SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-09-13, 06:16 PM   #46
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
Yes, but problem is that stock model doesn't have any boxes for periscopes or torpedo tubes.
Adding them is quite easy (see below)

Quote:
I don't know which controller controls periscope movement, from where they're taking damage in the first place?
This is a bit complex actually. Both periscopes are located into data/Objects/Sensors/UBoot_Sensors.GR2, and they are linked through their CamUserData controllers in UBoot_Sensors.cam to a second cam file, data/Library/cameras.cam, where all game camera settings are stored.

In any case, adding the appropriate damage boxes to the two scope objects through UBoot_Sensors.zon, should be enough to make them vulnerable.

Quote:
What are parents objects for torpedo tubes, i cant put them to the main object(gr2) ,it will cause CTD.
From the wpn_SubTorpedoSys controller, I know that torpedo tube functionalities are linked to the torpedo door models located in data/Submarine/NSS_Uboat7*/Submarine Parts/Room_EXT - Torp Doors + Anim.GR2. This file has not zon file attached, so you should create one, and add damage boxes to it for each door.

Quote:
I know which controller do deck gun movement but i don't know how to link it with damage box, deck gun doesn't have it's own .zon file. Also, torpedo doors animation doesnt have it's own .zon file... I'm pretty much lost here...
- Take any zon file (or any other binary file for that matter: despite the different file extensions, they all have pretty much the same file structure).

- Copy it to the correct location and rename it appropriately. Using the deck gun as an example, you should have a Deck_Gun_GE88mm.zon file located in data/Objects/Guns.

- Open the file in Silent3ditor and delete all its controllers.

- Open Deck_Gun_GE88mm.GR2 in Goblin, merge it to the newly created zon file, and add the new damage boxes as you would do normally
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-13, 03:15 AM   #47
tonschk
Admiral

Downloads: 172
Uploads: 0

Quote:
And...No more sailing away after kiss from the torpedo...:P Maybe i should slow down sub's sinking little bit more?

Thank you Something I always liked in SH3 was the view of rising levels of water flooding (in each compartment) from the whole longitudinal cross section of the SH3 submarine
tonschk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-13, 11:02 AM   #48
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sober View Post
Sure Sober,TY! everything related to the goblin editor is needed...

@ Gap, you are the savior!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
cture).

- Copy it to the correct location and rename it appropriately. Using the deck gun as an example, you should have a Deck_Gun_GE88mm.zon file located in data/Objects/Guns.

- Open the file in Silent3ditor and delete all its controllers.

- Open Deck_Gun_GE88mm.GR2 in Goblin, merge it to the newly created zon file, and add the new damage boxes as you would do normally
Actually ,i tried to copy and rename other .zon files before but without use of silent3deditor and i didn't have any success. Now i made it for the deck gun! I hope i'll have luck with other equipment too...The main problem for me is that i still can't understand this "controller" concept quite enough, i never met it before...But we're on the track after all...

Just tell me one more thing, which controller do not belong here?

Last edited by vdr1981; 09-10-13 at 11:19 AM.
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-13, 12:55 PM   #49
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Also, Room_EXT - Torp Doors + Anim.GR2 doesn't have it's own .sim file...Does this mean that i need to create one sim file with one wpn_SubTorpedoSys controller for each tube hatch? Something like this?

Old 09-10-13, 01:57 PM   #50
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
@ Gap, you are the savior!

a few more head-ups:

- many objects are formed by separated parts, and they are linked together hierarchically. For U-boat guns we have generally a fixed base (fitted on the deck), the mounting/pedestal (which rotates around its y axis) and the gun itself (rotating around the x axis) which, on turn, is often split in a "body" (including the breech and the back part of the gun) and one or more muzzles. There can also be other smaller parts, but we can ignore them. When adding damage boxes to a gun, you can link it to its root (the fixed base) and make it to envelop the remaining parts or, better, you can give each part its own box with a peculiar damage zone set in it. If, for instance, the mount had a shield, you can assign to it a zone with an higher AP setting than other parts, thus protecting them from enemy fire. Moreover, boxes will move together with their parent objects, thus better envelopping the whole object.

- no matter how many boxes you have assigned to a gun (or to any other SH5 object), model parts which are lower hierarchically will be destroyed when one of the parts containing them, i.e. their parent(s), are destroyed; this becomes evident when you give hierarchically high objects a zone which is tagged as 'destructible=yes': when their HP's reach 0, they will be ripped off together with their children objects.

- you can link a box to a non-child object, so that, when the box is detsroyed, both the parent object and tje linked object are destroyed.

Quote:
Actually ,i tried to copy and rename other .zon files before but without use of silent3deditor and i didn't have any success. Now i made it for the deck gun! I hope i'll have luck with other equipment too...
There is a another way to remove unwanted controllers: open a GR2 or a dat file into Goblin Editor, and merge the newly cloned binary file to it. Goblin will warn you that some controllers didn't find their owner objects; this is because there will be an ID's mismatch. The unused controllers will be listed as "lot controllers", and deleted when you save the file.

Quote:
The main problem for me is that i still can't understand this "controller" concept quite enough, i never met it before...But we're on the track after all...
For our purposes, we can define a controller as group of closely related properties, controlling the way an object works or interacts with other objects in the SH5 world. Most controllers have one or more configurable parameters, whereas others are not configurable. Controllers must be assigned to 3d objects and/or to particles in order to be applied in game, and when their owner objects are destroyed, they stop working. Objects and particles are stored into dat or GR2 files. Their controllers are located into binary files with various extensions. The most common ones are:

- .zon: contain controllers whose function is to control the way an object interacts with other object, giving or receiving damage from them;

- .dsd: used for sound controllers;

- .cam: used for camera controllers (firts person views, scope views, gun sights, etc);

- .fx: used for linking special effects to an object;

- .val: used mostly for ships wake controllers;

- .prt: used for linking an object to a second object in another file;

- .sim: this is the most widely used file type, and it can contain a big variety of controllers whose function is generally to set the way an object moves, behaves or works.

One last note: every object, particle or controller got an unique id and a parent id (you can see them more easily by opening one of the aforementioned files in s3d). This is the way they are linked to each other and referred to in game. Rarely node/bone names are used instead. When you merge two files in Goblin Editor, it sorts automatically controllers with the same parent Id, and it list them under the appropriate object when you click on one of them.

Quote:
Just tell me one more thing, which controller do not belong here?
Is this a drill?

The wpn_cannon controller, indeed. Governing the way guns work, ts place is in the sim file.
Old 09-10-13, 02:12 PM   #51
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Gap, now you sound like Observer . I need some time to study your post carefully, then i'll come back with probably more questions (i'm such a pain in the ass...)
Old 09-10-13, 02:27 PM   #52
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Gap, now you sound like Observer
More or less ...but much less than more

I have been studying a lot game files (and other's mods) in the last two years, I have digged in the forums for informations, and I have disturbed people who have more experience than me when I couldn't figure out things by myself

Quote:
. I need some time to study your post carefully, then i'll come back with probably more questions (i'm such a pain in the ass...)
I will be glad to keep helping you if I can
Old 09-11-13, 02:46 AM   #53
tonschk
Admiral

Downloads: 172
Uploads: 0

Quote:
For our purposes, we can define a controller as group of closely related properties, controlling the way an object works or interacts with other objects in the SH5 world. Most controllers have one or more configurable parameters, whereas others are not configurable. Controllers must be assigned to 3d objects and/or to particles in order to be applied in game, and when their owner objects are destroyed, they stop working. Objects and particles are stored into dat or GR2 files. Their controllers are located into binary files with various extensions. The most common ones are:

- .zon: contain controllers whose function is to control the way an object interacts with other object, giving or receiving damage from them;

- .dsd: used for sound controllers;

- .cam: used for camera controllers (firts person views, scope views, gun sights, etc);

- .fx: used for linking special effects to an object;

- .val: used mostly for ships wake controllers;

- .prt: used for linking an object to a second object in another file;

- .sim: this is the most widely used file type, and it can contain a big variety of controllers whose function is generally to set the way an object moves, behaves or works.

One last note: every object, particle or controller got an unique id and a parent id (you can see them more easily by opening one of the aforementioned files in s3d). This is the way they are linked to each other and referred to in game. Rarely node/bone names are used instead. When you merge two files in Goblin Editor, it sorts automatically controllers with the same parent Id, and it list them under the appropriate object when you click on one of them.
Thank you Gap
tonschk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-13, 11:56 AM   #54
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:

In any case, adding the appropriate damage boxes to the two scope objects through UBoot_Sensors.zon, should be enough to make them vulnerable.
This won't work...All periscopes are fully functioanl when HP reach 0%...

Quote:

From the wpn_SubTorpedoSys controller, I know that torpedo tube functionalities are linked to the torpedo door models located in data/Submarine/NSS_Uboat7*/Submarine Parts/Room_EXT - Torp Doors + Anim.GR2. This file has not zon file attached, so you should create one, and add damage boxes to it for each door.
Also nothing... i even tried to create new sim file for torpedo door animation and to copy wpn_SubTorpedoSys controller settings from main submarine .sim file , HP reach 0% but tubes are fully functional... I think, it must be somethink because of UPC files settings...Some linking or something...
Old 09-11-13, 01:10 PM   #55
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
This won't work...All periscopes are fully functioanl when HP reach 0%...
I have a few questions, if you don't mind:

1 - to which bones have you attached exactly the scope damage boxes?
2 - which zones have you used for the new boxes?
3 - since the periscopes keep working, how do you know that their HP's have reached 0? Have you made them destructible?

Quote:
Also nothing... i even tried to create new sim file for torpedo door animation and to copy wpn_SubTorpedoSys controller settings from main submarine .sim file
You don't need to do it: since the controller contains references to the external tube models, the game should know already that they are functionally related to the torpedo launching. I am surprised that after moving the controller, torpedo tubes still worked. Try this instead: in the Tubes section of wpn_SubTorpedoSys, add the full path to the animated tube models. E.g:

NSS_Uboat7a_Door01_FRU_anim,data\Submarine\NSS_Ubo at7a\Submarine Parts\Room_EXT - Torp Doors + Anim

instead of:

NSS_Uboat7a_Door01_FRU_anim

Quote:
HP reach 0% but tubes are fully functional... I think, it must be somethink because of UPC files settings...Some linking or something...
from data\UPCDataGE\UPCUnitsData\Weapons.upc:

Code:
[Weapon 10]
ID= TorpedoTube533Ger
NameDisplayable= 53.3cm Torpedo Tube
FunctionalType= WpTorpedoTube
WeaponInterval= 1930-12-01, 1946-12-01
WeaponSlotType= TorpedoTube
AmmoTypesAccepted= T1Torpedo, T1Fat1Torpedo, T2Torpedo, T3Torpedo, T3Fat2Torpedo, T4Torpedo, T5Torpedo, T7Torpedo, T11Torpedo, T1Lut1Torpedo, T3Lut2Torpedo
AmmoTypeLoaded= NULL
AmmoMagazineRemaining= 0   		;Not used
AmmoMagazineSize= 1
LeadersSlots=0
WeaponCrewMembersSlots= 0
ExternalLinkName3D= NULL
Hitpoints= 100
DamageDescription1= NULL,	0,	0.2,	0,	1,	1,	Jam,			0,	0,	NULL,	1,	0.3,	0.2
DamageDescription2= NULL,	0,	1,	0,	0.5,	1,	Chamber Explosion,	50,	5,	NULL,	1,	2,	10 ;skill over 1 for unserviceable/destroyed gun
Look at the two DamageDescription rows, third entries from last. They set efficency reduction (as a fraction of 1, where 1 = 100% efficiency loss) at various damage levels. As you can see they bot are set to 1

The same for periscopes (in Equipment.upc):

Code:
[Equipment 18]
ID=EqpAttackPeriscope
NameDisplayable= Attack Periscope
FunctionalType= EqFTypePeriscopeBody
EquipmentInterval= NULL, NULL
EquipmentSlotType=NULL
ExternalLinkName3D= NULL
Hitpoints= 100
DamageDescription1= NULL,	0,	0.2,	0,	1,	1,	small malfunction,		0,	0,	NULL,	0.3,	0.4,	4
DamageDescription2= NULL,	0.2,	0.6,	0,	1,	1,	Misaligned Axis,		0,	0,	NULL, 	0.5,	0.4,	10
DamageDescription3= NULL,	0.6,	1,	0,	1,	1,	fuse blown,			0,	0,	NULL,	1,	0.2,	15

[Equipment 19]
ID=EqpObsPeriscope
NameDisplayable= Observation Periscope
EquipmentSlotType=NULL
ExternalLinkName3D= NULL
Hitpoints= 100
DamageDescription1= NULL,	0,	0.2,	0,	1,	1,	small malfunction,		0,	0,	NULL,	0.3,	0.4,	4
DamageDescription2= NULL,	0.2,	0.6,	0,	1,	1,	Misaligned Axis,		0,	0,	NULL, 	0.5,	0.4,	10

[Equipment 20]
ID=EqpAttackPeriscopeHead
NameDisplayable= Attack Periscope Head
FunctionalType= EqFTypePeriscopeHead
EquipmentSlotType=NULL
ExternalLinkName3D= atack_periscop,data\Objects\Sensors\UBoot_Sensors
Hitpoints= 100

[Equipment 21]
ID=EqpObsPeriscopeHead
NameDisplayable= Observation Periscope Head
EquipmentSlotType=NULL
ExternalLinkName3D= obs_periscop,data\Objects\Sensors\UBoot_Sensors
Hitpoints= 100

[Equipment 22]
ID=EqpAttackPeriscopeHeadStealth
EquipmentSlotType=NULL
ExternalLinkName3D= atack_periscop_wire,data\Objects\Sensors\UBoot_Sensors
Hitpoints= 100

[Equipment 23]
ID=EqpObsPeriscopeHeadStealth
EquipmentSlotType=NULL
ExternalLinkName3D= obs_periscop_wire,data\Objects\Sensors\UBoot_Sensors
Hitpoints= 100
Up to 20% HP damage: 30% efficency reduction
from 20 to 60% HP damage: 50% efficency reduction
from 60% to 100% HP damage: 100% efficency reduction.

To the best of my knowledge, the problem is not in upc settings.
Old 09-11-13, 02:48 PM   #56
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Sry for late replay, i wasn't at home...

Quote:
I have a few questions, if you don't mind:

1 - to which bones have you attached exactly the scope damage boxes?
2 - which zones have you used for the new boxes?
3 - since the periscopes keep working, how do you know that their HP's have reached 0? Have you made them destructible?
Here's picture...
http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/4280/kk7d.jpg
If i understood this correctly, obj.extensible conntroler should be disabled when HP reach 0, right?

3. Well, after excessive fire from destroyer and when 0% is shown in damage meny, i guess it should be o HP,right?

Quote:
You don't need to do it: since the controller contains references to the external tube models, the game should know already that they are functionally related to the torpedo launching. I am surprised that after moving the controller, torpedo tubes still worked. Try this instead: in the Tubes section of wpn_SubTorpedoSys, add the full path to the animated tube models. E.g:

NSS_Uboat7a_Door01_FRU_anim,data\Submarine\NSS_Ubo at7a\Submarine Parts\Room_EXT - Torp Doors + Anim

instead of:

It's really hart to track what i have all ready tried... Now i'll try your suggestion...
Quote:

Code:
[Weapon 10]
ID= TorpedoTube533Ger
NameDisplayable= 53.3cm Torpedo Tube
FunctionalType= WpTorpedoTube
WeaponInterval= 1930-12-01, 1946-12-01
WeaponSlotType= TorpedoTube
AmmoTypesAccepted= T1Torpedo, T1Fat1Torpedo, T2Torpedo, T3Torpedo, T3Fat2Torpedo, T4Torpedo, T5Torpedo, T7Torpedo, T11Torpedo, T1Lut1Torpedo, T3Lut2Torpedo
AmmoTypeLoaded= NULL
AmmoMagazineRemaining= 0   		;Not used
AmmoMagazineSize= 1
LeadersSlots=0
WeaponCrewMembersSlots= 0
ExternalLinkName3D= NULL
Hitpoints= 100
DamageDescription1= NULL,	0,	0.2,	0,	1,	1,	Jam,			0,	0,	NULL,	1,	0.3,	0.2
DamageDescription2= NULL,	0,	1,	0,	0.5,	1,	Chamber Explosion,	50,	5,	NULL,	1,	2,	10 ;skill over 1 for unserviceable/destroyed gun
Look at the two DamageDescription rows, third entries from last. They set efficency reduction (as a fraction of 1, where 1 = 100% efficiency loss) at various damage levels. As you can see they bot are set to 1

The same for periscopes (in Equipment.upc):

Code:
[Equipment 18]
ID=EqpAttackPeriscope
NameDisplayable= Attack Periscope
EquipmentSlotType=NULL
ExternalLinkName3D= NULL
Hitpoints= 100

[Equipment 19]
ID=EqpObsPeriscope
NameDisplayable= Observation Periscope
EquipmentSlotType=NULL
ExternalLinkName3D= NULL
Hitpoints= 100

[Equipment 20]
ID=EqpAttackPeriscopeHead
EquipmentSlotType=NULL
ExternalLinkName3D= atack_periscop,data\Objects\Sensors\UBoot_Sensors
Hitpoints= 100

[Equipment 21]
ID=EqpObsPeriscopeHead
EquipmentSlotType=NULL
ExternalLinkName3D= obs_periscop,data\Objects\Sensors\UBoot_Sensors
Hitpoints= 100

[Equipment 22]
ID=EqpAttackPeriscopeHeadStealth
EquipmentSlotType=NULL
ExternalLinkName3D= atack_periscop_wire,data\Objects\Sensors\UBoot_Sensors
Hitpoints= 100

[Equipment 23]
ID=EqpObsPeriscopeHeadStealth
EquipmentSlotType=NULL
ExternalLinkName3D= obs_periscop_wire,data\Objects\Sensors\UBoot_Sensors
Hitpoints= 100
Up to 20% HP damage: 30% efficency reduction
from 20 to 60% HP damage: 50% efficency reduction
from 60% to 100% HP damage: 100% efficency reduction.

To the best of my knowledge, the problem is not in upc settings.
What's the purpose of the marked lines?
Old 09-12-13, 05:35 AM   #57
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
From your screenie I see that the dmg box you have created doesn't envelop any scope. There should be one box and a few collision spheres for each periscope, and they should physically contain their owner object.

Moreover, IIRC, at least for some U-boat models New UIs replaces the regular periscope models with the "twisty" type (obs_periscop_wire and atack_periscop_wire). You should add collision spheres and damage boxes to them too.

Quote:
If i understood this correctly, obj.extensible conntroler should be disabled when HP reach 0, right?
Yes, and the CamUserData controller too, as long as:

- each scope got its own SH3ZonesCtrl controller in UBoot_Sensors.zon;
- the SH3ZonesCtrl controller contains sphere(s) and a box covering at least part ot the 3d model.

Collision spheres are dispensable on some equipments, as the game can use the spheres of the main unit (the U-boat hull in our case), but since the scopes can protrude considerably from boat's profile, it is better having them in this particular case.

Another important element of SH5 damage, are collision meshes, i.e. a low poly 3d model which, similarly to spheres and boxes, contains the visible model. Among the items contained in UBoot_Sensors.GR2, only the pedestal UZO and another sensor which I couldn't identificate got collision spheres. I hope this is not going to be a problem.

Quote:
3. Well, after excessive fire from destroyer and when 0% is shown in damage meny, i guess it should be o HP,right?
I don't trust the damage management menu: as you probably have noticed, it displayed damages to equipments which were lacking damage boxes before you fixed them

Quote:
It's really hart to track what i have all ready tried... Now i'll try your suggestion...
Paths to submarine parts should be hardcoded and thus not required, but with all the mess devs did on the game, you never know

Quote:
What's the purpose of the marked lines?
This is the link to the 3d model which is functionlly related to each equipment set in upc files. Some equipments, like the torpedo tubes, miss a model but are linked (I ignore how... maybe it is hardcoded) directly to their respective controller on the main unit (wpn_SubTorpedoSys for t-tubes). This can be a problem for our purposes. I only hope that the animated torpedo doors referenced in wpn_SubTorpedoSys are not there just for eyecandy.

Talking about periscopes, it is even more complicated. We have six equipment definitions. The first two (one for obs and one for attack scope) are classified functionally as "PeriscopeBody", and are not linked to any 3d object. The last four have a functionality type "PeriscopeHead", and each of them is linked to one of the 3d periscopes contained in UBoot_Sensors.GR2. I ignore why scope functionalities have been split in two though.
Old 09-12-13, 09:07 AM   #58
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Try this instead: in the Tubes section of wpn_SubTorpedoSys, add the full path to the animated tube models. E.g:

instead of:

I have tried this with default sub .sim file and with two damage boxes in new torp animation .zon file, one for hatch and one for that other movable thing in front of the hatch, with damage description bowtorpedotubes(which is description for tube 1) and still nothing... It's just that animation is killed and torpedo passing strait through the hatch...

I think i'll do a bit more research, if nothing, i'll concentrate my efforts to merge all the changes so far in order to make first official version of the mod for all playable submarines...I have also some interesting ideas for equipment repair times, for example, to make that engines or batteries after receiving damage could never be repaired to 100% of functionality and so on...

Quote:
From your screenie I see that the dmg box you have created doesn't envelop any scope. There should be one box and a few collision spheres for each periscope, and they should physically contain their owner object.
O yes they do...It's one large zone for better "damage collecting"...

And also , why so many scopes in sensor.gr2? Shouldn't there be only two?
Old 09-12-13, 09:27 AM   #59
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
I have tried this with default sub .sim file and with two damage boxes in new torp animation .zon file, one for hatch and one for that other movable thing in front of the hatch, with damage description bowtorpedotubes(which is description for tube 1) and still nothing... It's just that animation is killed and torpedo passing strait through the hatch...
You have just demonstrated that the animated torpedo doors cab be killed if they are set correctly.

Your test also demonstrates the limit that I was talkin about in my previous post: not being linked to any particular 3d object, torpedo tube equipment set in the upc file keeps being operational even after the torpedo doors objects are destroyed. Maybe there's a workaround for this, but it is going to be tricky

Quote:
I think i'll do a bit more research, if nothing, i'll concentrate my efforts to merge all the changes so far in order to make first official version of the mod for all playable submarines...I have also some interesting ideas for equipment repair times, for example, to make that engines or batteries after receiving damage could never be repaired to 100% of functionality and so on...
Good plan! Can't wait for the release date of your mod with the features you have described above
Old 09-12-13, 10:06 AM   #60
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
O yes they do...It's one large zone for better "damage collecting"...
not in your screenie. In any case, making damage boxes bigger than their owner objects won't help. Collisions are detected at the 3d model/3d collion model and at the collision spheres level. The game look at boxes only after having detected a collision.

Quote:
And also , why so many scopes in sensor.gr2? Shouldn't there be only two?
[1 type VII attack scope + 1 type VII observation scope + 1 type II scope] x 2 (regular shape and twisty shape) = 6