SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-18-20, 03:13 AM   #46
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapuhy View Post
So, I did the test and indeed it seems saving ship files is system-sensitive

Here's exactly what I did:
- I ran rendering test for files you sent me: all OK
- then I changed speed of FBML from 20 to 15 and back to 20 to make sim file "red"
- saved sim file
- ran the rendering test again, this time I game CTD's at Japanese Subchaser

I wanted to see it it's just my ships so I reverted back to your FBML files and repeated the procedure this time with stock Bismark. Again, after resaving sim file on my computer I got CTD at Japanese Subchaser.

So, for now, it seems the only reliable way to ensure any new mod is TWoS compatible is to send you the mod files to resave on your system
This is very strange indeed but it's the way it is... I'd really like to hear Jeff's opinion regarding this...

Quote:
Here's exactly what I did:
- I ran rendering test for files you sent me: all OK
- then I changed speed of FBML from 20 to 15 and back to 20 to make sim file "red"
- saved sim file
- ran the rendering test again, this time I game CTD's at Japanese Subchaser
...and if you "skip" the subchaser, then the game will CTD on some other unit. If you skip that random unit as well, then the appearance of some next random unit will CTD the game, and so on...

Last edited by vdr1981; 09-18-20 at 03:22 AM.
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-20, 03:42 AM   #47
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
...and if you "skip" the subchaser, then the game will CTD on some other unit. If you skip that random unit as well, then the appearance of some next random unit will CTD the game, and so on...
Yes, the subchaser is first of ctd-inducing units but I'm not sure they are random. I'll try experimenting but my impression right now is that there's a group of .dat format ships that would always cause ctd after any change to any gr2 unit that requires resaving is done on different computer than yours.

I also wonder what would happen if I resave, say, Bismark and japanese subchaser. Would it also cause ctd or render normally until first of these problematic units that was not resaved on another computer is rendered?

Quote:
I'd really like to hear Jeff's opinion regarding this...
Me too. I remember back in my Fairmile thread (when I tried to make Fairmile's custom weapons in .dat format) there was an issue (and it was Jeff who made me aware of it) of Goblin generating random ID's for nodes from the file name as opposed to SH3 where those ID's were assigned permanently and would crash/cause issues when two units with the same ID for a node were rendered together. I wonder if current issue has roots in something similar.

Last edited by kapuhy; 09-18-20 at 04:41 AM.
kapuhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-20, 04:59 AM   #48
tonschk
Admiral

Downloads: 172
Uploads: 0

Amazing, great work and thank you!
tonschk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-20, 03:12 PM   #49
vdr1981
Navy Seal

To add to the confusion kapuhy, the game is still full of sim, zon, val and other controller files which aren't last saved by me. We still have stock files on some units and equipment, various files from different mods ect...Still, we can pass our rendering test with them?!

Until I have discovered this, the game was full of "subchasers" but at the moment when I resaved controller files of playable submarines, the CTDs dropped by something like 80%.

There is also "something" in Kiel harbor which can "squeeze" out hidden problems, and that's why it is important part of the rendering test...
Old 09-19-20, 12:33 AM   #50
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

WOW!! Sometimes dreams DO come true! Thank you for your hard work and research.
Old 09-19-20, 07:00 AM   #51
vdr1981
Navy Seal

The biggest draw back with the type 104 (coastal vessels) is the lack of sonarman's ability to report them. These sound contacts are completely ignored by the game. I tried to add new category reserved only for somewhat bigger coastal ships in order to separate them from simple fishing boats, but the game wont let me do it... It seems that these stuff are hard codded by the game...
Old 09-19-20, 01:14 PM   #52
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Allright guys, I updated download links in the first post. There are two separate downloads now - full pack, for non-TWoS users, and separate "patch" download which just updates content previously included in TWoS 2.2.20 to most up-to-date version. This patch has been fixed by vdr1981 to ensure compatibility with TWoS.

Besides adding the new Raised Quarterdecker ship, I fixed smoke in all vessels to match their propulsion:

and added additional info to recognition book entries for every ship, including some info on their design, history, layout and in some cases tactical advice on how to efficiently sink them:

Old 09-19-20, 02:15 PM   #53
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Great work Kapuhy, thank you very much!
Old 09-26-20, 04:39 PM   #54
Ashikaga
Commodore

Downloads: 31

Wow, beautiful mod. Will install it as soon as I upgrade but first want to finish this game on 2.2.7 which runs fairly stable on my rig. (Hate that I should start a fully new campaign when upgrading since I like the one I am doing now due to non savegame compatibility issues).

And, since it looks like you are a great 3d designer, could uou perhaps work on a playable type IX for in the game (with type VII interior would be fine) only downside would be the lacknof one torpedo tube astern since that is not hardcoded in the game afaik. Vecko do you know if I am correct?

I would LOVE a playable type IX in the game.

OLtzS Ashikaga.

Last edited by Ashikaga; 09-27-20 at 09:26 PM.
Ashikaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-20, 05:23 AM   #55
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikaga View Post
Wow, beautiful mod. Will install it as soon as I upgrade but first want to finish this game on 2.2.9 which runs fairly stable on my rig. (Hate that I should start a fully new campaign when upgrading since I like the one I am doing now due to non savegame compatibility issues).

You can upgrade from 2.2.9 to 2.2.20 but you can't from 2.2.8 to 2.2.20. I thought that my note on the update download page was clear enough.

Quote:
And, since it looks like you are a great 3d designer, could uou perhaps work on a playable type IX for in the game (with type VII interior would be fine) only downside would be the lacknof one torpedo tube astern since that is not hardcoded in the game afaik. Vecko do you know if I am correct?

I would LOVE a playable type IX in the game.

OLtzS Ashikaga.

Hardly...We all do but only few people here realizes how much of a undertake that would be. I stopped dreaming about this long time ago...
Old 09-27-20, 06:26 AM   #56
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Quote:
great 3d designer
I absolutely need to put this in my resume

More seriously - thank you for your kind words, but firstly I'm just an amateur playing around with Blender in his free time, and secondly, playable IX in this game would be a huge undertaking for any single modder. If this was a question of "hey, we have a dedicated team working on this project and looking for people to help" I'd volunteer in an instant, but doing it on my own is well outside realm of possibility.

Quote:
The biggest draw back with the type 104 (coastal vessels) is the lack of sonarman's ability to report them. These sound contacts are completely ignored by the game. I tried to add new category reserved only for somewhat bigger coastal ships in order to separate them from simple fishing boats, but the game wont let me do it... It seems that these stuff are hard codded by the game...
That's a bummer... sadly, I lack the knowledge of campaign files to offer suggestions. Perhaps it would be possible to "free" one of unit types by assigning all its units to similar type (for example, merge "super battleships" with "battleships") and then use freed up type for new units?

Last edited by kapuhy; 09-27-20 at 06:46 AM.
Old 09-27-20, 09:33 PM   #57
Ashikaga
Commodore

Quote:
You can upgrade from 2.2.9 to 2.2.20 but you can't from 2.2.8 to 2.2.20. I thought that my note on the update download page was clear enough.

Hardly...We all do but only few people here realizes how much of a undertake that would be. I stopped dreaming about this long time ago...
Ad 1:
Sorry Vecko, still on 2.2.7, just checked.

Ad 2: Having dabbled in Blender, Maya 6.5 and 3dSmax I know full well how incredibly time consuming it is and how difficult. Hell I still cannot make a simple shape, texture it and lightmap it let alone attach attributes to it hahaha.

Also tried Zbrush. I think 3d designing is not for me.

I do print 3d items though on a resin printer. Still thinking of one day converting a game 3d file to a printable " stl file hahaha.

OLtzS Ashikaga
Old 09-27-20, 09:39 PM   #58
Ashikaga
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapuhy View Post
I absolutely need to put this in my resume

More seriously - thank you for your kind words, but firstly I'm just an amateur playing around with Blender in his free time, and secondly, playable IX in this game would be a huge undertaking for any single modder. If this was a question of "hey, we have a dedicated team working on this project and looking for people to help" I'd volunteer in an instant, but doing it on my own is well outside realm of possibility.
Someone was working on a Type IX once :

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=233811

Maybe he has some files you could use, saves a lot of work, or if he is still active you might combine forces.

OLtzS Ashikaga
Old 09-29-20, 04:20 AM   #59
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Someone was working on a Type IX once :

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=233811

Maybe he has some files you could use, saves a lot of work, or if he is still active you might combine forces.

OLtzS Ashikaga
I'm afraid that mkiii's project is abandoned. He isn't visited the forums for several years now...

Last edited by vdr1981; 09-29-20 at 06:59 AM.
Old 09-30-20, 12:25 PM   #60
skin-nl
KapitainLeutnant

Downloads: 242

Great work kapuhy