Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-05-23, 09:25 AM   #5281
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Ethier way this country is screw then almost be better to elect a lot lizzard least know what we be getting but then maybe i can hit the lottery and get a island in the middle of no where
Old 03-05-23, 02:14 PM   #5282
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

^ Just don't choose the Solomones ..

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-23, 02:28 PM   #5283
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
^ Just don't choose the Solomones ..

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-23, 07:17 PM   #5284
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Nothing to see here move along people. No problems with our executive branch exists.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...boar-rcna73435

Quote:
…28 cars of a Norfolk Southern train that derailed Saturday evening in Springfield, Ohio, officials said at a news briefing.

It was the second derailment of the company’s trains in Ohio in a matter of weeks after a train carrying dangerous chemicals derailed in East Palestine on Feb. 3
How many people wrote their representatives last time this happened demanding inquiry and regulations that place even minimal railroad safety before share holder profits? Bueller? Anyone?

Let me guess, Ya but whatabout Trump?

Old 03-05-23, 08:28 PM   #5285
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

There are about 1700 derailments per year in the US.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-23, 06:44 AM   #5286
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Ya that’s a lot isn’t it. Especially considering the effects just one derailment can have on human life and the environment. Some reports indicate that 25 to 30 million people could be affected from toxins released from the derailment in East Palestine, OH.

I’m pretty sure in this day and age there must be technology available which can improve the civil war era undercarriage and brake systems. Basic monitoring systems that can at least notify operators there’s been a goddamn fire raging on one of their cars for the last twenty miles. Instead of finding out after they’ve derailed, spilling carcinogens and toxins all over god’s green earth.

Last edited by Rockstar; 03-06-23 at 08:39 AM.
Old 03-06-23, 10:35 AM   #5287
MaDef
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Ya that’s a lot isn’t it. Especially considering the effects just one derailment can have on human life and the environment. Some reports indicate that 25 to 30 million people could be affected from toxins released from the derailment in East Palestine, OH.

I’m pretty sure in this day and age there must be technology available which can improve the civil war era undercarriage and brake systems. Basic monitoring systems that can at least notify operators there’s been a goddamn fire raging on one of their cars for the last twenty miles. Instead of finding out after they’ve derailed, spilling carcinogens and toxins all over god’s green earth.
Let's put that into perspective shall we? The U.S has 140,000 miles of RR track (that's enough to cross the U.S. from coast to coast 41 times), the U.S. also moves 1.7 Billion Tons of cargo across those tracks every year. Last week (final week of FEB) the RR's moved 459,233 train cars (box cars, hoppers, intermodal cars, etc.) from point A to point B (this does not include passenger rail). So if you extrapolate that number out to 52 weeks, that comes out to about 23.8 Million RR cars per year traveling across the U.S.

While the East Palestine derailment was preventable, the response by both Norfolk Southern and Biden Admin is a dismal failure. And rather than look for scapegoats, they should be working to repair and/or mitigate the damage caused to the area, and address the specific failure that caused this derailment (I have a feeling when all is said and done is that standard safety protocols were not adhered to).
MaDef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-23, 12:15 PM   #5288
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDef View Post
Let's put that into perspective shall we? The U.S has 140,000 miles of RR track (that's enough to cross the U.S. from coast to coast 41 times), the U.S. also moves 1.7 Billion Tons of cargo across those tracks every year. Last week (final week of FEB) the RR's moved 459,233 train cars (box cars, hoppers, intermodal cars, etc.) from point A to point B (this does not include passenger rail). So if you extrapolate that number out to 52 weeks, that comes out to about 23.8 Million RR cars per year traveling across the U.S.

While the East Palestine derailment was preventable, the response by both Norfolk Southern and Biden Admin is a dismal failure. And rather than look for scapegoats, they should be working to repair and/or mitigate the damage caused to the area, and address the specific failure that caused this derailment (I have a feeling when all is said and done is that standard safety protocols were not adhered to).

I know, I wasn’t sure what he meant by the statement so I took a chance . Been keeping up on it seems both sides of the house are starting to wonder what the heck is going on with NFS and some are calling on the CEO to make an appearance before congress. Regardless whether anyone thinks the number of derailments are a lot or not. Someone needs to drive their size 12 boondocker up someone’s butt. Considering the toxic fallout, that derailment in East Palestine, OH was one too many.

In this country we have a luxury other countries don’t. We can usually get answers faster if we fire off respectful nasty grams demanding answers. We shouldn’t be defending any of those freeloaders on the hill.

Old 03-06-23, 05:20 PM   #5289
MaDef
Ace of the Deep

Fair enough. Now I'll speak to the second half of your statement.

The following sensors are used on trains;
Speed Sensors.
Vibration Sensors.
Pressure Sensors.
Humidity Sensors.
Position Sensors.
Temperature Sensors.
Level Sensors.

Now I'm not a train buff so I don't know exactly how those sensors are integrated into the safe operation of a train. But I would guess the train engineman has a way to monitor them, and a procedure to follow when those readings are out of norm. on the other hand tracks need to be visually inspected on a regular interval, depending on the "classification" of the track (tracks are classed according to speed rating, and there are 6 ratings). Almost all tracks get a weekly inspection, and if the track carries passenger trains in addition to freight, they are inspected twice a week.
Old 03-06-23, 06:15 PM   #5290
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDef View Post
Fair enough. Now I'll speak to the second half of your statement.

The following sensors are used on trains;
Speed Sensors.
Vibration Sensors.
Pressure Sensors.
Humidity Sensors.
Position Sensors.
Temperature Sensors.
Level Sensors.

Now I'm not a train buff so I don't know exactly how those sensors are integrated into the safe operation of a train. But I would guess the train engineman has a way to monitor them, and a procedure to follow when those readings are out of norm. on the other hand tracks need to be visually inspected on a regular interval, depending on the "classification" of the track (tracks are classed according to speed rating, and there are 6 ratings). Almost all tracks get a weekly inspection, and if the track carries passenger trains in addition to freight, they are inspected twice a week.
That’s funny, you sound like you’re a train nerd.

Thanks,

Old 03-07-23, 01:14 AM   #5291
MaDef
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
That’s funny, you sound like you’re a train nerd.

Thanks,
Nope, but Title 49 of the CFR (Code of Federal Regulations) is a wealth of information on RR regulations.
Old 03-07-23, 04:56 AM   #5292
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post

Yes, because we already know they will do anything it takes, in their book no sin is verboten if you're aligned against President Trump.
Old 03-09-23, 07:09 AM   #5293
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

An end in failure or failures without end? Choose your poison.

The real mistakes have been decided for many years earlier.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-64897424
Old 03-10-23, 11:10 PM   #5294
Buddahaid

So MTG calls for US military strikes on Mexico. Doesn't this twit understand that's an act of war? US citizens buys drugs from Mexico, Mexican citizens buy firearms from the US and both governments have made it illegal. Should Mexico launch strikes on the US gun dealers?

David Bowie
Old 03-10-23, 11:31 PM   #5295
Buddahaid

https://www.moodysanalytics.com/-/me...abbit-hole.pdf

So, the America First MAGA party's plan to hold the US economy hostage over raising the debt ceiling will cost millions of US taxpayers their jobs no matter what according to this Moody's Analytics report (see page eight). All this just to prop up little man Trump's ego fest and force a recession during Biden's term.

David Bowie