SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-10-22, 01:21 PM   #301
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Formula 1 will investigate claims that some spectators at the Austrian Grand Prix suffered discriminatory abuse.

Lewis Hamilton was one of those to call for action, saying he was "disgusted and disappointed" by the reports.

"Something must be done to ensure races are safe spaces for all," he added.

Formula 1's statement read: "We take these matters very seriously, have raised them with the promoter and event security, and will be speaking to those who reported them."

It added that the reported behaviour was "unacceptable and will not be tolerated".

Red Bull team principal Christian Horner said: "We are shocked to hear that there have been some incidents of abusive behaviour in the grandstands and the fan parks. This is completely unacceptable and we hope that security and the authorities deal with this swiftly as there is no place for it in racing or society as a whole.

"We value inclusion and want a safe space for fans to enjoy our sport."

Ferrari added in a Twitter post: "There is no room for abuse either verbal or physical against any group of people in sport. Therefore we stand together with F1 in stating that this behaviour is completely unacceptable."

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-22, 01:22 PM   #302
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Ferrari's Charles Leclerc passed title rival Max Verstappen three times on his way to a commanding victory in the Austrian Grand Prix.

Carlos Sainz was on course to make it a Ferrari one-two before he suffered an engine failure with 14 laps to go - the latest in a series for Ferrari.

Leclerc faced a tense final 10 laps with a sticking throttle, as Verstappen came back at him, but he held on.

Leclerc cut Verstappen's championship lead to 38 points, to revive his hopes.

And it moves him back ahead of Red Bull's Sergio Perez to second in the standings.

Lewis Hamilton took third for Mercedes after starting eighth for his third podium finish in a row as his season finally begins to come together. Team-mate George Russell followed him home in fourth place.

Old 07-10-22, 01:27 PM   #303
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 07-24-22, 01:34 PM   #304
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Charles Leclerc gifted Max Verstappen victory and a huge advantage in the World Championship by crashing out of the lead of the French Grand Prix.

The Ferrari driver, in need of a good result to keep his title hopes alive, lost control at the Beausset right-hander two laps after the Red Bull had made its first pit stop.

Verstappen's seventh win in 12 races gives him a 63-point lead with 10 races to go.

Lewis Hamilton, on his 300th Formula 1 start, took a strong second, and his Mercedes team-mate George Russell third and the final podium place after a frantic and bad-tempered fight with Red Bull's Sergio Perez in the closing laps.

Ferrari's Carlos Sainz was fifth, questioning his team's decision to make a second pit stop just after he had taken third place from Perez with 11 laps to go.

Old 07-24-22, 01:39 PM   #305
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 07-30-22, 12:26 PM   #306
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Mercedes driver George Russell stunned himself and Formula 1 with a sensational maiden pole position at the Hungarian Grand Prix.

The Briton pipped the Ferrari drivers Carlos Sainz and Charles Leclerc, while championship leader Max Verstappen was 10th with engine problems.

McLaren's Lando Norris was fourth, ahead of the Alpines of Esteban Ocon and Fernando Alonso

Russell's team-mate Lewis Hamilton was seventh, 0.765 seconds slower.

Hamilton's DRS overtaking aid failed on his final run. Before that, he had been less than 0.2secs off Russell on their first runs in the final session.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/62364083

Old 07-31-22, 07:15 AM   #307
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Sebastian Vettel: Lewis Hamilton & Fernando Alonso say retiring champion is a 'legend' of F1

Fellow multiple world champions Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso have paid tribute to Sebastian Vettel after he announced his retirement.

The four-time champion said on Thursday that he would step away from F1 at the end of this season.

Hamilton and Alonso, whose careers have paralleled Vettel's, both described him as "a legend of our sport".

And Hamilton praised Vettel's move towards activism, especially on the climate crisis, in recent years.

Hamilton said: "I am sad to hear he's leaving. I think he is one of the most impactful F1 drivers who has ever lived and I feel very proud to have been here in the time he was.

"He is the most conscious - I like to think I am up there with him, in terms of conscious of the impact we're having and what we can do with our platform.

"He has been such a great voice and I am really proud of him for that."

The seven-time champion also posted a personal message to Vettel on Twitter, saying: "Seb, it's been an honour to call you a competitor and an ever greater honour to call you my friend.

"Leaving this sport better than you found it is always the goal. I have no doubt that whatever comes next for you will be exciting, meaningful, and rewarding. Love you, man."

Alonso, who famously lost out in two close title battles with Vettel in 2010 and 2012 when the Spaniard was at Ferrari and the German at Red Bull, said: "Four titles and not only [a legend] as a driver, as a human being.

"He has very strong values and a very correct way of thinking. We will miss him. I will miss the battles on track.

"Our careers were very close together always, together with Lewis. We miss one of the three. But family and other things are probably in this decision so I wish him the best and a lot of happiness."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/62340559

Old 07-31-22, 07:19 AM   #308
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

I certainly won't condone this sort of treatment towards anyone but it doesn't surprise me.

Quote:
I got death threats after F1 title decider - Masi

Former race director Michael Masi says he received death threats following the controversy that saw Max Verstappen claim his debut world title last year.

The 44-year-old failed to apply the regulations correctly in a safety-car period at the end of December's final Grand Prix in Abu Dhabi.

It led to the Dutchman, 24, passing Britain's Lewis Hamilton when the race was restarted for one final lap. Mercedes' Hamilton, 37, had been on course to win an eighth world title.

"There were some dark days," Australian Masi told News Corp.

"Absolutely, I felt like I was the most hated man in the world. I got death threats. People saying they were going to come after me and my family."

An inquiry by motorsport's governing body, the FIA, found "human error" was responsible for the incorrect application of the rules in the 2021 title decider.

A first world championship victory for Verstappen denied Hamilton a record eighth title.

"They were shocking," Masi, who formally left the FIA earlier this month, said of messages he received on Facebook. "Racist, abusive, vile, they called me every name under the sun."

Old 07-31-22, 10:43 AM   #309
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Red Bull's Max Verstappen drove an outstanding race to win the Hungarian Grand Prix from 10th on the grid despite a spin costing the lead.

Verstappen passed title rival Charles Leclerc twice, raising fresh questions about Ferrari's race operations.

Red Bull's pit strategy also vaulted Verstappen ahead of pole-sitter George Russell, who lost out on second place to team-mate Lewis Hamilton.

Carlos Sainz was fourth and Leclerc sixth as Ferrari's season imploded.

The result left Verstappen with an 80-point lead over Leclerc with nine races remaining, an advantage that looks unassailable given Red Bull's steadiness and Ferrari's flakiness.

A race gripping from start to finish, featuring divergent strategies, and the constant threat of rain on a grey, windy and cool day, provided a perfect symbol of the season so far.

Verstappen was imperious in moving through the field from his lowly grid position, caused by engine problems, Red Bull solid and aggressive on their strategy, and Ferrari uncertain as they converted second and third on the grid to having neither driver on the podium at the finish.

Old 07-31-22, 10:48 AM   #310
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 08-28-22, 01:32 PM   #311
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Red Bull's Max Verstappen crushed the rest of the field to take a stunning victory in the Belgian Grand Prix.

The World Championship leader was in a class of his own as he fought quickly from 14th to take a firm lead by lap 18 and disappear into the distance.

Verstappen was a second a lap - sometimes more - quicker even than team-mate Sergio Perez, who completed a one-two for a dominant Red Bull.

Ferrari's Carlos Sainz held off Mercedes' George Russell to take third.

Old 08-28-22, 01:38 PM   #312
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 08-28-22, 02:29 PM   #313
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Red Bull's Max Verstappen crushed the rest of the field to take a stunning victory in the Belgian Grand Prix.

The World Championship leader was in a class of his own as he fought quickly from 14th to take a firm lead by lap 18 and disappear into the distance.

Verstappen was a second a lap - sometimes more - quicker even than team-mate Sergio Perez, who completed a one-two for a dominant Red Bull.

Ferrari's Carlos Sainz held off Mercedes' George Russell to take third.
The only thing I'd want to add to that is the rookie move Hamilton made ruining his race and very likely ruining another engine which will ruin his next race. It looks to me he isn't adjusting well to not having the best car and is getting desperate. He could have waited for a better opportunity to pass Alonso and possibly found himself another podium finish.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-22, 05:16 AM   #314
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

I personally think it is time he retired.

Old 09-04-22, 12:33 PM   #315
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 0

An unsurprising win for Verstappen in his home grand prix with Perez unable to keep the same pace proving Max is king this year. Perez still doesn't know when to back out and continues to blame other drivers for his bad judgement.

Mercedes looked really good and it would appear they have closed the gap to Ferrari. Russel forced a pit stop for softs during the last safety car giving him the edge over Lewis, who stayed out, costing Lewis a podium finish much to his consternation. Russell gets P2!

Ferrari! How do they manage to screw up so nicely time and time again? No left rear tire for Sainz on his first pit stop destroying his race which was further compounded by an unsafe release penalty at a later stop. Still, LeClerc manages to hold on to a podium spot in P3.

And what the heck was going on with Tsunoda? He pulls over thinking he has a loose wheel, gets told to continue on to a pit stop, has another tire change, comes out still with a problem, comes back in and some work gets done around the steering wheel etc. Meanwhile, Ferrari thinking there will be a safety car from the first Tsunoda stop, pits losing track position. That was salvaged when Tsunoda's second stop actually did cause a VSC. Weird.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote