 08:13 AM   #40
Sonarman
The Old Man

Downloads: 79

Wow, thanks for doing that Scott, looks great, cant wait for this to get released.
Old 11-12-20, 04:06 PM   #41
UnderWaterGamer
Mate

Uploads: 2
radar

Hello Scott,

I unfortunantly (mainly for me!) can't join the Beta as I don't think I can fully commit to testing. But seeing has the Beta has come about, might we be expecting a gameplay reveal soon

Also I am not sure what is your approach to the tech tree of the game. What I mean is do you mean more "realistic" features from the original ? such as mainly the War Time modifications (coning towers, AA, deck guns, radars, new engines and other). And also a historical campaign with big events being noticable (the different island campaigns, carrier mouvements, Task Forces, etc.).

Anyway still looking forward to an awesome sequel !

Cheers

UWG
Old 11-12-20, 11:05 PM   #42
PanicEnsues
Dev Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderWaterGamer View Post
Hello Scott,
might we be expecting a gameplay reveal soon
Per my own schedule, I was supposed to start recording videos about two weeks ago, but I keep finding other things I'd rather work on instead. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Also I am not sure what is your approach to the tech tree of the game. What I mean is do you mean more "realistic" features from the original ? such as mainly the War Time modifications (coning towers, AA, deck guns, radars, new engines and other).
Basically, you start with a bare-bones late-1941 Gato, and can gradually use the tech tree to upgrade it to the level of an end-of-war Balao. I tried to keep the upgrades as realistic as possible; or at make them seem realistic, even if I have to play with their numbers behind the scenes.

I don't currently limit the upgrades by date; once you have the budget and any prerequisites, you can purchase upgrades at any time through the campaign regardless of when they were actually introduced. I have a low-priority task to add that at some point in the future, but I don't know if it will actually happen (that's a very long list).

Quote:
And also a historical campaign with big events being noticable (the different island campaigns, carrier mouvements, Task Forces, etc.).
The campaign is a sequence of 10 war patrols that take place during specific dates throughout the war. They are connected to historical events through:
1) The briefing/mission orders before each patrol;
2) The patrol area being realistic to where U.S. subs were assigned at that time;
3) FOX radio updates from Pearl Harbor of major events that occur, when they occur.

As of now, I don't try to create e.g. actual enemy ships/convoys at the place where they really were at a particular time. Wading into an ongoing battle is also not an option because I don't have any Allied ships/planes in the game; I always remove the possibility of friendly-fire kills in my games because those just suck all the fun out.

Hope that answers your questions! Once I can peel myself away from bug fixes and feature additions, I'll start posting video links here.

-Scott
Old 11-14-20, 04:51 AM   #43
UnderWaterGamer
Mate

Uploads: 2

Thanks for your reply Scott, here are some suggestions on your current system just some realism I guess

Quote:
Basically, you start with a bare-bones late-1941 Gato, and can gradually use the tech tree to upgrade it to the level of an end-of-war Balao. I tried to keep the upgrades as realistic as possible; or at make them seem realistic, even if I have to play with their numbers behind the scenes.
Totally understandable, when you get to that realism peek you'd have to start thinking about simulating the ATOMS of an object !

Quote:
I don't currently limit the upgrades by date; once you have the budget and any prerequisites, you can purchase upgrades at any time through the campaign regardless of when they were actually introduced.
Alright, I would just suggest a Silent Hunter I approach to the tech tree, here is what I mean:
It would introduce tech tree branches (e.g. SD radar, than cut down conning towers) in a "historical order". But it can simply be after each patrol.
So, you would start with a bare bone Gato: 3inch gun, no radar, bulky conning tower, and a deck mounted 50. cal. After your first patrol BurOrd would give you access to the SD air search branch, then after patrol 2 (mid 1942), BurOrd would give you access to AA arsenal (20mm), then conning towers, than deck guns, etc.

You could buy any of the upgrades in this tech tree branch at any time, you would just have to unlock it first

Quote:
I have a low-priority task to add that at some point in the future, but I don't know if it will actually happen (that's a very long list).
Oh yes that was just an example list !

Quote:
The campaign is a sequence of 10 war patrols that take place during specific dates throughout the war. They are connected to historical events through:
1) The briefing/mission orders before each patrol;
2) The patrol area being realistic to where U.S. subs were assigned at that time;
3) FOX radio updates from Pearl Harbor of major events that occur, when they occur.

As of now, I don't try to create e.g. actual enemy ships/convoys at the place where they really were at a particular time. Wading into an ongoing battle is also not an option because I don't have any Allied ships/planes in the game; I always remove the possibility of friendly-fire kills in my games because those just suck all the fun out.
Yes, just your silent Pacific hunter Gato ! Only 3 or 4 wolfpacks were ever formed anyway, the radio messages is a good idea too. Tanker convoys and port raids would be a nice + to have as mission options

Quote:
Hope that answers your questions! Once I can peel myself away from bug fixes and feature additions, I'll start posting video links here.
Yes please !

Good luck with the Game

UWG

Last edited by UnderWaterGamer; 11-15-20 at 06:46 AM.
UnderWaterGamer is offline   Reply With Quote