SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Submarine Scale Models: Subs, Naval, Tanks, Planes, Trains, Space & Other
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-20-23, 10:35 PM   #1
artao
Officer

Downloads: 144
Uploads: 0
Default Returning to the Hobby

As a teen, around 35 yrs ago, I was rather into building model WW2 airplanes. I've fondly looked back at it over the years, but never picked it back up.
When Spaceship One went up and was broadcast live by Estes, I got back into model rocketry in a pretty big way. That hobby faded down over the years as my work table piled up with more and more stuff.
Well, I recently got that cleaned off and usable and am back at building model rockets. I have several in progress. I've decided to focus on scale models of sounding rockets and other non-military space vehicles. Including designing my own models.
In turn, scale modeling has triggered my fondness for the old plastic models NOT built to actually fly. And I recently bought an airbrush for painting my rockets. And decal paper. ..

So I went and bought an MPC Space: 1999 Hawk Mk IX. 1/78 version. Tho I WILL be getting the 1/48 too.
Once I finish that (Or before, we'll see. You know how it is eh.) I'll pick up an Eagle or two and another Hawk or two and set up little dogfight dioramas hanging from my ceiling from a fishing-line-grid.
Then moar spaceships and airplanes. And MOST DEFINITELY submarines and other naval assets .. If I can find inexpensive ones. I'm on the low end of poverty so I can't really afford the 150+ usd models so often. Got my eye on a nice Vostok which is around 150usd too.

With the plastic models there'll be plenty of war machines. I just don't want to be launching "replica weapons" and have the cops called on me. Which just happens sometimes with model rocketry anyhow LOL.

Anyhow. That's my story and I'm stickin to it.

artao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-23, 11:25 PM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

artao! after a long 'silent run'!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-23, 11:26 PM   #3
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-23, 04:24 AM   #4
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 56

For some plastic kits, check these folks out:

http://www.mikro-mir.com/en/

Mikro-Mir kits usually don't break the bank, you'll have to put some work into cleaning, reshaping, and fitting some parts but that's what we had to do back in the good old days.

You can usually find them for sale on Amazon and EBay.

ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-23, 09:41 AM   #5
kateSZ
Nub

Downloads: 0

It's great to hear that Mikro-Mir kits are affordable and provide a nostalgic building experience. It's true that many model kits, especially older ones, require some extra work to achieve a perfect fit and finish. However, with the right tools and techniques, it can be a rewarding and enjoyable process to bring a model to life. Happy modeling!
kateSZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-23, 03:26 PM   #6
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

kateSJ!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-23, 09:55 PM   #7
fireftr18
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77

Welcome!!

Try this site. There are many good quality kits at reasonable prices. Two examples are Eduard, Trumpeter, and Tamiya.

https://www.scalehobbyist.com/?fbcli...WqrN3T0tiF9Frk