SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-15-21, 05:06 PM   #151
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
To attract a female partner, male capuchin monkeys will urinate in their hands and then rub it thoroughly into their fur.
That basic primate behavior actually worked for me too! The real pisser is: I no longer have any hair to rub it into!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-21, 05:17 PM   #152
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Getting older useless fact
#3. You care less about what other people think

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-21, 05:21 PM   #153
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Quote:
Getting older useless fact
#3. You care less about what other people think
made easier... 'cause most of 'em don't!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 01-15-21, 06:18 PM   #154
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

In 1938 William Stuart-Houston wrote an article "Why I hate my uncle"

Well, that was his new name that he used after serving in WWII. In 1938, his name was William Hitler and he was the half-nephew of Adolph.

Hitler served in the US Navy from 1944-1947 and was wounded in battle.
Old 01-15-21, 07:03 PM   #155
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
made easier... 'cause most of 'em don't!
meh, whatever

Old 01-16-21, 05:40 AM   #156
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Years ago I lost my clue and spent about five minutes looking for it. I never found it.

...its with Col. Mustard in the Conservatory, right next to the candlestick...

<O>
Old 01-16-21, 07:06 AM   #157
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Uploads: 13

You can't hunt camels in Arizona.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-21, 09:35 AM   #158
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

The basic components of a door knob are the knob rose, shank, spindle and knob top

Old 01-16-21, 10:22 AM   #159
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

In the 1970s, Mattel sold a doll called "Growing Up Skipper." Her breasts grew when her arm was turned.

Uh.. yeah, no problem with that idea
Old 01-16-21, 12:47 PM   #160
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Why not?

https://kjzz.org/content/3185/camels...20and%20Turkey.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-21, 02:26 PM   #161
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
While we'd hope you wouldn't hunt down a camel even if you did see one, you should know that in Arizona it's actually illegal, according to the Maricopa County Bar Association. And while this might seem like a useless law, it was once totally necessary. That's because camels did, in fact, populate the Arizona desert back in the 1800s after they were brought to the States by the U.S. Army.

Make sure to leave camel-hunting out of your summer plans this year. It’s still illegal in the state of Arizona. https://maricopabar.org/index.cfm?pg...blogEntry=4992

Old 01-16-21, 02:27 PM   #162
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

The inventor of Pringles is buried in a Pringles can.

Old 01-16-21, 02:56 PM   #163
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Oh the short lived TV show "Police Squad!" you can tell the number of the episode by counting the number of trash cans knocked down by Dreben.
Old 01-16-21, 03:10 PM   #164
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Icon8 THIS IS NOT A USELESS FACT!!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Quote:
While we'd hope you wouldn't hunt down a camel even if you did see one, you should know that in Arizona it's actually illegal, according to the Maricopa County Bar Association. And while this might seem like a useless law, it was once totally necessary. That's because camels did, in fact, populate the Arizona desert back in the 1800s after they were brought to the States by the U.S. Army.

Make sure to leave camel-hunting out of your summer plans this year. It’s still illegal in the state of Arizona. https://maricopabar.org/index.cfm?pg...blogEntry=4992
Just saw the rerun on the Western Channel of 'Death Valley Days' "Camel Train" episode and again on the old Maverick show " Relic of Ft Tejon" with James Garner https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...est-180956176/
Quote:
In 1860, then Lt. Col. Robert E. Lee used camels on a long-range patrol. He provided great reviews of the camels' capabilities, but information provided from his reviews may have been ignored with the onset of the Civil War.

CIVIL WAR ENDS THE EXPERIMENTS

Early in the Civil War, Confederate forces captured Camp Verde along with the resident camels. However, they did not use the captured animals for any major operations during the war.

A second camel flock that had been moved to Camp Tejon, California, remained in Union control. It was transferred to different posts throughout the war because no one could think of a mission for them.

Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton, unaware of the camel experiments, saw the camels as useless and ordered them to be sold. The camels in California were sold by the end of the war. The remaining camels that were recaptured from the Confederates at Camp Verde were sold in 1866. Many camels were abandoned by new owners or escaped into the wild.

In 1885, Douglas MacArthur (who went on to serve 52 years in the military and hold the top position in the Army) was living at Fort Selden, New Mexico, and recalled seeing a camel. Reports of alleged camel sightings continued to be recorded until the 1940s.
A likely reason for the failure of the camel experiment was that the Civil War was a very mule- and horse-centric conflict. Most of the war was also in the east, where railroads, rivers, and roads were the dominate supply routes.

Another reason the camel experiment failed could have been that its major supporters were Confederates. Jefferson Davis was president of the Confederacy, and Henry Wayne was a brigadier general in its army. The Union likely ignored the great camel review written by Robert E. Lee in 1860 because of his association with the Confederacy as well.
If not for the Civil War and the broken continuity of camel advocates, camels may have been fully integrated into the Army in the southwest. They proved their worth and would have been a valuable asset in the numerous garrisons and conflicts in the west following the Civil War.
Given their proven abilities, camels would have improved logistics in the rugged southwest during conflicts and garrison resupply operations. The success of camels in French, British, and other armies throughout history appears to validate the Army camel experiments. Its failure was not caused by the camels' lack of capabilities.
MOREOVER, this Company's trailer logo was a common sight in my Trukkin Daze!!

Old 01-16-21, 03:47 PM   #165
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Quote:
While we'd hope you wouldn't hunt down a camel even if you did see one, you should know that in Arizona it's actually illegal, according to the Maricopa County Bar Association. And while this might seem like a useless law, it was once totally necessary. That's because camels did, in fact, populate the Arizona desert back in the 1800s after they were brought to the States by the U.S. Army. [...]
Ok, thanks
Quote:
So i have to erase this year's travel plans hunting camels in Arizona.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote