SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Special Projects > Best of SUBSIM Nominations > BOSS Noms Archive
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-14-23, 07:00 AM   #61
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Onkel Neal has made a Best of SUBSIM nomination.
Nomination Category:
Quote:
Most Helpful with SH4 + Mods
Nomination basis: Nice assist.
Forum: Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific

Nominated Member: erahmig
Nominated Post: Link
Quote:
This is very strange. I thought I had turned OFF "No external view". I even tried deleting Documents\SH4, restarting the game, re-doing the realism settings again and ensuring "No external view" was off, restarting a campaign, saving the game, quitting the game, restarting the game, loading my saved game, and ... free camera was still disabled.

So, i poked around inside Documents\SH4. It turns out that all instances of GamePlaySettings.cfg somehow had

Code:
NoExternalView=true
instead of

Code:
NoExternalView=false
I changed all instances of GamePlaySettings.cfg so that "NoExternalView" was set to false, restarted the game and ... voila, free camera now works.

Now, if the guy who keeps saying "Passing thermal layer" while we are sitting in port, depth 0, speed 0, waiting to start the 1st patrol would be quiet I would be happy :) ...
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-23, 08:55 AM   #62
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Nomination Category:
Quote:
Funniest Post
Nomination basis: ahh hahaha, good one.
Forum: General Topics

Nominated Member: Rockstar
Quote:
Old 06-21-23, 08:39 AM   #63
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Nomination Category:
Quote:
Wittiest
Nomination basis: I like my laughs delivered dry and understated, good one!

Nominated Member: August
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
I wonder if the ticket-price will be refunded??!!'

Definitely, just like if your parachute fails the Army will give you a new one in exchange. :)
Old 06-21-23, 03:17 PM   #64
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Nomination Category:
Quote:
Outstanding Member
Nomination basis: Anytime Captain Jack Aubrey is quoted is a reason to nominate the post!

Nominated Member: Aktungbby
Nominated Post: Post Traumatic Tube Syndrome
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk View Post
The only way I would get on is if I was a barnacle.
No one who's been in a MRI machine 3 times in one year(prostate, diverticulitis, and stroke) would even dream of getting into this contraption!:O: but like your avater: " Lucky Jack Aubrey says: "What a fascinating modern age we live in"??!!
Quote:
For these depths we are looking at perfect spheres…to withstand such pressure,” he said. Any defect could cause a pressure hull implosion, which would take place in milliseconds and would be large enough to be picked up by seismometers that detect earthquakes, he said.
The craft's contact was lost 1 hour and 45 minutes into its descent; no such seismograph report has been recorded; but if it's in the bottom mud on its skids, the passengers cannot shift to one side to rock the lead pipe ballast off of the 'shelving' to give the craft ascent buoyancy imho...:hmmm:
Old 06-29-23, 06:35 AM   #65
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Nomination Category:
Quote:
Nomination basis: As always, right on target.

Nominated Member: propbeanie
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Jones View Post
I have two SH4 installs, one Steam and the other Game front (which shows how much I like the game). One install has FOTRSU and the other TMO. Fleetboat Interiors works fine with FOTRSU, but I get a freeze and a CTD with TMO. What am I doing wrong? I'm using the TMO version with TMO and I deleted my SH4 folder from User/Documents, btw, so it's not that.

Thanks.
It is easier to manage two copies of SH4 if you download and use MultiSH4 v1.5 (or use the copy included in FotRSU mod pack). You do have to make certain that the FileManager.dll in the SH4 game folder is write-enabled by right-clicking on it, choosing Properties from the context menu, and on the General tab it opens to, make certain the "Read-only" tick box is clear. Now run MultiSH4 from within your game folder, and in the little dialog box it creates, name a new Save folder name, such as FRS for Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate, or TMO for the Trigger Maru Overhauled, or whatever you want to name it. It cannot be over 3-characters in length, and you cannot use any special characters not allowed by the old DOS naming convention. Leave the SH4 named save folder for when you play the Stock game.

As to what KaleunMarco asks, that is really important for the Fleetboat Interiors - Officer's Quarters (FI-OQ) mod, in that in might not function correctly in regular TMO, since it was written for the Bubblehead1980 version. Also, make certain (if you have the newer Bubblehead1980 version) that you install the mod correctly and that it functions properly first, then add the FI-OQ to the mix.

When you post back to KM's question with which version of TMO you are using, also include the install path for your games please. That could also loom large in this. :salute:
Old 07-10-23, 06:18 AM   #66
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Nomination Category:
Quote:
SH3 Modder
Nomination basis: Worthy SH3 work.
Forum: SHIII Mods Workshop

Nominated Member: Ahnenerbe
Nominated Post: German U-Boats Compilation
Quote:

Hi, everybody!!
In advance I apologize for the translation by means of google as I will publish and in Russian.
I made this compilation three months ago for itself what to get rid of a heap of numerous spendthrifts and an overshoot one another (for convenience of use), but at the request of Russian-speaking captains I spread on www.sukhoi.ru (at present doesn't work), there I am registered under the name TKSS18 therefore at assembly there is my name, distinctive from the local. But I believe that it won't complicate, as an essence in the assembly.
Models of boats entered compilation type 9 from Wise and Kovall converted from Silent Hunter 5 of the boat type 7C and 7B, from Silent Hunter 4 type 18 remade in type 21 and as type 2 which model was processed by companion Kovall, as well as all are higher the converted works too from Kovall. All this I added with various practices of spendthrifts from such authors, as Anvart, Aces, Testpilot and many others, for what to all of them many thanks. I created new textures and skins and as still some things and amendments. It was tested by me on such gigamod's as GWX 3.0, CCoM 10.1 and a version drain, is known that others used assembly in WAC 4.1, complaints weren't and everything worked well. As the companion of Anvar1061 if that, and it helps with questions helped with testing.
Shortly about application. Skins will work only with these models. In the folder with textures it is possible to change for the frontal emblems, setting it the same name. Pennant for type 7C_1 as can be replaced on new, in the folder there are examples for replacement or creation of the new. That there would be no questions in GWX with display of models in game or the museum (textures can be black id because of the conflicts), it is necessary to establish FixAllSubGWX for a solution (remap id's in S3D) as this fix can be put and on other gigamod's was required or to make remap of conflict ai of boats most. As for assembly there are also other models of boats, and it is the late cabin 7B_1 and boat 7C41 model with the cabin 7C_3 from Kovall, and as model 9C40 with the cabin 9C_3 from Wise and Kovall. To put for a change on assembly top during use of these types of boats in game (at will). I in additives processed tools from Testpilot which didn't work about type 9 from Wise, there were departures from game, to use at will. I apply in readme archive in pictures on keyboard use commands.
Successful hunting! ! Yours faithfully Ahnenerbe, it is TKSS18.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Всем привет!!
Заранее прошу прощения за перевод с помощью google, так же опубликую и на русском.
Сделал данную компилляцию три месяца назад для себя, что бы избавиться от нагромождения многочисленных модов и перекрывания одного другим (для удобства использования), но по просьбе русскоязычных капитанов выкладывал на www.sukhoi.ru (в данный момент не работает), там я зарегестрирован под именем TKSS18, поэтому в сборке присутствует моё имя, отличительное от здешнего. Но я полагаю, что это не внесёт неясности, так как суть в самой сборке.
В компилляцию вошли модели лодок тип 9 от Wise и Kovall, конвертированные из Silent Hunter 5 лодки тип 7C и 7B, из Silent Hunter 4 тип 18, переделанный в тип 21, а так же тип 2, модель которого была переработана товарищем Kovall, как и все выше конвертированные работы тоже от Kovall. Всё это дополнил различными наработками модов от таких мододелов, как Anvart, Aces, Testpilot и многих других, за что им всем огромное спасибо. Мною были созданы новые текстуры и скины а так же ещё некоторые вещи и поправки. Тестировалась мною на таких гигамодах, как GWX 3.0, CCoM 10.1 и сток версии, известно, что другие использовали сборку в WAC 4.1, нареканий не было и всё работало хорошо. Так же помогал с тестированием товарищ Anvar1061, если что, то и он поможет с вопросами.
Коротко о применении. Скины будут работать только с данными моделями. В папке с текстурами можно менять на свои фронтальные эмблеммы, задавая им то же самое имя. Вымпел для тип 7C_1 так же можно заменить на новый, в папке есть примеры для замены или создания новых. Что бы не возникало вопросов в GWX с отображением моделей в игре или музее (текстуры могут быть чёрными из-за конфликтов id), нужно установить FixAllSubGWX для решения проблемы (потребовался remap id's в S3D), так же этот фикс можно ставить и на другие гигамоды или сделать remap конфликтных ai лодок самому. Так же для сборки имеются и другие модели лодок, а это поздняя рубка 7B_1 и модель лодки 7C41 с рубкой 7C_3 от Kovall, а так же модель 9C40 с рубкой 9C_3 от Wise и Kovall. Ставить для разнообразия по верх сборки в ходе использования данных типов лодок в игре (по желанию). Мною в добавок были переработаны орудия от Testpilot, которые не работали с тип 9 от Wise, происходили вылеты из игры, использовать по желанию. Прилагаю в архиве readme в картинках по использованию клавиатуры в командах.
Удачной охоты!! С уважением Ahnenerbe, он же TKSS18.

P.S. Finally I will repeat about about what I spoke above. My name is born only by compilation, on authorship of the spendthrifts used in it, don't apply (even on sobstvenny creations), I don't accept remunerations. I know precisely that such authors as Wise, Kovall and Anvart, have against nothing (with them more than once spoke about many things). To other authors of spendthrifts, and it is Aces, Testpilot, Flakmonkey, HanSolo78 and is possible still to whom, I express huge gratitude for their work, their works will continue the way in this compilation. Otherwise, for use of a flag of Kriegsmarine too it should ask someone permissions. Only at whom?
----------------------------------------------------
P.S. Напоследок повторюсь о том, о чём говорил выше. Моё имя носит только компилляция, на авторство модов, использованных в ней, не претендую (даже на собственние творения), вознаграждений не принимаю. Знаю точно, что такие авторы, как Wise, Kovall и Anvart, против ничего не имеют (с ними не раз говорили о многих вещах). Иным авторам модов, а это Aces, Testpilot, Flakmonkey, HanSolo78 и возможно ещё кому, приношу огромную благодарность за их труд, их работы продолжат свой путь в данной компилляции. В противном случае, за использование флага Kriegsmarine тоже пришлось бы у кого-то спрашивать разрешения. Только у кого?

Links:
TKSS18 German U-Boats Compilation.part1.rar or TKSS18 German U-Boats Compilation.part1.rar
TKSS18 German U-Boats Compilation.part2.rar or TKSS18 German U-Boats Compilation.part2.rar
U-Boat Skins.7z or U-Boat Skins.7z
New U-Boat Guns Fixed Reworked (for German U-Boats Compilation).rar or New U-Boat Guns Fixed Reworked (for German U-Boats Compilation).rar
U-Boat IXC 40.7z or U-Boat IXC 40.7z
U-Boat VIIC 41.7z or U-Boat VIIC 41.7z
U-Boat VIIB (Turm 1 Late).7z or U-Boat VIIB (Turm 1 Late).7z
German U-Boats Compilation Pictures Readme.7z or German U-Boats Compilation Pictures Readme.7z
FixAllSubGWX.7z or FixAllSubGWX.7z
Old 07-19-23, 12:16 PM   #67
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Catfish has made a Best of SUBSIM nomination.
Nomination Category:
Quote:
Post of the Year
Nomination basis: Think this post is an outstanding example how we identify as brothers in spirit, rather than nationalities ;)

Nominated Member: GoldenRivet
Quote:
You know... i used to post a lot more often here than i do these days, but its not for lack of visiting, because i do visit, but more so because my online life and my real life have shifted my energies in other directions BUT

i'll tell you this - what i always loved about SUBSIM (and still do) is that while our members come from Australia, Finland, Germany, New Zealand, Norway, the United States and many other places around the globe... I always got the feeling in interacting with all of my SUBSIM brethren - that while we are here on this forum, to some degree, we were less identified by our individual nationalities and more identified by our place in this world as Subsimmers!

When discussing one thing or another here with a member from Norway for example, i never thought of myself as an American and i never thought of them as Norwegian - i thought of us as subsimmers.

When i came here today, to visit the forums and lurk, I saw this thread title thinking there would be some neat thing that applies to the referenced member, or perhaps some sort of birthday or congratulatory message... instead, what i found was this drivel. Motivated by what i cant say.

Its posts like this that contribute nothing remotely constructive to the forum and certainly do not promote any degree of comradery in the group.

I'll have to agree with Neal... tasteless is what it is.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-23, 05:17 AM   #68
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

les green01 has made a Best of SUBSIM nomination.
Nomination Category:
Quote:
Most Helpful with SH5 + Mods
Nomination basis: improves silent hunter 5 twos
Forum: SH5 Mods Workshop

Nominated Member: GrenSo
Nominated Post: GrenSo's Submarine Environment
Quote:
After thinking for a while, just because I was already called as someone who doesn't know what he's talking about, I still decided to show first pictures of my GSE (GrenSo's Submarine Environment).
On the pictures you can see only a very small part of the changes, because besides the optical stuff I also worked on many other things, like the lighting, sound ambience, water, weather events, harbors, strength of the torpedoes and the cannon.

I was inspired by some modifications like TWoS (english and russian version) and modders like gap, vdr1981, boogieman335, Bstanko6, SteelViking, TheBeast, TheDarkWraith and many others, which were partly used 1:1 and partly as a template for my own changes*.

*all files created and edited by me have a hidden signature

Changelog:

v1.0 - first public release
v1.1 - small bugfix
v1.2 - new textures for TRA room of VIIA, B, C and C41
- alternative periscope and OBS view as add-on
v1.2.1 - bug fix in scale of periscope and OBS view
v1.2.2 - alternative clock with black face as add-on
v1.2.3 - change the subfolder structure for bug fixes
v1.2.4 - changed some textures in all submarines
- historical correct floor
- Radion R3 as alternative radio as add-on
- alternative gyro compass as add-on
- alternative torpedos (optic of G7e) in TRF room as add-on
v1.2.4a - reworked texture of the alternative torpedoes from version 1.2.4
- delete alternative gyro compass as add-on for non TWoS
v1.2.5 - small texture change in TRA room
- some new but not animated dails in DER room
- small color correction at alternative gyro compass add-on
- new relistic torpedo texture/color in UZO, periscope and OBS view when a torpedo is fired
- small adjustment of the chimney smoke at the merchant ships
- change submarine texture on sub system page with blueprint/construction plan
v1.2.5a - revision of the coloring of both compass variants
- switched dark version of the gyro compass to default one and the light version as alternative add-on
v1.2.5b - compass is now draggable on the top in heading view
v1.2.5c - fixed a bug with "out of sector" in external view
- fixed the bug with brocken texture of the ladder in CR
v1.2.5d - retracted
v1.2.6 - fix the bug of flickering ladder in QR2
- change position of the toilet in QR2 to historical correct position
- added additional boxes of food in QR1
- reworked texture of the ship flags to make them look more used
- folder structure of the add-on mods revised and the documentation refined
- reworked some textures in CR room
- a few minor tweaks and fixes
v2.0.1 - deleted the some add-on (gyro compass, Radione R3 and Stopwatch)** to have better compatibility with other mods
- deleted additional boxes of food in QR1
- deleted boxes of food and ladder in QR2
- folder structure of the add-on revised
- deleted reworked ship flag textures, because graphic errors can occur
- changed interior and exterior light have been undone
v2.0.2 - toned down night filter for the navigation map
- changed colors for axis (blue) and allies (red) terrain on navigation map
v2.0.3 - color correction from harbors on map
v2.0.4 - new textures for oxygen bottles in TRA room of VIIA, B, C and C41
- small texture changes in CT and QR1 room

** The deleted add-ons, some other files and also the additional boxes of food and ladder in QR1 and QR2 are avalaible as separat mods. This mods are:
- GrenSo's Stopwatch v1.1
- GrenSo's Compass v1.6
- Radione R3 v1.1 by GrenSo
- silentmichal's interior mod 2.0.3 by GrenSo
- Conus' Das Boot Crew Faces
les green01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-23, 03:53 PM   #69
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

propbeanie has made a Best of SUBSIM nomination.
Nomination Category:
Quote:
Funniest Post
Nomination basis: OK, double-entendre filled set of posts, with Ak baby closing it out with a Bang (sorry, couldn't help myself)... :fff:
Forum: Silent Hunter III

Nominated Member: Aktungbby
Quote:
...sadly putting 'finis' to the eel's big bang theory!:timeout::nope::dead:
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-23, 07:05 AM   #70
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Nomination Category:
Quote:
Outstanding Member
Nomination basis: Nice follow up to a question

Nominated Member: FUBAR295
Quote:
Philipp Thomsen's mod is available here :

https://maikhaas.synology.me:5001/fs...LIPP%20THOMSEN

That is all that is available.

Good hunting,
FUBAR295
Old 08-29-23, 07:08 AM   #71
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Nomination Category:
Quote:
Nomination basis: very detailed and helpful post

Nominated Member: Bubblehead1980
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Jones View Post
Finally (as in Finally) got it working on my new laptop (I think). Just a question--is every single torpedo supposed to be either a dud or sail peacefully under the enemy ship even though they're set for surface? I can see 70%, as it was with the Mark 14 in RL, but 100%? I'm setting them all on Low-Contact. Any hints?

Thanks. Great mod though.

Something I always disliked about stock and event he best mods, was it was far too easy to rack up tonnage in early war (1941-mid 1943), the torpedoes were just far too reliable. Thus, when I set out to created my mod for TMO,
I put a lot of time and effort to get a result that would in most cases keep tonnage at realistic levels by mimicking torpedo performance of early but also throughout the war and making sure was not so easy to rack up tonnage, to simulate. I conducted a lot of research and then quite a bit of testing. I'd estimate I spent a solid month and a half testing on the torpedo aspect of the sim.

Magnetic Detonators..

The magnetic detonators by default were tied to wave height (silly), so if player was firing in calm or mild seas, magnetic torpedoes were quite reliable. Then if firing in choppy or heavy seas, they tended to prematurely detonate more, but were still far too reliable.

I toyed with the settings so wave height was not the factor, then toyed with the percentage chances until I found, based on a research, a realistic level of
premature detonations that were random.

The result was what I desired, much as real life Captains and crews, player has no idea if the magnetic detonators are going to function. Really adds tension and aspect to game. The disappoint of doing an approach and firing solution perfectly, then torpedoes prematurely detonate, really brings a new aspect to this sim and mirrors reality much as possible.

Dud Torpedoes
--------------------

The contact detonators were far too reliable as well, especially when set to magnetic and the torpedo impacted the target vs running below.

I had to play with the impact angles and dud chance percentages to obtain historical performance.

Deep Running Torpedoes
---------------------------

Another issue was torpedoes running deeper than set. In Stock and most mods can "game" this from start, knowing this was a problem (where it was no definitively proven until late 1942 and issue not resolved in MK 14 until early 1943).) so they set torpedoes to minimum depth and magnetic detonators would do the rest.

I altered the max depth for deep runs and also the chances to gain historical results. Its random, some will run deeper than others, sometimes not at all.

These issues combined ensure historical performance of torpedoes and make for a immersive experience. Sometimes, extremely frustrating. Yet, when do finally sink even one ship, its quite rewarding.
Old 09-09-23, 06:21 PM   #72
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3215

fitzcarraldo has made a Best of SUBSIM nomination.
Nomination Category:
Quote:
SH5 Modder
Nomination basis: For the environment and interior mods for SH5 TWoS, and the great support.

Quote:
New version v2.0.7 is ready for download. Updated first post.

Change log:
- closed toilet lid in QR2
- fixed a graphic glitch of a pipe in toilet in QR2
- added the add-on "GSE - QR1 + QR2 Fix" to get GSE version of QR1 and QR2 if you use mods that overwrite the files Room_QR1.GR2 and QRoom_QR2.GR2
fitzcarraldo is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-23, 06:32 PM   #73
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Nomination Category:
Quote:
Mod/Modder of the Year in General
Nomination basis: For the constant improvement of the graphics in SH5.

Quote:
New version v2.0.5 is ready for download.

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=6344

Changelog:
- added ham, ribs and salamis to caboose and CR
- added additional cookware in caboose
- closed toilet lid in QR2
- fixed a graphic glitch of a pipe in toilet in QR2

Old 09-10-23, 12:00 PM   #74
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Nomination Category:
Quote:
SH3 Modder
Nomination basis: My vote for one of the better modders of SH3. His version of NYGM is a must have alongside OneAlex GWX.

Nominated Member: Fifi
Quote:
Others examples of new skins for NYGM MFM ships:

Time consumer but worth it :yeah:

:Kaleun_Salute:
Old 09-17-23, 04:20 PM   #75
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Nomination Category:
Quote:
Mod/Modder of the Year in General
Nomination basis: GrenSo continues to add great (and difficult to make) graphics addons for SH5.

Best modder of 2023, for sure.

Quote:
New version v2.0.8 is ready for download. Updated first post.

Change log:
- added curtains for the bunks in QR2
- reworked curtains in QR1
- new texture for all curtains in QR1 and QR2
- added pictures in QR2
- fixed the graphic bug of the red button of the hydrophone so it is visible again