SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-26-23, 11:13 AM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threadfin View Post
I have that 454 hand cannon, from a weapons pack.
Note: class 4-9, that makes it really a very interesting thing.

I miss the weapon sounds of the Classic Hunter. Some of the weapons there thunder away like a broadside from a Napoleonic sailship . And the .454 in it was a tank cannon, raw and brutal and heavy. The weapon sounds in COTW are meh...

Nice in the extensive statriscs keeping was and is that every misse dshot affctes your statics for thta weapon. I especially was a Nazi when it came to preicison ratings, and wanted the rifles I used to have this rating at 97% and higher. And I had. Every missed shot negatively affected that total scoring, of course. That made you really careful, this and the fact that you only had limited ammo supplied for free, additional ammo had to be bought with real money. Like the system or not: it kept the trigger-happy Rambos away.
Old 01-26-23, 02:34 PM   #2
Oubaas
Frogman

Downloads: 65

I shot an American Bison in the head with the .454 at point blank range as he charged me in COTW. Dropped him like a rock, right at my feet with one shot. It certainly has stopping power, despite looking like something a pimp would carry.

Oubaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-23, 03:14 PM   #3
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oubaas View Post
I shot an American Bison in the head with the .454 at point blank range as he charged me in COTW. Dropped him like a rock, right at my feet with one shot. It certainly has stopping power, despite looking like something a pimp would carry.

Haha, that's right. Pimp gun.

But I should carry it for close defense. If you're going to carry a handgun why not carry the hardest hitter?
Old 01-26-23, 02:36 PM   #4
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post

Nice in the extensive statriscs keeping was and is that every misse dshot affctes your statics for thta weapon.
What do you mean by this? Are you saying if my overall rifle percentage is 90% that I get less rifle XP for each kill than if my overall rifle percentage was 98%?

Or what do you mean exactly?

I find I get 49Xp for most recent rifle shots. before I saw 62, and 50+ alot. Was that because my overall percentage was higher and now it's dropped because of the stupid targets in Finland?

I was wondering how this number is calculated. Does it factor in range, or impact location, vitals etc? How is that XP determined? Just interested in weapon 'mastery' XP.
Old 01-26-23, 03:41 PM   #5
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
What do you mean by this? Are you saying if my overall rifle percentage is 90% that I get less rifle XP for each kill than if my overall rifle percentage was 98%?

Or what do you mean exactly?

I find I get 49Xp for most recent rifle shots. before I saw 62, and 50+ alot. Was that because my overall percentage was higher and now it's dropped because of the stupid targets in Finland?

I was wondering how this number is calculated. Does it factor in range, or impact location, vitals etc? How is that XP determined? Just interested in weapon 'mastery' XP.
No, I was talking of Classic. When you had fired 10 shots in all your matches, and missed three times, you preciisons core for that would be 70%. Any further shot event, miss or hit, would be calculated into that valuue. After 200 shots in the last 20 games you had 184 hits? Your precision with that rifle then would be 92%. It would break the statistics down even further for ditances, and whether the hit was lethal or not.

Classic kept track of just every statistic imaginable.

In COTW, things like callbre, ethical hunting gets calculated too. Use overkill calliorbe on a rabbit, and your trophy integrity drops, you get less moeny and a much smaller score. Drop the animals with nothign elss than seven rounds, and you see your socre suffering. Use a round of a matchign clalibre (measured ba "class"), and drop the animal in place, and you have higher trophy integrity and get mor emoeny,a nd more XP score and value. A long afterhunt was needed, or no vitals were hit, and more than two shots were fired and hit,l but did not kill? Scores drop again, the animal suffered, that is not wabted.ften shooting females will give you a little money to cover your box of ammo costs, but no XP at all: zero. We shoot bucks only.

The penalty system was more prominent in Classic, and is more inclusive, or subtle, in COTW. You get lounsihed not so much by being given active engages score effects, but your possible maximum score+money being reduced.

Note that bisons and buffalos canot be dropped with one hsot to the liung. You need a brain shot or a spine shot, the first to drop it in place indeed, the second to prevent it at least from charging at you.

Steam communit paage has an illustrated X-ray guide on vitals for every species. Newbies often are surprised how very deep at the chest they need to aim to hit the heart, many beginner shoot way too high, missing both heart and lungs then. Pigs I prefer to drop by brian shot, but make sure you choose a callibre that is sufficient to penetrate the skull bone. I onbly take them frontally, centered between the eyes and then a bit higher.

Neck shots in deer species are unsafe, too thing the target, too much sudden movement. Also , its not needed to take these high risk shots.

Wolves: only with a multi-round rifle, and a multiround pistol for the inevitable infight. I had it with wolves just three times, and every time I had to fire 8-10 rounds to get the pack off me. No time to reload. Plenty of dead or wounded wolves. Bloody mess!

Beware the widowmaker in high grass (African buffalos, water buffalos).

Last edited by Skybird; 01-26-23 at 04:00 PM.
Skybird is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-23, 09:57 AM   #6
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

I see, I misunderstood what you were saying.

I think for now I'm going to skip the trainer cheats, and just stick it out to 6000 rifle XP. Gives me a goal to chase and that's fine with me. I looked up how rifle score is calculated. One of the things is integrity as you pointed out.

So my question is, how does the range of suitable class for each weapon effect integrity? Let's take the .308 for example, which is the rifle I use the most. It is a class 4-8 weapon.

If I am targeting a whitetail for example, would a .243 be more integrity? In other words, even though the .308 is class 4, would a smaller class 4 cartridge (2-6 with the .243) be more ethical and result in higher integrity and therefore rifle score?
Old 01-27-23, 10:34 AM   #7
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Oh yeah, I wanted to add that after our discussion yesterday I started carrying the pimp gun and took a bison with it. I had not taken a single class 9 animal in my 55 hours so far. But this cannon gave me the confidence to stay in tight to that beast and take him. Usually I start beating feet when one of these is close.

Once I qualify for the .300 things will change. But this pimp gun gives me protection at close range I didn't have before. Thanks for bringing it up!
Old 01-27-23, 10:44 AM   #8
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
I see, I misunderstood what you were saying.

I think for now I'm going to skip the trainer cheats, and just stick it out to 6000 rifle XP. Gives me a goal to chase and that's fine with me. I looked up how rifle score is calculated. One of the things is integrity as you pointed out.

So my question is, how does the range of suitable class for each weapon effect integrity? Let's take the .308 for example, which is the rifle I use the most. It is a class 4-8 weapon.

If I am targeting a whitetail for example, would a .243 be more integrity? In other words, even though the .308 is class 4, would a smaller class 4 cartridge (2-6 with the .243) be more ethical and result in higher integrity and therefore rifle score?
Don't know, never tested it systematically, since I do not care.

I also play without TruRacks, because these make the antlers look hilarious at times. COTW has zero statistcs and awards attraction for me. If I get the money from a hunt that comes up for the ammo spend, I'm fine. And maybe, every couple of months a new tent for a new reserve. I prefer to restart where I last time left. That way I get aroun d and see more of the reserve.
Old 01-27-23, 10:46 AM   #9
Skybird
Soaring

What the heck is a pimp gun?
Old 01-27-23, 10:49 AM   #10
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Check out the last few posts from the previous page. It's the 454.