SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-24-12, 06:31 PM   #1
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115
Uploads: 0

Worst Sub movie ever created.

The Syfy movie Sea Snakes (or Silent Venom) almost made my face burn off when I watched it. Nothing about the sub was correct except that it goes underwater. Sheesh. Give it a netflix if you think u can stomach it. The sub looks like a 688, but it's a SSK!! Exact quote from movie "this baby runs pretty quiet on electric motors" and the Chinese dropped a DEPTH CHARGE!?!? One charge, somehow, bangs up a 688 SSK. Then, the Chinese shoot a torp. Well that is a disaster. Ugh. Terrible movie.
Old 05-24-12, 08:46 PM   #2
Overkill
Frogman

Downloads: 128

I've not seen that one but I did see this horrible excuse for a sub movie:

The only thing good about it was the paneling they picked out to line the inside of the sub's control room.
I left the movie theater after about 35 minutes of torture. Fortunately "Men at Work" was playing in the adjacent theater.
Old 05-24-12, 08:49 PM   #3
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Ugh. The poster even looks bad.
Old 06-01-12, 02:53 AM   #4
S-13
Swabbie

Downloads: 34

I love submarines, but I haven't seen enough of them to give an "actual worst" since I'm sure there are ones that deserve the title better to the one I'm going to name, which I'm sure alot of people liked.

With that said, I thought Hunt for Red October was pretty terrible, the whole plot about defecting was bad enough, but the idea of the newest ship in the fleet is given to a Captain who while highly decorated as the movie claims but his loyalty to his country isn't insured especially for a nuclear submarine? and rest of the crew would go along? Let alone the fact supposedly the XO of this ship would be a Political Officer?

It's a decent rambo style cold war action movie, but not my idea of a submarine movie.
S-13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-12, 09:40 AM   #5
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

This is strictly my opinion. But. YOU TAKE THAT BACK!!!!! I thought Hunt for Red October was great!! (hence, my username) I fell in love with the book!! It was the first real sub movie I had sat down to watch. I'm a die-hard Clancy fan. It might not be the MOST realistic situation, but it would make sense to give your brand new sub to the man who is the best in the fleet and who has taken out all the new subs in his career. Would you drop me in a fighter plane to protect your country when the only training I've had is flightsims? Or would you go with the Colonel with many flight decorations and kills painted on his aircraft? Just an opinion. No hard feelings S-13.
Old 06-01-12, 08:22 PM   #6
S-13
Swabbie

Downloads: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red October1984 View Post
This is strictly my opinion. But. YOU TAKE THAT BACK!!!!! I thought Hunt for Red October was great!! (hence, my username) I fell in love with the book!! It was the first real sub movie I had sat down to watch. I'm a die-hard Clancy fan. It might not be the MOST realistic situation, but it would make sense to give your brand new sub to the man who is the best in the fleet and who has taken out all the new subs in his career. Would you drop me in a fighter plane to protect your country when the only training I've had is flightsims? Or would you go with the Colonel with many flight decorations and kills painted on his aircraft? Just an opinion. No hard feelings S-13.
Non-taken, but regardless of this fantasy submarine commander that is given apparently a new submarine every time a new sub comes out of the factory, doesn't explain why a full crew would give up their families and lives, the hero in my opinion of that novel/book was the Cook.
S-13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-12, 09:34 PM   #7
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Full Fathom Five.

Hijacked Nuke sub with the target of Houston Texas?

Does the movie have a happy ending???
Old 06-01-12, 09:36 PM   #8
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-13 View Post
Non-taken, but regardless of this fantasy submarine commander that is given apparently a new submarine every time a new sub comes out of the factory, doesn't explain why a full crew would give up their families and lives, the hero in my opinion of that novel/book was the Cook.

Been a while since I saw the movie, but in the book, it was described how the Captain was handpicking and grooming key officers for this defection. So it was not a random crew deciding to defect. I am not sure the movie made that clear.
Old 06-01-12, 10:39 PM   #9
Hinrich Schwab
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 89

Quote:
Ugh. The poster even looks bad.
Oh yeah. It's horrible. Notice the Typhoon in the poster has Kirov written in Cyrillic on the side? A Kirov is a class of heavy guided missile cruiser. A complete and obvious failure to research.
Hinrich Schwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-12, 10:41 PM   #10
Hinrich Schwab
Grey Wolf

Quote:
...the hero in my opinion of that novel/book was the Cook.
Not sure if trolling...
Old 06-02-12, 03:05 PM   #11
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6

Quote:
...the Chinese dropped a DEPTH CHARGE!?!?
The Chinese Navy still uses them on their older destroyers and small combatants. Also their Russian made destroyers can deploy them using the mine laying rails.

TLAM Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-12, 10:44 PM   #12
Hinrich Schwab
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLAM Strike View Post
The Chinese Navy still uses them on their older destroyers and small combatants. Also their Russian made destroyers can deploy them using the mine laying rails.
If I am not mistaken, many smaller nations that have Soviet/Russian naval vessels and gear still have depth charge laying vessels. I remember reading somewhere that the Cuban Navy (yes, they have one. ) has patrol craft that have DCs.
Old 08-13-12, 07:22 PM   #13
flymar
Loader

Downloads: 42

Quote:
They didn't. Only officers. And the officers were chosen by Ramius. Large part of the plot (in book) was about how to get the crew back to USSR without them knowing about defection.
flymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-12, 07:59 PM   #14
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6

Actually the worse submarine movie ever made has to be Agent Red. We are talking MST3K bad.

TLAM Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-12, 08:32 PM   #15
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

The list goes on.....

Such a sad thing that people actually watch these movies.

With the exception of Hunt For Red October. That is the only good one discussed in this thread. But the book was a million times better.