SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-05-20, 11:14 AM   #916
WH4K
Frogman

Downloads: 56
Uploads: 0

The ship that soaked up so many torps before sinking was none other than...

...the infamous Yamato.

With a carrier, a few destroyers, and maybe a cruiser clustered around it.

I found and exploited a gap in their coverage, but it still took something like 10-12 torps to send her to the bottom.

It wasn't shallow enough there for their ship sitting on the bottom to keep the crew from going swimming.

Can't really argue with that amount of torps, though; IIRC her sister ship took 19 torps and multiple bombs before succumbing.
Old 05-05-20, 11:22 AM   #917
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Ahh yesh... I know exactly where you were sitting, and it is indeed in deep water. Ten torpedoes is not out of the ordinary for that ship, and I have hit it with 15 and it still be afloat. That somewhat depends upon where you hit it. The one time I encountered it while in the game and it was underway, I managed to put five of six bow torps in her, but never got the chance to get turned for the after room... and she ran away from me at 24 knots, leaving 3 of 4 DD behind to bust my nose and dent my rib cage... stomp on my feet, wrench my arms... etc. etc. etc.... Barely made it home, where everyone in the officer's lounge was saying "how big did you say this fish was?"... - In my imagination anyway... lol - I do wish the game could give you a "BB Yamato Class - damaged" report.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-20, 11:42 AM   #918
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Why, that is a politically correct ship sinking... ahem...

It does look like a graphics glitch, but first of all, can you ID the ship for us so that we can double-check it's zon file please? 2nd of all, had you shelled-out to Windows, accidentally or otherwise lately? maybe mixed mods accidentally in the Save folder etc etc?:
It is an Anysu Auxillary Transport or something like that. I don't think I shelled out to windows. This is my mod list:

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Silent Hunters wolves of the pacific\MODS]

100_FalloftheRisingSun_UltimateEdition_v1.004.a_EN
501_Optional - Same Sized Dials
Fleetboat_Interior-Officers_Quarters

I do not think I had mixed mods in the save folder.

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-20, 12:37 PM   #919
WH4K
Frogman

Quote:
Ahh yesh... I know exactly where you were sitting, and it is indeed in deep water. Ten torpedoes is not out of the ordinary for that ship, and I have hit it with 15 and it still be afloat. That somewhat depends upon where you hit it. The one time I encountered it while in the game and it was underway, I managed to put five of six bow torps in her, but never got the chance to get turned for the after room... and she ran away from me at 24 knots, leaving 3 of 4 DD behind to bust my nose and dent my rib cage... stomp on my feet, wrench my arms... etc. etc. etc.... Barely made it home, where everyone in the officer's lounge was saying "how big did you say this fish was?"... - In my imagination anyway... lol - I do wish the game could give you a "BB Yamato Class - damaged" report.
Believe it or not I stumbled across ANOTHER one of those guys today, hanging out inside an atoll southwest of Midway, inbound on my last patrol (mid-1943).

Of course I was down to only 5 torps total, so I didn't even bother. I settled for sinking a few of the smaller fish that were milling about.
Old 05-05-20, 01:13 PM   #920
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH4K View Post
The ship that soaked up so many torps before sinking was none other than...

...the infamous Yamato.

With a carrier, a few destroyers, and maybe a cruiser clustered around it.

I found and exploited a gap in their coverage, but it still took something like 10-12 torps to send her to the bottom.

It wasn't shallow enough there for their ship sitting on the bottom to keep the crew from going swimming.

Can't really argue with that amount of torps, though; IIRC her sister ship took 19 torps and multiple bombs before succumbing.
I encountered the same thing too. It was somewhere close to that number of torpedoes to sink her. I was wondering if the mod team could remove it until the date it actually put to sea? It annoys me.

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-20, 02:14 PM   #921
WH4K
Frogman

I'm not too bothered, after all it's a game not a movie.

In general, I suspect we simulated sub captains are presented with a much more target-rich environment than ever existed in reality. There were only so many Japanese warships at the start of the war, Japan only managed to build so many replacements, and that was that. Same applies to merchant shipping.

Pickings must have got REAL slim toward the end of the war. I suspect it was a lot like cleaning up a bunch of spilled rice in your kitchen. The first 80% goes quickly, the next 10% isn't too tough, but then you spend the remaining 800% of the time finding the last 10 rice grains.

Except the rice grains are trying to avoid you, and some of them are shooting at you.
Old 05-05-20, 04:52 PM   #922
jlan5031
Swabbie

Downloads: 123
Default Using External Camera Controls.

I've been searching but can't spot my problem among the thousands of responses.

I've recently returned to FOTRs Ultimate. On my first patrol, I press the External Camera Control to admire my sub. When I'm finished admiring, I can't get back to the bridge. From the Keyboard Help page, I use F4, or I use /Ctrl. Nothing changes. The only way I can get back on the bridge is to restart the campaign.
What am I missing?
jlan5031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-20, 05:07 PM   #923
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38

Default False Repair Reports

After both periscopes were knocked out by DC, the CE reported one was repaired at 2010 and the other at 2014. When I rapidly came to periscope depth, prepared to fire stern tubes, neither of the periscopes worked.

USS Quillback, Tench class, 3/24/45 @ 2015, 121 22' 05" E, 25 45' 07" N, Patrol Area 11-B

Win10 Pro, 64 bit, 1.8/1.99 GHz CPU, 16 GB RAM, Intel UHD 620.
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-20, 05:28 PM   #924
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlan5031 View Post

I've recently returned to FOTRs Ultimate. On my first patrol, I press the External Camera Control to admire my sub. When I'm finished admiring, I can't get back to the bridge. From the Keyboard Help page, I use F4, or I use /Ctrl. Nothing changes. The only way I can get back on the bridge is to restart the campaign.
What am I missing?

Once in external view you cannot just use right mouse button to go to previous view, you must double-click one of the station menu icons, e.g. the Bridge icon. This works all the time for me, if this doesn't solve it for you it must be something else

XS
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-20, 07:15 PM   #925
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlan5031 View Post

What am I missing?
sounds like you have a corrupted install.
try Webster's Mod Soup Fix.
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho....php?p=1228828
if that does not work, you will probably have to perform an uninstall and re-install. be sure to NOT install SH4 in the default Windows folder. use something like C:\Ubisoft\SH4 or something similar.

good luck.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-20, 07:17 PM   #926
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mios 4Me View Post
After both periscopes were knocked out by DC, the CE reported one was repaired at 2010 and the other at 2014. When I rapidly came to periscope depth, prepared to fire stern tubes, neither of the periscopes worked.

USS Quillback, Tench class, 3/24/45 @ 2015, 121 22' 05" E, 25 45' 07" N, Patrol Area 11-B

Win10 Pro, 64 bit, 1.8/1.99 GHz CPU, 16 GB RAM, Intel UHD 620.
were the equipment boxes both cleared (not red...no vertical repair meter)?

LAA enabled
Old 05-05-20, 07:21 PM   #927
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO Re: "BB Yamato Class - damaged" report

Quote:
Has anything been attempted, to see if such a report could be generated...

Have to know that I am not the only 1 to have been frustrated by sinking my 'fangs aka torps' into a nice juicy target, only to be sneered at by them & watch it sail off, (sometimes, at seemingly warp speeds... laughing at us like Nelson, from the Simpson's... with no hope of catching up with them, not unless the damage model was such that over time damages would slow them down...) never to know if it sank later on, made it to a port to be fixed back up to sail again... or if it disappeared into a black hole, never to be seen again.. or beamed up by a UFO... *chuckles at the image of a ship being beamed up*

Just curious, since you broached this subject propbeanie...
Old 05-05-20, 07:43 PM   #928
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
were the equipment boxes both cleared (not red...no vertical repair meter)?
Both show damage of 1, a vertical red line.

The notices of repair were both verbal and printed. I saved the game near that point, so I may be able to scroll back to them if needed.
Old 05-05-20, 10:23 PM   #929
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mios 4Me View Post
Both show damage of 1, a vertical red line.

The notices of repair were both verbal and printed. I saved the game near that point, so I may be able to scroll back to them if needed.
then, they are toast, despite the notice(s) of repair.
they will not be repaired and usable until you end the mission.
not my rule....Ubi's

LAA enabled
Old 05-06-20, 12:59 AM   #930
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
then, they are toast, despite the notice(s) of repair.
they will not be repaired and usable until you end the mission.
not my rule....Ubi's
Right, no issue with the inability to repair, just with the contrary indications. Assumed it was a mod issue as I've never encountered it before in a number of stock careers.