SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-29-09, 06:10 PM   #16
Letum
Navy Seal

Downloads: 43
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteamWake
What in the hell do you need 67 tons of mecury for munitions?

Thats a hella lot of tilt switches or was it used for other things?
It has many uses:
  • Fuses
  • Rocket fuel production
  • An old fashioned way of enriching uranium
  • Auto-pilot and rocket systems
  • Old fashioned electrics. Especially arc valves for power plants
  • Optics, especially naval.
  • Batteries
  • It is expensive
The Germans also shipped radioactive materials mixed in mercury, but it is not clear why.
U-859's mercury only contains trace radioactive materials as a by product of it's
method of extraction tho.
Old 01-29-09, 06:33 PM   #17
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

They won't raise the boat. Not broken in pieces with 64 years of deterioration. I'll bet they pump out as much of it's cargo as possible then seal the wreck.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-09, 10:10 PM   #18
bookworm_020
Navy Seal

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteamWake
67 Tons worth... yea thats cause for concearn.
That's an understatement!
bookworm_020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-09, 10:50 PM   #19
Letum
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenRivet
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Seth_
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letum
It's a shame they have to disturb a grave, but mercury really is nasty stuff.
I truly agree, mate. I hope the do this with the proper respect since it is the last resting place of the crew.
The German navy should have a full military honor guard present who will all salute arms when the boat breaks the surface.
I disagree.
Those who fought for the Nazis should be respected in death as humans, but not
honored in death as soldiers.
Old 01-30-09, 12:54 AM   #20
OneToughHerring
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Personally I understand the need to respect a designated war grave that I'm sure this sub is seen as. It would make sense to remove the mercury without actually hauling any part of the sub up to the surface. However, I'm also interested in WW 2 wrecks especially in near-by Scandinavian waters.

If there's a wreck that sank and nobody went down with it, it would be ok to raise it? Nobody would say no to that? What about raising some cargo, I know that quite a lot of cargo went to the bottom of the sea in the Barents sea with the Arctic convoys, PQ-17 depicted in my sig image.
Old 01-30-09, 05:16 AM   #21
stabiz
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 14

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenRivet
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Seth_
Quote:
It's a shame they have to disturb a grave, but mercury really is nasty stuff.
I truly agree, mate. I hope the do this with the proper respect since it is the last resting place of the crew.
The German navy should have a full military honor guard present who will all salute arms when the boat breaks the surface.
I disagree.
Those who fought for the Nazis should be respected in death as humans, but not
honored in death as soldiers.
I totally disagree. They fought for their country. If Himmler sank in a one man sub full of mercury, I would agree that a saluting band would be wierd.
Old 01-30-09, 09:09 AM   #22
McBeck
Admiral

Downloads: 15

The german submarine service was know to fight for the country - not for the Nazi party. Any kind of Nazi propagande was not allowed on the bases or boats.

"I like subcommanders...they dont have time for bull****!"

Proud member of the Subsim army of zombies
Becks website
McBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-09, 09:19 AM   #23
Letum
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by stabiz
I totally disagree. They fought for their country. If Himmler sank in a one man sub full of mercury, I would agree that a saluting band would be wierd.
What part of their country do you think they where fighting for?
They certainly didn't fight for the freedom loving, peaceful or humane part.

The allies fought for those parts of Germany, not the German army.

The men entombed in U864 fought for much less desirable aspects of Germany. That
makes them human and does not lessen the tragedy of their death, but it does not
bring them any honor, glory or righteousness.
Old 01-30-09, 09:30 AM   #24
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
For their families. I have readed lots of books with 1st person accounts and have many friends whose grandfather fought in WW2, and what all of them will tell you is the same: They fought for victory because defeat would mean the terror and chaos for their beloved ones. More than anything, they feared the Red Army and in the eastern front war on the defensive was desperate because of that. They knew what came with the invasion of the Red Army: Death, rape and destruction of everything they loved, mainly in a horrible and saddist way.

BTW incidentally the russians thought the very same of the "german hordes" and also fought the german army desperately because of the same reasons. Not because of being "good bolschevists".

Politicians start wars, most soldiers just obbey and once the disaster has started, they don't want their families to be in the losing side. Just that.
Old 01-30-09, 09:37 AM   #25
Morts
Admiral

Downloads: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman
Quote:
For their families. I have readed lots of books with 1st person accounts and have many friends whose grandfather fought in WW2, and what all of them will tell you is the same: They fought for victory because defeat would mean the terror and chaos for their beloved ones. More than anything, they feared the Red Army and in the eastern front war on the defensive was desperate because of that. They knew what came with the invasion of the Red Army: Death, rape and destruction of everything they loved, mainly in a horrible and saddist way.

BTW incidentally the russians thought the very same of the "german hordes" and also fought the german army desperately because of the same reasons. Not because of being "good bolschevists".

Politicians start wars, most soldiers just obbey and once the disaster has started, they don't want their families to be in the losing side. Just that.
exactly
Morts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-09, 09:55 AM   #26
Letum
Navy Seal

Quote:
I'm sure if that was the case for some in the German military, then it makes them
honorable people in so far as they had good intentions, however, it is a big leap
from that to say that they deserve military honors.

As humans they may have wanted just to protect their family, but as soldiers in the
German military, they where trying to invade most of Europe and facilitate genocide.
These where he military objectives for them.

Certainly honor them as humans, scared about their families future etc. but not as
soldiers taking part in a utterly unjust war; there is no honor in that.
Old 01-30-09, 10:04 AM   #27
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Quote:
I'm sure if that was the case for some in the German military, then it makes them
honorable people in so far as they had good intentions, however, it is a big leap

As humans they may have wanted just to protect their family, but as soldiers in the
German military, they where trying to invade most of Europe and facilitate genocide.

Certainly honor them as humans, scared about their families future etc. but not as
On the other hand even in WW2 when the situation allowed for it enemy soldiers were occasionally given military funerals, so I see no reason not to let the Germans honor their U-864 dead if it so chooses.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-09, 10:23 AM   #28
antikristuseke
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stabiz
They certainly didn't fight for the freedom loving, peaceful or humane part.

The allies fought for those parts of Germany, not the German army.

The men entombed in U864 fought for much less desirable aspects of Germany. That
makes them human and does not lessen the tragedy of their death, but it does not
bring them any honor, glory or righteousness.
It still makes them soldiers and as such they deserve a burrial with soldiers honours.
antikristuseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-09, 10:39 AM   #29
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

Quote:
Originally Posted by August
Quote:
Quote:

On the other hand even in WW2 when the situation allowed for it enemy soldiers were occasionally given military funerals, so I see no reason not to let the Germans honor their U-864 dead if it so chooses.
I agree with August whole heartedly. Their grave is being disturbed after this many years. Yes for good reason but, it's still being disturbed

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-09, 11:16 AM   #30
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Downloads: 62

@Letum

If the UK should ever start an unjust war and draft you I bet you will just say "I don't want to take part in this!" and bravely meet the firing squad....

(I know the U-boat crews were not drafted, but everyone who didn't volunteer was drafted and likely sent to the infantry.)