SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-26-11, 02:17 PM   #1
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168
Uploads: 0

Default Mobo + CPU combos

First off, I blame everyone who participated in this thread.

I am looking right now at this combination for a possible upgrade.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...182&CatId=4297

What say you, oh resident Subsim technical advisors?

Not necessarily buying from there, I haven't checked prices everywhere yet. But at first glance the price looks okay, and it has all the slots I need for the stuff I have plus another gfx card if I want to do that (AND YOU KNOW I DO) and they all appear to be in places which will allow me to use the stuff I've already got.

Gots plenty of USB connectors for peripherals, an eSata connector for my external drive, and I assume there will be no problems hooking up two internal HDDs and two DVD drives.

I will probably get a slightly larger case as I have a... mini-tower (?) now. Anyway, next size up is a mid-tower and I've been looking at some that will take an ATX board and give me a little more tinkering room inside, but are not too big too fit the space I've got which is non-negotiable.

Also I will have to upgrade to DDR3 RAM but RAM's relatively cheap and it's not like I need to have this up and running ASAP. Just looking for a good place to start.

And I'll need a new power supply so wattage recommendations, kind sirs. Will probably get another Radeon HD 5770 if/when I get a second gfx card. IIRC at least 600w is required for two of them running in tandem.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote