SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-10-13, 09:59 AM   #361
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
Ok, here latest and last zero wind :
Just beautiful! Fifi, I am really amazed by the quality of your work

What would be cool now, is having a second version of SeaParameters.cfg with realistic wave appearence, lenght, speed, height, etc for the maxium wind speed allowed in game. Pictures and charts I have posted here a while ago could be a good reference. What do you think?

Quote:
On side note, DE associated with Sober DOF V6 is stunning!
Yes, DOF is another great mod

Quote:
(you can update picture link of first post, if you want)
Done
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-13, 10:30 AM   #362
volodya61
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 374
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
What would be cool now, is having a second version of SeaParameters.cfg with realistic wave appearence, lenght, speed, height, etc for the maxium wind speed allowed in game. Pictures and charts I have posted here a while ago could be a good reference.
I tried to edit seaparameters.cfg last week based on your pics and charts.. there is a devilish lot of work.. hundreds, maybe thousands tests.. I while gave up..

@ Fifi

Beautiful work!
Just tried it.. nice, very nice.. keep up this good work

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos © - and for some people awakening will be cruel
volodya61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-13, 10:35 AM   #363
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodya61 View Post
I tried to edit seaparameters.cfg last week based on your pics and charts.. there is a devilish lot of work.. hundreds, maybe thousands tests.. I while gave up..
Yes, I know

By the way, have you tried editing settings "on the fly", as suggested by sober (start game in windowed mode, and close/reload mission after each change instead of closing/reloading the game)?
Old 05-10-13, 10:52 AM   #364
volodya61
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Yes, I know

By the way, have you tried editing settings "on the fly", as suggested by sober (start game in windowed mode, and close/reload mission after each change instead of closing/reloading the game)?
Yes, I know.. We can edit seaparameters.cfg and some other files without having to completely quit the game.. still a lot of tests

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos © - and for some people awakening will be cruel
Old 05-10-13, 11:20 AM   #365
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodya61 View Post
Yes, I know.. We can edit seaparameters.cfg and some other files without having to completely quit the game.. still a lot of tests
We can do it!

Old 05-10-13, 11:23 AM   #366
volodya61
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
We can do it!

Old 05-10-13, 12:36 PM   #367
Silent Steel
Sea Lord

Downloads: 618
Default @ Fifi

Thanks for your hard work mate
This is epic
Silent Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-13, 04:23 PM   #368
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 456

Thanks guys
Glad you're enjoying it

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap
What would be cool now, is having a second version of SeaParameters.cfg with realistic wave appearence, lenght, speed, height, etc for the maxium wind speed allowed in game. Pictures and charts I have posted here a while ago could be a good reference. What do you think?
Yes, i tried some new X,Y,Z waves settings to see what could be done, mainly to space waves between each other...it's not that easy, and first results were not satisfying
It will take some time before i handle those XYZ values correctly...
On other hand, game is limiting wind to 30 knots. It's not very high...If we modelize waves accordingly to those 30 knots limit, we'll never see big waves coming to top conning tower you know
Actually, it's kind of game compromise, and the real wind values we see ingame can't be really taken in account for waves height
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-13, 05:02 PM   #369
Fifi
Navy Seal

Back to my fog adjustments, as i said some posts back, i've increased the fog distance parameters mainly for gameplay matters.
So now, boats begin to be viewable in medium fog around 2500/2300m...and in heavy fog around 1000m...and i like pretty much this rendering.
But problem is my AI officer (and watch crew) can still see them way further, and i can ask him to identify them even though i don't see them

So what is the file i could adjust to decrease the AI officer and watch crew view distance? ...if there is any!...
Old 05-11-13, 04:34 AM   #370
volodya61
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Back to my fog adjustments, as i said some posts back, i've increased the fog distance parameters mainly for gameplay matters.
So now, boats begin to be viewable in medium fog around 2500/2300m...and in heavy fog around 1000m...and i like pretty much this rendering.
But problem is my AI officer (and watch crew) can still see them way further, and i can ask him to identify them even though i don't see them

So what is the file i could adjust to decrease the AI officer and watch crew view distance? ...if there is any!...
data/Cfg/sensors.cfg and sim.cfg.. one for your crew, other for AI-ships crews.. both in IRAI..

Old 05-11-13, 08:40 AM   #371
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Yes, i tried some new X,Y,Z waves settings to see what could be done, mainly to space waves between each other...it's not that easy, and first results were not satisfying
It will take some time before i handle those XYZ values correctly...
Let me know if I can help with them. As I told you a while ago, I think they are expressed in game units (1 unit= 10 m). Recently, I have created a simple spreadsheet for previewing various wave lenght/heights on graph and comparing them to ship sizes. If you want, I can send it your way.

Quote:
On other hand, game is limiting wind to 30 knots. It's not very high...If we modelize waves accordingly to those 30 knots limit, we'll never see big waves coming to top conning tower you know
Actually, it's kind of game compromise, and the real wind values we see ingame can't be really taken in account for waves height
Wind speed limit is actually 15 m/s, not 30. Your lapsus led me to another idea though. Having to face force 9 waves while being reported a wind speed of 15 m/s doesn't look right to me; I wonder how difficult would be making NO's weather reports to display 2 x wind speeds: i.e. a wind speed of 5 m/s (game setting) would be reported as 10 m/s, 10 m/s as 20 m/s, and so on... I know it is a small detail, but imo it would add to the immersion. Unfortunately I don't know how to do it, if possible at all, but maybe TDW or DrJones can give us some clues.

Quote:

For watch crew, you can adjust Visual fog factor in Sensors.cfg. As for ship identification abilities by the officer, you should ask TDW on it.
Old 05-11-13, 08:45 AM   #372
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Anything dealing with weather is hard-coded in the game (thus the weather report details). I know where in sh5 code the command for the weather report is processed and the string for it is built. Currently don't want to go down that road yet though as many more things are more important than the weather.
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-13, 09:01 AM   #373
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
Anything dealing with weather is hard-coded in the game (thus the weather report details). I know where in sh5 code the command for the weather report is processed and the string for it is built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
Currently don't want to go down that road yet though as many more things are more important than the weather.
I don't know if Fifi and other players will agree with you on this point, but I would be happy enough if you put this and other (and more important) weather related issues at the last place of your todo list
Old 05-11-13, 10:26 AM   #374
volodya61
Ocean Warrior

Another thought about Fifi's edition.. it's beautiful but.. how many days in a year can we see similar sea state like in [SeaType 0] in the Baltic? even if wind speed is 0m/sec the Baltic (and others Northern seas) doesn't looks like mirror.. I think would be much better to make several Sea mods.. for Northern waters, for Pacific waters, for Mediterranean.. like we already have several types of sea plants..

What do you think? community?

Old 05-11-13, 07:14 PM   #375
Fifi
Navy Seal

Quote:
Recently, I have created a simple spreadsheet for previewing various wave lenght/heights on graph and comparing them to ship sizes. If you want, I can send it your way.
Sure, could be interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap
Wind speed limit is actually 15 m/s, not 30.
15m/s = 30 knots
I prefer knots as reference, it's much more talking to me. When i navigate for RL, we all use knots instead of m/s

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap
For watch crew, you can adjust Visual fog factor in Sensors.cfg. As for ship identification abilities by the officer, you should ask TDW on it.
Well, reading his answer on the question, i'm gonna leave this alone for the moment!

Quote:
I don't know if Fifi and other players will agree with you on this point, but I would be happy enough if you put this and other (and more important) weather related issues at the last place of your todo list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volodya61
Another thought about Fifi's edition.. it's beautiful but.. how many days in a year can we see similar sea state like in [SeaType 0] in the Baltic? even if wind speed is 0m/sec the Baltic (and others Northern seas) doesn't looks like mirror.. I think would be much better to make several Sea mods.. for Northern waters, for Pacific waters, for Mediterranean.. like we already have several types of sea plants..
Honestly, i think zero wind in Baltic, Arctic, Atlantic, Pacific etc...is the same zero wind rendering
Water is exactly the same, and without any wind = no waves at all = maximum water reflection in whatever earth place.
Only sea color may change, due to sea ground/depth combined to sky color and clouds overcast IMO.

Tags
climate, dynamic environment, environment, environmental mod, fog, weather