SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Special Projects > Subsim Events & Activities
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-23-08, 02:36 AM   #1
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Earliest Subsim forum member - you? Prove it!

The Subsim Radio Room forums began in ~1998-99, with a Matt's CGI script forum. Unfortunately, all those threads are gone.

Then we switched to a hosted forum, EZBoard. Sniff, them's all gone, too. Edit: the posts are gone but the Wayback Machine still lists the threads and forums here.

And around 2002 I got bold and setup a phpBB 1.4.4 forum, and we have most of the threads and discussions from then until now, progressing through phpBB 2.19 and the current vBulletin premier software.

Members come and go, but there are some who still post regularly here. Bill Nichols, John Channing, EAST, Deamon, XabbaRus, kilorocky, and others come to mind.

My challenge to you: if you have been posting here since way back, search the archives and post a link to your earliest post. If you want to claim time from the Matt's Script/EZBoard era. make a claim and post some recollections from that time, what you remember discussing, with whom, and what was the big deal at that time. Post your memories, claims, and flat out lies here.

The winner will receive a Subsim Ping Prize, which you can brag about or sell on ebay and then retire.

Good hunting!
Neal

Last edited by Onkel Neal; 08-07-09 at 03:11 PM.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-08, 07:23 AM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens
Post your memories, claims, and flat out lies here.
I taught Neal everything he knows, and I helped set up the original forum. I also helped set up the Cavalla museum, where I was most useful because I actually served on that submarine during the First World War. I jumped ship in Vietnam to lead the first airborne in the attack on Suk Muk Dik, but was back on board in time to help negotiate the Paris peace talks. Most recently I helped put out the great Subsim fire, for which I was awarded the Blessed Ugly Lady's Loving Safety and Health In Texas medal.

When people talk about me, they talk about my way with women, my straight shootin', my scintillating conversation and rousing wit, not to mention my muscular body and heroic chiseled jaw; but mostly they speak of my overwhelming modesty.

As well they should.
Old 08-23-08, 07:33 AM   #3
Koondawg
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I drove the horse and buggy, which by a miracle, made it through the snow, uphill both ways, against the earths rotation, to deliver the coffee can and string internet to Neals shack...

PS: The date it shows me joining got FUBAR'd when the Subsim fire Steve so bravely fought to put out...
Koondawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-08, 07:36 AM   #4
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve
When people talk about me, they talk about my way with women
Whens the book coming out?

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-08, 07:48 AM   #5
Koondawg
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 0

Quote:
short story....still in publication :rotfl:
Koondawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-08, 09:01 AM   #6
Letum
Navy Seal

Downloads: 43

I remember when all this was just fields.

Old 08-23-08, 09:19 AM   #7
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

I remember my first post here

I was in a discussion with Cornelius Jacobszoon Drebbel. We used to call him CJ. His screen name was Cornyzoom. We were discussing the designs of Willy Bourne (screen name StrokerSub)

I remember it well as our discussion was derailed by John Wilkins who went by the screen name Bishop.

Gosh it seemed like only yesterday.
Old 08-23-08, 10:18 AM   #8
Biggles
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 5

I'm a real greenhorn....

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...ht=Harbor+raid

My very first post is on page three of that thread....
Old 08-23-08, 12:19 PM   #9
Chad
ACE

Downloads: 60

I searched the archives for awhile, and I found the earliest post i could find, and it was on my old nickname U-421.. The nickname i used for the WPL also.

http://www.subsim.com/phpBB_archive1...ic.php?t=19671

Obviously based on how i was talking, it seems like it goes further back. I was a member of WPL clear back around July 2001, a bit before SH2 was initially released.
Old 08-23-08, 12:51 PM   #10
Spoon 11th
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 10

I'm not the oldest member, but here's my oldest post that is still available:

http://www.subsim.com/phpBB_2002/vie...opic=7&forum=9

Anybody remember the gorilla picture I made? It had the 11th flotilla emblem tattooed to it's shoulder. EZBoard era I presume. Spring/summer 2001 while waiting for SH2.
Spoon 11th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-08, 01:09 PM   #11
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

I'm certainly not the oldest member as I joined in 2005. I did nothing but lurk or was busy playing IL2 and did not hang here much. Then, low and behold in 2006, I start a thread and poll that would probably get locked in a New York minute these days:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=99093

:rotfl:
Old 08-23-08, 01:18 PM   #12
Syxx_Killer
Admiral

Downloads: 21

I guess when I look at my profile and view all my posts, they don't go as far back as when I joined. I joined back in 2003 (I can't believe it has been that long!). I had lurked around a bit before that when I got Jane's 688i Hunter-Killer. I remember downloading a patch for it off Subsim. Anywho, what got me to sign up and register was a contest for Dangerous Waters or SH3 I believe. I don't remember which sim it was (or maybe Sub Command). All I had to do was post in the thread to be entered for a chance to win the game and I think the devs would sign it. I probably got the contest bit all wrong by now, but that is the gist of it.
Syxx_Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-08, 02:39 PM   #13
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koondawg
Quote:
short story....still in publication :rotfl:
:rotfl:

How well they know me. But the true, inspiring and and heavily edited version is set to be started as soon as my ghostwriter, the legendary novelist Johann Sebastian (Brag for short) Balz can find the time to get away from selling his equally legendary tea cozy collection on Ebay.
Old 08-23-08, 03:22 PM   #14
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

I found subsim pre- SH2 days, but under a different user name. I couldn't find myself in there. I was the first one to post about problems with the AI for the destroyers in SH2.

The old E:rt posts are funny to read. All of the promised features (flyable aircraft, land, etc; then there's multiplayer ) I think every 3 months there's a post that multiplayer is "almost" ready:rotfl: .
Old 08-23-08, 04:15 PM   #15
Blacklight
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 142

I wasn't signed up back then so I didn't post, but I read the boards regularly. It's wierd because I remember reading a lot of those posts about 688i HK.

Another wonderful thing I discovered in that archive is links to two 688i HK sites that are actually still up and have downloads. I've been pretty much unable to find downloads for 688i anywhere !

Here is a link for custom scenarios. There's a bunch there that aren't posted in the download area of Subsim:
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconVall...8missions.html

Also, since 688i has a hard time running right with more than a certain ammount of scenarios in it's scenario folder, here's a link to a utility to manage them that is still up :
http://www.lrim.com/scmgmt/help/toc.html

I'd love to get my hands on more of those old missions ! I recall Seawolves back then had hundreds (Which I had and then lost the floppies they were on)

I also remember reading this thread and having a bit of a laugh:
http://www.subsim.com/phpBB_2002/vie...314&forum=9&43