SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-22-08, 05:29 AM   #16
UnderseaLcpl
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Had the same problem. I looked it up on google, found a forum that addressed it and listed registry values to delete. I wouldn't download any auto-fixes as some of them are malware as well.

I don't know anything about the registry or programming but I managed to get it to work.

Of course there is always factory restore if you have the disk.

Or you could get a mac

I stole this sig from Task Force
UnderseaLcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-08, 10:43 PM   #17
SUBMAN1
Rear Admiral

A good virus will watch the registry since it is typically executed from 2 or more locations. Try and delete one, and it will automatically replace it.

Same with BHO's. Delete one, and a good virus or Adware program will automatically replace it.

The only real way to delete one is to use software, or to do it manually from a safe mode or even a command prompt repair mode from your XP CD.

Spybot however will get rid of what it is you have issue with. Spybot however cannot repair any damage caused by whatever you have so if it has physically damaged something, not much you can do about it.

Skybird mentions he doesn't like repair mode since he doesn't trust it. That is nonsense. Repair mode however is a last resort since you will be loading patches again to fix holes.

-S
Old 07-22-08, 11:00 PM   #18
Peto
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 4

I agree with Subman. HijackThis is a great program but using it can be a buggar if you don't know how to read it. Safe mode is a good option as it turns off nonesential processes and frequently spyware/viruses are not active then.

On the other hand--if you don't have anything of great importance on your system (nothing you can't replace with a download or program reinstall) a wipe and reload isn't really a bad option. Sometimes it saves you time in the long run. Especially if you know what drivers you need to get your components working again. (Check Device Manager to get those details).

I've been fixing more malware problems lately than I've ever seen in years of computer repair. Oh--my 2 cents here--Norton isn't worth 2 cents. Once you're problem is resolved I'd recommend a different anti-virus program. I currently use AVG free version on my home system (www.free.grisoft.com) and it does a good job without making a huge foot-print on my computer's performance. If subman has a recommendation for anti-virus, take him seriously as well. I may not agree with all his political philosophies but I certainly respect his tech knowledge .

Good Luck!
Old 07-22-08, 11:06 PM   #19
SUBMAN1
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peto
...If subman has a recommendation for anti-virus, take him seriously as well. I may not agree with all his political philosophies but I certainly respect his tech knowledge ....
Thanks man!

By the way, just my two cents here on the political side - What makes the world both interesting and great is that we all have different viewpoints. If you thought exactly like me, or I thought exactly like you, we would be living in a very boring place....

Think about it.

-S
Old 07-22-08, 11:11 PM   #20
Peto
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBMAN1
By the way, just my two cents here on the political side - What makes the world both interesting and great is that we all have different viewpoints. If you thought exactly like me, or I thought exactly like you, we would be living in a very boring place....

Think about it.

-S
I don't have to. It's already another point we agree on :hmm:!

Peto
Old 07-23-08, 03:23 AM   #21
jpm1
Captain

Downloads: 9

try AVG anti rootkit (still free for now ..) if it doesn't work try Hijack this but you'll have to remove the recalcitrant program manually i don't show you the way to a tutorial as the only one i know is in french but you should find easily by typing google . this link can be useful too http://www.answersthatwork.com/Taskl...s/tasklist.htm
jpm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-08, 12:33 AM   #22
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

bump
Old 08-17-08, 12:47 AM   #23
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikimcbee
bump
It's still doing the same thing, except now I can't click on any files, or I get the message.

so I've plugged the hard drive in my new computer and I'm re scanning, then I'm going to do AVG. Norton blocks the virus, but it does not detect it. It's like its a 2 part virus.
Old 08-17-08, 12:48 AM   #24
silentrunner
Watch Officer

I might have just had a similar problem. On an older computer I was using the other day, I opened up the browser, and a program that was just called anti virus 2009 asking me to download. The window wouldn't close until I used the task manager. I restarted, and ran an Avast scan but nothing was found should I be more worried.

silentrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-08, 12:53 AM   #25
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentrunner
I might have just had a similar problem. On an older computer I was using the other day, I opened up the browser, and a program that was just called anti virus 2009 asking me to download. The window wouldn't close until I used the task manager. I restarted, and ran an Avast scan but nothing was found should I be more worried.
What I was getting was a window that said program error, you have corrupted files and you need to download our virus program (which is the virus). Beyond that I can't get on the internet, access my files. Norton says it blocked it, but when you scan, it comes up with nothing.
Old 08-17-08, 01:13 AM   #26
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Scan finished. Norton finds nothing
Old 08-17-08, 01:59 AM   #27
d@rk51d3
Sea Lord

Downloads: 193

deleted - double post.
d@rk51d3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-08, 02:00 AM   #28
d@rk51d3
Sea Lord

Downloads: 193

Are you doing all this in safe mode?

And have you disabled / wiped your restore points?
d@rk51d3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-08, 02:31 AM   #29
Stealth Hunter
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 19

Hey Niki, you are aware that Norton Anti-Virus is notorious (pun intended) for being a "back-door" program? That basically means that certain viruses and trojans can actually come through into your computer via Norton. Abandon it.

I personally use the Free Spyware Adware Scanner and Remover. Although you need to pay $30 bucks for it to actually be useful (it's really not free; of course you won't have to pay if you don't mind scouting around manually and finding the infected files and deleting/fixing them), it will scan for viruses and even trojans (surprisingly, they're not in the name).

It's worked great for me for several months now. I personally feel AVG is overrated and so is Avast!.

Here's a link to it:

http://www.programurl.com/-free-spyw...nd-remover.htm

Of course, if that doesn't float your boat, try PREVX-CSI (which you'll have to pay for IF you want it to do the automatic removal and fixing of infected files, just like the one posted above; it will scan, but that's it; I used it when I had that advertising virus/trojan enter my computer; made a thread about it in January I think it was).

Here's a link to it:

http://www.prevx.com/filenames/X1723...VXCSI.EXE.html
Stealth Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-08, 01:16 AM   #30
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Default Problem solved

AVG 1 Virus 0

Norton depth charged off my HD

News at 11

I discovered the hard way that Norton and AVG don't play nicely together. That took awhile to fix.

But after 2 hours of scanning, AVG found it.

Now time to put my old computer back together.

Last edited by nikimcbee; 08-18-08 at 01:02 PM.
nikimcbee is offline   Reply With Quote