SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-26-09, 07:52 PM   #1
Rip
Commodore

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 0
Default Women on Subs? NEAL!

Look what the hell you started with your damn April Fool's joke. That these brain dead politicians are going to end up actually doing it.

All right why don't we start with some decontamination drills. Somebody grab my scrub brush.

Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-09, 10:18 PM   #2
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146

well ****.

so much for that "long hard and full of seamen" joke.
Old 09-26-09, 10:54 PM   #3
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Link? http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...=moreheadlines

Well, think of all the Navy women who will love me for it!
Old 09-26-09, 11:35 PM   #4
geetrue
Cold War Boomer

Downloads: 5

Submarines have enough strange smells to put up with without adding the blood of a young female Ltjg to the list.

The jokes alone would drive you insane

Her bumps are not going to go un-noticed

The only reason I can think of that makes sense is the reproduction equipment she would bring with her in case of a thermo-nuclear war.

She couldn't be an enlistedman due to galley duty and where would she fit after galley duty?

Sonar? Radio? Quartermaster?

Nuc, electrician, etr?

She don't fit, but if they send them in pairs everyone head for the bomb shelter ...
Old 09-27-09, 12:13 AM   #5
Rip
Commodore

Downloads: 39

Sonarman and radioman sound like good candidates. I think half of the ones they have now might have to cheat on a gender test. Yeoman would be another good one. How about corpsman? Could end up with a lot of frequently sick bubbleheads. The easiest officer billet would have to be Supply Officer. At least we could get requisitions expedited with a little less crap.
Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-09, 07:28 AM   #6
SteamWake
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip View Post
At least we could get requisitions expedited with a little less crap.
Have you been shopping with a woman lately?
Old 09-27-09, 08:15 AM   #7
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

I'm suprised nobody mentioned recreation officer or mattress tester

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-09, 08:43 AM   #8
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Ha, they were talking about this on the radio. On guy called in, a former submariner, and said they had tested women on his sub along time ago. The experement didn't go to good because the "feminine hygiene products" totally clogged the pluming up. They also had an interview "naval-expert" from someplace talk about the subject. The person (a woman), was totally against the idea for a plethora of reasons, mainly it's too big of a distraction vs the risk invovled. well duh.
Old 09-27-09, 10:57 AM   #9
Bubblehead Nuke
XO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikimcbee View Post
Ha, they were talking about this on the radio. On guy called in, a former submariner, and said they had tested women on his sub along time ago. The experement didn't go to good because the "feminine hygiene products" totally clogged the pluming up. They also had an interview "naval-expert" from someplace talk about the subject. The person (a woman), was totally against the idea for a plethora of reasons, mainly it's too big of a distraction vs the risk invovled. well duh.
That would have been the USS Minneapolis–Saint Paul (SSN-708), or as we called her the Menopause during that little experiment. I did not serve of her, but I knew folks who did. They hated it overall. Oh how we howled about the things they bitched about.

They took all of 21 man berthing in forward compartment lower level and converted it to female berthing. They did that because there is a head right across the passageway from that berthing space. Oh, and it was deemed by the powers that be that ladies do NOT hotrack, thus EVERYONE e-6 and below was now hotracking.

One problem was that it was between the torpedo room and AMR. I heard it made it a pain for the watchstanders. While it is not a HIGH traffic zone, there are NO low traffic zones on a boat. Underway you have had to yell "male on deck" everytime you went down the ladder. Oh, and the ships laundry was right there as well. Not to mention that the majority of the crew is now restricted to ONE head.

As for the problems with the plumbing?? Oh yeah.. the poo-pump could handle a turd without a problem. It is squishy after all. But put something solid in the tank (like an apple core or hygene product) and the pump would lock up when it tried to pass it. Taking apart the pump was not too bad, but the STENCH... wow. In the meantime you had to resort to blowing the sans. That makes a LOT of noise. Pumping them was the prefered, if slower and quieter, method.

Do I think they (the ladies) can do the job? Yes indeed. Can they do it and stand up to the close quarters and sexual innuendo? I think SOME can, but not all. Like it or not, there WILL be jokes, comments, and grabass games. Sailors are sailors regardless of gender. We got ROUGH with each other. If you heard us talk to each other you would would be SHOCKED to hear what we said when it was just us.

If it was a lady on board once i got to know her she would be 'one of the guys'. I would cut her NO slack for she volenteered for this duty. To treat her in any was different would from the rest of the guys would, IMHO, be more insulting to her than treating her like a sexual object.
Bubblehead Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-09, 12:07 PM   #10
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Default May I join the crew, Mr. Captain, Sir!?

Can I be a sailor girl? I love pushing all those BIG shiny buttons, plus I know how to Dive. Do Sailor girls get minicures on patrols? And on hot days, do we get strawberry daquari's? And can we sunbath on deck? (I just bought three new, tiny European bikini outfits and don't want them to go out of fashion.) I love Navy guy's, all dressed up in white, and I have a special thing for guys wearing those cute captain's hats! Do I get my own room? A shower? I want to fire that big gun, too. Let me know, please. Here is my resume. Love, Jill

Last edited by I'm goin' down; 09-27-09 at 12:18 PM.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-09, 12:30 PM   #11
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

^
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-09, 02:28 PM   #12
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Just so long as you don't mind a little lipstick on the dipstick....welcome aboard maam

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-09, 05:10 PM   #13
Captain Vlad
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 6

Other countries have managed to do this and keep their submarines operational. There is no reason we can't.
Old 09-27-09, 06:12 PM   #14
Bubblehead Nuke
XO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Vlad View Post
Other countries have managed to do this and keep their submarines operational. There is no reason we can't.
These other societies have a different moral/societal code than we do. There are some things that some (not I, BTW) Americans find untenable. To put men and women in a confined space were they might see someone of the opposite gender partially clothed, or god forbid NAKED, is adhorrent to the powers that be.

Like it of not, Americans are PRUDEs when it comes to sex and/or nudity or the mixing of genders.
Bubblehead Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-09, 08:45 PM   #15
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Vlad View Post
Oh yes because if Canada does it, it must be a good idea! I am definitely one of the "keep them off subs" crowd. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. This whole thing stinks of politics. IMHO Adm. Mullen is trying to secure a bigger piece of the pie, or he has some pissy Congresswoman breathing down his neck.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote