SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-02-12, 05:51 PM   #1
themrwho
Torpedoman

Downloads: 140
Uploads: 0

Default [REL] Grandpa's Gauges for OM+OMEGU (rev1)

// Thank you CapnScurvy

Grandpa's Gauges for OM+OMEGU
(rev1)

Screenshots 1st, details below...

OM+OMEGU with Grandpa's Gauges installed (mouse inactive)

OM+OMEGU with Grandpa's Gauges installed (mouse over gauge)

for comparison purposes -- Standard OM+OMEGU Gauges (mouse inactive)

for comparison purposes -- Standard OM+OMEGU setup with Grandpa's Gauges (mouse over gauge)

DISCLAIMER
OM + OMEGU is great. I can't thank enough to lurker and all others whose work is incorporated to his mods. Once again I love OM and nothing wrong with it. Even on bigger screens it is perfectly fine. Now the only problem is with my eyesight please read the rest of this post with this point on mind...

INTRODUCTION
I have a 23" screen with 1920x1080 resolution; OM+OMEGUs standard gauges are painfully small for my taste. They are difficult to read (for me) plus it is impossible (again, it is just me) to set speed to a precise value, e.g. 8 knots, without investing several seconds to hit the correct tiny point on the gauge.

I don't like this - ideally, I would like a MUCH bigger sized gauge so that I can simply click and point - as swiftly as standard mouse point-n-click operation.

Now this mod provides just that, for 1920x1080 screens.

CREDITS
This is a derivative work. It is first and foremost an adaptation of CapnScurvy's "Magnified Hud Dials mod" to OM+OMEGU environment.

CapnScurvy's Magnified Hud Dials mod provided bigger HUD Dials for the following 3 gauges:
  • Gauge 1: Telepgraph / knotmeter
  • Gauge 2: Compass / Rudder
  • Gauge 3: Shallow Depth / Deep Depth

As explained in disclaimer section, even "magnified" gauges were not big enough for me so I magnified them even further. They are REALLY BIG now see for yourself

HOW TO INSTALL
This is JSGME compatible so the usual stuff goes. However you will notice there are two directories as listed below:
Grandpa's_Gauges_for_OM+OMEGU_(rev1).1.(main_mod)
Grandpa's_Gauges_for_OM+OMEGU_(rev1).2.(ini_file_t weak)
You need to enable both in succesion - owing to filenames they should come up in the right order, activate the minimod first, then the ini file tweak. If you don't activate ini file tweak it won't work.

NOTE - FOR OTHER SCREEN RESOLUTIONS
Quote:
Note that this is made for my personal use and tested only on my system, therefore it is for my screen resolution only.

If you wish to use this on a different screen resolution you will need to change a few values should take about 5 minutes. If anyone is interested, post below and I will be happy to assist.

NOTE - Why in 2 separate directories?
Quote:
The way this works is by modifying the "menu_1024_768.ini" file. The reason I've created a separate directory just for that one single file is, so that one can manually modify it if need be. If you use other mods you will possibly need to "mod merge" them. This way you can take the default "OMEGU_300--Patch_7" file & the modified file and compare them using WinMerge or Kdiff or some other comparison tool. This will show you what you will need incorporate into your own menu_1024_768.ini file.

A Technical Note...
Quote:
I understand there is a 'tool' (JxME?) that helps with menu_1024_768.ini issues but I just didn't want to spend the time to learn how to optimize - I just wanted to get this done and start playing
If you think this is important and want to create such a version, please send me the link and I will update this 1st post so that others can use it without manual editing hassle.

DOWNLOAD LINK
http://www.filefactory.com/file/2h2r..._OMEGU_rev1_7z

• Please feel free to repost to downloads section if you can (because I cannot).
  • File Factory is a free hosting provider. Scroll to the bottom of the page, prompts for spam protection (captcha) words, once you pass that, it displays a 30 seconds counter but eventually you should be able to download it.

themrwho is offline   Reply With Quote