SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Special Projects > Subsim Events & Activities
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-27-17, 08:25 AM   #91
granger44
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 17
Uploads: 0

In early 1997 I was a junior in college. I was living off campus for the first time with 4 of the 5 guys I'd lived with sophmore year. The house had super leaky windows that we used cardboard and plywood to cover the windows during the winter so we didn't lose our shirts paying for heat. I was also playing lots of Battletech (both Mechwarrior 2 and Battletech MUSE games), Duke Nuke'em, and Doom 2.

Fast-forward to the start of senior year at the end of 1997 and living behind a local Chinese restaurant and a grocery store. If I wasn't having Chinese food for dinner, I was walking back with a frozen pizza or a TV dinner from the store. Had another group of friends who lived together and I'd go over there to party and play Mario Kart (Rainbow Road is so much better when you've had some alcohol). PC game wise, I was playing lots of Dark Reign and Total Annihilation. Those two spoiled me for other RTS games, that it wasn't until Company of Heroes that I'd enjoy another RTS.
granger44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-17, 08:45 AM   #92
Evans1492
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 5
Default Happy Happy 20th

Let's see... back in '97 I made the crazy choice to leave the military on July 10th. Had hopes of living the life of greener pastures and white picket fences with my girl. But turns out she was wanted by the cops.

So I signed up to do security work and the rest is history.
Evans1492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-17, 09:00 AM   #93
Cy-Fox
SUBSIM Mod (CW+Discord)

Downloads: 110

1997 we still had the same 486 that my parents bought in 1992 or 1993. However this seven-year old was happy with spending time playing 688 Attack Sub and PT-109 until he found a copy of Seawolf at a thrift store. Wouldn't be until that 486 got switched for a Pentium MMX in 2002 that he'd discover Jane's 688i or the like :P

Cy-Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-17, 09:09 AM   #94
Dominatus
Swabbie

Downloads: 32

Hmmm, "blows dust off ship's journals"...

Back in '97 I was still a limey living & working in Detroit. My liver was a lot younger, and was taking some good abuse from the local grog. Life seemed a lot simpler, even if more chaotic. There was certainly more to do over there anyway compared to my current station back in old Blighty

Subsim, happy birthday. One of the best forums on the internet, filled with the best community on the internet. Long may it continue!
Old 01-27-17, 09:38 AM   #95
charlesb6462
cjbutts

Downloads: 275

Happy 20th Birthday SUBSIM this is also my Birthday month and I am now 66 Years old...in 1997 I was teaching for the National Camp School; Southern Region of the Boy Scout s of America; in beautiful Camp Durant located outside of Carthage, NC ( not to be confused with Carthage, TT where there is also a Boy Scout Camp). It was at that meeting I met a gentleman by the name of Carl McLawhorn who was the Camping Chairman for the Occoneechee Council in Raleigh, NC. this developed into a life long friendship....he gave me my first "supped-up" computer and installed Silent Service on it. Needless to say I was hooked....I love these Submarine simulation games and wish there were more..... Again God Bless...and Happy 20th Birthday...SUBSIM!!!

Jerry Butts "the Black Eagle"
charlesb6462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-17, 09:49 AM   #96
Red Devil
The Old Man

Downloads: 258

1997. 3 years out of the Army, after 17 years, and doing a job I swore I would never do - Security. But I enjoyed it so much, I eventually retired after 20+ years in Security !!!! Not just a job, I had to qualify with loads of courses. And a Government licence. Joined this forum originally not long after buying SH3 and still commanding in SH4. I must have about 60 million tons sunk, in total !! The japs dont know what hit them!

Neil has been a fabulous forum boss, as I run my own Regiment one for ex soldiers, I know how damned awkward it can be sometimes, and HARD WORK.
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Red Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-17, 10:05 AM   #97
codefool
Nub

Downloads: 1
Default Way back in 1997...

The first half of the year was preparing for my second wedding. The second half of the year was spent celebrating my second wedding <wink-wink><gnudge-gnudge>
codefool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-17, 10:09 AM   #98
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Granger44! & Evans1492! & Cyberange!l and Gunther!THEWISON! + Andurilmat!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evans
So I signed up to do security work and the rest is history
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil
after 17 years, and doing a job I swore I would never do - Security. But I enjoyed it so much, I eventually retired after 20+ years in Security !!!!
Geeze! '97! I was doing something in security too....I think...but even with my Aricept prescription I can't recall what!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 01-27-17 at 09:27 PM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-17, 10:13 AM   #99
AllenZ1Sgt
Watch

Downloads: 454

Just retired from US Air force after 25 years of moving here, there, and everywhere, wife and I bought our first house (instead of quarters or renting!). Finally enough room for computer room and free time to use it!

Happy birthday Subsim!
AllenZ1Sgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-17, 10:17 AM   #100
Underbank
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 24
Default Sometime in '97

I remember watching the news to see if Hong Kong changed quickly after the British lease ran out. It was becoming easier to find news from the internet, but not finding a rational explanation as to why people believed they could hitchhike on a comet didn't surprise me.

Underbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-17, 10:26 AM   #101
Icewarp
Swabbie

Downloads: 6

Uow, it's been quite a while...
In 1997 I was at high school, enjoying life with much less responsibility than today (Maybe...). I wasn't into subsim games yet, because I remember I spent a lot of time playing Duke Nuken 3D lol.

Cool times. Happy birthday!
Old 01-27-17, 10:27 AM   #102
Chromatix
Watch

Downloads: 11

I had just moved from school to college, where I first got access to the Internet for real. It really was early days back then.

I was so far ahead in my programming courses that I spent most of my time downloading files to floppy disks (to take home) and occasionally answering questions posed by the teacher, after a suitable period of baffled silence from the rest of the class. There's a world of difference between trying to learn programming by taking a class on it, and learning programming by practical means before taking a class just to get a certificate on what you already know. That was my first experience of people doing the former rather than the latter.

At the time, I had no idea about subsims. I didn't even have a PC! I did have a growing collection of Macs...
Old 01-27-17, 10:28 AM   #103
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

I was a junior in high school. I had just run my fastest mile ever (5 min 29 sec). I'm trying to get back there, but probably never will!

I hadn't played a sub sim since Silent Service on the NES. SH3 was a few years away yet.

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
mookiemookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-17, 10:39 AM   #104
rHagen12
Swabbie

Downloads: 29

Living in Northern California – Visited the Pampanito. Moved to Northern Illinois 1998 and visited the U-505.
Playing Silent Hunter I and 688(I) on Pentium II and Win95
Wrote my last ObjectPAL application…yeah!
IBMs Deep Blue computer defeats world champion chess player Garry Kasparov

Happy Birthday SubSim
rHagen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-17, 10:45 AM   #105
corporalspiffy
Gunner

Downloads: 177

i turned 34 20 yrs ago. i used to go hiking, climbing and caving back then. time sure flies. life is good. life hasn't begun.

happy birthday subsim. thanks for the mods n stuff

iablshipsfornygm
3rdflotillamod
nygm_hires_subs
ahnenerbe
corporalspiffy is offline   Reply With Quote