SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

View Poll Results: E-reader or tablet
Kindle e-reader rocks ($69) ebooks only 1 25.00%
kindle fire tablet, more fun stuff than ereader 1 25.00%
Stick with your $1300 paperweight (lenovo yoga) 0 0%
Remember, you like having a physical book 2 50.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-13-13, 07:05 PM   #1
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90
Uploads: 0

Default E-reader or tablet?

I'm thinking about getting an "e-reader" kindle, but amazon has a pretty sweet deal on a kindle fire (tablet).
Do you have one any thoughts regarding these?

Just thinking outloud here.

E-reader, less expensive, less options.
tablet, more options than e-reader, but redundant cuz you have hybrid tablet/laptop.

Laptop not as discreet as tablet.
Old 08-13-13, 07:29 PM   #2
the_tyrant
Admiral

Downloads: 58

I suppose using your yoga in tablet mode is a bit too heavy for ya?

The advantages of e-readers vs tablets (in my opinion) are:

E-reader advatages:
Lasts forever on a charge
Light
screen looks good outside
significantly cheaper

E-reader disadvantages:
Only good for reading "books", no pictures, just text
Can't do anything but reading
Screen sizes are generally smaller
Your sources of content are pretty limited (can't read anything but published books, no comics or fanfic)

Tablet Advantages:
Huge selection of content
Color screen!
You can do much more than just reading (videos, pictures web browsing)
You can read things with pictures (magazines, comics, etc)
comes in huge variety of sizes (7 inch - 21 inches!)

Tablet Disadvantages:
significantly more expensive
screen is harder to seen in sunlight
battery life is much, much worse

PS: Tablets aren't that much more expensive to be honest. The Blackberry Playbook is only 99$. Its pretty bad, but hey, its solidly built, and "pretty bad" for a tablet is still pretty good for an e-reader.

PPS: Fold your yoga's screen back, and use it in portrait mode. If you can stand the weight, its a decently capable way to read. I use to read on a 5 pound + laptop, so if you can't stand the weight, all I can say is, Bro, do you even lift!

Last edited by the_tyrant; 08-13-13 at 07:42 PM.
the_tyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-13, 02:24 PM   #3
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Amazon's cookies are working. My email is bombarded with kindle ads.
Old 08-14-13, 05:00 PM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

I made that choice some weeks ago. First I got an e-reader, though none with e-ink. I aimed at reading pdf manuals. It was a very disappointing experience. I sent it back.

I then got a galaxy Note 10.1. Super choice. Reading pdf's of any formatting is no problem, the display resolution is fully sufficient, the documents at any zoom level are crystal clear and sharp, you do not note single pixels if you do not really examine the display closely - I have read for up to one hour without any problem to my eyes. Plus the thing can do so much more than just an e-reader. Also, you escape the Amazon-chain-ganging, if I may call it so.

I do a lot of surfing with it now, too, it is more comfortable than sitting at my desktop for that. I also use it for Chess, Abalone, and the like. I also used the options of having electronic maps with me on bike tours already.

Yesterday it also saved me. My PC did not boot due to - as I later found out - dust or a broken USB wire causing the USB system shortcutting. I would not have found out that information so qickly if I would not have had a second backup internet access.

I think e-readers sooner or later will disappear from the market again. Even their handling is not as comfortable as that of a tablet. Same for resizing pdf formats.

Tablet over e-reader any time! Books I prefer as printed editions, however. Neither tablet nor e-reader compares to fast turning pages in a hardcopy book when searching or wanting to compare different passages. Plus the fact that you do never own electronic books you have payed money for. You cannot give them away, and Amazon can delete them all by pushing a button. And they have demonstrated to do that if you travel for example to another continent, there want to use your Kindle to buy in the local Amazon store - and the fineprint then has told you that that not only is not allowed, but that it makes your e-library and rights void and deletes your account. Nice, eh?

E-books only when they are free. When they cost money, it is stupid to buy them.

Display qualities in sun light vary with devices. In direct sunlight, almost all LCD screen must surrender. However, the Note 10.1'S screen is said to be one of the best regarding reading possibility in bright conditions, it cna easily be chnaged. Battery life in normal room conditions is around 11-12 hours. However, Li-batteries are better not emptied, but you should recharge them if possible even at 90% capacity again, and bring them down to below 20% just every 6-8 weeks or so to reset the battery capacity sensor. Not dechragiung Lithium batteries too much if you can avoid it helps to increase their lifespan.

The Kindle has an advantage on battery, of course. Running several days or weeks without charging, depending on your reading habits.

P.'S. I know there are tablets with higher resolution than the Galaxy Note 10.1. However: does one really need that if you already do not note single pixels on the Note? The retina sucks much more power, the battery thus does not hold as long. And you need more of the CPU's power to run the display. The Note 10.1 also has 2 GB RAM - twice as much as most if not all tablets there are currently. I run X-plane and quite some complex stuff on it! It also offers multitasking and split screen action in two simultaneous windows, and it has an integrated, pressure sensitive pen: the brush in your painting app spreads the more the harder you press they key. If you consider the Kindle Fire, go all the way, its better results in the end: skip the Fire and go for the Galaxy. I love mine for sure.

Last edited by Skybird; 08-14-13 at 05:14 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-13, 05:49 PM   #5
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

If you're in the market for an e-reader still, I'd recommend a Kobo over Kindle, purely for the range of file types it supports - Kindle supports more than it used to but still not enough.
Old 08-15-13, 12:45 AM   #6
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Great input.

I'm looking at the kobo website now.
Old 08-29-13, 02:23 PM   #7
McBeck
Admiral

Downloads: 15

You are all missing a very important point.

Theres a major difference in the reading experience on a e-reader vs a tablet, due the fact that the screens are fundamentally different. Theres a reason for that. The e-ink experience is just better when you read for more than 30 min.

I have both used tablets and kindles and I would never go back to reading on a tablet.

"I like subcommanders...they dont have time for bull****!"

Proud member of the Subsim army of zombies
Becks website
McBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-13, 04:49 PM   #8
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

My wife reads with the Kindle app on both her phone and tablet and I just think staring at the illuminated screen wouldn't be great for the eyes, for reading I'd feel much better with an e-ink display.
Old 09-05-13, 04:29 PM   #9
Penguin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikimcbee View Post
I'm looking at the kobo website now.
HALT! Stop before you buy!
I also did consider buying the Kobo, but was quite pushed back when finding out about compulsary online registration and some other restictions.
I bought the PocketBook Touch Lux 3 weeks ago and used it extensively during my vacation. I'm quite happy with it, it reads a crapload of formats and has a very nice screen and a decent battery life. Much more customizable than the Kindle and the Kobo - e.g. it supports using your own fonts. The OS is based on Linux, so hopefully there is much more customization to come either by PocketBook or by modders.

The only downsize might be that the LEds at the bottom don't illuminate the whole area, so you have about 0.5cm with some darker spots when the lights are dim. It is not visible in the reading area when you use it vertically, but whenusing it turned by 90° this can annoy some folks - though it is possible to define the screen's display area. When the LEDs are at more than 30% power - the whole book is remarkably bright - this effect is nearly invisible. You might want to check it out for yourself or watch some vids before deciding.
Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-13, 06:18 PM   #10
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Default E-reader or tablet?

Have an Ipad latest generation and have read a ton of stuff on it. And it is great also for magazines, graphic novels and comics. You can modify the settings where it is fairly easy on the eyes. Not as good as a Kindlez-Kobo, but because of the diversity of things you can read with it, I like it much better.

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote