SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Special Projects > Subsim Events & Activities
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-23-08, 02:36 AM   #1
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Earliest Subsim forum member - you? Prove it!

The Subsim Radio Room forums began in ~1998-99, with a Matt's CGI script forum. Unfortunately, all those threads are gone.

Then we switched to a hosted forum, EZBoard. Sniff, them's all gone, too. Edit: the posts are gone but the Wayback Machine still lists the threads and forums here.

And around 2002 I got bold and setup a phpBB 1.4.4 forum, and we have most of the threads and discussions from then until now, progressing through phpBB 2.19 and the current vBulletin premier software.

Members come and go, but there are some who still post regularly here. Bill Nichols, John Channing, EAST, Deamon, XabbaRus, kilorocky, and others come to mind.

My challenge to you: if you have been posting here since way back, search the archives and post a link to your earliest post. If you want to claim time from the Matt's Script/EZBoard era. make a claim and post some recollections from that time, what you remember discussing, with whom, and what was the big deal at that time. Post your memories, claims, and flat out lies here.

The winner will receive a Subsim Ping Prize, which you can brag about or sell on ebay and then retire.

Good hunting!
Neal

Last edited by Onkel Neal; 08-07-09 at 03:11 PM.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-08, 07:23 AM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens
Post your memories, claims, and flat out lies here.
I taught Neal everything he knows, and I helped set up the original forum. I also helped set up the Cavalla museum, where I was most useful because I actually served on that submarine during the First World War. I jumped ship in Vietnam to lead the first airborne in the attack on Suk Muk Dik, but was back on board in time to help negotiate the Paris peace talks. Most recently I helped put out the great Subsim fire, for which I was awarded the Blessed Ugly Lady's Loving Safety and Health In Texas medal.

When people talk about me, they talk about my way with women, my straight shootin', my scintillating conversation and rousing wit, not to mention my muscular body and heroic chiseled jaw; but mostly they speak of my overwhelming modesty.

As well they should.
Old 08-23-08, 07:33 AM   #3
Koondawg
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I drove the horse and buggy, which by a miracle, made it through the snow, uphill both ways, against the earths rotation, to deliver the coffee can and string internet to Neals shack...

PS: The date it shows me joining got FUBAR'd when the Subsim fire Steve so bravely fought to put out...
Koondawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-08, 07:36 AM   #4
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve
When people talk about me, they talk about my way with women
Whens the book coming out?

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-08, 07:48 AM   #5
Koondawg
Grey Wolf

Quote:
short story....still in publication :rotfl:
Koondawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-08, 02:39 PM   #6
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koondawg
Quote:
short story....still in publication :rotfl:
:rotfl:

How well they know me. But the true, inspiring and and heavily edited version is set to be started as soon as my ghostwriter, the legendary novelist Johann Sebastian (Brag for short) Balz can find the time to get away from selling his equally legendary tea cozy collection on Ebay.
Old 08-23-08, 03:22 PM   #7
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

I found subsim pre- SH2 days, but under a different user name. I couldn't find myself in there. I was the first one to post about problems with the AI for the destroyers in SH2.

The old E:rt posts are funny to read. All of the promised features (flyable aircraft, land, etc; then there's multiplayer ) I think every 3 months there's a post that multiplayer is "almost" ready:rotfl: .
Old 08-23-08, 06:57 PM   #8
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens
Post your memories, claims, and flat out lies here.
I taught Neal everything he knows, and I helped set up the original forum. I also helped set up the Cavalla museum, where I was most useful because I actually served on that submarine during the First World War. I jumped ship in Vietnam to lead the first airborne in the attack on Suk Muk Dik, but was back on board in time to help negotiate the Paris peace talks. Most recently I helped put out the great Subsim fire, for which I was awarded the Blessed Ugly Lady's Loving Safety and Health In Texas medal.

When people talk about me, they talk about my way with women, my straight shootin', my scintillating conversation and rousing wit, not to mention my muscular body and heroic chiseled jaw; but mostly they speak of my overwhelming modesty.

As well they should.
Man, I think we've found our press agent! :rotfl:
Old 08-23-08, 09:01 AM   #9
Letum
Navy Seal

Downloads: 43

I remember when all this was just fields.

Old 08-23-08, 09:19 AM   #10
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

I remember my first post here

I was in a discussion with Cornelius Jacobszoon Drebbel. We used to call him CJ. His screen name was Cornyzoom. We were discussing the designs of Willy Bourne (screen name StrokerSub)

I remember it well as our discussion was derailed by John Wilkins who went by the screen name Bishop.

Gosh it seemed like only yesterday.
Old 08-25-08, 06:06 PM   #11
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letum
This post wins the thread!

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-08, 11:38 PM   #12
SUBMAN1
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by August
Quote:
BS. I was the first! I've been playing sub sims since the days when graphics were done with ASCII characters! Someone one day decided that wasn't enough and made GATO with 4 colors! I was going to make a board, but Neal beat me to the punch. That is why I refused to post on his board when it first started, but I was one of the first! :p

-S

Old 08-28-08, 07:11 PM   #13
Seminole
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 102

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBMAN1
Quote:
Quote:
BS. I was the first! I've been playing sub sims since the days when graphics were done with ASCII characters! Someone one day decided that wasn't enough and made GATO with 4 colors! I was going to make a board, but Neal beat me to the punch. That is why I refused to post on his board when it first started, but I was one of the first! :p

-S

Well if that counts as "evidence" then double BS.. I've been playing subsims since I was six...I had a baking soda powered one for the bathtub...and a red and grey plastic one ,also for the bath, that actually fired spring powered torpeos...then there was the periscope that I won at the county fair and painted sub mark lines on the lens... I used that to play with when while I watched SILENT SERVICE on TV..which hadn't been invented all that long...never mind computers..that takes me back to age 6 or 7 ...then there is my hypnotist's report,if you can believe her, that I had a past life as a German submariner back in WWII...need I go on...
Old 09-27-08, 08:59 PM   #14
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBMAN1
Quote:
Quote:

-S

That's me! I used to post 3x5 cards on the fridge regarding gato and wait for people to reply to my map book I made in the 7th grade for gato.
Old 09-29-08, 04:20 PM   #15
Gorduz
Engineer

Downloads: 2

http://www.subsim.com/phpBB_2002/vie...ic=665&forum=2

My first post, though I know for sure that i joined this board before SH2 came out. My love for subgames was found as I borrowed GATO from my father and then downloaded the SH demo. A short while after I bought the SH commanders edition so I joined sometimes between that and SH2