SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > Sub Command, Fleet Command, & Jane's 688(I)
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-10-15, 11:38 PM   #1
Avimimus
Swabbie

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0
Default Tactics for dogfighting in the Alfa / 705?

I was wondering if anyone had tactics for using the Alfa at speed (and what is actually plausible)?

I've been experimenting. At 43 knots sustained speed most torpedoes (even 55 knot ones) can't run it down. ASROC falls behind it, as do depth charges. So long as you are approximately headed away from an enemy you seem to be relatively safe. So theoretically you should be able to run strait at the closest enemy, fire your torpedoes and then turn around to flee - then repeat until all enemy ships are destroyed.

Unfortunately, passive sonar suffers from washout so completely that it is basically useless (so you don't know who is shooting at you - or if there are 8 torpedoes one mile behind - following you around like they are baby ducklings following their mother). So, you are piloting blind based entirely on a 'theory' of where the enemy torpedoes are coming from.

In fact, active sonar doesn't seem to be working. I have it on continuous and I passed within a couple of kilometres of an OHP frigate without registering its position on the active sonar? Is this realistic?

Thanks,

P.S.
Also any tips on fighting once you are at these speeds. Is it true, as I assume, that everyone can hear you at these speeds - even at depth?
Avimimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-15, 08:30 AM   #2
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

I don't have much experience playing or fighting Alfas, but the consensus is that they were always very noisy haha. At a top speed of 43 knots, your minimum safe distance from a 55 knot torpedo is 5.7 nm (formula: Torpedo's max range - (Torpedo's max range / Speed of Torpedo * Your max speed), round up a little for conservatism)

If you get engaged at that distance or beyond, the enemy torp won't be able to catch up. Now, this is for the crazy stock range of 26 nm for Mark 48s, so I'm assuming the mod you're playing has reduced ranges, so just short of coming right up and tapping someone on the shoulder, yeah, no one's torp is really going to catch you.

Your theory sounds pretty plausible, I'm just not sure if the Alfa's sensors are sensitive enough for you to pick someone up and then start running at them, launch weapons, and run away. I'd probably try some realllllly silent stalking (1-2 knots, or even stopped), wait for someone to come around and then launch on them and boogie. I'm not sure what the Alfa's capabilities are for torpedoes, but I feel like most of its loadout is meant as anti-surface since that's what they were designed for as interceptors.

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-15, 04:36 PM   #3
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Downloads: 68
Uploads: 7

the shoot and scoot method that you are trying will not work, as soon as you pass around the 7 knot mark you light up like a Christmas tree however here is one you probably didn't think of

Once you detect the enemy and you know that he knows your there and fires off a torpedo or two, head directly for the torpedo down the line of fire, in MP chances are the other player has not armed the torpedoes properly either they run long shallow or wide, your chance to make him run by making him run he forgets about the torpedoes.

Your closing speed is 98knots so in 3 minuets you will travel 4.9nm which by that time the torpedo should have ran past you there is no point firing at an alfa that is beyond 10nm given time over distance the torpedo will probably expire before the alfa does

Find out about Museum Ships here: https://www.museumships.us/

Flickr for all my pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/

Navy general board articles: https://www.navygeneralboard.com/author/aegis/
Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-15, 06:54 PM   #4
jadervason
Bosun

in which game can you play as the Alfa?
jadervason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-15, 07:34 PM   #5
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome back!

jadervason! after a long silent run!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-15, 06:13 AM   #6
jadervason
Bosun

It's only been five years. My reactor doesn't even need refueling (but the crew is getting frisky)
jadervason is offline   Reply With Quote