SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-22-10, 03:47 PM   #706
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Quote:
This is a Huge pair of World War Two Japanese Imperial Navy Binoculars. These were removed from a Japanese battleship at the close of World War Two The brass tag indicates they were manufactured by Nikko and are model No. 20 and 20 x 3 size.
They weigh 40 pounds and are 26" long x 17" wide, the front lens opening is 6". The optics are clear with no bubbles cracks nor spots.
http://snyderstreasures.com/pages/optics.htm

found another :

THE SIZE OF THIS BINOCULAR IS 19 INCHES LONG BY 9 INCHES WIDE APPROX

THE MAGNIFICATION OF THESE JAPANESE BINOCULARS IS 15 x 80 WITH A 4 DEGREE FIELD OF VIEW

http://andysmilitarysurplus.com/inde...roducts_id=843

keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-10, 06:43 PM   #707
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltos01 View Post

THE SIZE OF THIS BINOCULAR IS 19 INCHES LONG BY 9 INCHES WIDE APPROX

THE MAGNIFICATION OF THESE JAPANESE BINOCULARS IS 15 x 80 WITH A 4 DEGREE FIELD OF VIEW
And here is a pair of 15X binoculars that are 8.46 long and 5 wide.

Magnification

15x

Brand

Swarovski

Dimensions (in)

2.8H x 8.46L x 5.04W inches

I am not saying they had these during WWII but simply that size is not the determining factor. The first number in binoculars is the magnification, the second is the diameter of the front lens element. So these both have the same magnification but very different sizes.
A lot of the "bigger" binoculars are only to accommodate larger lens elements to allow more light in for low light conditions. But that advantage will be lost in bright light because of the size of the exit pupil which should attempt to match the size of your pupil, and in bright light your pupil is smaller.

Quote:
When magnification and quality is equal, the larger the second binocular number, the brighter the image as well as the sharper the image. An 8x40, then, will produce a brighter and sharper image than an 8x25, even though both enlarge the image an identical eight times.
So the fact that the Japanese subs had large binoculars does not 'necessarily' mean they had more magnification. That would have to be researched to find out what the US wore around their neck compared to what was mounted on each sub.

I have been doing photography for about 35 years and when it comes to optics there are a LOT of things that come into play other than size.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-10, 12:55 AM   #708
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by peabody View Post
And here is a pair of 15X binoculars that are 8.46 long and 5 wide.

Magnification

15x

Brand

Swarovski

Dimensions (in)

2.8H x 8.46L x 5.04W inches

I am not saying they had these during WWII but simply that size is not the determining factor. The first number in binoculars is the magnification, the second is the diameter of the front lens element. So these both have the same magnification but very different sizes.
A lot of the "bigger" binoculars are only to accommodate larger lens elements to allow more light in for low light conditions. But that advantage will be lost in bright light because of the size of the exit pupil which should attempt to match the size of your pupil, and in bright light your pupil is smaller.

So the fact that the Japanese subs had large binoculars does not 'necessarily' mean they had more magnification. That would have to be researched to find out what the US wore around their neck compared to what was mounted on each sub.

I have been doing photography for about 35 years and when it comes to optics there are a LOT of things that come into play other than size.

Peabody
thanks, will try and do some more research on the IJN ones !

keltos

Old 05-15-10, 02:17 AM   #709
Admiral Von Gerlach
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 358
Uploads: 0

Checking in
Old 05-15-10, 08:42 AM   #710
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Hi keltos01 and Peabody, it's been a while!!

I've run across these photos of Japanese submarine lookouts and thought they would be of interest. What's important to note on the first photo is the large device in the left background. Something similar (but apparently not the same device) can be found in the other photos. As far as I can tell the device in the first photo on the right is the TBT (UZO) or whatever the Japanese called it.

What are they? I don't know!?!

BUT their big!!! I suspect nose hairs could be counted with 'em.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-10, 11:53 AM   #711
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
Hi keltos01 and Peabody, it's been a while!!

I've run across these photos of Japanese submarine lookouts and thought they would be of interest. What's important to note on the first photo is the large device in the left background. Something similar (but apparently not the same device) can be found in the other photos. As far as I can tell the device in the first photo on the right is the TBT (UZO) or whatever the Japanese called it.

What are they? I don't know!?!

BUT their big!!! I suspect nose hairs could be counted with 'em.
Hi CapnScurvy,
Very interesting photos. The first one looks like it might have been scanned from a newpaper the way the pixels are. If it was then it certainly wasn't "top secret" stuff.
The one on the left in pic one looks like it might have a flip up cover and the one on the right does not have the cover flipped up. And in the left one, the very right edge of it, looks very similar to the 'left side' of the one on the right.

Thank you for posting those.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-10, 10:52 PM   #712
Alfamemnon
Watch

Downloads: 15

Ubisoft did not do a whole lot of research before making Sh4. Some scources claimed that if submarines were in real life in similar condition than they were in SH games, they would not have been allowed to leave port for war patrol. I would be happy if at least the battery duration is made realistic in the subs of this upcoming mod.

Could it be possible to further take advantage of the fact you successfully implemented planes taking off from aircraft carrier? Such as make the Japanese submarine aircraft carriers for this game so that you could make planes taking off from your submarines deck attack enemy forces and/or scout with little or no danger to your own ship?

Also, please consider having German technology available at least in some form (in case Japanese technology sucks) but it would probably cost a little bit more renown. It is a fact that I-8 and I think the monsoon u-boats, too, managed to bring the Japanese some German blueprints and even ready equipment in spite of the fact sea voyage between German bases such as Bergen, Lorient, Brest etc and Japanese bases such as Penang, Surabaya, Singapore etc was so long and dangerous nothing less than IXD2, Kaidai or Junsen were able to do it. I heard that like uboats, Japanese submarines suffered heavy losses too (though not probably as heavy as 75%) so the IJN submarines were probably affected by the fact Allies had to develop very formidable ASW methods to deal with the uboat menace. This is what I think justifies high technology level for Japanese campaign too if possible to implement.
Alfamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-10, 01:51 AM   #713
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by peabody View Post
Hi CapnScurvy,
Very interesting photos. The first one looks like it might have been scanned from a newpaper the way the pixels are. If it was then it certainly wasn't "top secret" stuff.
The one on the left in pic one looks like it might have a flip up cover and the one on the right does not have the cover flipped up. And in the left one, the very right edge of it, looks very similar to the 'left side' of the one on the right.

Thank you for posting those.

Peabody

aren't those the huge 20 cm binoculars ? there is also an episcope like that of a tank on top of the tower, facing forward but able to turn. I thought that was the TBT/UZO

keltos

Old 05-16-10, 11:57 PM   #714
Admiral8Q
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 24

Wow, I just read through all the pages in this thread!

Took me about 8 hours! I for one am going to love this mod when it's ready. I always thought it would be cool to try out the Jap side for subs I've seen all the progress and speed bumps keltos and peabody have gone through since this was first undertaken. It was hard not to post halfway through reading every post, but it was very educational in the end. I know a LOT more about the IJN submarines now.

As for the optics, I think that Japanese navy watchmen were more well trained when it came to visualy spotting ships or planes. I supose it would be like manually spotting ships in the regular game before the watch does. In one of those videos posted in this thread they used some kind of eyedrops to dialate their pupils at night. So I think there was more factors at work then just technology.

Cheers!

Admiral8Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-10, 05:39 AM   #715
L.T
Torpedoman

Downloads: 25

Back in the days CFS2 came around a was one of the few that set out to become a Japanese pilot....In the years to come i flew out numbered with few fellow pilots against the Huge numbers of Hellcats and corsairs..

Then IL2 FB came and one more time i was found on Japanse carrier flying against the online aces of the allied side...

Il2 evolved and me with it, but stil flying under the banner of the 6th IJN..

SH 4 came around....waitet for the Uboot box, roaming the pacific and sometimes sailing a long those carriers i flew of from.....

Now i will have a chanse to sail with them not along with them....

You have no idea how much i apriciate your effort in this..

Tx for your work.....i can wait, simply because i know i soon have a chanse to join my Brothers, not on a DD on the surface but soon be a samurai of the deep....

And that will be my name for the Japanese career...SOD Oiinko

They feared the devine wind....they will soon fear.....the black katana....The sword of the deep...

Lars
Denmark
L.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-10, 04:28 PM   #716
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.T View Post
Back in the days CFS2 came around a was one of the few that set out to become a Japanese pilot....In the years to come i flew out numbered with few fellow pilots against the Huge numbers of Hellcats and corsairs..

Then IL2 FB came and one more time i was found on Japanse carrier flying against the online aces of the allied side...

SH 4 came around....waitet for the Uboot box, roaming the pacific and sometimes sailing a long those carriers i flew of from.....

Tx for your work.....i can wait, simply because i know i soon have a chanse to join my Brothers, not on a DD on the surface but soon be a samurai of the deep....

They feared the devine wind....they will soon fear.....the black katana....The sword of the deep...

Lars
Denmark

I loved CFS2 and while I preferred to fly the F4U because it was just great in that sim, I flew for IJN often and when flying against even F4F's but esp F4U and F6F , it was tough, took a lot to bring them down usually and they were fast!.Really wish Microsoft would get back to making CFS and do another in the Pacific, with the advancements made since it's release, could really be great.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-10, 03:08 AM   #717
L.T
Torpedoman

Downloads: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
I loved CFS2 and while I preferred to fly the F4U because it was just great in that sim, I flew for IJN often and when flying against even F4F's but esp F4U and F6F , it was tough, took a lot to bring them down usually and they were fast!.Really wish Microsoft would get back to making CFS and do another in the Pacific, with the advancements made since it's release, could really be great.
Get IL2 1946...you will never look back......

Im waiting for SOW / BOB that should get released this year...

But....damn i look forward to the japanese campaign......aaaaarghhh the wait....
L.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-10, 03:32 PM   #718
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.T View Post
Get IL2 1946...you will never look back......

Im waiting for SOW / BOB that should get released this year...

But....damn i look forward to the japanese campaign......aaaaarghhh the wait....
IL2 covers WW II in the pacific?
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-10, 12:52 AM   #719
rod_oil
Shore leave

Downloads: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
IL2 covers WW II in the pacific?
Aye-aye, sir!
http://il2-sturmovik.de.ubi.com/en/home.php
rod_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-10, 07:00 PM   #720
Captain_AJ
Crusty

Downloads: 324
Default Lars Of Denmark

Lars
Denmark Lars I commend you for flying in the difficult enviroment of cfs2 and il2

I do remember that japanese pilots were always outnumbered .. I was a virtual sqaudron leader of the 68sentai , If you google 68sentai there is still the remants of the cfs2 68sentai .. I had fun flying campaign battles vs the demons and the RAAf in aussie land in cfs2 , Back than we had monthly battles that were histroical and were fought in New guinea , there was always a cap 32 players in the room but software connections and glitches were always a battle in itself ,, I took a break from flying than I took half the american pilots and half of the japanese pilots and moved them to il2 . we re-started , went to il2 flying school and tried to re-start the sqaudron . after there was a known il2 sqaudron named 78 sentai (78 sentai was the sister sqaudron of 68 sentai), We banashed the sqaudron and came out again as the 244th sentai .. please see www.244sentai.org. however after many attempts and biased opnions of a larger yankie pilots we than said its time to cut it off , so now peridocally I do not fly , but now I sail in a keltos modded IJN sub , since that has occured its been alot easier than roaming the virtual sky looking for enemie black dots .. There are many pilots in IL2 that are very good at what they do, I like the laid back action of saling a sub and and having days upon days of nothing and than doing the fun thing of trapping allied ships , perhaps we can sail in the IJN flag in the future .. have fun and Keltos please keep up the good work .. Arigatou dozo

Captain_AJ is offline   Reply With Quote