SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-03-24, 09:47 PM   #5851
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0313 View Post
How do you set up whatever it is you set up in order for the game clock to jive with the day and night? So you aren't getting sundown at midnight and things of that nature?
That falls back to the Base Time 2018 thingie from Front Runner a few years ago. We initially tried to use v-sync set on in the game, but that causes jello water, and is not recommended. The nVidia Profile Inspector can be used to set the card to approximate a 30fps for the video card, which is what the game expects from DirectX v9.0c. That will keep the game clocks synced together the best. Refer to Post #87 for Front Runner's 'modern' card settings. The newer AMD (ATI) cards might have similar functionality in them with a utility app in them. The Intel onboard graphics had a way to do it a few years ago, but I haven't attempted to do so with the newer versions. The big thing is to avoid full-time 1x TC and you won't have an issue. By the same token, as with SH3, it seems that 128x TC is the "safe" max, but you really shouldn't drift too much if you mix the TC level, don't do too much of it, and do a good bit then of 1x game play. This was another reason we limited the max TC in FotRSU to 2048x, and recommend not going over 1024x. SH4 is an old game written for a DirectXv9.0c Library 30fps computer, and computers have been more than capable of surpassing that for a good while. Think "old PCI buss speed", and that's when this game was written...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-24, 02:29 AM   #5852
Fearless
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 340
Uploads: 1

Just wondering @propbeanie, Will there be a pre-war start added to FOTRSU?

System Specs: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8 Core 16 Thread CPU, 3.8GHz Base Clock, 4.7GHz Boost, 105W TDP, 32MB L3 cache | MSI GeForce RTX3060Ti 8Gb Graphics | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32Gb (2x16Gb) 3200 MHz CL16 DDR4 Ram | Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe SSD 1TB | Seagate Barracuda 2.5in 2TB HDD | AOC QHD 165 Hz FreeSync HDR curved 31.5in Monitor | ASUS ROG Strix LC 240 ARGB AIO Liquid CPU Cooler White Edition | ASUS ROG Strix Gold 750W Modular Power Supply | Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB Tempered Glass Mid Tower Case White.
Fearless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-24, 02:35 AM   #5853
BBwalk
Watch

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
There will be more 'visible' slicks added for the next version. It would be difficult to add them to the current v1.8 without breaking something else.
Awesome, looking forward to the next release when it's ready.
BBwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-24, 05:18 AM   #5854
J0313
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1786

Quote:
That falls back to the Base Time 2018 thingie from Front Runner a few years ago. We initially tried to use v-sync set on in the game, but that causes jello water, and is not recommended. The nVidia Profile Inspector can be used to set the card to approximate a 30fps for the video card, which is what the game expects from DirectX v9.0c. That will keep the game clocks synced together the best. Refer to Post #87 for Front Runner's 'modern' card settings. The newer AMD (ATI) cards might have similar functionality in them with a utility app in them. The Intel onboard graphics had a way to do it a few years ago, but I haven't attempted to do so with the newer versions. The big thing is to avoid full-time 1x TC and you won't have an issue. By the same token, as with SH3, it seems that 128x TC is the "safe" max, but you really shouldn't drift too much if you mix the TC level, don't do too much of it, and do a good bit then of 1x game play. This was another reason we limited the max TC in FotRSU to 2048x, and recommend not going over 1024x. SH4 is an old game written for a DirectXv9.0c Library 30fps computer, and computers have been more than capable of surpassing that for a good while. Think "old PCI buss speed", and that's when this game was written...
Thanks Prop
J0313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-24, 01:13 PM   #5855
ArditoCorsaro
Planesman

Downloads: 511

how i can change this on the cachalot class conning tower?^ the watchcrew remained with the older porpoise class mast position during battle station... (that will be the most correct since these old v boats had a lower periscope shirt and mast, this one is more similar to that of the tambor and sargo classes,but it's ok, only i want to raise up the watch crew to the right position XD), what file should i touch? Open the attachment to see what's the problem.

EDIT: IN TMO when i had the conning tower upgrade bug, i simply did cheat changing the activeplayeruserunit.cfg file, in the section of the conning tower, with a new career one, replacing the bugged parts, but this time with the cachalot conning tower i don't know where to put my hands. The file look a little bit diverse. I tried to replace the cachalot tower with that of a porpoise class, to put the watch crew in the right position during battle station.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg er.jpg (16.1 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by ArditoCorsaro; 03-05-24 at 03:15 PM.
ArditoCorsaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-24, 06:13 PM   #5856
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0313 View Post
Thanks Prop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArditoCorsaro View Post
how i can change this on the cachalot class conning tower?^ the watchcrew remained with the older porpoise class mast position during battle station... (that will be the most correct since these old v boats had a lower periscope shirt and mast, this one is more similar to that of the tambor and sargo classes,but it's ok, only i want to raise up the watch crew to the right position XD), what file should i touch? Open the attachment to see what's the problem.

EDIT: IN TMO when i had the conning tower upgrade bug, i simply did cheat changing the activeplayeruserunit.cfg file, in the section of the conning tower, with a new career one, replacing the bugged parts, but this time with the cachalot conning tower i don't know where to put my hands. The file look a little bit diverse. I tried to replace the cachalot tower with that of a porpoise class, to put the watch crew in the right position during battle station.
For those curious, this is what he is seeing:

FotRSU is very different in this regard. Both the Cachalot and the Tench classes have the conning towers "welded" to them, and are found in the NSS_SubName files in the sub's folder. Navigate into "Game \Data \Submarine \NSS_Cachalot" and open the NSS_Cachalot.dat file. Look for these three nodes:

The figure shown for the "Y" Translation should be close to correct for all three nodes. There are three nodes there, and all three need the correction. Various shifts use one or the other postion. This has been corrected in the next release.

Old 03-05-24, 08:35 PM   #5857
ArditoCorsaro
Planesman

Downloads: 511

thank you very much! i have only one problem, the guy on the right, it's ok with your values but the other guy on the left, when in normal station it's ok, in battle station he keep to be below, why?

EDIT: I RESOLVED! IT WAS THE THIRD GUY ON THE LEFT THE PROBLEM, NOW THEY WATCH AT THEIR RIGHT PLACE! THANK YOU AGAIN!

Last edited by ArditoCorsaro; 03-05-24 at 08:47 PM.
ArditoCorsaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-24, 08:25 PM   #5858
BBwalk
Watch

Default And so it begins...

FotRSU with Rubinis 3D Clouds...

Old 03-12-24, 10:03 AM   #5859
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Default Screen Resolution Question

My lovely wife bought me a beautiful new monitor with a native resolution of 3440x1440. While it is great for pictures, at my age it's not so great for reading text, including the text in SH4-FOTRES-U.

The game window does not fill the whole screen, no matter which in-game graphics setting I choose from those available. It is distracting and takes away from the immersion I used to enjoy with a full-screen game.

I was able to reset my monitor's resolution to 1/2 its native values, so now it is 1720x720. This makes virtually everything easier for my old eyes, but I still can't find a game resolution that gives me the full screen I'm looking for. The best I can do so far is to choose 1280x768, which comes close, but no cigar.

My question is, can a user go into some file and change the available in-game resolution options? It does offer a 1720x1440, but I want to use 1720x720. Any way to accomplish that?

Thanks in advance!

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-24, 02:40 PM   #5860
propbeanie

Realistically, no. There is a fellow that has tried editing some files for SH4, but I was not able to find his thread as of yet. Grenso over in the SH5 side of things replied to another fellow with an ultra-wide screen, and pointed him at Post #4 - SH5 on Ultrawide screen?, but that might be SH5-specific. There are several attempts over in SH3, but those would definitely not work with SH4. Near as I can tell, the SH4 game can do a 4:3, or a 5:4 or a 16:9 resolution. Nothing else 'natively'. All the utilities you might be able to find for an ultra-wide set-up is "fooling" the game into a display resolution.

I have a 32 inch 4K (3840x2160) 16:9 monitor for my Windows 10-64, and I have the screen set at that, with a 125% "zoom" and large icons, and the desktop is fine. Lot's of real estate to work with also. However, doing SH4 at that is not good on my eyes either (not even the 2k 2560x1600). I cannot read the gauges at those sizes... So I keep my screen resolution for Windows, but choose 1920x1080 for the game itself. I have to set the SH4.exe Properties to "Windows XP SP2" Compatibility, and "Disable fullscreen optimizations". On the "Change high DPI settings" button, I have "Override high DPI scaling behavior" and Scaling performed by "Applicatioin".

Now, you have close to a 21:9 resolution (31:13??), so you will not be able to "fill" the screen with the game without extra software, which as mentioned, sometimes works, sometimes does not. I would go ahead and run your display at what you want your desktop at. "Native" is best, but you might not want to mess with that Windows "zoom" stuff either, and it might complicate things with the zoom when in SH4 also, which can sometimes (sometimes... sigh) be 'fixed' with that "Program DPI at the top of the High DPI page. You would set that to "I open this program" - but I have run into issues using that also... Anyway, set your Windows resolution, then run the game. Go to the display Options inside the game, and set it to 1920x1080, but also set the "Windowed Mode". That way, you should get a 16:9 screen that is scaled-up to your screen height, but will not fully cover the width. You will most likely have to noodle with the SH4.exe Properties though. But that is about the easiest way to go...

Old 03-12-24, 05:15 PM   #5861
Fearless
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBwalk View Post
FotRSU with Rubinis 3D Clouds...

I have it installed myself but for me they are too low in the sky.

System Specs: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8 Core 16 Thread CPU, 3.8GHz Base Clock, 4.7GHz Boost, 105W TDP, 32MB L3 cache | MSI GeForce RTX3060Ti 8Gb Graphics | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32Gb (2x16Gb) 3200 MHz CL16 DDR4 Ram | Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe SSD 1TB | Seagate Barracuda 2.5in 2TB HDD | AOC QHD 165 Hz FreeSync HDR curved 31.5in Monitor | ASUS ROG Strix LC 240 ARGB AIO Liquid CPU Cooler White Edition | ASUS ROG Strix Gold 750W Modular Power Supply | Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB Tempered Glass Mid Tower Case White.
Old 03-13-24, 04:38 AM   #5862
BBwalk
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless View Post
I have it installed myself but for me they are too low in the sky.
I agree they do look too low. They can also appear a bit too white/bright at night time. Despite the issues I still like them

Hopefully they can be improved upon for later versions but they are definitely a step in the right direction.

Now if only we could have SH5 graphics with SH4!
Old 03-13-24, 09:18 PM   #5863
Fearless
Ace of the Deep

Again i’m At a loss. after 9 Patrols, I return to base which is Brisbane. I enter port and cannot end patrol. What a nuisance. No more missions as per message either. Have I wasted all this time?
Not happy.

Old 03-14-24, 12:24 PM   #5864
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless View Post
Again i’m At a loss. after 9 Patrols, I return to base which is Brisbane. I enter port and cannot end patrol. What a nuisance. No more missions as per message either. Have I wasted all this time?
Not happy.
it is possible that your home base has moved.
what is the date and what boat-type are you driving?

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-24, 02:29 PM   #5865
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

Quote:
Realistically, no. There is a fellow that has tried editing some files for SH4, but I was not able to find his thread as of yet. Grenso over in the SH5 side of things replied to another fellow with an ultra-wide screen, and pointed him at Post #4 - SH5 on Ultrawide screen?, but that might be SH5-specific. There are several attempts over in SH3, but those would definitely not work with SH4. Near as I can tell, the SH4 game can do a 4:3, or a 5:4 or a 16:9 resolution. Nothing else 'natively'. All the utilities you might be able to find for an ultra-wide set-up is "fooling" the game into a display resolution.

I have a 32 inch 4K (3840x2160) 16:9 monitor for my Windows 10-64, and I have the screen set at that, with a 125% "zoom" and large icons, and the desktop is fine. Lot's of real estate to work with also. However, doing SH4 at that is not good on my eyes either (not even the 2k 2560x1600). I cannot read the gauges at those sizes... So I keep my screen resolution for Windows, but choose 1920x1080 for the game itself. I have to set the SH4.exe Properties to "Windows XP SP2" Compatibility, and "Disable fullscreen optimizations". On the "Change high DPI settings" button, I have "Override high DPI scaling behavior" and Scaling performed by "Applicatioin".

Now, you have close to a 21:9 resolution (31:13??), so you will not be able to "fill" the screen with the game without extra software, which as mentioned, sometimes works, sometimes does not. I would go ahead and run your display at what you want your desktop at. "Native" is best, but you might not want to mess with that Windows "zoom" stuff either, and it might complicate things with the zoom when in SH4 also, which can sometimes (sometimes... sigh) be 'fixed' with that "Program DPI at the top of the High DPI page. You would set that to "I open this program" - but I have run into issues using that also... Anyway, set your Windows resolution, then run the game. Go to the display Options inside the game, and set it to 1920x1080, but also set the "Windowed Mode". That way, you should get a 16:9 screen that is scaled-up to your screen height, but will not fully cover the width. You will most likely have to noodle with the SH4.exe Properties though. But that is about the easiest way to go...
Props, Thank you for your detailed input. I have "settled" on having my monitor set to half of its max resolution, and found the in-game reso per my original post. At least I can read everything!

Thanks again.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote