SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-06-20, 03:10 PM   #781
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Be careful sneezing in public. Corona can kill more than just one way!

August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-20, 03:36 PM   #782
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
I will take your advice and find the right mask, but I can't imagine a world where we will all have to wear one.
Neither do I imagine such a world. I dont want to imagine it.

Do like Diesel subs: approach on the surface (get to a centre of possible risk, say a doctor's place or a supermarket, without wearing the mask ), attack the target from below surface (wear the mask while being in the place and being at risk), escape on the surface (no mask needed again once you got out of the risky situation or location). If you act with discipline regarding your hands not touching your face (smearing infections), this way you should be relatively safe and also extend the living time of the filter material.

I do not know how it is in the US, but over here in Germany you cannot get masks anywhwere anymore. I mean legally, without stealing them in hospitals. Same is true for ethanol, isopropyl alcohol, hand desinfectants: not in stock anymore.
Old 03-06-20, 03:44 PM   #783
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by em2nought View Post
The way I sweat here in Florida I probably shouldn't bother with a mask as it would be soaking wet within a short time frame anyway.
Probably, but then you may have temperatures beyond 30-33°C already (I do not know Florida at this time fo the year)? If so, Corona virusses do not like these temps and die much sooner. Low temperture and moisture-rich environment: good for the virus. High temps beyond 30-33°C , and dry climate: bad for the virus.

But beware, man-to-man infection via breathing works better in dry climate since then the moisture from your breath can travel easier through the dry air, not being hindred by the moisture drops of a very moisture-enriched air around. A dry place means its difficult for the virus to survive outside a body environment, but the situation still can be highly infectous.

Last edited by Skybird; 03-06-20 at 05:22 PM.
Skybird is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-20, 04:18 PM   #784
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

OMG I drive by one of these everyday

or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-20, 04:39 PM   #785
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Its simple math the more you test the lower the CFR.

Zinc supplements may help

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 03-06-20 at 05:01 PM.
Rockstar is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-20, 04:41 PM   #786
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Masks are not good for anything.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-20, 05:07 PM   #787
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Masks are not good for anything.

Ein Satz mit X, Catfish: Das war wohl nix.

Old 03-06-20, 05:14 PM   #788
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

I've got around 350 masks of different kinds.
Bought them over the past several years for demolition work.
Old 03-06-20, 05:17 PM   #789
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

People keep telling me to take my mask off because Halloween is over. I wonder what that's about?

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-20, 05:19 PM   #790
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Its simple math the more you test the lower the CFR.

Zinc supplements may help

18:50 ff

Maintain a normal level of Zinc, since an undersupply with Zinc does harm again, that si what I conclude form the video. But additionally raising Zinc levels beyond normal levels (not answering the problem of how to get Zinc into the cell) seems to not help. So the recommendaiton is: do not be deficient in Zinc below normal level. But that Zinc does anything positve if you eat additional supplements, the video more or less openly denies.
Old 03-06-20, 05:20 PM   #791
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

News just said there MAY be new possible cases in Ohio.
And I've been in and out of Cleveland several times in the last 2 and a half weeks!

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2020/...dh-update.html
Old 03-06-20, 05:20 PM   #792
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
I've got around 350 masks of different kinds.
Bought them over the past several years for demolition work.

Filter level? Masks for craftsmen usually are FFP1 or FFP2 only. For biological hazards, you need FFP3. (The norms may be called different in the US.)
Old 03-06-20, 05:29 PM   #793
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Filter level? Masks for craftsmen usually are FFP1 or FFP2 only. For biological hazards, you need FFP3. (The norms may be called different in the US.)
I have a variety of masks. Some are approved to wear doing Mold abatement.
Some are for dangerous fumes. Others are simple dust filters.
Old 03-06-20, 05:34 PM   #794
Traveller
Captain

Downloads: 89

In Italy, 778 new confirmed cases. 49 people died from coronavirus on Friday. Their highest single-day increase in deaths so far.
Quote:
The death toll from novel coronavirus in Italy surged today, marking the highest daily increase since the start of the virus outbreak in the country. Angelo Borrelli, head of the Italian Civil Protection Agency, said today that 49 people had died in the last day, bringing the country wide death toll to 197.

The total number of confirmed cases in Italy rose by 778 on Friday, bringing the total number in the country to 4,636.

Borrelli said the median age of the people who have died from the virus in Italy is 81 years of age.
44 people confirmed to have coronavirus across New York.
Quote:
At least 44 people have been confirmed to have the coronavirus across New York, Gov.

Andrew Cuomo said at an afternoon press conference.

The majority of these cases are related to the Westchester lawyer, Cuomo said.
Eight of those confirmed cases are in Westchester County and three are in Nassau County, he said.

Cuomo said at least 4,000 people are under a "precautionary quarantine." This means they were in the proximity of someone that may have tested positive, returned back from travel from a level 2 or 3 country and aren’t showing symptoms.
There are now 79 confirmed cases of coronavirus in Washington state, and 14 deaths.
Quote:
Washington state health officials are reporting that there are now 79 cases of Coronavirus in four counties in the state, according to the state's Department of Health website.

King County, which includes Seattle, is reporting 58 cases. Snohomish County has 19 cases. Grant and Jefferson counties each have one case.

Evergreen Heath announced that its 12th novel coronavirus patient has died at its hospital in Kirkland, Washington.

This raises the coronavirus death toll in Washington state to 14, including two past coronavirus fatalities reported at other locations in Washington.
US CDC says older adults should “stay at home as much as possible” due to coronavirus.
Quote:
Amid a coronavirus outbreak in the United States, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention posted new guidance on its website, encouraging older people and people with severe chronic medical conditions to “stay at home as much as possible.”This advice is on a CDC website that was posted Thursday.

The CDC says early data suggests older people and people who have severe chronic medical conditions like heart, lung, or kidney disease are at higher risk for more serious illness from the novel. coronavirus. The CDC says older people are twice as likely to become seriously ill if they become infected with the virus.

Some context: This advice from the CDC comes as two top infectious disease experts with ties to the federal government have advised people over 60 and those with underlying health problems to strongly consider avoiding activities that involve large crowds, such as traveling by airplane, going to movie theaters, attending family events, shopping at crowded malls, and going to religious services.
Another previous Grand Princess cruise passenger is now infected.
Quote:
A sixth person who was previously aboard the Grand Princess cruise ship that voyaged last month from San Francisco to Mexico is confirmed to have been infected with novel coronavirus.

The person, who did not feel well upon arriving home from the cruise, is a resident of Ventura County in Southern California, according to Ventura County Public Health. The patient has since remained at home with mild symptoms, according to county officials, only leaving to receive medical treatment.

The patient’s spouse, who also remains under home quarantine, was also on the cruise but does not have symptoms.
https://edition.cnn.com/world/live-n...hnk/index.html

Tesla CEO Elon Musk says ‘the coronavirus panic is dumb’ as tech peers shift to remote work.
Quote:
Tesla CEO Elon Musk said Friday that people are overreacting about the deadly COVID-19, while health officials across the world prepare for a possible pandemic.

“The coronavirus panic is dumb,” Musk said on Twitter to his more than 31 million followers. Musk does not have a background in medicine or virology.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/06/tesl...c-is-dumb.html

The snake-oil salesman has spoken!

Last edited by Traveller; 03-06-20 at 06:04 PM.
Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-20, 05:50 PM   #795
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Some of you have mentioned S and L-strain

so I made a search and found this article

Quote:
The differences between the two identified strains are tiny. In fact, they can’t really be considered to be separate “strains”, says Jones. And many of the genetic differences won’t affect the production of proteins, and so won’t change the way the virus works, or the symptoms it causes, he says. One is not more deadly than the other.
https://www.newscientist.com/article...e-more-deadly/

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan