SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-20-13, 02:12 PM   #61
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

The fact is that there is not enough left of the magazine area to ascertain exactly what happened, so everything is guesswork. The "black powder" theory was proposed in a 1944 BuShips report. The explosion of the shell itself (it wasn't a 'bomb' in the proper sense) could just as easily have ignited the powder in the main magazine.

I only questioned your summation this way because you stated it so emphatically, as though it were a proven fact, when in fact it's not a fact at all.
Old 08-20-13, 02:16 PM   #62
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
...later found to be from careless powder handling and lack of flash protections.
True, but there is so much more to it than that, going back a year to Dogger Bank and forward to 1918. It's a wonderful story and a game designers nightmare.
Old 08-20-13, 07:13 PM   #63
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
The fact is that there is not enough left of the magazine area to ascertain exactly what happened, so everything is guesswork. The "black powder" theory was proposed in a 1944 BuShips report. The explosion of the shell itself (it wasn't a 'bomb' in the proper sense) could just as easily have ignited the powder in the main magazine.

I only questioned your summation this way because you stated it so emphatically, as though it were a proven fact, when in fact it's not a fact at all.
I agree with you. So I'm amazed at the google sites stating the matter with emphasis myself. I merely reiterate what they say. May even call guide at monument to check reference...

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 08-20-13 at 07:25 PM.
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-13, 07:23 PM   #64
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Quote:
True, but there is so much more to it than that, going back a year to Dogger Bank and forward to 1918. It's a wonderful story and a game designers nightmare.
AYE! but Hipper lived up to his 'VON' that day. Polished off 'Dreadnought' and 'Castles of Steel' this year to acquaint myself more with the sordid details: I mean Winston and Jackie Fisher, buggery and the lash, and bigger Elizabeth class battleships just so the poor Huns couldn't use the Kiel canal to keep up( the ships wouldn't fit) and the greatest naval victory of all, the mine at Scapa that polished off Winnie's first employer (Omdurman), Lord Kitchner. Juicy!!!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 08-20-13, 09:56 PM   #65
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

I've read several books on Jutland and the only one I actually own is Jutland: An Analysis of the Fighting, by the great John Campbell. It goes through every phase of the battle, tracking ship movements and gunnery, and describes the path of every shell fired and what damage it did. Of course that doesn't work for the ships that sank, but it's of inestimable value to the fan who likes to count rivets.

It starts with a quick analysis of Dogger Bank and delves into why the British cruiser guys started locking the flash doors open. It also goes into why the Germans started putting flash doors on their ships and why they made sure they were closing properly. It's a reference book, not a reader, but if naval battles interest you it's also a very good read.
http://www.amazon.com/Jutland-Analys...f+the+fighting
Old 08-20-13, 11:44 PM   #66
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Quote:
I've read several books on Jutland and the only one I actually own is Jutland: An Analysis of the Fighting, by the great John Campbell. It goes through every phase of the battle, tracking ship movements and gunnery, and describes the path of every shell fired and what damage it did. Of course that doesn't work for the ships that sank, but it's of inestimable value to the fan who likes to count rivets.

It starts with a quick analysis of Dogger Bank and delves into why the British cruiser guys started locking the flash doors open. It also goes into why the Germans started putting flash doors on their ships and why they made sure they were closing properly. It's a reference book, not a reader, but if naval battles interest you it's also a very good read.
http://www.amazon.com/Jutland-Analys...f+the+fighting
I'll get on that asap! THNXPSS after an exhausting night examining every aspect of the black powder theory vs the type B armor of the gun deck as opposed to another (8) bomb setting off the small fire in the admirals aft galley etc, etc.I was shocked to note that one admiral avatar for subsim admiral is, in fact, Admiral Kidd's formal portrait. He was of course the Admiral killed on the Arizona that day. Its seems there is also some conjecture as to whether the catapults use a black powder charge, if there was any black powder that day, if the black powder door was left open, and if the converted shell, with its seven second delay FUSE could have penetrated deep causing an oil fire-setting off the black powder...It is generally conceded in both theorys that the shell cannot have penetrated the turret and that the main gun 14 inch bagged ammo is VERY stable requiring a detonator which in normal practice was a black powder pad! Right up there with Richthoffen's autopsy!

Last edited by Aktungbby; 08-21-13 at 10:56 AM.