SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-10-06, 07:50 AM   #16
Captain Nemo
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 54
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arno
Anyone seen Phantom Below??? According to the reviews I read so far, this one would probably go places in this rating.. :hmm:
Yep, I've seen Phantom Below, not an all time great but purely a fictional tale that has no bearing on any historical event or reality. Did you know that the film is notable in that it has several different editions, one for general audience, another with eight additional minutes for Japanese audiences and one with homosexual themes for a gay and lesbian tv channel.

Nemo
Captain Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-06, 02:43 PM   #17
Arno
Swabbie

Downloads: 0

I watched Phantom Below yesterday, and actually I thought it wasn't that bad. As Nemo stated, purely fictional, and with some pretty crappy computer generated images, but it wasnt totally unbearable...

That thing about the several versions sounds pretty funny... I read that somewhere before, but still can't believe it :hmm: although that gay thing sounds plausible regarding the lineup of actors although I fear that lesbians would be pretty disappointed... only one female actor in the movie, and as far as I am concerned, not really hot...

Came to think about a Brokeback Sub version of "Das Boot"...

I was pretty mad, though, as they never explained why that phantom sub wasn't detectable by sonar... sounds a little like the screenwriters didn't know themselves

Cheers
Arno
Arno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-06, 03:08 PM   #18
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subnuts
I wanna know how the French resistance managed to sneak Ben Affleck into Pearl Harbor! :rotfl:
Rubber ducky innertube.
Takeda Shingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-06, 03:12 PM   #19
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arno
Came to think about a Brokeback Sub version of "Das Boot"... Arno
Well, there is that one time that the medic and all of the petty officers appear to stare very intently at that seaman's genitals.
Takeda Shingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-06, 09:07 AM   #20
Bertgang
Sparky

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcantilan
Watched Under Siege like 5/6 times (but really no more than 2 times complete, in the others I stopped just after Erika Eleniak popped from the cake).
Thanks to this description, I finally understood what movie it was.
On my point of wiew, ir isn't a naval movie: just an example of action/martial arts tale, and not the worst in this category.
Bertgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-06, 12:17 AM   #21
Pax Melmacia
Watch

While on the subject of inaccuracy in naval movies, I wondered what the chances are of a torpedo hitting a submerged sub when aimed solely by WW2 technology sound location. When it happened in 'U-571' I didn't object too much - just another dingleberry in the whole pile of poop. But when it happened again in the respectable 'In Enemy Hands' it got me wondering.
Pax Melmacia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-06, 11:11 AM   #22
Sailor Steve
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I've never heard of anyone doing it in real life. I'd guess the chances are pretty slim, especially considering how many torpedoes missed when they were aimed using a periscope and the latest technology for the time.
Old 08-22-06, 01:00 PM   #23
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertgang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcantilan
Watched Under Siege like 5/6 times (but really no more than 2 times complete, in the others I stopped just after Erika Eleniak popped from the cake).
Thanks to this description, I finally understood what movie it was.
On my point of wiew, ir isn't a naval movie: just an example of action/martial arts tale, and not the worst in this category.
I'm not normally a fan of Steven Segal movies but since Under Seige was actually filmed on a real life Battleship i'm inclined to make allowances. That and Erikas bazongas...

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-06, 05:59 PM   #24
Linton
Sea Lord

Even Erika's bozangas doesnt save the Segal movie.The last time I saw that much silicon was in the desert!
Linton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-06, 01:32 AM   #25
Pax Melmacia
Watch

Quote:
I'd guess the chances are pretty slim, especially considering how many torpedoes missed when they were aimed using a periscope and the latest technology for the time.
In both movies German torpedoes were used, and we know how notoriously unreliable they were. The least they could have done was mention that they were using one of the KM"s new acoustic torpedoes.
Pax Melmacia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-06, 02:54 PM   #26
Grayback
A-ganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pax Melmacia
While on the subject of inaccuracy in naval movies, I wondered what the chances are of a torpedo hitting a submerged sub when aimed solely by WW2 technology sound location. When it happened in 'U-571' I didn't object too much - just another dingleberry in the whole pile of poop. But when it happened again in the respectable 'In Enemy Hands' it got me wondering.
"In Enemy Hands"? I'll have to check IMDb for that one. While it's probably extremely unlikely, I don't see why it's inherently impossible. Given slow submerged speed of WWII subs, and once you've factored out the target bearing, a spread of torpedoes should have a good chance of hitting something. I think Beach mentioned something like that happening in real life in his anthology "Submarine", and he made a good case for it in "Dust on the Sea".
Grayback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-06, 01:57 PM   #27
Frenssen
Sparky

Pearl Harbor - The only time in my life I considered walking out of the cinema, it was an insult to anyone with the slightest WW2 knowledge. Just awful. I was just hoping Affleck would die, but had to wait 3+ hours.

U-Boat In Enemy Hands - I can`t believe fine actors like William H. Macy and Thomas Kretschmann involved themselves with this stinker

U-571 - Haven`t seen it, never will. I fear I will throw my TV out the window, rockstar style
Frenssen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-06, 03:14 AM   #28
TarJak
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 150
Uploads: 8

Pearl Harbour. What a waste of time for all concerned! Tora! Tora! Tora! dumps on PH from a great height!
TarJak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-06, 06:08 AM   #29
DAB
Lieutenant

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve
I've never heard of anyone doing it in real life. I'd guess the chances are pretty slim, especially considering how many torpedoes missed when they were aimed using a periscope and the latest technology for the time.
It happened once, and remains the only time in History a Submarine has sunk anouther when both were submerged. Suprisingly though, there is very little on Wikipedia.

Quote:
The sinking of [U864] was unique in submarine history since both boats were submerged at the time of the attack. [HMS] Venturer detected the Uboat on her ASDIC and developed a good plot using the Type 129 ASDIC in passive mode - to transmit a ping would have given the game away. What Venturer's commanding officer, Lieutenant JS Launders, later described as 'the most shameful periscope drill' on the part of the U-boat, gave him two good sightings of the German's Periscipe. When Launders judged the moment right, he fired four Mk VIII torpedos down the bearing and was rewarded with one hit. When Venturer surfaced, Launders found oil, wooden wreckage and a large metal cylinder, later identified as the container for the Focke-Achegelis FA-330 autogyro: all that remained of U864
I somehow doubt that the depiction of a submarine on submarine submerged duel in U571 is anywhere near a realistic depiction of what happened for real
Old 11-09-06, 11:08 AM   #30
Grayback
A-ganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve
It happened once, and remains the only time in History a Submarine has sunk anouther when both were submerged. Suprisingly though, there is very little on Wikipedia.

Quote:
The sinking of [U864] was unique in submarine history since both boats were submerged at the time of the attack. [HMS] Venturer detected the Uboat on her ASDIC and developed a good plot using the Type 129 ASDIC in passive mode - to transmit a ping would have given the game away. What Venturer's commanding officer, Lieutenant JS Launders, later described as 'the most shameful periscope drill' on the part of the U-boat, gave him two good sightings of the German's Periscipe. When Launders judged the moment right, he fired four Mk VIII torpedos down the bearing and was rewarded with one hit. When Venturer surfaced, Launders found oil, wooden wreckage and a large metal cylinder, later identified as the container for the Focke-Achegelis FA-330 autogyro: all that remained of U864
I somehow doubt that the depiction of a submarine on submarine submerged duel in U571 is anywhere near a realistic depiction of what happened for real
Well in -571, the attack began while U-571 was on the surface. Using "their" sonar the Americans were able to at least figure out the other u-boat's bearing (and given the destruction of the S-boat a minutes earlier, there was no question that it was in range and a good bet that it was near the surface). The tricky part IMO was a hit on a target bow-on.
Grayback is offline   Reply With Quote