SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-22-13, 05:30 PM   #16
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Just an update on the state of things.

It began as an annoyance. It ended as a major battle.

Not going into details, I have reason to assume it is not the monitor, but the gfx card or HD. Too complicated to explain in two sentences. Then the ventilator of the gfx. turned loud, and the HD stuttered during booting. Both 2.5 years old.

I then wanted to reinstall an image once again, and learned the Acronis images were not working anymore, maybe something in the USB category of things, I noted erratic behavior with my 3.0 ports earlier. I wanted to use a very old Windows-made image next, and fkr that wanted to clean the hd, kill partitions, but Windows denied the option to do so, also denied to delete partitions when wanting to reinstall W7 from DVD, option greyed out. Tried again with old xp-disc, and then with even older w98-disc, but to no score. Finally, with partitions halve-formatted and not deleted, I used a windows-repair disc to install the old windows-images - and was denied for Windows did not recognize them on a external drive. I theninstalled the usb driver from the mainboard tool disc, but found out that having the driver for the external hd afterwards as an executable on stick is not good enough for windows, it wants those files all listed separately, especially one with some basic file list, if I understand it correctly.

well, that's it in brief, typing from a tablet. installation destroyed, 3 windows images and 6 Acronis images worthless, hardware partially still broken, nerves ruined, frustration on parade.

I ordered a new hd and a gtx660 additionally, and hope it is nothing with the main board. So, gfx, HD and monitor get replaced, two of these items do not last forever anyway, like brakes on a car, you have to replace them occassionally. Then manually doing the installation dance and tuning options and sims - I hate the idea, usually, for all stuff I want to have set up, having databases updated and such things, I'm busy for three days and more. Just lucky I have the time. But after having it done so often in the past 15 years, it has lost its fascination.

On the good side, it is an opportunity to do a through clean-up, and also to switch from FSX to P3D. SBP also needed a replacement, and some stuff could go that I did not need anymore and just cluttered the HD.

Still, I hate how this turned out. And not little money leaving my pockets again - and these are not the biggest. If the hardware replacements deleted the technical problems, at least I get a new and clean installation again then, on a not worn-out HD. - IF.

Skybird grounded - expect no flights soon.

exit:
the monitor is no ips, but a typical hd gamer screen by Asus for the mass market, amazon had it for 170 Euros and plenty of praise. GTX660 is with 2 GB and manufactured by Gigabyte, Toms Hardware reviewed it okay and it is in the middle of the price range for this card type, with low noise level, which is an important criterion to me, I am sensible to loud noise. HD is 1TB by WD, Blue-label, 6 GB/sec. SSD is desired, but not in the budget.

Last edited by Skybird; 09-22-13 at 05:49 PM.
Skybird is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-13, 04:31 PM   #17
RickC Sniper
Undetectable

Downloads: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_tyrant View Post
Did the moniter ship yet? Make sure it is an IPS monitor. Trust me, your eyes will love you for it.
I thought the IPS monitors were designed to get better viewing angles...meaning if you watch television from a side angle it is still bright.

If you plant your body directly in front of the thing, like you do when using a pc, what is the benefit?
RickC Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-13, 06:57 PM   #18
the_tyrant
Admiral

Downloads: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickC Sniper View Post
I thought the IPS monitors were designed to get better viewing angles...meaning if you watch television from a side angle it is still bright.

If you plant your body directly in front of the thing, like you do when using a pc, what is the benefit?
Here is an argument for IPS against TN:
http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/201...evolution.html

IPS is damned amazing. The colors on my Surface Pro is probably the best I have ever seen! A nice, bright IPS panel is probably the best investment you can make for you computer. The display quality is easily noticeable.

Now when that article was written, cheap IPS was still in the domain of no name Korean companies. My local Costco sells pretty damned good HP IPS monitors for less than 200 now.
Old 09-24-13, 04:20 AM   #19
Skybird
Soaring

the article makes no additional argument to the wider viewing angle and says that they become less expensive. however, I have seen ips panels in stores. I fail to see an additional, obvious image quality advantage at same screen size, only that the stability of colours and contrasts indeed is better when watching from the side.

But you can count on having to pay 30-40% more.

So its nice, but nothing to start a hype over. Maybe they become the norm over tft, that will be decided not by image quality, however (the difference is too small beyond the viewing angle thing), but price niveaus. The feature is more important for mobile platforms, I think. Its possible my Galaxy Note 10 has ips, some say so, others object, most seem to not know for sure. however, it has a very good display with a greater viewing angle stability than other tablets I held in my hand when buying, and yes - it is a benefit indeed. But for the monitor on my desk and me sitting reltively "stable" before it, I fail to see the need.

I had a 21 inch monitor 1650x1050 so far, it now becomes a 24 inch with 1980x1080. I hope I find an nVidia driver easily that work flawlessly with the few games I have and the new card. I still manually uninstall gfx drivers before installing new ones, the automatted procedure they claim to work now always has left remains and artifacts on my HD - a clean driver replacement it never has been. I hate to do that dance.

Any recommendations for driver versions above 302.xx that have gotten good reputation? For this card http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B009...110_SY165_QL70

Last edited by Skybird; 09-24-13 at 04:37 AM.
Skybird is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-13, 07:48 AM   #20
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29

Sorry I wasn't on lately, I would have offered some suggestions.

First - it sounds like either a hd sector failure or a overheated graphix card.

Glad you have a solution.

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-13, 12:34 PM   #21
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHaplo View Post
Glad you have a solution.
That remains to be seen...